The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
You know what, rmay - I know that's what Sarah has said in the past, but has there ever been any independent corroboration of that? I find it really hard to believe that HM would have denied Sarah the same happiness that she herself found as the wife of a serviceman, away from London. Certainly by this time, Prince William had been born so there would not even have been the pressing need of Andrew or his children as heir.

My point being....Sarah's interviews and books may have said that the BRF restricted her from joining Andrew, but her truthfulness has taken some really severe hits of late, and I'm not inclined to believe her on that count any longer. It's just too convenient for the Sarah-As-Victim paradigm that she espouses.
Well - that's the problem when someone is caught lying: you don't trust anything they say anymore.

I don't think we should take Sarah's current denial of the truth to be characteristic of all her past statements, though. Sarah seems to be really in desperate straits right now, trying to convince everyone (I personally think she is trying to convince herself as much as anyone else) that she didn't sell access to Andrew.

As far as living with Andrew on the naval base, though, maybe the Queen suggested that Sarah stay in London, Andrew went along with that because "it's just the way things are," and Sarah wanted to please Andrew. They were just newlyweds, and I don't think either of them realized that the separations would take a toll on their marriage. So at first maybe it didn't seem like such a bad idea.

Reading over some of the latest posts, I think that Sarah's current behaviour is making it easy to think of her as greedy and self-interested from day one, and I don't think that's fair. She's always had those weaknesses, but should we discount her better traits? The reason I became interested in Sarah and Andrew in the first place is because I thought that both of them looked like they were so in love. And even now, although the family dynamic is dysfunctional in some ways, I don't think it's just built on Sarah's manipulations or Andrew's spinelessness. There's more to it than that - the problem is that Sarah is letting her inner troubles overshadow everything else right now.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Reading over some of the latest posts, I think that Sarah's current behaviour is making it easy to think of her as greedy and self-interested from day one, and I don't think that's fair. She's always had those weaknesses, but should we discount her better traits? The reason I became interested in Sarah and Andrew in the first place is because I thought that both of them looked like they were so in love. And even now, although the family dynamic is dysfunctional in some ways, I don't think it's just built on Sarah's manipulations or Andrew's spinelessness. There's more to it than that - the problem is that Sarah is letting her inner troubles overshadow everything else right now.
I don't really see the 'Finding Sarah' show as that bad, really. Bad television, maybe, but to precipitate such extreme measures against her - I don't know. However, if this show called 'Big Brother' - which I know nothing about but can guess from comments made here - is anything like reality 'game' shows in the US - then, yes, she has stepped from the place of making a respectable living (author, commentator, etc) to something else - and that is worrisome for her. Something is off.

Watching her - listening to her talk - the way she talks a mile-a-minute getting out the 'spin' about herself - I'd be concerned. As this may be 'The Firm' - it is still a family with relationships and obligations to human beings. Care needs to be taken here, I think.

By 22 much is already set. Sarah's two daughters love their mother and that is the primary relationship, as well as to their father. That family unit, however unorthodox by BRF sensibilities, remains the primary unit - and it would be a unit even if Andrew were remarried. The Grandparents in this instance are 'powerful' but that does not change that its not a good idea for grandparents to pull rank because of social rank, money and influence.

I know there is a general disdain for Dr Phil's work - however, he would be someone they could safely contact - or someone could contact in all confidence - to do an Intervention. It wouldn't have to be him - but someone he recommends - or someone else altogether (I mention him only because Sarah purports to respect him) - but my point is that it is a human beings's stability - Sarah's - that should be the prime focus - not BRF PR for once. It needs to be done with genuine caring - for the daughters' sake as much as Sarah's. Those young women must never be put in the position of having to choose between their mother and the BRF - that would be too cruel and ultimately would backfire. If there was a successful alienation from Sarah - it would be devastating for Sarah - and ultimately for her daughters. The daughters are adults - they need to be free to work out their own arrangements with their parents - not have it done by edict, so to speak.

If the daughters have to make a living - they may well choose some element of media. They certainly have shown a flair for the dramatic attention-getting gesture so maybe there is a natural talent in that direction. If they don't marry 'well' - monied - then they will have to work and media pays well for the young and talented.

However, I would hope this RF has learned a bit of caution when it comes to media driven hoopla over anything. Not the best time to make a decision - and certainly the media and the reaction to media are not the best stakeholders at the table when considering family members' fates - and an ex-inlaw is a family member.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Courtier

Interesting article about her travels in the last year.
Air Miles Andy: now here's Phileas Fergie who has gone around the word in 20 trips | Mail Online
Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Serene Highness

Regarding Dr Phil - but especially Suze Ormond - no therapy really happened. Dr Phil stopped 'doing his thing' very early on - and Suze Ormond never got to square one - Sarah 'wasn't playin' ' as the saying goes. Suze said it: you know, Sarah, most people look at what you have, the place you live, the vacations, and they do not see financial problems (or some such). Can't recall it precisely - but after seeing the whole 6 shows and the fact that Suze shows up once and no more - without an iota of financial counseling being shown - I don't think Sarah 'allowed' the real numbers to be crunched on air - and Suze Ormond bugged out. I think the people on this 'Finding Sarah' gig went in with the best on intentions - but I think Sarah may have proved to be surprisingly slippery - and the goal - whatever it was - was never really reached.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Tyger - the "goal" was probably never reached because it wasn't meant to.
What would be the fun in Sarah acquiescing to be "a good girl" in the future when there are still other possibilities to exploit .......
Old 08-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Tyger - the "goal" was probably never reached because it wasn't meant to.
What would be the fun in Sarah acquiescing to be "a good girl" in the future when there are still other possibilities to exploit .......
Well, they certainly tried to 'sell' that they had reached some sort of zenith of transformation. Wasn't convincing but there it was.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Aristocracy

This morning there was an article in the Daily Mail nick-naming Sarah as Phineas Ferguson after the man in Around the World in 80 Days. The quotes from her spokesman were... not helpful to Sarah's image.

The spokesman said that people need to leave Sarah alone because she is not actually paying for these extravagant and frequent holidays. Rather the half that aren't work-related are generously paid for by her friends. Yes, that's right.

Of course, this enables her to live a fitting lifestyle not allowed by her GBP 100,000 a year income which is because of "her own hard work."

Head. Desk.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Courtier

Wow, if that's being bankrupt & homeless, sign me up!

(reference: Air Miles Andy: now here's Phileas Fergie who has gone around the word in 20 trips | Mail Online )
Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Could we possibly agree that both Andy and Fergie have a penchant for jet-setting ? That would make everything so much easier...
Old 08-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I think most people in the UK could get by quite nicely on an annual income of 100,000 GBP, even pay down a few IOUs. They could probably get a mortgage on a descent home too, so no reason for her to camp out at Royal Lodge anymore.

Good for you Sarah, now please go on your away.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Serene Highness

The daughters themselves had to give consent. And of course Sarah had to ask them (and remember, Sarah and her people pitched the show to Oprah; Oprah is a businesswoman, she said "Show me your preview reel," and on that reel (debuted way before the show ever aired) were the innocent looking 2 daughters, appearing not to realize that they were going to be spliced into a larger show.

Sarah and her own managers are the ones who forked over that tape.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Royal Highness

Of course and Oprah went ahead and ran the shows with Sarah's daughter's in tears over their mother's misfortune. Oprah is, of course, going to keep those scenes, it makes for drama which increases (hopefully) the audience. Here are the poor daughters, suffering from the treatment their mother is getting from the press and the Royal Family.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:29 AM
Courtier

If Sarah really didn't want the girls in the show she could off stopped it but didn't. In fact she seems to relish the tears of beatrice she keeps pushing her to say she has changed. Instead of hugging her and telling it would ok. Sarah wants to hear she has changed and clearly she hasnt and I think Beatrice was more sad that she hadn't and wasn't going too. Having the girls in gives Sarah more prestige here are two Princess and the filming that was done at Royal Lodge all done to show she still has Royal links. Of course we know she doesn't have access to most of the members of the family only Andrew when she needs something and the girls. She needs to be kicked out of Royal Lodge and there is no reason she can't rent a place of her own if she is earning over a hundred thousand pounds a year. I would like to know how they came up with that figure!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that perhaps Sarah objected at first, but when Oprah pushed it, she caved in.
This is a speculation.

Quote:
I don't know the true facts of course
Correct.

Quote:
but it was really unthinkable to use one's children to make a show. I blame Oprah because she wanted the ratings.
Interesting - it was Sarah who offered the use of her daughters but its Oprah's 'blame'? Sounds like Sarah giving excuses - you've just done it for her.

Quote:
Sarah's show didn't help Oprah
It didn't hurt Oprah, either. Interest may have petered out for the later episodes, but it was respectable for a new network.

Quote:
her OWN is gasping for it's last breath.
I don't understand your animus. OWN is a brand-new business venture launched in an extreme economic environment. Not sure what your criteria is for 'gasping its last breath'.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
This is a speculation.

I don't understand your animus. OWN is a brand-new business venture launched in an extreme economic environment. Not sure what your criteria is for 'gasping its last breath'.
50,000 average daily viewers would probably meet my definition of "gasping." But of course, your mileage may vary.

Oprah’s OWN Network Ratings Continue to Suffer as Jenny McCarthy Backs Out | TV Smack Talk

RATINGS
OWN hasn’t even reached the numbers of the channel it replaced, “Discovery Health”.
Let’s take a look at some numbers from March 2011:
In 2010 Discovery Health for women ages 25-54 averaged 51,000 viewers. During Prime time this number was 84,000. OWN is right around the 50,000 average and 83,000 prime time. These were the numbers back in March. They have declined further since.
Other networks are eating OWN’s lunch, here’s a look at the average viewers back in March 2011:

Lifetime 404,000
Oxygen 137,000
Hallmark 94,000
OWN 83,0000
(end quote from article)

And those are from March; since then the ratings have continued to plunge. Latest numbers are more like 26,000 average daily viewers. That's beyond gasping, that's reaching for the defibrillator.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Could we possibly agree that both Andy and Fergie have a penchant for jet-setting ? That would make everything so much easier...
Not quite sure what you mean here....I don't see that anyone is arguing against that viewpoint. They both sure get around!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Please note that ALL off topic posts that have NOTHING to do with Sarah's Interview and Television Appearances have been deleted.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Aristocracy

Fergie's right royal 60 Minutes flush | thetelegraph.com.au
Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Serene Highness

The look on her face in the picture - she's blowing her PR attempt!

Quote from the article: "Ferguson was strangely shocked when asked to watch News Of The World footage of her offering to sell access to Prince Andrew, but Scott said it was unnecessary because she had seen it - and was happy to answer questions about it."

Now I am seriously puzzled: had she not been claiming that she had not seen the NOTW video? 60 Minutes providing the video for her to view is then inspired IMO.

What can be going on in Sarah's mind: "But Thomson was last night mystified.'She agreed to talk about the issue, as she has already extensively done, so it certainly wasn't entrapment,' he said."

Is it possible that she thought this would be a pitch to the US market? So she was ambivalent about viewing the video that she claimed she had never seen. Seeing it - having the slo-mo and re-play she would have to answer the hard-hitting questions without being able to say 'I haven't seen the video - anyone who sees it knows my version of the incident is accurate." ?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Courtier

I've been struck by how defensive Sarah gets when she's asked about the NOTW incident, as if she's offended that anyone would even bring it up. I'm specifically thinking of one of the Finding Sarah episodes I watched and a print interview she did around the same time. If she was a private individual leading a private life she'd have no obligation to discuss it but as someone who's enthusiastically trying to make herself into a public person and rehabilitate her public image then she's got to expect people are going to mention what was, after all, a pretty huge error in judgement.