Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 18: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another attempt to hit Sarah in the head again. This woman has moved on in her life.

No, that's the point, Fergie hasn't moved on! If only she would move on...

But she'll never move on, she'll hang on Andrew like a millstone for as long as he'll allow it (and at this point I suppose that will be for the rest of his life).

I imagine he'll end up clearing her debts again...but, as long as he accepts that, there's no incentive for her to change.

If the woman sells her car, what business is that of ours? and why do we need to go through this Fergie bashing all over again? Many people sell their car. Sarah has moved on, the problem is, her critics haven't moved on and they always get a kick out of kicking her no matter what.

Also, lets not knock Sarah around just because she remains very close to her family. That's her prerogative. The York's are a very close and loving family. Why on earth would anyone be upset over that. Be upset if the family was torn apart and going through tons of hurt and pain. The York's are doing just fine and I think folks just need to leave them alone. Find another bone to chew on.

Last edited:
Moved on !!!! When all her stuff she sells on TV has "royal " thrown in somewhere and interviews about royals etc not my idea of moved on

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Moved on !!!! When all her stuff she sells on TV has "royal " thrown in somewhere and interviews about royals etc not my idea of moved on

Well, she is Sarah, Duchess of York. Her daughter's are Princesses of the UK and Commonwealth and she once was married to The Queen's son. Like it or not, she's forever linked to royal life, no matter her divorce.

Sarah has moved on in her life. She's got a couple of business ventures going on. She's lost weight and looking pretty good. She's got the love and support of her family around her. I mean, things are going pretty well for her.

Then again, she is the media and other royal watcher's favorite punching bag, so no matter what she do, she get the most unfair treatment from people who don't want to see her do well or look well. I know folks just want her to drop off the face of the planet and never be seen or heard from again. Sad, just sad.

Last edited:
Sarah will forever be linked to the royals. If that connection had been severed after the divorce, it would be completely different. She is still called Sarah, Duchess of York. Her children, who she has a strong relationship with are royal, and her presence will be there the rest of her life.

As someone outside The Firm, she has to support herself. Is Princess Michael judged for selling books? Crown Princess Marie-Chantal has a children's clothing line that we have seen many royal children wearing. Is this a sell out too?

So what if she sells a car. Are we really going to judge Sarah for getting a car from a man? What other "gifts" have the royals accepted? Jewelry is ok, but cars not?

Another thought, would you say that the British royals are property wealthy but cash poor? (IMO, the Greek royal family would fall into this w/ the exception of CP Marie-Chantal) Would that be one of the reasons Sarah was considered "being always short on cash"?

I wouldn't say that the BRF are cash-poor, no. Prince Charles, for example, is known for his extravagance. I think that they're relatively thrifty, and most of them don't go for ostentatious purchases. However, with all their personal inheritances and investments, they have quite a bundle. I've heard it said that the Dutch royal family is the most wealthy.

I think that Sarah's "short on cash" because she has expensive tastes and likes to give expensive presents. My opinion FWIW her problem isn't lack of income but poor wealth management. My general impression is of a woman who's kind but impractical.

Another thought, would you say that the British royals are property wealthy but cash poor? (IMO, the Greek royal family would fall into this w/ the exception of CP Marie-Chantal) Would that be one of the reasons Sarah was considered "being always short on cash"?

I wouldn't say that the BRF are cash-poor, no. Prince Charles, for example, is known for his extravagance. I think that they're relatively thrifty, and most of them don't go for ostentatious purchases. However, with all their personal inheritances and investments, they have quite a bundle. I've heard it said that the Dutch royal family is the most wealthy.

I think that Sarah's "short on cash" because she has expensive tastes and likes to give expensive presents. My opinion FWIW her problem isn't lack of income but poor wealth management. My general impression is of a woman who's kind but impractical.

I thought it was mentioned that Andrew now handles her finances?

We don't even know if the story about her car or even being "short on cash" is true. The DM is known to fabricate stories about Sarah. Is she sell her car, that is a normal thing. Everybody practically sell their car or something else, even royals.

If we look both at WA and his mother, the Dutch are definitely by and far richer than most of the European monarchies. Their shares in Royal Shell make them billionaires. Hans Adam an Albert II of Monarco though were both listed as billionaires the last time Forbes did a list on richest royals. As far as I can see Hans Adam is by and far the richest in Europe. The prince of Lichtenstein foundation is between 6-7billion. While Shell is worth far more, the shares the Dutch royals own now are between 2-3 billion. (based on forbes stats from a few years ago).

Elizabeth doesn't even break the billion mark. And a lot of that is contained in property,art and non liquid assets. Of course she also has an annual income from Lancaster/government.

But I agree, it seems a major issue of management. Considering her endorsements, appearances, books and more, Sarah should be able to live quite the comfortable life. Many of her trips and such seem to be gifts from rich friends.

Ever since I read The President's Daughter, Sarah's personality really reminds me of Nan Britton.

Last edited:
Isn't Sarah in the process of becoming a Swiss citizen? I'm sure I read that today. If she is going to live among her beloved mountains half the year and the US (for business ventures) the other half, maybe she doesn't need an expensive car. I'll see if I can find the report.

Here it is.

http://www.france24.com/en/20160210-britains-duchess-york-eyes-swiss-residency

How easy or hard would that be to do ? Is it something that could happen or just small talk.

Isn't Sarah in the process of becoming a Swiss citizen? I'm sure I read that today. If she is going to live among her beloved mountains half the year and the US (for business ventures) the other half, maybe she doesn't need an expensive car. I'll see if I can find the report.

Here it is.

Flash - Britain's Duchess of York eyes Swiss residency - France 24

Swiss residency, not citizenship, there is a difference.

To become a Swiss citizen you'd have had to live there for 12 years, five of which have to be prior to applying. If you lived in Switzerland in your teen years the years count as double.

Sarah as a EU citizen can apply for the Swiss version of a green card. It would be the first of a very long process to being a citizen. If she is going under 'business' she would have to prove she has 50,000 income a year and spends majority of the year there.

Its relative I suppose. Diana reportedly received a lump sum divorce payment of £17.5 million. If the Queen can put her hands on this much money in a single go, I wouldn't call her cash poor

Swiss residency, not citizenship, there is a difference.

To become a Swiss citizen you'd have had to live there for 12 years, five of which have to be prior to applying. If you lived in Switzerland in your teen years the years count as double.

Sarah as a EU citizen can apply for the Swiss version of a green card. It would be the first of a very long process to being a citizen. If she is going under 'business' she would have to prove she has 50,000 income a year and spends majority of the year there.

Thank you. So it sounds like it could be hard for her unless she has some friends that could perhaps help.

Its relative I suppose. Diana reportedly received a lump sum divorce payment of £17.5 million. If the Queen can put her hands on this much money in a single go, I wouldn't call her cash poor

Charles had to liquidate all of his assets to pay off Diana in the divorce settlement, according to The Telegraph.

The property, art, jewelry and assorted collections aren't necessarily available to sell for cash.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...s-to-cleaners-in-divorce-says-his-banker.html

Why do you perceive her as kind?
What kindness has she ever done for anyone?

My general impression is of a woman who is incredibly self-absorbed and only cares about herself.

Thank you. So it sounds like it could be hard for her unless she has some friends that could perhaps help.

Not really. Her and Andrew own a home there so it wouldn't cost a huge amount to live. And it wouldn't take much of her endorsements, and appearing on some shows and such likely to make the minimum amount. She may get royalties still on her books.

Charles had to liquidate all of his assets to pay off Diana in the divorce settlement, according to The Telegraph.

The property, art, jewelry and assorted collections aren't necessarily available to sell for cash.

Diana 'took Charles to cleaners' in divorce, says his banker - Telegraph

Yes but I don't believe it for a minute. From the article -

"Princess Diana took every penny he had," Mr Bignell told the Telegraph last week. "I was told to liquidate everything, all his investments, so that he could give her the cash. He was very unhappy about that. That's when I stopped being his personal financial adviser because he had no personal wealth left. She took him to the cleaners."

If we are to believe this, Charles started over from nothing in 1996. If he was literally broke, William and Harry wouldn't have received the money on Diana's death. I doubt William and Harry would leave their father destitute. I'm always sceptical of former employees disclosing such private details

I think Prince Charles had to come up with the cash for the divorce settlement. Since he didn't have those assets to rely upon, he utilized the Duchy of Cornwall to make an income.

So Charles selling his paintings and organic food is ok, but Sarah selling mixers/hair stylers is wrong? Is the only difference that the press likes to make Sarah look bad?

In Bedell Smith's biography of Diana she sets the divorce settlement out thus (in US dollars). Diana would receive a lump sum of $28 million, underwritten by the Queen, plus more than $600,000 a year to underwrite Diana's office. Charles would partly finance that expenditure with a loan, and his then $2.5 million annual income after taxes and expenses would finance the rest. Diana agreed to those terms, including other perks.

Not really. Her and Andrew own a home there so it wouldn't cost a huge amount to live. And it wouldn't take much of her endorsements, and appearing on some shows and such likely to make the minimum amount. She may get royalties still on her books.

They don't own it free and clear, they took out a hefty mortgage to finance the £13 million chalet purchase. If she's living there then there's no rental money coming in to help defray the mortgage/upkeep so presumably Sarah pays the mortgage and expenses from whatever money she gets from her blender & hair straightener tong sales.

They don't own it free and clear, they took out a hefty mortgage to finance the £13 million chalet purchase. If she's living there then there's no rental money coming in to help defray the mortgage/upkeep so presumably Sarah pays the mortgage and expenses from whatever money she gets from her blender & hair straightener tong sales.

Considering he is half owner and I assume he and the girls will still use it, I highly doubt Andrew is going to make her foot the entire bill for the place.

Besides she makes more money then just those 2 sales. Her book that was turned into a television show still airs in some countries and she likely gets royalties from those. She also appears on talk shows and radio shows, and likely gets paid for some of the events she attends as well.

I suppose it's because of the way she used to connect with people when she made her charitable appearances. During her first couple of years as the Duchess of York, she was very popular due to her friendliness.

For any members who aren't able to remember what it was like when Sarah was new to the "Firm", this is a very revealing article written soon after she joined the Royal Family. http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2013/08/princess-diana-sarah-ferguson-relationship

It's fascinating to see this kind of article in retrospect.

Why do you perceive her as kind?
What kindness has she ever done for anyone?

My general impression is of a woman who is incredibly self-absorbed and only cares about herself.

Last edited:
I suppose it's because of the way she used to connect with people when she made her charitable appearances. During her first couple of years as the Duchess of York, she was very popular due to her friendliness.

For any members who aren't able to remember what it was like when Sarah was new to the "Firm", this is a very revealing article written soon after she joined the Royal Family. http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2013/08/princess-diana-sarah-ferguson-relationship

It's fascinating to see this kind of article in retrospect.

Wow what a great find- absolutely fascinating in hind sight.

For what it's worth, I've also always thought of Sarah as good natured.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: Thanks for your comments. HRHHermione. Those were very glamorous, exciting days for those of us who were following the BRF. Things seemed to be going so well and they all seemed to be happy. Of course, the operative word here is "seemed". I admit, I still get a "warm and fuzzy" feeling when I look back at the pictures of the Waleses and Yorks during the '80s. I have a lot of nostalgia for those times and those young people. Of course, I know there's a total disconnect between what royal-watchers were seeing and what was going on behind closed doors. But still, it's nice to remember and step back into what seemed to be a more innocent age. :flowers:

I agree - I've always viewed Sarah as, generally, a good natured person.

Anyway - all the hullabaloo about Sarah applying for Swiss residency is silly. They bought the chalet more than a year ago, she spends the bulk of her time there, it doesn't mean we'll be seeing any less or any more of Sarah. I'm quite sure it'll be status quo in all but the legal sense. She will never give up her British citizenship.

That's an interesting article. There's kernels of truth in everything.

We know that Prince Harry has stayed at Chalet Helora with Sarah and the York family. And we have seen photographs of Prince Harry sitting right beside Sarah, laughing away. I'm quite sure they'd get along like a house on fire.

And it's probably true that now that Sarah is living in Switzerland more often than not, living a relatively quiet life, things can thaw a bit. After all, there are members in the Royal Family aside from those named who always got along very well with Sarah (I'm looking at you, Prince Edward, and you Countess of Wessex and you Duchess of Kent!)...I wish Sarah so very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom