Sarah, Duchess of York: "Cash for Access" - May 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true, what is Sarah up to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I don´t think Sarah will ever learn. She just doesn´t seem to know when to stop, if this is true she just might be burning her boats.
She is very childlike though, she is in a scrape and then tries everything to get out of it and it usually turns out to be the wrong move.
Oprah has a lot of influence in the US but I doubt if that influence will go very far in BP.

If this is true, what is Sarah up to?

Trying to repeat what worked 10 years ago...

Oprah has a huge audience, and Americans can't get enough of people pouring out their woes and sharing their personal lives on television. I wouldn't be surprised if this scandal actually makes Sarah more popular in the U.S. for a little while.

I'm not impressed. Going on Oprah and reality TV shows may be an easy way to make money, but it's not a career. Sarah isn't even known for any kind of talent: she's a celebrity in the U.S. because she married a royal, and that's it. I don't have a problem with Sarah using her status to open certain doors--she was a good spokeswoman for Weight Watchers, people seem to like her as a public speaker and she's been able to raise support for charities--but the days of showing up on American television, for no other reason than that many years ago she was briefly married to a prince, have to end. Even if she gets a brief swell of support in America in the next little while, it's not going to last. Sarah is turning 51 this year, she has to find some kind of sustainable way of earning money (and realize she needs to curb her extravagant lifestyle, permanently) or she will just find herself in the same hole over and over again. I'm sure she wants to be independent, but if the Queen offers some kind of financial support in return for Sarah staying mostly out of the media, Sarah should accept it.

The Duchess of York tells her side of scandal story to the queen of TV, Oprah Winfrey | StarTribune.com

They all seem to do this. Whenever a celeb is trouble they go to Oprah, or some talk show, to sort things out. I think this may help Sarah and be a benefit to her. She was caught red-handed so she will probably do two things. 1)Make the people feel pity for her or 2) Own up to what shes done and realize there's no excuses for her behavior. But what else can she say.

I think the Queen has already been quite supportive and has given her money but then Sarah continues to spend and enter into every hair brained scheme that she can think of.
She even decided to win a gold medal at the Olympics but only wanted to practice once a week when she had ridden for years. I am repeating what Starkie said, and he went with her to Ireland to buy a horse for this purpose. He may not be exactly a person you would trust your life with but he was actually there with her for years and in on most of the schemes she dreamt up and the holidays and flights and fun as well.
The old saying "Money burns a hole in my pocket" certainly applies to Sarah and to tell you the truth she sounds completely selfish, I want, I do, I have to have and as I am important everyone has to help me do what I want to.
I don´t think she is not coming out very well in this sorry affair. She may be quite popular in the US for a bit but then what happens?
It makes no difference to her if she has a few pounds in her pocket or a million, she just can´t seem to manage it, then of course there are the debts that she has run up to be paid as well. A very sorry situation for all and I feel sorry for the Queen and for the two girls, I just hope the girls will be more sensible than their mother.

Trying to repeat what worked 10 years ago...
Well said...but INMO, if the Queen does financially help her, she must sign a confidentiality agreement; meaning no more books or interviews about her time as a royal or about any member of the royal family living or deceased. Also, if the Queen's financial help continued after her debts have been paid, Sarah should be made to submit any and all receipts of every pound spent. I know that it would come from the Queen's personal fortune, but enough is enough.

I can't believe she's out and about. I bet she's dying inside with humiliation.

I bet she's dying inside with humiliation.
Sadly, if she's prepared to bluff her way out of this mess by talking about it on a chat show, I don't think she has this emotion in her dna. I assume she would be paid a handsome sum for such an interview. It would be a shabby way to behave.

I think that programs like Oprah are a secular version of the confessional booth. Celebrities and non-celebrities go on them to confess and hope to get some kind of forgiveness in exchange. But somehow I have the feeling that this "confession" won't be "forgive me for I have sinned" but more along the lines of "someone/circumstances made me do it." If Sarah doesn't go on making excuses for her behaviour but admits that she did something unethical and inexcusable, perhaps she can make a fresh start. Or perhaps she'll "confess" that she has some sort of problem that we don't know about: an addiction, an emotional/mental issue, or something of the sort. We'll just have to wait and see.

The article says that this interview is to air on Tuesday here in the States which to me means that the interview has already been filmed. I would have thought that with all this going on, Sarah would have at LEAST had the courtesy to remain quiet about this such as PA has.
This makes me think she's going full steam ahead to perhaps even make a buck and a name for herself out of a totally humiliating experience. What's next? Two weeks from now will she be on Jerry Springer in a segment called "I Pimped Out My Family For Cash" segment?

She probably should come to America, all the recent commentary here has been very sympathetic to her. Oprah will no doubt be the same way...

The more that comes out, the less I believe that her ex was completely in the dark about all this.

...all the recent commentary here has been very sympathetic to her.

Sympathetic? I didn't get that feeling from the commentaries. I think they're more shocked than anything that a Duchess would need to go to such measures. When are these people ever sympathetic, besides in the event of a death, they thrive on this stuff.

School fees for an old friend in the States

I have a question....when Sarah took the $40,000 she said that "the money would go towards paying school fees for an old friend in the States".

Do you think she was just saying this to make the "businessman" think the money was not for her? If not, does anyone know anything about this person?

Sympathetic? I didn't get that feeling from the commentaries. I think they're more shocked than anything that a Duchess would need to go to such measures. When are these people ever sympathetic, besides in the event of a death, they thrive on this stuff.

I agree with you here... Americans seem to thrive on the trials and misfortunes of others hence the popularity of tell all talk shows and reality shows and such. That kind of fame is very fleeting and easily forgotten after the next big scandal hits the airwaves. Sandra Bullock's marital woes have been exhausted... move on to the BRF.

My opinion in all this is more disgust than shock though at Sarah's behavior recently. Assuming here that Andrew had no clue of what was going on, Sarah's "indiscretion" has now brought Andrew's position in the BRF into the limelight on Oprah. It can and does affect on the entire family. Andrew has very much kept quiet about things over the past week which I believe is what Sarah if she had an ounce of sense in that redhead should have also done. Going public on television no matter what she says in the interview just draws more and more attention to not only herself but also to the whole sordid mess. If anything, this will further alieniate her from all she has held dear to her up till now. Diana had Panorama.. Sarah gets Oprah.

I read over the story about this interview on the Oprah page and one redeeming thing is that constantly through the story of the upcoming interview it is worded such as Ferguson was in.. Ferguson had promised.. Ferguson divorced. Does separate her moreso than using Mountbatten-Windsor eh?

AFP: Fergie to appear on Oprah show after scandal

I have a question....when Sarah took the $40,000 she said that "the money would go towards paying school fees for an old friend in the States".

Do you think she was just saying this to make the "businessman" think the money was not for her? If not, does anyone know anything about this person?
Good question. Don't know and where is the money now??

The spokesman for the show still called her The Duchess of York.:ermm: If I were a betting woman, I'd bet that there'll be a big teaser clip of this interview saying that she's going to reveal something shocking.

I read over the story about this interview on the Oprah page and one redeeming thing is that constantly through the story of the upcoming interview it is worded such as Ferguson was in.. Ferguson had promised.. Ferguson divorced. Does separate her moreso than using Mountbatten-Windsor eh?

AFP: Fergie to appear on Oprah show after scandal

Last edited:
Where went the times when one issued a heartfelt apology via, I don't know, a letter???. I think Sarah is taking the saying that there is no bad publicity quite literally and enjoying her five mins. in the spot light. I don't think she's sorry or genuinely ashamed for what happened.

Thank god she is not a member of the BRF anymore

From the Press Association (released just a few hours ago)

The Press Association: Sarah Ferguson apology on Oprah

The Duchess of York is to make a public apology on the Oprah Winfrey Show as she attempts to rebuild her life. The former royal has chosen to speak publicly in the US, not Britain, as the country probably holds more importance for her than the UK.

A source said: "She feels so much has been written she would like to have the chance to say sorry and explain - she's not going to be making excuses. It's no surprise she's doing something in America. It's no doubt where she will be returning to when she rebuilds her life."

The 10-minute interview with Oprah will be filmed on Friday
in Los Angeles and screened on Tuesday.

Wow. Really? Can it get any worse? Oh. Russo shouldn't have asked that sure as Murphy's law it will. . . .:ermm:

How quick to condemn without really knowing the whole sordid story. If it is sordid. Perhaps, others knew and Sarah is taking the fall. Actually, the whole thing is nonsense. It 2 weeks no one will care.

I don't understand the surprise.
Sarah's market is the US and largely female so she'll use what's available to engage that market. Oprah is the perfect vehicle and the perfect platform.

Hugh Grant went for the late night audience with Jay Leno and Larry King and set the PR text-book example for disgraced or severely embarrassed celebrities with his simple but highly effective damage-control three-point plan: accept personal responsibility, don't blame anyone else, and throw oneself at the mercy of the viewing audience (if possible, throw in ample self-deprecating humour).

Americans appear to rather enjoy participating in such public displays of confession and if they approve of the guilty party's self-abasement they will in return offer absolution and redemption. For Sarah, Oprah Winfrey's couch fits the bill nicely for this particular (re-) starting point in her (re-) rehabilitation process. For her part, Oprah gets an international audience and enhances her professional status. It's win-win. I'm not being cynical, this is the way such things are done these days.

The panels on the Lary King and Joy Behar have pretty much said that she was "driven to do this" because of her pitiful divorce settlement.

But Joy's show in particular is taking the Queen to task, which has been interesting to see. The whole settlement issue is extremely bizarre, I hope Oprah grills her on that. I know she didn't take such a low sum of money because she wanted to stay friendly with Elizabeth.

Bringing in a divorce settlement that happened over a decade ago just doesn't make sense at all other than a ploy to somehow drag the BRF into something that most likely they had no clue about. I think Oprah will be intelligent enough to stick to the incident at hand and let Sarah say her piece and perhaps ask where she plans to go from here and let that be it. As Warren posted its a 10 minute interview.

What amazes me is Sarah is supposed to meet with Andrew sometimes this weekend. For someone supposedly so down in the pocket she's really racking up the airmiles. New York, Los Angeles, London. I do suppose that the Oprah show would foot the bill to Los Angeles for a good story though.

If Sarah is smart, she wouldn't dare talk about the divorce settlement and how it relates to the Queen. She wasn't married to the Queen she was married to Andrew.

And I totally get that most of her business is with American businesses, and she feels that the people are more friendly to her. I just don't think it was necessary to point out the difference that it was more important to do American media versus British media. I understand that the British media is definitely anti Sarah, but her children are member of a family that for many represents Britian.

Who does her PR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom