The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2017, 03:38 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The way I figure it, if either Sarah or her daughters' presence at a charity function helps to bring in *one* dollar or that the charity work they do benefits *one* person, its worthwhile in my book.

Sarah does have a huge heart and I do believe she sincerely puts herself into doing her charity work and backs her causes with altruistic intentions.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The way I figure it, if either Sarah or her daughters' presence at a charity function helps to bring in *one* dollar or that the charity work they do benefits *one* person, its worthwhile in my book.

Sarah does have a huge heart and I do believe she sincerely puts herself into doing her charity work and backs her causes with altruistic intentions.
I think that you, Osipi, are quite familiar with what it is like to have a big heart.

Sarah Ferguson knows what it's like to parade a big heart.

She only promotes charity because it fulfills a hole in her social life and a tax-free entity might or might not pay for her dress, car and tipple. That's all she wants, really, dress, car and tipple.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Heir Apparent

'Fergie the Stealth royal'
It's this DM writer's view that Sarah, and possibly Andrew are repositioning themselves before Charles's reign begins.

Fergie the stealth royal | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post

She only promotes charity because it fulfills a hole in her social life and a tax-free entity might or might not pay for her dress, car and tipple. That's all she wants, really, dress, car and tipple.

I agree.
I don't believe she does anything for anyone unless she receives some benefit.

(I'd love to know what sort of fees she gets for showing up to promote these charities...I'm betting they are quite substantial).
Old 07-16-2017, 01:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Honestly, Sarah has always seemed to me like she would be a fun lady to have a martini with. She's clearly been a good mother, based on the fact that her adult daughters seem to adore her, and that says far more about her than media could.

If she and Andrew want to remarry, I wish them the best. Media will never leave her alone but that doesn't mean she's done anything wrong.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
. . . . . She only promotes charity because it fulfills a hole in her social life and a tax-free entity might or might not pay for her dress, car and tipple. That's all she wants, really, dress, car and tipple.
They are some pretty nasty accusations you are handing out. Do you have a reference for charities paying large sums of money to Sarah? And how do you know she only wants a dress, car and tipple.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think that you, Osipi, are quite familiar with what it is like to have a big heart.

I've read Sarah's book, Finding Sarah. Chapter after chapter describes her quest to find emotional healing after her mother's abandonment, visits to all kinds of spiritual gurus in the hope of finding her life's purpose and the answers to why she makes so many mistakes.

So I would say, Sarah has certainly made a lot of mistakes, but she's motivated just as much by an inner search for meaning than anything else. She doesn't just want 'dress, car and tipple,' though I agree she has problems with over-spending. In her book, she blames a lot of this on people-pleasing, and the incident with the Beckhams could be similar.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

IIRC wasn't she going to sue Murdoch for the cash for access disaster. Does anyone know what happened to that ?
Old 07-16-2017, 04:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Honestly, Sarah has always seemed to me like she would be a fun lady to have a martini with. She's clearly been a good mother, based on the fact that her adult daughters seem to adore her, and that says far more about her than media could.
I too tire of all the Sarah bashing.

Anyone remember the "It's a Royal Knock Out" "fiasco" of a few decades ago.

Apparently organised by Sarah and attended by all her generation of royals bar Charles and Diana (who also apparently wanted to but Charles disapproved so couldn't), it took a bit of criticism at the time.

What exactly was wrong (othe than members of the RF being seen involved in a bit of harmless fun ... not dignified enough prehaps at the time) I don't know.

But it was wrong and Sarah was held to blame for tarnishing the name of Windsor, not all or any of the actual family who very enthusiastically took part.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:17 AM
Courtier

IMO, just me, one of the problems is that Sarah does not learn from her mistakes. I would think that proper therapy would help guide her into making better decisions about her life.....yet she does not do that.

Sometimes a person can get stuck in being in a situation of being needy and not knowing or nor not wanting to get out of that and living your own life to the best. I see Sarah as very needy and she seems to relish that at this point in her life, she clings and does not let go, she is very insecure in herself and seems scared to move on from the royal life that she had. I bet she realizes what she lost and now will do what it takes to get it back. Very sad way to live the life that she has, through her daughters and ex husband. And they are great enablers in letting her continue to live this way.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sarah doesn't learn from her mistakes because someone always helps her get out of it. If you never have to face the music you don't learn how to behave. We teach our very young children about consequences Sarah seems not to have been taught that.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Majesty

The more I've read, the more I've come to realize that it was Sarah's influence that started the both her and Diana into seeking answers in various alternative ways. Sarah has remained on this "inner quest" for quite some time and, IMO, always looking for the answers everywhere but where she should be looking for them at. Within. A mentor or a guru or even a qualified therapist does no good for a person if that person sees it as "they told me this is so" rather than gaining their own insights and knowledge about what makes them tick.

royal rob, you're right on the money I think when you state that Sarah's never really had to face the music of her actions. There was always someone to come in as the clean up crew to "fix" things and therefore, the hard lesson of having to resolve a problem never fell to Sarah herself. Sarah has always looked to the quick fixes. If one certain kind of tea made it possible for her to drop a little weight, then that type of tea becomes the panacea for all and sundry and she's on the tube selling her "brand". That never works. Many other people have been at the game far longer than she has and she once again loses interest. She's familiar with the clout a royal title can have and it becomes another thing she holds onto dearly hence why its so possible that after being divorced from her royal status for over 20 years, many people still refer to her as the Duchess of York. She's constantly "finding Sarah" but thinks its somewhere "out there" that'll be the magic potion to set everything right in her life.

I do admire some of the charitable work that Sarah has done over the years but I also see how, for her, its jumping on a bandwagon that serves to enhance herself in other people's eyes and provides a kind of status to stroke her own self esteem. She does, fortunately, have the love of her ex husband and her daughters to always fall back on but I do think she sometimes, maybe inadvertently, uses them for her own self promotion.

If there was one thing I could wish for Sarah, that would be the ability to feel comfortable in her own skin without feeling she needs the "trappings" of anything else to make her life a fulfilling one.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

^ Yes, God knows how many times Andrew and various mates have bailed Sarah out. With her it's always 'Oh mea culpa, how can I have messed up so badly!' then it's pick herself up, quick mop down after some tears, and on to the next good idea ie disaster waiting to happen.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
They are some pretty nasty accusations you are handing out. Do you have a reference for charities paying large sums of money to Sarah? And how do you know she only wants a dress, car and tipple.

I can't speak for Leopoldine, BUT.
It's common knowledge that a great deal of the money raised for charity is spent in administrative costs.
It isn't unusual to read about directors making six-figure salaries.

With her past history, I can't imagine Fergie wouldn't make certain a share of that bounty comes her way.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:14 PM
Aristocracy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
I too tire of all the Sarah bashing.

Anyone remember the "It's a Royal Knock Out" "fiasco" of a few decades ago.

Apparently organised by Sarah and attended by all her generation of royals bar Charles and Diana (who also apparently wanted to but Charles disapproved so couldn't), it took a bit of criticism at the time.

What exactly was wrong (othe than members of the RF being seen involved in a bit of harmless fun ... not dignified enough prehaps at the time) I don't know.

But it was wrong and Sarah was held to blame for tarnishing the name of Windsor, not all or any of the actual family who very enthusiastically took part.

"It's a Royal Knock-Out" was actually the brain-child of Prince Edward, not Fergie. Edward was just starting out in what he planned as a career in show business. He came up with this concept to raise money for various charities with some light-hearted entertainment featuring members of the BRF.

It turned into a horror show. Although it raised a boat-load of money, it was basically a slapstick parody of monarchical history.

Sarah was said to comport herself in a wholly undignified manner and was more raucous than the b-list celebrities throwing hams at each other. You can see it on Youtube. The other Royals involved, Edward, Andrew and Anne, were more subdued. Charles wouldn't participate and forbade Diana to, and she was very glad about that after the event unfolded.

Edward was the one, though, who really took the heat for the debacle. He also wore tights. At least Andrew had on some sort of trencherman work trousers. Anne actually looked good and rumor had it that the practical royal packed her costume away in acid-free tissue for future engagements.

As far as my "dress, car and tipple" comment, attire for the events, food and drink at said events and transportation are regular boilerplate expenses for even minor celebs at charity 'do's as well as the principal of a charity, in this case Chances for Children.

Like I also said, Sarah is on a merry-go-round of reciprocal charity-gala-attendance. It's what every major-league charity person gets stuck in. No one will show up at YOUR gig if you don't go to their gig, be it fundraising dinner-dance, book signing or boutique opening. It's part of the game. It's also Sarah's choice to decide whether to be on this treadmill or not and stay in the public eye.

Here's a very recent item from The Standard in which Sarah gets on a pretty high horse about all of this:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3586086.html

The Beckingham Palace debacle was quite an unfortunate follow-up to this little interview, as Sarah, in a very haughty manner, told the writer to research her and find out what she actually does.

I think if she led a quieter non-public life and wasn't so dependent on Andrew and her grown daughters for emotional support, they would all be better off. She takes quite a hammering in the press, (which about half the time is deserved IMO) but if she didn't choose to lead such a public life, she wouldn't be taking that hammering, and wouldn't need to be cossetted like a toddler at Royal Lodge or going through all of that panicky hand-holding in public with her ever-patient daughters.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Andrew has always been madly in love with Sarah-I don't think the divorce changed anything. After Phillip passes away, I wouldn't be surprised if they remarry, and that's their business. I can't see the Queen objecting, she's always been fond of Sarah, and Andrew is her favorite son. Whatever makes them happy.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I have thought for awhile they will remarry after the passing of Phillip and the Queen.

LaRae
Old 07-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness

Personally I don't think they will re-marry. I think they are in many ways still like a married couple but by not being married Sarah can carry on with her businesses etc. I suspect over time they will simply become more and more like a married couple without perhaps feeling they need to keep it as low key for the sake of Philip/QE2
Old 07-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Majesty

That's what happens when you have the happiest divorce in the world. It works great for everyone involved.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmmm I don't know about that ...she's stated in interviews she really regrets the divorce, big mistake on her part etc.

LaRae