The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
I don't think the full story about the Windsor Castle party will ever really be known. The timing of the party cannot be a coincidence. Celebrating the 21st anniversary of a charity seems odd, the 20th, yes, the 25th, yes, but the 21st? It isn't like 21 is the age of majority in the UK and it could be construed as some sort of pun...

So far as the guest list, that too will very likely be a bit of a mystery. Peter Phillips was in Sarah's wedding party, after all...and there are several photos of Zara and Sarah in the last few years at various charity events...and when Andrew was invested into the Order of the Garter it was Sophie who Sarah stood beside and chatted with...they're all people who have been friendly with Sarah post-divorce.
I wouldn't expect all those royals to be invited. It would be really interesting if Sophie did show up...I don't expect it, although it's interesting that Andrew is sending out the invitations. Letting Sarah have a party at Windsor Castle does show that the Queen is supportive of Sarah.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Majesty

I hope that Sarah wows everyone with the way she looks, in a lady-like way. It's time for her to pull out all the stops!!!

Old 10-13-2014, 05:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I didn't see this coming, Sarah has an exciting week ahead.

The Queen lets Fergie celebrate her birthday at Windsor Castle | Royal | News | Daily Express

This article doesn't tell the full story. This occasion is primarily to mark Children in Crisis 21st birthday/anniversary. Sarah mentioned it (although not the venue) in an interview in Hello at the beginning of the year. Andrew also has it listed on his facebook page. Re the guest list Harry and Cressida, possibly because of their friendship with the girls, but Edward, Sophie, Zara, Peter, I wouldn't think so. Sarah's life has been a roller coaster, but Children In Crisis has stood the test of time. Hope everyone has a lovely evening.
Off topic, just how amazing does the castle look in the sunshine ...
I would be surprised if Sarah's birthday party was actually held at Windsor as has been suggested in the article. Even the Queen's oldest grandson had to have his wedding reception at Frogmore rather than Windsor.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
But reports that the Duke of York is throwing a 55th birthday party for his ex-wife,are 'totally incorrect', it was claimed today.
A spokesman for the Duchess told Mail Online that while a dinner is being held at the royal residence on Wednesday, it is to mark the 21st anniversary of her charity Children In Crisis and no mention of her birthday is being made.
James Henderson, who is also a trustee of the charity, said: 'There is an event being held on Wednesday night at Windsor Castle, but it is to mark the 21st anniversary of the Duchess's charity Children In Crisis.
'More than 200 receptions are held at the castle each year and this is one of them.
Queen to let former daughter-in-law Sarah Ferguson's charity throw £50,000 party at Windsor Castle | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I would be surprised if Sarah's birthday party was actually held at Windsor as has been suggested in the article. Even the Queen's oldest grandson had to have his wedding reception at Frogmore rather than Windsor.
Well, lets not forget that Prince William had his 21st Birthday Party at Windsor Castle.

I think it's great that Her Majesty is lending the castle's State Rooms to help celebrate Children In Crisis.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, lets not forget that Prince William had his 21st Birthday Party at Windsor Castle.

I think it's great that Her Majesty is lending the castle's State Rooms to help celebrate Children In Crisis.
William is also a future King, unlike Sarah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Of course, charity receptions are fair games, and many are held every year. Extravagant birthday parties for former wives are certainly not!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

They used to do big birthday parties all the time at Windsor. I think they did a combined one for Margaret 70's (1930), Anne's 50 (1950), Andrew's 40 (1960) and William's 18 in 2000.

The other article says its a charity dinner not a private birthday party so it's more like what William and Royal Marsden with Ralph Lauren did at Windsor.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The other article says its a charity dinner not a private birthday party so it's more like what William and Royal Marsden with Ralph Lauren did at Windsor.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
That's correct.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

That's certainly a possibility. The other possibility is that's the way it's being spun by the York PR team to the media.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:18 AM
Aristocracy

I agree - I think the distinction is one of perception and media presentation. After all, tomorrow IS Sarah's birthday, so it would be an odd coincidence if the party just happened to be that day - in the eyes of all the guests it will be a joint celebration.
But as we know, the media loves to criticise Sarah - a £50,000 birthday party at WC would come across very badly! But if it's ostensibly for her charity, the perception is different.
Either way, I'm really excited and happy for Sarah that she'll have this celebration at WC - of the charity that means so much to her AND her special day!
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Majesty

I imagine that the York family will have a private celebration for Sarah's birthday. OTOH I'd be very surprised if there isn't some informal mention of it at the charity event, even if it's people wishing her a Happy Birthday when they greet her.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Courtier

I think The Queen has shown remarkable compassion towards Sarah. She's given her more leeway and perks than I would have. I don't remember The Queen showing this type of generosity to Mark Phillips.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Majesty

Mark Phillips, to my knowledge, has never gone to the media to complain about his treatment or float suggestions that he and Anne were "bestest friends" or possibly getting back together. He's a very different character.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I think The Queen has shown remarkable compassion towards Sarah. She's given her more leeway and perks than I would have. I don't remember The Queen showing this type of generosity to Mark Phillips.
Mark Phillips's life is totally different from Sarah's but I think he's okay with the royals. He also have a great relationship with Anne & Tim. Also, Mark and his former wife used to live on Princess Anne's estate, Gatcombe Park.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Mark Phillips, to my knowledge, has never gone to the media to complain about his treatment or float suggestions that he and Anne were "bestest friends" or possibly getting back together. He's a very different character.
Mark did live on the Gatcombe estate with his second wife at Aston Farms. I believe he moved after his second divorce but don't quote me on that.

I don't think Anne and Mark were best friends but I do believe they continued to be partners in business.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

And of course were jointly parents of their children....though there has been the very persistant long standing rumor about Zara being the blonde protection officer's daughter!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

moving just a league or so off topic here
Old 10-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Courtier

I didn't mean to insinuate that The Queen has mistreated Mark Phillips(not the case!), only that going by comparisons Sarah seems to hold a special place in The Queen's heart, for whatever reason.
But Mermaid1962 has a point, maybe Mark Phillips does receive tokens of generosity from The Queen he just doesn't brag about it to the media. He doesn't seem to need validation from the media. While Sarah looks for praise in many places.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

It's always seemed to me that the Queen likes Sarah...that they have a real friendship outside that of their roles.

SV
Old 10-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I didn't mean to insinuate that The Queen has mistreated Mark Phillips(not the case!), only that going by comparisons Sarah seems to hold a special place in The Queen's heart, for whatever reason.
But Mermaid1962 has a point, maybe Mark Phillips does receive tokens of generosity from The Queen he just doesn't brag about it to the media. He doesn't seem to need validation from the media. While Sarah looks for praise in many places.
It could also be that the media just straight up is not interested in Mark Phillips. They maintain some interest in Sarah, but she was a bit of an iconic figure of the eighties and early nineties. Mark never was.

Plus, his children aren't titled royals, he never had a title or did engagements on behalf of the royal family... just comparing apples to oranges, I think.