The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Majesty

I certainly wish Sarah all the best in this latest venture. She seems to be a creative person.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
Sarah has written another children's book entitled Fergie's Farm, is looking for a publisher and has set up a company to manage e-books, apps and games related to the book.

Source: So, Fergie, how DO you top Budgie the Helicopter: Duchess of York revives writing career with new book 'Fergie's Farm' | Daily Mail Online
I hate to sound pessimistic but isn't setting up for e-books, apps and games a bit like putting the cart before the horse? Children's authors are pretty much a dime a dozen and I think it would take something extraordinarily special and different to really cause a book to generate the interest that games and apps and such would stem from. Not everyone is a J.K. Rowling.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
Sarah has written another children's book entitled Fergie's Farm, is looking for a publisher and has set up a company to manage e-books, apps and games related to the book.

Source: So, Fergie, how DO you top Budgie the Helicopter: Duchess of York revives writing career with new book 'Fergie's Farm' | Daily Mail Online

I thought she disliked the nickname Fergie, didn't she say it was a press invention much like Princess Di. In "Fergie's Farm" if she names the pig Duchess of Pork, then I know we are being trolled.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I thought she disliked the nickname Fergie, didn't she say it was a press invention much like Princess Di. In "Fergie's Farm" if she names the pig Duchess of Pork, then I know we are being trolled.
All I know is that when I heard the name "Fergie's Farm" and that she was planning on apps and ebooks and games, the first thing that popped into my mind is the game Farmville popular on social media.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Majesty

I must admit, I thought the same thing.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
All I know is that when I heard the name "Fergie's Farm" and that she was planning on apps and ebooks and games, the first thing that popped into my mind is the game Farmville popular on social media.

Well, her previous publishing efforts were all very derivative, weren't they?
I know she was accused of plagiarism for those Budgie books, but I guess she didn't get sued since she was still a member of the RF then.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Majesty

I'm going to defend Sarah on this one. She took pilot lessons because she wanted to be able to talk knowledgeably to Andrew about his work. Quite possibly she wasn't aware of the other books and simply wanted to write children's stories about a helicopter. I seem to remember seeing a video clip from the 80s, in which she called Andrew but a pet name, "Budgie." Perhaps it was that documentary made before their wedding? That made me think that perhaps Budgie the Helicopter was a tribute to Andrew.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

You are probably right, but saying you weren't aware of previous similar books isn't much of a defense against plagiarism...

Besides, that wasn't the only time; I know a writer named Hanson accused her of copying some project of his that featured talking vegetables, and her version had to be abandoned.

I'm surprised any publishers are still willing to take a chance on her books.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I'm surprised any publishers are still willing to take a chance on her books.
I really am too. In today's market I think Sarah would have to have come up with something totally unique to make any kinds of inroads in the children's market of today.

Perhaps it is her own company set up to do all this from publishing to marketing etc? I wish her well and good luck to her. I think she's gonna need it.
― John Lennon
Old 11-20-2014, 04:39 AM
Serene Highness

I think she is very very lost and still floundering around trying to find her way in life.....I see that since her divorce she is totally lost and miserable, just not able to get herself together....I see that and know that......
Old 11-23-2014, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Sarah attended the launch of Saqqara Jewels at Browns in London on November 6:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 11-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Majesty

Yes, I agree, SElizabeth. It's really rather sad, because Sarah does have warmth and kindness. I was just thinking that the people that she's aiming the new "Fergie's Farm" merchandise at--parents with young children--most likely don't even know who she is! Those who were her contemporaries when she married Prince Andrew are now grandparents; and unless they are royal-watchers, they have't kept up with her over the years. I don't think she understands how competitive business is. She doesn't seem to learn from previous business mistakes, and she doesn't seem to realize that being the long-ex-wife of the second son of a monarch doesn't give her priority in marketing. There's the Sarah, Duchess of York person and the Sarah, Duchess of York brand; and the two are contradictory. The business person seems to be undercut by the vulnerable woman inside. I think that she can put on a great show of confidence but that's she's "faking it 'til she makes it." As much as she claims to want to be independent, I think that she still wants to be near Andrew and under his protection. In my opinion, that's the best place for her. If Andrew wants to remarry, that's one thing. But if he doesn't, and doesn't expect that he ever will, I think it's best that she keep a fairly low profile and continue their relationship as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
I think she is very very lost and still floundering around trying to find her way in life.....I see that since her divorce she is totally lost and miserable, just not able to get herself together....I see that and know that......
Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

I completely agree with you, in looking at her pictures when she was at the jewelry show at Brown's in London, the smile does not reach the eyes, she looks a bit unhappy there and that is sad. I also don't think Andrew will ever remarry and that the 2 of them really belong together. If only she had someone to guide her during those early years of marriage and also for her not to act like being royal is a given in life, as she now knows. I would think at some point she would just stay where she is at with Andrew in that big house and be quiet and stay put and not be seem out so much. At this point in her life she should be very grateful for all that she still has, Andrew and the girls and even the Queen still holds affection for her, that should be it. If me, I would lie very low and thank the higher powers for all that I have.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Courtier

As would I, SElizabeth.
But Sarah is like the proverbial moth drawn to the flame, she can't seem to stop herself, perhaps because she lacks insight into her failures? Of course it's hard to learn from experience if you are always bailed out and not allowed to experience the consequences of your actions. If previous patterns repeat we'll read numerous reports of her new ventures alleged successes only to learn the truth later when her house of cards comes tumbling down again.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
I completely agree with you, in looking at her pictures when she was at the jewelry show at Brown's in London, the smile does not reach the eyes, she looks a bit unhappy there and that is sad. I also don't think Andrew will ever remarry and that the 2 of them really belong together. If only she had someone to guide her during those early years of marriage and also for her not to act like being royal is a given in life, as she now knows. I would think at some point she would just stay where she is at with Andrew in that big house and be quiet and stay put and not be seem out so much. At this point in her life she should be very grateful for all that she still has, Andrew and the girls and even the Queen still holds affection for her, that should be it. If me, I would lie very low and thank the higher powers for all that I have.
I could not agree more. You are so right about Sarah and the unfortunate situation of the early years of her marriage.

Unfortunately there was also a strong streak of narcissism and immaturity in her personality and character. I don't know if it's still there but it has been plain as day up until very recently. But when I read her memoirs and read about the unbelievable emotional and verbal abuse she was subjected to by her mother Susan Barrantes it all started to fall into place. Her mother's cruelty and abandonment left a hole inside Sarah that I think she has been trying desperately to fill ever since. And the fact that she continued to be loving and generous to that woman-to whom she frankly owed nothing-reveals how big Sarah's heart is.

I don't know if it's too late for her and Andrew but I hope it isn't. And it's never to late to heal your life.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
As would I, SElizabeth.
But Sarah is like the proverbial moth drawn to the flame, she can't seem to stop herself, perhaps because she lacks insight into her failures? Of course it's hard to learn from experience if you are always bailed out and not allowed to experience the consequences of your actions. If previous patterns repeat we'll read numerous reports of her new ventures alleged successes only to learn the truth later when her house of cards comes tumbling down again.
That comment sure hit home, I know someone in my family who has been bailed out since the beginning of her life, and now all the cards have fallen down and there is nobody there for her, she caused hell on earth for her family and tried to destroy anybody that got in her way,,,,,,,now she is suffering the consequences of her behavior and time will tell....just sit back and pray when the bottom hit you in the face and your still alive, then be thankful that you are alive. I so understand where her daughters and ex are coming from, yet bailing her out is not going to help her grow and learn to be a more mature adult.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I could not agree more. You are so right about Sarah and the unfortunate situation of the early years of her marriage.

Unfortunately there was also a strong streak of narcissism and immaturity in her personality and character. I don't know if it's still there but it has been plain as day up until very recently. But when I read her memoirs and read about the unbelievable emotional and verbal abuse she was subjected to by her mother Susan Barrantes it all started to fall into place. Her mother's cruelty and abandonment left a hole inside Sarah that I think she has been trying desperately to fill ever since. And the fact that she continued to be loving and generous to that woman-to whom she frankly owed nothing-reveals how big Sarah's heart is.

I don't know if it's too late for her and Andrew but I hope it isn't. And it's never to late to heal your life.
I agree that Sarah made some mistakes in the past, big mistakes, but I'm rooting for her to turn her life around. I think Andrew does still care about her a lot and that they have a good chance of working things out, but the hardest part probably isn't Sarah's relationship with Andrew: it's her place in the royal family. It seems that the Duke of Edinburgh will never accept her again and the royal PR people are probably not excited about the idea, either, for good reason.

But unless Sarah is a member of the royal family again, she will remain in limbo. Yes, she isn't a businesswoman, and in some ways I don't think she even wants to be a businesswoman, but she feels she has to support herself, because she doesn't want Andrew to have to support her indefinitely.

So she tries these business ventures to bring in money, but I think if she didn't have to worry about money or perhaps if she could be content with less, Sarah would probably rather be supporting her charitable causes and coming up with ideas for books/movies. (I read that she is working on a new movie about Prince Albert as a sequel to the Young Victoria, which did very well, and she has access to palace archives.)

At the end of the day, I think Sarah probably knows, more or less, that she made a mistake leaving the royal family and that she'd be a lot better off as part of it again, so I don't think we should judge her business schemes too harshly. Somehow I don't get the sense that her heart is in the idea of a business empire. I also think it's unfair to ask Sarah to stay so quiet that she never shows up at any event where she might be photographed (birthday party, for example). She is an outgoing person, so it would seem very at odds with her personality to retire away to the countryside and never be seen or heard from again. I think the biggest thing she can do to keep quiet is to avoid giving revealing interviews, which she has successfully done for the last 3 years or so. I think Sarah would be content supporting Andrew and her daughters in their work while working on charity and creative projects on the side, and I hope she gets to live that life. Even if she hasn't fully learned lessons from the past, I think she's trying to, and has been doing a pretty good job for the last few years.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Administrator

On November 18 Sarah attended the birthday party of Sir David Tang in London:

** Pic ** dailymail: Fergie goes hell for leather.. **
Old 11-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Majesty

I think that many of us here wish her well, which is why we tend to get upset when she sabotages herself. She's done very well in not giving interviews, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I agree that Sarah made some mistakes in the past, big mistakes, but I'm rooting for her to turn her life around... I think the biggest thing she can do to keep quiet is to avoid giving revealing interviews, which she has successfully done for the last 3 years or so.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Serene Highness

OMG, that is the ugliest dress I have ever seen, it makes her look really awful. First F should never go sleeveless not with those arm pits showing and lose flab on her upper arms, then the dress, who designed that dress was either drunk or on something, color blocking here is a huge mistake, and the bottom with 2 different fabrics, one side hugging the hips, the other side flowing and draping the other hip...yikes what was she thinking. And the top, nude fabric, put her in a nice slim leather dress with cap sleeves, round or maybe a sweetheart neckline and just an inch above the keens, no fuss anywhere else and it would make her look slim and perfect. Less is more and this dress is more way over the top more and horrible on and anybody...ranting down on this dress. What a waste of money....