The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I doubt she would have married him if he were not a member of the BRF. You dont go from being girlfriend of a billionaire in a Swiss ski lodge to the wife of an ordinary naval Lieutenant living in married quarters in Portsmouth.
We can look at it as doutbful that any of the royal spouses, past or present, would have ended up w the husbands/wives they did had those husbands/wives not been royal. I mean really, does anyone think Pss Diana would have given Charles the time of day if he were an ordinary farmer? And would career-woman Sophie bothered with Edward if he weren't the son of the monarch? I've even wondered if the dashing Prince Philip would have even glanced at Pss Elizabeth if she weren't the heir to the throne. And it's not to say these people don't truly love their spouses now, but would they even have been in the running were it not for the royal blood? I have no doubt there is genuine love between Wm and Kate, but would he have been that interesting as just Wm Wales? Would she have hung on that long for a ring? Maybe. Maybe not.
And it's not just royalty. Think of all the rich and famous. Would they the glamorous spouses they have if they worked in a bank or in a shop or as a lab technician? Really?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
We can look at it as doutbful that any of the royal spouses, past or present, would have ended up w the husbands/wives they did had those husbands/wives not been royal. I mean really, does anyone think Pss Diana would have given Charles the time of day if he were an ordinary farmer? And would career-woman Sophie bothered with Edward if he weren't the son of the monarch? I've even wondered if the dashing Prince Philip would have even glanced at Pss Elizabeth if she weren't the heir to the throne. And it's not to say these people don't truly love their spouses now, but would they even have been in the running were it not for the royal blood? I have no doubt there is genuine love between Wm and Kate, but would he have been that interesting as just Wm Wales? Would she have hung on that long for a ring? Maybe. Maybe not.
And it's not just royalty. Think of all the rich and famous. Would they the glamorous spouses they have if they worked in a bank or in a shop or as a lab technician? Really?
I get your point but what I meant was that IMO Sarah was looking to grasp the golden ring. Paddy McNally didnt offer up a wedding ring so Sarah moved off. Her family were on the fringe of the Royal family friends, she knew Andrew as a child, so a proposal wasnt too odd. Lt Andrew Windsor, RN, however was not a man she was likely to meet or to think of as husband material. Just not enough money or social standing.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Lets get back on topic.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Nobility

Please I am not excusing the infidelity at all. Huge mistake there. But as I recall, the media was nasty towards her before that. And with her hubby away and not much support from the RF, that could prove to be too much for her.

I am certain that she knew very well, that he had to serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well Sarah gave the press lots to work with. The pics of her and the girls with Steve Wyatt and then the infamous toe sucking pics with her financial adviser didn't exactly portray Sarah as the injured party in the Yorks marriage.

It is still hard to work up a lot of sympathy towards her today. Lots of people are married to service men and women on active duty all over the world, with far less resources than Sarah had available back then, but they don't necessarily embark on affairs with 3rd parties while their spouses are away on duty. Really, what did she think a naval officer did when she got married? Did she really expect he would be home every night, that he wouldn't be expected to serve at sea?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Seriously folks....please be civil and polite when discussing Sarah and Andrew. So no name calling or making snarky remarks.

Those will be deleted without notice.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

When Charles takes the throne, I'm wondering how this will affect Andrew and Sarah?
The Queen has never forced the issue, but will Charles allow her to remain at Royal Lodge, or will he insist she move out?

He will basically control the purse strings, although I suppose Andrew will be well-provided for in the Queen's will.

Still, Andrew won't want a rift with his brother, will he?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
When Charles takes the throne, I'm wondering how this will affect Andrew and Sarah?
The Queen has never forced the issue, but will Charles allow her to remain at Royal Lodge, or will he insist she move out?

He will basically control the purse strings, although I suppose Andrew will be well-provided for in the Queen's will.

Still, Andrew won't want a rift with his brother, will he?
I don't see Prince Charles as a mean spirited man. I think Charles will leave Prince Andrew's personal family business entirely up to Prince Andrew
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Administrator

I agree to an extent.

At one point, Charles stated that Camilla was non negotiable and everyone let it be. Since Charles is now happily married to Camilla, I can't imagine that he wouldn't want his brother to happy. Before the latest scandal, I could have seen Sarah as Andrew's companion....and Charles fine with that (and her living at Royal Lodge). Now...I am not so sure.

That being said...if Sarah remains low key (and we know how that rolls).....he might be okay with it. But if she continues to bring negative press.....who knows. Royal Lodge is a grace and favor property at the grace of the Monarch.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Royal Lodge is a grace and favor property at the grace of the Monarch.
Oh, I thought it was Andrew's through The Queen Mum. Thanks for the clairification, Zonk!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Not a problem.

The late Queen Mother had a long association with The Royal Lodge. There is reference to it being given to the Yorks (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) by King George V in The Reluctant King. There was also a reference because of a Wallis Simpson association (i.e. discussing potential changes to the garden..... many thought she was trying to show that she and not the Yorks had the power in regards what could be done to the place THEY called home) when Edward VIII became King.

So really, when Charles becomes King he does have the potential to say...she can't live there...but I don't think he will.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Courtier

The thing is, once Beatrice and Eugenie are married what would be the point of Andrew continuing to live in a property that large? IF he should move, where would it be and would it be appropriate for Sarah to follow along? There is "some", though little, justification for her living there at this point with the girls still around but later not so much. Interesting question. I always rather felt that Andrew and Sarah might remarry after QEII was gone but after the latest fiascoes (which seem to continue in one form or another), I'm not so sure.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Administrator

I don't know if the size of the family matters.

Technically, wasn't it just the Queen Mother who lived in Clarence House...and yet she also had the Birkhall and The Royal Lodge.

I can't imagine Charles becoming King and saying something along the lines.....Mum is deceased...Beatrice and Eugenie are grown...can you move out now so I can let William and Catherine and/or Harry and whomever live there.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
The thing is, once Beatrice and Eugenie are married what would be the point of Andrew continuing to live in a property that large? IF he should move, where would it be and would it be appropriate for Sarah to follow along? There is "some", though little, justification for her living there at this point with the girls still around but later not so much. Interesting question. I always rather felt that Andrew and Sarah might remarry after QEII was gone but after the latest fiascoes (which seem to continue in one form or another), I'm not so sure.
It wouldn't be appropriate, it'd be sad in a manner I could not begin to describe if she followed him around but if given the chance do we really think she wouldn't do it? As for Charles' decision, his life with Camilla is his life, considering how much Sarah is disliked I don't think he'd continue to let her live on the family's dime. If Andrew wants to spend his inheritance on her that's one thing but the BRF will close that line of credit sooner than later.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
The thing is, once Beatrice and Eugenie are married what would be the point of Andrew continuing to live in a property that large? IF he should move, where would it be and would it be appropriate for Sarah to follow along?
I don't think that Andrew has any plans for moving. He spent a lot of his own money to build a nine-hole golfcourse on the property.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
I don't think that Andrew has any plans for moving. He spent a lot of his own money to build a nine-hole golfcourse on the property.
If big bro says get out, he's getting out. Might be something for William or Harry in the future.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
It wouldn't be appropriate, it'd be sad in a manner I could not begin to describe if she followed him around but if given the chance do we really think she wouldn't do it? As for Charles' decision, his life with Camilla is his life, considering how much Sarah is disliked I don't think he'd continue to let her live on the family's dime. If Andrew wants to spend his inheritance on her that's one thing but the BRF will close that line of credit sooner than later.
Sarah is no where near as disliked as Camilla has been historically, yet Charles managed to marry her and still cling to being the heir. Not to mention that Camilla was living on the dime for several years between her divorce from APB and the second marriage, and she was neither the ex-wife of a prince nor the mother of 2 princesses. Why would Charles not have sympathy for his brother's situation? It would be incredibly hypocrytical not to.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Nobility

are there any photos of the property where the Yorks are living?

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Sarah is no where near as disliked as Camilla has been historically, yet Charles managed to marry her and still cling to being the heir. Not to mention that Camilla was living on the dime for several years between her divorce from APB and the second marriage, and she was neither the ex-wife of a prince nor the mother of 2 princesses. Why would Charles not have sympathy for his brother's situation? It would be incredibly hypocrytical not to.
Camilla's historical standing means nothing. Charles was the one who created that situation, yes he wasn't allowed to be with her but he was the one who strayed from his marriage. Camilla went about keeping her head down for long enough that people eventually allowed her into the fold.

If Sarah could accept that she isn't anyone special and just towed the damn line I think she would've been fine but she doesn't know how step away from the spotlight and Andrew is an enabler.

We're talking about human motions here. Charles doesn't have to compare and contrast. What he feels about Sarah is what he feels and if he wants to break his brother's b---- over it then he will.

Being family doesn't change anything. It doesn't seem to bother Andrew much how massive a problem Sarah has been for the firm so why should Charles be any different when he becomes King?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

There's an aerial photo with this article. Skint Fergie scraps 50th birthday bash | The Sun |News|Royals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishla View Post
are there any photos of the property where the Yorks are living?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I, believe, Andrew loves her and she him. What they do to overcome the mess, who knows. They may always live on the fringes of one another. Also sad. As for Charles being a hypocrite, he is. He, financially, kept a mistress for many years, with lavish gifts, etc. There is plenty of money for what they want, if they like you.

Tags
duke of york, fergie, living arrangements, prince andrew, royal lodge, sarah duchess of york, windsor