The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Just because you're good friends doesn't mean you have to move in to your ex-husbands house while your home is being repaired.

Does she not have family that can put her up; with her money can't she just call up her real estate broker and say she needs something temporary? My parents did and they had a lot less money than Sarah.

People lose their homes all the time; they just don't move back with their exes when it happens.

I'm sorry; its just too strange for words.
I find it strange too. The fact that the media is aware that she is staying at Andrews keeps the cost of Andrew and the girls to the taxpayers on the media's front burner. The "freeloading" Fergie label doesn't die either.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness

It totally doesn't surprise me that Sarah is moving back in with Andrew, because in a lot of ways I don't think she ever really moved out. She has a suite of rooms at Royal Lodge, plus Dolphin House (the place of the fire) is apparently just walking distance from Royal Lodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Isn't Andrew away for two weeks in the US at the moment? So they don't really live together, she sleeps in his home, which is just round the corner as long as her own house is being repaired. She is close by, so can oversee the workmen while having a close look at Beatrice during the time her father is away.
That's a good point. Actually, if Andrew is gone to the US for two weeks and Sarah spends 2-3 weeks in the US, it sounds like they'd be more likely to see each other there than at Andrew's home in England.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I agree with you, what ever happened to the independent woman? All she has to do is rent somewhere close, instead of sponging off her ex!

Weird!
Skydragon, am I the only one who feels that these two are still an item, but without the problems and duties of a Royal position for her and with the freedom to date (and else) whoever they like? Plus she can cash on her Royal connections and make money for the next generation while he adds the right Royal background for their girls. Sounds like a perfect arrangement to me!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness

I just don't understand the sharp words and hostility over this situation, as if Andrew is a dupe that is being used by a hussy with a gun to his head. They are still close and enjoy a good relationship. This isn't some kind of scandal. Andrew can have whomever he pleases stay in his own house, whatever the reason.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
I just don't understand the sharp words and hostility over this situation, as if Andrew is a dupe that is being used by a hussy with a gun to his head. They are still close and enjoy a good relationship. This isn't some kind of scandal. Andrew can have whomever he pleases stay in his own house, whatever the reason.
kimebear, IMO the reaction isn't so much about the fact that they are friends or that she's using a room there for a while. To me, it's mostly irritation about the way the press presents it with their silly misleading headlines. Though, I suppose "Andrew lets Sarah stay in a spare room while her house is repaired" doesn't have quite the same draw.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Agreed. The bland truth rarely sells the same number of papers.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Just because you're good friends doesn't mean you have to move in to your ex-husbands house while your home is being repaired.

Does she not have family that can put her up; with her money can't she just call up her real estate broker and say she needs something temporary? My parents did and they had a lot less money than Sarah.

People lose their homes all the time; they just don't move back with their exes when it happens.

I'm sorry; its just too strange for words.

I concur.

Sarah seems incredibly co-dependent, in my opinion. Yes, I understand she has struck out on her own, made her own money, but she is hardly on her own two feet. If she were she wouldn't have accepted to stay with her Ex. Surely there is another home she could rent whilst her home is being repaired. Or is she really that broke that she cannot afford to rent/let a cottage for several months? Why cannot she stay at a Motel 6 or something? Why does she always run back to Andrew when things go awry?

Quote:
Skydragon, am I the only one who feels that these two are still an item, but without the problems and duties of a Royal position for her and with the freedom to date (and else) whoever they like? Plus she can cash on her Royal connections and make money for the next generation while he adds the right Royal background for their girls. Sounds like a perfect arrangement to me!
No, you're not. I don't believe these two ever got over each other. In fact, I have a feeling they are having fun every now and then. Sarah and Andrew should get back together, remarry, and be done with it.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
No, you're not. I don't believe these two ever got over each other. In fact, I have a feeling they are having fun every now and then. Sarah and Andrew should get back together, remarry, and be done with it.
Could be when Charles is king and Camilla his queen. I doubt both want to have to look the queen and the duke into the eye over christmas morning breakfast...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Heavens, I would love to be a fly on the wall if should ever happen.

I never understood why Sarah keeps leeching off Andrew? She has her own money to take care of herself why stay with him? Are homes that limited in her area that she has to live with him? Why can't she live in a barn on her property while her house is being repaired? Pitch a tent on your front lawn, or something, Sarah... rough it for a few days if you consider yourself so independant.

Ugh, I don't know what to say anymore.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

Leeching is a very harsh term to use here. I would gladly offer my (rather large and mostly empty) home to a friend for a couple of weeks while they were having work done on theirs. I wouldn't consider them leeching off of me in the least, regardless of their financial picture. Sometimes you just want the jolly fun that goes with having guests. I own a number of apartments in the city I live in and have on many occasions offered a place to stay for friends from time to time for numerous reasons. Is that how you would view your friends? Before the advent of rapid transit it was genteel and lovely to have friends and relations come to stay in your home for a month or two at a time. How sad that we have strayed so far from such polite society.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand why it bothers some people so much. They are great pals, maybe even still lovers; she needs somewhere to stay while her home is repaired and he can provide it for her. Why shouldn't he offer and why shouldn't she accept? In my opinion there's no reason why they shouldn't and there are good reasons why they should. It's a lot easier to shift into his place for a while than going through the hassle of renting somewhere. They're not doing anything wrong.

I think that if it wasn't for the Duke's hostility and the fact that Andrew's mother is Queen and marriage to Andrew would impose the Royal machine onto Sarah again, they'd have remarried. In time I think it's likely they'll do just that, and I hope they do.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Courtier

I thought she lived in NY...
Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I concur.

Sarah seems incredibly co-dependent, in my opinion. Yes, I understand she has struck out on her own, made her own money, but she is hardly on her own two feet. If she were she wouldn't have accepted to stay with her Ex. Surely there is another home she could rent whilst her home is being repaired. Or is she really that broke that she cannot afford to rent/let a cottage for several months? Why cannot she stay at a Motel 6 or something? Why does she always run back to Andrew when things go awry?
I don't think Sarah's staying with Andrew because she doesn't have enough money, but because they have a close relationship. I'm sure one of Andrew's first reactions to hearing about her house repairs was "You can stay here", and Sarah accepted. I think it was nice of him.

You're right though, she does always go back to Andrew when things go awry, but I don't think it's because she's not financially independent, it's because she's emotionally dependent on him. Sarah's a pretty conflicted person and I can't guarantee I always understand her, but I think her little secure world with Andrew and her daughters is like the stable family she never had as a child. I don't think she wants to remarry Andrew, but he does give her a family base she can come back to. Both her parents have died and her one sister is in Australia. So she really doesn't have family other than Andrew to go to.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Why does she always run back to Andrew when things go awry?
Perhaps because he always asks her to.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Leeching is a very harsh term to use here. I would gladly offer my (rather large and mostly empty) home to a friend for a couple of weeks while they were having work done on theirs. I wouldn't consider them leeching off of me in the least, regardless of their financial picture. Sometimes you just want the jolly fun that goes with having guests. I own a number of apartments in the city I live in and have on many occasions offered a place to stay for friends from time to time for numerous reasons. Is that how you would view your friends? Before the advent of rapid transit it was genteel and lovely to have friends and relations come to stay in your home for a month or two at a time. How sad that we have strayed so far from such polite society.

Is it? I personally don't think so.

I completely understand that you and others would offer your close friend a home to stay in if they were in Sarah's position, without the money. Nonetheless, Sarah has money... and plenty of it.

This situation is quite strange. I'm sure you have been following their relationship since the beginning, and as you know she has a tendency to latch as well as run back to him during rough times (hence after the divorce now her house is no longer suitable to live in.)

As for the "polite society" comment. Sounds incredibly grandiose/stuffy/19th century; furthermore, just because there are some, specifically me, who find it bizarre doesn't mean we are shunning the notion/idea of "polite society."

Perhaps, I'm too blunt as well as harsh, when it comes to waddling whining women who go back to their Ex's for "help." Please. Essentially, Feminists who care, Gloria Steinem, and Camille Paglia are rolling their eyes at Sarah's behavior.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Courtier

Maybe she never got over Andrew. Was he also having an affair when they split or just her?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Why does Sarah go running back to Andrew? Because he lets her. As long as there are no boundaries, then this will happen time and again. Which makes me wonder what happens if Andrew does indeed decide to hook up with Ysbel? (Or any of our other lovely eligible ladies? ) Who's going to draw the line then? It is my experience that since Sarah has enjoyed this much freedom in her relationship with Andrew, when---and indeed IF it changes someday, what will happen? Will Sarah be upset? Does she have a right to be? Things have been fine so far the way they are, why change it?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Gentry

What do you think? Is this a photo or is this a photomontage?

Fergie flyttar in hos prins Andrew - Svensk Damtidning
Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think that's an actual photo. Although I think I have seen Andrew and Sarah together with Sarah wearing that outfit...I think at a 9/11 anniversary ceremony in New York.

On the topic of what would happen if Andrew found someone else, I think Sarah would totally be upset if Andrew found someone else permanently, though since they're divorced she wouldn't have a right to be...and to give her credit I think she'd probably acknowledge that.

But Andrew never will marry anyone else. I just can't see it happening. And not because women wouldn't be interested; they say divorced men find it much easier to date than divorced women, and I'm sure being a good-looking prince doesn't hurt!

Andrew has had relationships with other women since his divorce, like Angie Everheart, but I don't think he'll ever consider remarrying anyone other than Sarah. He might have been young and immature when he married Sarah but when he married her, he really meant it for life. To the point that even twelve years after their divorce I think he still sees her as the only important woman in his life. I think that says something about Andrew's character...whether you read him as foolish or faithful you can't say he forms attachments lightly.

Sarah on the other hand...I doubt she'll remarry anyone else either. But she was definitely the one having affairs during their marriage. I doubt the idea ever entered Andrew's head.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Montage, it's been photoshopped. Is that Danish??

Tags
duke of york, fergie, living arrangements, prince andrew, royal lodge, sarah duchess of york, windsor