The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsofsky View Post
This is a kind of bribery, so it is not ethical, but I agree she isn't happy.She should IMO stop comparing herself with Diana's ghost and move on. also she should know that as an adult, wealth does not compensate for her emotional gaps. She shouln't consider herself as a door handle, orelse everybody around her will use her.
According to Tina Brown's book on Diana, they weren't even on speaking terms when Diana died.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

She married a sailor, she had to know that meant being away for longer periods of time.Also she had comfortable accomadations to live in (first Buck House and the Southyork) and official duties to undertake to keep her busy. Thousands of spouses of service people manage to keep their lives together with much fewer resources without running off to the south of France to have their toes sucked by their "financial advisor".
Sarah pulls out any excuse possible for bad behaviour, except personal responsibility.
In many countries influence peddling is a criminal offence. She will be lucky if the law doesnt come knocking on her door asking more pointed questions than Oprah did.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with everything you have said, osipi.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

Sarah was not a "shrewd " woman when she made the faux pas.. of cash for access..........
Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Influence peddling is not a faux pas.....in many countries it is a criminal offence. She will be very lucky if the law doesnt come knocking on her door asking much more pointed questions than Oprah did.
She may have very seriously harmed Andrew's ability to continue in his role as UK Special Trade Representative.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Royal Highness

Interpol and James Bond will not go knocking on her door; although it might be the thing that would have been correct to do just to sort things out etc..... . It just won't happen.imo
Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Probably not (if she is lucky), but I bet there will be more questions asked when she is back in UK. Hopefully no MP will ask for a parliamentary inquiry as that would open up a whole lot of questions about the role Andrew and other memebers of the Royal Family, and of course the costs, that no one would really want to see.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Had to look back in the posts and finally did find this that was posted a while back ago

Duchess of York urged to ‘come clean’ or face parliamentary inquiry - Times Online
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently not as hard done by as she might want people to think.
From Marlene's blog:
The Sunday Telegraph published the details of Sarah's divorce agreement, having received the information from senior court officials who were "incensed" by Sarah's claims that she had been "abandoned financially."

Senior court officials provided "precise details" about the divorce package:

* £500,000 provided by the Queen to purchase a new home for her and the children
* £1.4 million provided by the Queen to set up a trust fund for Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie
* £350,000 in cash provided by the Queen "which had no restriction on its use."
* An agreement that the Duke of York would pay for all school and university fees
* A "modest allowance" based on the Duke of York's salary as a naval officer.

The newspaper noted: "furthermore, the Royal Family did not insist on an all-binding confidentiality clause as a part of the divorce settlement." Sarah earned more than $2 million pounds in connection with her autobiography.

Incidentally, the broadsheets largely got it right in 1994, when The Times and The Daily Telegraph reported on the York divorce settlement
Old 06-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Majesty

However most of this 'money' wasn't for her but for her daughters or never materialised e.g. the house was never bought so that money was never paid. The Trust Fund was was Beatrice and Eugenie not for her so again nothing for her.

She got a one of payment of 300,000 pounds and a modest annual income of either 15,000 or 20,000 pounds. Even with no mortgage I couldn't live on that amount so I don't see how anyone can say that she got a good divorce settlement.

Many people have lost a lot of money during the GFC and Sarah has been one of them so she chose a perfectly legal way to get some money and has been pilloried for it.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for that Iluvbertie,post #612
Not all provisons of the settlement that were promised were actually given as agreed upon, Why not a parliamentiary enquiry into that? Is that not a form of embezzling her or defrauding Sarah I wonder?
This is another example ofthe BRF's slight of hand and mastery of legerdemain. Some hounds on the board; quite bloodthirsty want to see Sarah in handcuffs and chains for this alleged influence peddling and the mind bogglng ramifications it could have.....
Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Some hounds on the board; quite bloodthirsty want to see Sarah in handcuffs and chains for this alleged influence peddling.
If it would scare her straight, I might be for that.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Serene Highness

Ahh...of course, it`s a backlash from hundreds of angry viewers!

I went on the Oprah website when I saw the article. There were 141 comments and, because apparently I`m very interested in whether the papers ever report anything accurate, I counted up the comments. It seemed to be about 50/50 for positive and negative comments. (I counted 44 positive comments and 45 negative comments. And by `negative`, I mean any comment suggesting that Sarah seemed unstable/deceptive, even it included some words of support. The rest were just replies to comments, or discussed Oprah in general rather than Sarah.)

I guess this equates to a massive American backlash by hundreds of angry viewers, though...

I really don`t think most Americans care.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Yes.. it is all very sad. Alcoholism could possibly be one of her problems but she is the only one that would know that. It is a disease among quite a few other possibilities and actually the drinking is just one symptom of the disease. The only person that could really decide that is Sarah herself or a trained medical professional. I'm seriously hoping that she does take stock of herself, find the right path for her and live a happy life. We all deserve that.

I agree...none of us are perfect....all of us are searching for happiness.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
If it would scare her straight, I might be for that.
Russo ,
scaring her straight sounds like her probation officer.........
Ya can't enforce anything on this one
Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Many people have lost a lot of money during the GFC and Sarah has been one of them so she chose a perfectly legal way to get some money and has been pilloried for it.
What in this whole influence peddling scandal would you characterize as legal, or even remotely ethical?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Commoner

I am an American, and do care whenever I see someone hurting or who has made a serious blunder in their life. Unfortunately for Sarah, she has to do this with all the world judging her and that must be difficult, no matter if she is in the wrong or not. I feel for anyone in pain. I wish her happiness, as I wish all of humanity happiness and joy in living their lives.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

How do they actually know the amount she was given in the settlement? I thought the info was all tied up in confidentiality agreement. So how would they know this?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by baguetteprincess View Post
I am an American, and do care whenever I see someone hurting or who has made a serious blunder in their life. Unfortunately for Sarah, she has to do this with all the world judging her and that must be difficult, no matter if she is in the wrong or not. I feel for anyone in pain. I wish her happiness, as I wish all of humanity happiness and joy in living their lives.
I understand you care, but you`re posting on a royalty forum. I doubt most Americans follow royalty much, and when they do, see them as minor celebrities. Oprah has a huge audience, so 40-some negative comments on her website don`t really amount to an angry backlash, IMO.

The Daily Mail probably gets twice as many negative comments as that every day on an average royal-bashing article.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Thanks for that Iluvbertie,post #612
Not all provisons of the settlement that were promised were actually given as agreed upon, Why not a parliamentiary enquiry into that? Is that not a form of embezzling her or defrauding Sarah I wonder?
This is another example ofthe BRF's slight of hand and mastery of legerdemain. Some hounds on the board; quite bloodthirsty want to see Sarah in handcuffs and chains for this alleged influence peddling and the mind bogglng ramifications it could have.....
If she didn't buy a house why would it be paid to her? That would just be throwing money at her to squander. Her daughters were well provided for so there would have been no expense to her there.
Divorce settlements are not subject to parliamentary inquiries, taking money to influence a public official is.
Sarah's alimony was based on Andrew's income as a naval officer. He was not a wealthy man, and even today will never be as rich as his older brother. Why would she get more just becuase some members of his family have substantial wealth.
Sarah was not a child when they divorced and certainly not unworldly. She had lawyers and "financial advisors". If she was badly advised then let her sue those individuals for compensation.
She has written several books including her autobiography, there was money from the Young Victoria movie.....she squandered everything and now must deal with her own mess. I wish her luck with that, but please keep your daughters and ex husband out of it. Relocation to LA might be a good idea, they are used to flakey celebrities there, but please di it under your own name and stop using your husbands title for commercial purposes.
I would suggest the taxmen in UK, USA, Canada take a close look at her charities to make sure the money raised for them did not go into supporting the Duchess in the style she wished to be accustomed to.Desparate people do desparate things and I would not be at all surprised to find that the "administration" costs of her charities were quite high for unknown reasons.