The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Majesty

She didn't have a confidentiality agreement. Diana did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
How do they actually know the amount she was given in the settlement? I thought the info was all tied up in confidentiality agreement. So how would they know this?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
She didn't have a confidentiality agreement. Diana did.
I thought she said she did on Oprah? She couldn't explain the settlement, etc.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Majesty

I agree. Sarah had a very short "honeymoon" with the press. I don't remember any comment about her weight before her marriage, even though she wasn't slim even then. IIRC she was even praised as being a "real woman--with curves." Comparisons were made between her and the previous Duchess of York in fact. I remember that the press was unkind to her during her pregnancy with Beatrice. She didn't have the budget of a Princess of Wales, and so her maternity outfits were sometimes made-over day dresses and didn't look that great. Then there was that HORRID criticism of her when she went to Australia without baby Beatrice. The coverage of her improved when she slimmed down in the early 90s, I remember. She bobbed her hair and looked rather glamourous for awhile. It didn't take very long for the "Freebie Fergie" label to appear. She was criticized for taking Beatrice ski-ing not long after she had chicken pox. Those are the things that immediately come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
People can be very cruel and when it is anonymous even more so but for the victim of this bullying (and that is what it is) it is a very real feeling of despair.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Sarah wasn't able to explain much of anything as far as I could see...
Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Majesty

I suppose that no-one can force an adult to do what she doesn't want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
So here's my rhetorical question...
Why hadn't someone close to her (friends, advisers, ex-husband, children, accountant, business associates) insisted she get professional assistance in managing her financial affairs?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Sarah wasn't able to explain much of anything as far as I could see...
True. It was like she had one set answer and she was sticking to that. I didn't like how she was referring to herself in 3rd person. I guess she was trying say "that's not really me".
Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
She lookes totally lost and broken. Someone who does know which way to turn because she is very desperate. But it seems as if she is desperate in a way that she only wants her money problems to be fixed by someone. She is desperate for someone to dig her out of the hole she created. By dragging up the past in ragards to her $20k allowance, it seems to me as if she is "trying" to lay guilt on someone so that they say "poor sarah" let's increase your allowance and that will help you out.
I think part of an apology is not just saying, "I'm sorry," it's being able to say, "here is how I am going to change." I only saw clips of Sarah's interview, but I think it might have come across as unsatisfying because even though Sarah feels bad about what she did, if she can't explain how she's going to deal with her financial problems from now on, how are we supposed to know that she won't do something unethical again? I think you're right, Sarah wants someone to fix her debts for her, because she doesn't know how to do it herself. Probably the tabloid video forced her to admit she has a problem, but I don't think Sarah has yet faced the fact that she's going to have to change her lifestyle.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Majesty

The information is about halfway down this page.

Duchess of York's divorce settlement was worth £3 million - Telegraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I thought she said she did on Oprah? She couldn't explain the settlement, etc.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I wonder if this is the reason why Andrew seems to take care of her. There's also her mother-friend-than-mom relationship with her daughters. Remember the "tripod" comment of a couple of years ago or so? Perhaps she is simply incapable of fending for herself in the long-term. I remember he gave a speech recently in which he referred to Sarah as his third child. "Many a truth is spoken in jest."
That could be she leans on Andrew quite a bit and without anyone else to look out for her what can he do? I thought she would remarry early on instead of depending on Andrew so much.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
The information is about halfway down this page.

Duchess of York's divorce settlement was worth £3 million - Telegraph
Sarah seems very infantile, a kind of female Peter Pan. No wonder she seems to enjoy her daughters´ company more these days, they can all go clubbing and partying together.
It seems that she is not above telling "porkies" to get people on her side.
One of her main problems is her not following things through, making plans, then backing out and then as she can´t face the problems, or the people she has promised, she gets angry hurt, and emotional and makes excuses right and left, and in most cases disappears from view for a while then writes a very apologetic letter giving an excuse.
The money she received for her divorce settlement was more than adequate. I remember the Queen had given her the money for a house and that she just didn´t buy one and this seems to confirm this.
I wish she would marry a millionaire who is willing to look after her, and just disappear from the newspapers and preferably live in the US where she seems to be forgiven most things and made welcome.
Her charity work may have been successful as she is a very good talker and can get other people to part with their money. Anyone reading that she has opened hospitals could think she paid for them herself and not just persuaded others to do this.
She is not a person to admire, she is not that old, perhaps she can get over her problems or find someone to pay her debts but then I can only hope she doesn´t "do it all again". Her ability as an author has me doubtful as well, as the Duchess of York she was deemed a brilliant author, but now?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

IMO she'll never remarry : it would mean she could'nt use anymore the Duchess of York title... and since the divorce she has been milking it...
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
What exactly was her "quick-thinking action"?
IIRC, realizing that the attacks were probably more than they appeared, she insisted that her staff evacuate with her. If you read more about the attacks - and there is certainly a plethora of information available to you to do so - many people remained in the towers under instructions to "stay put." The people who survived fell largely into two categories: 1) those that had rehearsed for a disaster and activated their plans; and 2) those that insisted on evacuating and insisting that others go with them. In the latter category was my former brother in law, who stood up on his desk and announced to the 26 people who worked directly for him that, in spite of the "orders" to stay put, he was going to lead them out and down the stairwells, and he'd take responsibility for any negative repercussions.

But I'm sure that Mr. Google can be your friend if you will only let him. He's generous of heart. Mr. Bing is confusing.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
IMO she'll never remarry : it would mean she could'nt use anymore the Duchess of York title... and since the divorce she has been milking it...
Unless she marries, and recieves a better title.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Courtier

^^
Very true, Lumutqueen; but I doubt that she can catch someone with a better title and more royals connections than PA. Although if he has a lot of money....

I've been thinking that maybe if PA had married another woman after the divorce, SF would have realised that she is not still a dutchess, only the mother of two granddaughters of the queen. And she should have found another place to live, maybe that would have worked as a wake up call for her.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Unless she marries the other PA?
Yeah I think If Andrew re-married that would provide a wake up call for Sarah.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Courtier

^^
Good one Although that option seems a bit complicated....
Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melibea View Post
^^
Good one Although that option seems a bit complicated....
well put Melibea,
That option truly is complicated.....and I think he would have done so already if he had really wanted to.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Courtier

I can't think of what could possibly constitute a wake-up call for Sarah. I mean, if this isn't - what on earth could be?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
...She has made her bed, so to speak, so she has a tough road to hoe.
And in spite of all the Bush bashing former President Bush has receieved, he came out okay. Sarah has used every excuse in the book for her situation.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Majesty

I think that you've hit the nail on the head, Wisteria. Sarah seems to be like a teenager: she's full of heart and will campaign for a cause, but she's also impulsive and lacks the ability to see the consequences of her actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Sarah seems very infantile, a kind of female Peter Pan.