Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 18: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah attended the launch of Saqqara Jewels at Browns in London on November 6:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Yes, I agree, SElizabeth. It's really rather sad, because Sarah does have warmth and kindness. I was just thinking that the people that she's aiming the new "Fergie's Farm" merchandise at--parents with young children--most likely don't even know who she is! Those who were her contemporaries when she married Prince Andrew are now grandparents; and unless they are royal-watchers, they have't kept up with her over the years. I don't think she understands how competitive business is. She doesn't seem to learn from previous business mistakes, and she doesn't seem to realize that being the long-ex-wife of the second son of a monarch doesn't give her priority in marketing. There's the Sarah, Duchess of York person and the Sarah, Duchess of York brand; and the two are contradictory. The business person seems to be undercut by the vulnerable woman inside. I think that she can put on a great show of confidence but that's she's "faking it 'til she makes it." As much as she claims to want to be independent, I think that she still wants to be near Andrew and under his protection. In my opinion, that's the best place for her. If Andrew wants to remarry, that's one thing. But if he doesn't, and doesn't expect that he ever will, I think it's best that she keep a fairly low profile and continue their relationship as it is.

I think she is very very lost and still floundering around trying to find her way in life.....I see that since her divorce she is totally lost and miserable, just not able to get herself together....I see that and know that......

:previous:I completely agree with you, in looking at her pictures when she was at the jewelry show at Brown's in London, the smile does not reach the eyes, she looks a bit unhappy there and that is sad. I also don't think Andrew will ever remarry and that the 2 of them really belong together. If only she had someone to guide her during those early years of marriage and also for her not to act like being royal is a given in life, as she now knows. I would think at some point she would just stay where she is at with Andrew in that big house and be quiet and stay put and not be seem out so much. At this point in her life she should be very grateful for all that she still has, Andrew and the girls and even the Queen still holds affection for her, that should be it. If me, I would lie very low and thank the higher powers for all that I have.

As would I, SElizabeth.
But Sarah is like the proverbial moth drawn to the flame, she can't seem to stop herself, perhaps because she lacks insight into her failures? Of course it's hard to learn from experience if you are always bailed out and not allowed to experience the consequences of your actions. If previous patterns repeat we'll read numerous reports of her new ventures alleged successes only to learn the truth later when her house of cards comes tumbling down again.

:previous:I completely agree with you, in looking at her pictures when she was at the jewelry show at Brown's in London, the smile does not reach the eyes, she looks a bit unhappy there and that is sad. I also don't think Andrew will ever remarry and that the 2 of them really belong together. If only she had someone to guide her during those early years of marriage and also for her not to act like being royal is a given in life, as she now knows. I would think at some point she would just stay where she is at with Andrew in that big house and be quiet and stay put and not be seem out so much. At this point in her life she should be very grateful for all that she still has, Andrew and the girls and even the Queen still holds affection for her, that should be it. If me, I would lie very low and thank the higher powers for all that I have.
I could not agree more. You are so right about Sarah and the unfortunate situation of the early years of her marriage.

Unfortunately there was also a strong streak of narcissism and immaturity in her personality and character. I don't know if it's still there but it has been plain as day up until very recently. But when I read her memoirs and read about the unbelievable emotional and verbal abuse she was subjected to by her mother Susan Barrantes it all started to fall into place. Her mother's cruelty and abandonment left a hole inside Sarah that I think she has been trying desperately to fill ever since. And the fact that she continued to be loving and generous to that woman-to whom she frankly owed nothing-reveals how big Sarah's heart is.

I don't know if it's too late for her and Andrew but I hope it isn't. And it's never to late to heal your life.

As would I, SElizabeth.
But Sarah is like the proverbial moth drawn to the flame, she can't seem to stop herself, perhaps because she lacks insight into her failures? Of course it's hard to learn from experience if you are always bailed out and not allowed to experience the consequences of your actions. If previous patterns repeat we'll read numerous reports of her new ventures alleged successes only to learn the truth later when her house of cards comes tumbling down again.
That comment sure hit home, I know someone in my family who has been bailed out since the beginning of her life, and now all the cards have fallen down and there is nobody there for her, she caused hell on earth for her family and tried to destroy anybody that got in her way,,,,,,,now she is suffering the consequences of her behavior and time will tell....just sit back and pray when the bottom hit you in the face and your still alive, then be thankful that you are alive. I so understand where her daughters and ex are coming from, yet bailing her out is not going to help her grow and learn to be a more mature adult.

I could not agree more. You are so right about Sarah and the unfortunate situation of the early years of her marriage.

Unfortunately there was also a strong streak of narcissism and immaturity in her personality and character. I don't know if it's still there but it has been plain as day up until very recently. But when I read her memoirs and read about the unbelievable emotional and verbal abuse she was subjected to by her mother Susan Barrantes it all started to fall into place. Her mother's cruelty and abandonment left a hole inside Sarah that I think she has been trying desperately to fill ever since. And the fact that she continued to be loving and generous to that woman-to whom she frankly owed nothing-reveals how big Sarah's heart is.

I don't know if it's too late for her and Andrew but I hope it isn't. And it's never to late to heal your life.

I agree that Sarah made some mistakes in the past, big mistakes, but I'm rooting for her to turn her life around. I think Andrew does still care about her a lot and that they have a good chance of working things out, but the hardest part probably isn't Sarah's relationship with Andrew: it's her place in the royal family. It seems that the Duke of Edinburgh will never accept her again and the royal PR people are probably not excited about the idea, either, for good reason.

But unless Sarah is a member of the royal family again, she will remain in limbo. Yes, she isn't a businesswoman, and in some ways I don't think she even wants to be a businesswoman, but she feels she has to support herself, because she doesn't want Andrew to have to support her indefinitely.

So she tries these business ventures to bring in money, but I think if she didn't have to worry about money or perhaps if she could be content with less, Sarah would probably rather be supporting her charitable causes and coming up with ideas for books/movies. (I read that she is working on a new movie about Prince Albert as a sequel to the Young Victoria, which did very well, and she has access to palace archives.)

At the end of the day, I think Sarah probably knows, more or less, that she made a mistake leaving the royal family and that she'd be a lot better off as part of it again, so I don't think we should judge her business schemes too harshly. Somehow I don't get the sense that her heart is in the idea of a business empire. I also think it's unfair to ask Sarah to stay so quiet that she never shows up at any event where she might be photographed (birthday party, for example). She is an outgoing person, so it would seem very at odds with her personality to retire away to the countryside and never be seen or heard from again. I think the biggest thing she can do to keep quiet is to avoid giving revealing interviews, which she has successfully done for the last 3 years or so. I think Sarah would be content supporting Andrew and her daughters in their work while working on charity and creative projects on the side, and I hope she gets to live that life. Even if she hasn't fully learned lessons from the past, I think she's trying to, and has been doing a pretty good job for the last few years.

I think that many of us here wish her well, which is why we tend to get upset when she sabotages herself. She's done very well in not giving interviews, I agree. :flowers:

I agree that Sarah made some mistakes in the past, big mistakes, but I'm rooting for her to turn her life around... I think the biggest thing she can do to keep quiet is to avoid giving revealing interviews, which she has successfully done for the last 3 years or so.

OMG, that is the ugliest dress I have ever seen, it makes her look really awful. First F should never go sleeveless not with those arm pits showing and lose flab on her upper arms, then the dress, who designed that dress was either drunk or on something, color blocking here is a huge mistake, and the bottom with 2 different fabrics, one side hugging the hips, the other side flowing and draping the other hip...yikes what was she thinking. And the top, nude fabric, put her in a nice slim leather dress with cap sleeves, round or maybe a sweetheart neckline and just an inch above the keens, no fuss anywhere else and it would make her look slim and perfect. Less is more and this dress is more way over the top more and horrible on and anybody...ranting down on this dress. What a waste of money....

Yes, I agree. This is one of those dresses that might look good on a model in her 20s but doesn't look so good on a middle-aged figure--no matter how recently-slimmer that figure is. Sarah can get it right. It's not impossible for her. However, she doesn't seem to be able to see herself and her clothes objectively.

And the top, nude fabric, put her in a nice slim leather dress with cap sleeves, round or maybe a sweetheart neckline and just an inch above the keens, no fuss anywhere else and it would make her look slim and perfect.

Yes, I agree. This is one of those dresses that might look good on a model in her 20s but doesn't look so good on a middle-aged figure--no matter how recently-slimmer that figure is. Sarah can get it right. It's not impossible for her. However, she doesn't seem to be able to see herself and her clothes objectively.

I thought Sarah looked nice in the photo of the jewellery launch on the previous page, and in some other recent photos, now that she's lost weight. She looked very nice at the Scarborough Hospital Gala in Toronto in May. Sometimes she picks really 'creative' (er, strange) dresses, though, and this is one of them. I can't imagine who would look good in this dress or why a designer thought it was a good idea! I'm in my twenties, not heavy, and it wouldn't look good on me.

I'm also curious about whether people tell Sarah she looks good in these dresses.

I thought Sarah looked nice in the photo of the jewellery launch on the previous page, and in some other recent photos, now that she's lost weight. She looked very nice at the Scarborough Hospital Gala in Toronto in May. Sometimes she picks really 'creative' (er, strange) dresses, though, and this is one of them. I can't imagine who would look good in this dress or why a designer thought it was a good idea! I'm in my twenties, not heavy, and it wouldn't look good on me.

I'm also curious about whether people tell Sarah she looks good in these dresses.

Even if they do, she's old enough to be able to see what she really looks like. I didn't like that leather and fabric dress at all. Someone with a body and presence like Angelina Jolie might be able to get away with it.

Even though Sarah's lost some weight, she's still the age she is and her body is not toned. She's got flabby bits and should be covering up those upper arms of hers. She rarely looks smart, and I don't think she's ever looked elegant. This skirt was a good length but the rest of the outfit didn't suit her at all. And look at her hair! She can never get everything looking right. It's just the way it is with her, and, though Beatrice has been looking quite nice lately, I think Sarah's lack of dress sense is hereditary.

Sarah looks best in simple things that are well-cut but not tight. She can wear strong colour as well. She looks very good in suits, and perhaps this is something that can adapted for evening wear.

Sarah looks best in simple things that are well-cut but not tight. She can wear strong colour as well. She looks very good in suits, and perhaps this is something that can adapted for evening wear.

She does look good in suits, but she usually wears them in one size too small and the skirts are usually too short. She needs to realise that you actually look slimmer if your clothes fit you and aren't pulling across your boobs or hips/thighs.

ETA And wouldn't it be good if I were to take my own advice on this point! :D

:ohmy: I reckon she's finally gone too far. I think it's very wrong of her to run a business under a name that so boldly implies she is a Duchess. Unless she's secretly remarried Andrew - and I admit to not being entirely sure that's not a possibility - she shouldn't use the word. Wonder what HM thinks? Philip must be apoplectic!

ETA Seems she has remarried Andrew but it's a morganatic marriage and she hasn't been given the HRH style. The Application cites her name as Sarah, The Duchess of York. :whistling:

This could cause some problems for her.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
:ohmy: I reckon she's finally gone too far. I think it's very wrong of her to run a business under a name that so boldly implies she is a Duchess. Unless she's secretly remarried Andrew - and I admit to not being entirely sure that's not a possibility - she shouldn't use the word. Wonder what HM thinks? Philip must be apoplectic!

I'm sure the family knows what's Sarah up to.

I always wish Sarah well in all her ventures but those commercials drive me nuts.

Last edited:
I agree with you Roslyn.

Wonder if there could be any backlash in the use of an incorrect title. Looking at the trademark registration, it says Sarah, The Duchess of York. I thought she lost the "The" part when the divorce became final.

She's gone too far this time I fear.

I agree with you Roslyn.

Wonder if there could be any backlash in the use of an incorrect title. Looking at the trademark registration, it says Sarah, The Duchess of York. I thought she lost the "The" part when the divorce became final.

She's gone too far this time I fear.

I think she can use "Sarah, The Duchess of York" legally. She can't use "HRH The Duchess of York" because she lost that title in her divorce.

Last edited:
Using "Sarah, The Duchess of York" isn't proper, but it's also not the end of the world. The correct and only way she can be styled is "Sarah, Duchess of York"...but according to Debretts, in conversation, you'd say "The Duchess of York" even though she's divorced:

Former Wife of Duke, Duke and Duchess, Titles, Forms Of Address | Debrett's

What I find interesting about the way she's marketing this venture is that she's referred to as "Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess"...but the "of York" is absolutely nowhere to be seen. I think it was an attempt to keep her style out of the equation, keep the "York" out of the business.

And I'm sure the family knows too, this has been in the works for at least a year. I say good luck to her, the tea is what interests me!

I like Sarah, but this sticks in my craw. She's blatantly capitalising on her former marriage. If she described herself on the trademark application as Sarah, The Duchess of York, or allowed herself to be so described, she did something very wrong, in my opinion.

I think she can use "Sarah, The Duchess of York" legally. She can't use "HRH The Duchess of York" because she lost that title in her divorce.

I always thought it was The Duchess of York while she was married to Andrew and then Sarah, Duchess of York as the courtesy title for divorced wife of a Duke. She wouldn't have the "The" part as if/when Andrew remarried, his wife would then be The Duchess of York.

Whether or not Sarah is HRH The Duchess of York or Sarah, Duchess of York or Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess matters not one iota for Americans.

I would also agree with the comment that the BRF (at least the Queen and Prince Philip) knew about this before it happened and not worrying about it.

At this point Sarah is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. She has to earn a living, she has no intention of getting a regular gig (9 to 5) as its not going to pay enough to keep her in the standard of living that she likes and in the past she has made her money off her brief assocation with the Family. So its nothing new to them. And I would think they are happier she is pursuing her business endeavors in the US than in Britain or Australia.

A majority of Americans might recognize her face and know that she is famous for something but will not put that much thought in her title or the correct way she should be addressed.

Last edited:
I will never understand the mindset about the BRF. Edward, Sophie and Sarah have all been accused of using their royal connections to aid their careers. In the case of the Wessex's they finally just gave up the effort to have a job or career because the bitter slating was just too much to cope with.

Now Sarah, who posters have continually accused of exploiting her connection to the BRF and of sponging off both Andrew and her daughters, and saying she should get a job . . . did. And what do you know, accusations of using her royal connections. Talk about a lose, lose situation.

"Duchess Tea" by Sarah Ferguson sounds okay to me. Sounds a bit like Earl Grey and Lady Grey tea to me. No harm, no foul.

I just found it to be unusual that she would list her title as Sarah, The Duchess of York on an official application for a patent.

I do wish her well in her endeavors but I do feel that, like with the Farm children's venture, the tea will not make a big dent in the American market. Actually, looking at the ingredients she has listed on the patent application, made me think I could head over to adagio.com and create the same blends as most of her choices are also available there and most likely for much cheaper. I do love my teas but would not probably buy into the Duchess brand.

She definitely gets some brownie points with me for attempting this. What is the worse that can happen?

Maybe I'm biased since I like Sarah (I just like her, no reason why) but I wish her all the best! Even for her career...

There is [for the millionth time] NO such thing as Morganatic marriage in British law.

IF she has remarried the Duke, she is the HRH Duchess of York,

if not she can only use 'Sarah, Duchess of York'.

Either way, when I hear she's launching a new [commercial] venture, my blood runs cold...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom