The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I think history has shown that this is just never going to happen. I am always bemused by the dynamics of the York family. Parents divorced but "living" together with the children for years. As to whether they are a "couple", your guess is as good as mine but, whatever else they are, they are a family and a very close one at that!

When you compare the family dynamic against normal (undivorced) families I believe they are in the upper reaches of a "family", which leaves one wondering, why on earth did they ever get divorced?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
My gosh Her Majesty has been quite tolerant of Sarah. IMO the best thing for her to do is leave the Royal Lodge and find her own place, either in LA or South America, grow up and strike out on her own.
I would imagine that even if Sarah did set up residence in LA or even New York, she'd probably still maintain a guest suite for her use at Royal Lodge whenever she "jumped the pond" to visit her daughters or had business in the UK.

Sarah has never been noted for staying in one place very long and I would imagine that flying from LA to the UK would be like most of us driving to McD's for a Big Mac.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Royal Lodge is still owned by the Crown Estate and cannot be disposed of by Andrew or the monarch. He holds a leasehold over the property, which reverts back to the Crown upon expiration.

The Queen paid for the lease and renovations out of her private purse on behalf of her son, so she certainly has the final say about who can and cannot reside there. Obviously, she has no objection to Sarah's living arrangements, which is likely for the sake of her granddaughters.
As a solicitor in the UK I have to clarify a few things.

While the Crown Estate owns the freehold for Royal Lodge Prince Andrew owns a 75 year leasehold. His leasehold trumps the freehold for those 75 years. He can sell this leasehold during those 75 years. The leasehold does not necessarily revert to the Crown upon expiration either, there may be a renewal clause in the leasehold for the benefit of his heirs.

There is absolutely no evidence that the Queen paid for the leasehold and/or renovations. The Daily Mail reports that Prince Andrew paid for both from funds derived from the sale of Sunninghill Park, which Prince Andrew owned both the leasehold and freehold of at the time of sale.

Finally, as Prince Andrew's name is on the leasehold, which anyone can see on property records, he has the final say about who can and who cannot reside in Royal Lodge, legally. Family dynamics can be whatever they want but ultimately Prince Andrew has the law on his side.

For all we know he has left the leasehold of Royal Lodge to Sarah and Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie in his will.

On another level, I do agree that The Queen has no objection to Sarah living there and frankly I don't think The Queen has much objection to Sarah at all.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Courtier

I would actually expect that the Transfer of the Leasehold Interest to Andrew would have included clauses about its disposal, if only to ensure that there are no taxation difficulties on death and inheritance etc. I therefore think that although it is of course theoretically possible that Andrew has left his interest in the property to his former wife and daughters, [and although I have not got a shred of evidence to support my contention], my gut feeling is that Sarah will not be a beneficiary when it comes to Royal Lodge.

As to whether the Queen has any objection to Sarah, I suppose the real answer is that we will never know! My own gut feeling however is that the Queen probably views Sarah in two different lights: the personal level and the wider level. On a personal level, I daresay the Queen is able to regard Sarah and have dealings with her in an 'affable' way; Sarah is, after all, the mother of two of the Queen's granddaughters and was born into a family with close sporting [polo] connections to the BRF. And I have never regarded the Queen as confrontational. On a wider level however, my experience of the BRF is that the Queen is concerned, above all, to preserve the BRF and that the Queen is not tolerant of anything that might be a threat to the BRF or the Royal image. On this basis, I am sure that many of Sarah's actions and her behaviour over the years has done much to vex the Queen. I have noticed over the years that the Queen tends to operate in a rather laissez-faire manner; I would imagine that she was not best pleased about Royal Lodge appearing in the 'Finding Sarah' documentary and I am fairly sure that the Queen, as monarch, was appalled by the 'sobbing princesses' [ as, I think, were many members of TRF]. But in my work I have seen that the way the BRF operates is not by 'ranting and raving'. Mostly, when the Queen disapproves of something, it is her practice NOT to tackle the subject matter or the person herself, but to 'have a quiet word with her private secretary', who himself then 'has a quiet word with the 'offender's private secretary'. Which of course all helps to keep things one level below the Queen's personal involvement. And so I suspect that any 'ticking off' would have been private secretary to [Andrew's] private secretary, along the lines of 'The Queen did not like.........[insert the incident] and does not wish it to occur again'.

Only my opinions,

Alex
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Courtier

Regardless of what HM feels and in spite of Sarah's faults, I do think that Andrew does have a huge sense of responsibility towards Sarah as she is the Mother of his children. This will also never change. With all the up and downs in both of their lives, I am surprised that they have managed to cultivate and maintain a friendship but good for them. I still think the two of them together is still a firm recipe for disaster but I suppose what they have now "works" for them and they obviously know where the boundaries lie.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Gentry

I recently saw a picture of Sarah Ferguson skiing in Switzerland. Considering she recently had a "reality" show where she complained about being broke (again) and I'm wondering how she can afford expensive trips. What is her current source of income?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

this is her annual holiday with Andrew and her daughters. He rents somewhere and she stays with them, presumably as their guest. Her income is irrelevant.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Cepe is right, her income is irrelevent. She is, often, a guest or something to the hosts and when she is at Andrew's I, think, they try to hide that, in many ways they are still a couple.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Her income is irrelevant, but at the same time I think an argument could be made that her income is Andrew - even without the cash for access stuff, he still supports her.

Whether they're just really good friends (in which case I think Sarah takes advantage of him), a secret couple, or simply just beni-friends is a bit beyond the point. He is still supporting her.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Majesty

I don't think Sarah's income is my business but I think she has made some money from her books, speaking engagements and the movie, 'The Young Victoria.' Also, I think Andrew is a great help to her.

Despite all the stuff they have been through, they still remain a close and loving family. I think it's a beautiful thing the Yorks have going on.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Courtier

When she was on Oprah she admitted she was almost bankrupt and that was after the movie and the books. Her last book barely sold anything she doesn't have her own money. She got a couple of hundred thousand for Oprah which would be gone by now so who else is supporting her but Andrew. She doesn't work, her books are not selling and she has no other income coming in. Basically Sarah is a kept woman and while she get's to go on expensive fully paid holidays and invited to 3 day weddings in exotic places where others pick up the tab she doesn't seem to want to change anything. That is why I have so little respect for Sarah her work ethic is pretty much non existant yet she dines in 5 star places and holidays a lot. If Andrew is ok about it as he seems it's his own problem because she won't ever go and stand on her own two feet while she has him happy to clean up messes and support her when really he shouldn't be.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Courtier

It's his choice. It's none of our business.

LaRae
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Majesty

I agree, that's his ex-wife and that's the mother of his children. If he want to help her in any way he can, that's his business. I would like to think I would do the samething for my ex-wife, if we were good friends.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Gentry

Gee, I'm sorry I seemed to offend so many people with my question re: Sarah's finances. I thought it was a fair question since she put the info out herself that she is often broke. I just wondered how she supports herself. The picture I saw of her skiing did not show Andrew or the girls anywhere near so I had no way of knowing she was a guest of theirs.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

I admire Andrew. Even though they are no longer legally married, he seems to be keeping his marriage vows. How many girlfriends has he had since they divorced? I don't know; perhaps someone can clue me.

I don't give a whit about how he spends his money. I just think that they are "life partners."

Tags
duke of york, fergie, living arrangements, prince andrew, royal lodge, sarah duchess of york, windsor