Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 6: April 2010-October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What harm is she doing exactly?

None that I can see Lumutqueen. A mother and daughter go shopping, what they bought and who paid for it is their own business.
The criticism seems to be the presence of a security officer with Eugenie.
Even though she is their Mother I don't think Sarah has any real say regarding her daughters security. If Andrew got Sarah's car repaired that is up to him.

Last edited:
The withdrawal of the protection was never officially announced - and it might have been a slow withdrawal. Mother and daughter shopping, what Sarah does with her money is her problem. She is doing no harm to the BRF by shopping with her daughter. It's good that they get to spend this time together.

Spending time with her daughter and shopping is no big deal. It is the style in which she chooses to do so that is ridiculous and is simply fodder for those who constantly complain about the cost of the BRF. Shopping and spending time does not require a chauffered Bentley, IMO. :) And though I question the real need for a protection officer that is not really an issue either.

Spending time with her daughter and shopping is no big deal. It is the style in which she chooses to do so that is ridiculous and is simply fodder for those who constantly complain about the cost of the BRF. Shopping and spending time does not require a chauffered Bentley, IMO. :) And though I question the real need for a protection officer that is not really an issue either.

As both Beatrice and Eugenie are quite wealthy in their own rights - thanks to the trust funds established for them at the time of their parents divorce it is possible that it is Eugenie's idea to use the Bentley.

I have to wonder if it might be her and Andrew's idea of keeping their daughters "out front" with all the (useless) activities and chauffered automobiles. If they don't want to deal with parking they might want to try hiring a cab.

Prince Philip comes to mind who drove around London in his own taxi cab (constantly flashing the "occupied" sign) to avoid publicity for his comings and goings... On reading this Mail-article it seems to be a well-thought through idea!

What?

Prince Phillip drove a tax cab London? This is the first I have heard of that.

Last edited:
"Mother and daughter go shopping" - typical DM non-story, whereby they pick any aspect of the York ladies' day-to-day lives (shopping, eating out, etc.), and work up an overblown sense of outrage over their supposedly extravagant lifestyles, before hordes of their moronic readers spew out their bile and hatred into the comment section.
As for the Bentley - do these people expect them to take a bus, or what?

"Mother and daughter go shopping" - typical DM non-story, whereby they pick any aspect of the York ladies' day-to-day lives (shopping, eating out, etc.), and work up an overblown sense of outrage over their supposedly extravagant lifestyles, before hordes of their moronic readers spew out their bile and hatred into the comment section.
As for the Bentley - do these people expect them to take a bus, or what?

A few thoughts.

1) IMO, the criticism of Sarah comes from the fact that not that long ago, she tried selling access to a member of the BRF for money, presumably because of her own dire financial situation. As a result of this financial situation, some people have lost their jobs, reportedly former employees were not paid all their dues, creditors have had to settle for less than what was due to them......... all very unsatisfactory. Too then see Sarah eating at some of London's most expensive restaurants and enjoying trips to exotic destinations regularly is clearly not very palatable. You can refer to DM readers as moronic (and there may well be an element of truth in that!:lol:), but you cannot argue with Sarah's continued lapses of judgement.

2) As regards the Bentley, Sarah has been using that for some time now. If I am not mistaken, it was a present from Geir Frantzen, the Norweigen businessman with whom she was reported to be in a relationship some time back. It has since been reported that Geir himself has had financial issues.

That aside, it is rather an expensive automobile that very few people use. Does Sarah really need to travel every where in a chauffered Bentley? Whats wrong with getting a taxi- thats what most well to-do people in London do. Ever seen Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, HM or Philip (unless they are in their official state limousine) use such an extravagant car? C&C tend to use Audi's and Jaguars, and HM & Philip use a Jaguar or a Land Rover / Range Rover for private use - all cost substantially less than a Bentley Flying Spur to either buy or run.

Lets not turn Eugenie's thread into a rehash of Sarah's issues.

What?

Prince Phillip drove a tax cab London? This is the first I have heard of that.

Just google "Prince Philip" and "London Taxi" and enjoy the stories that will come up about it. He even had it converted to eco-friendly fuel at some point...:flowers:

Here's the quote from the official webpage of the British Monarchy:

85. The Duke, like many others, became concerned about the quality of the air in London in the 1960s and acquired an electric vehicle produced by Bedford, with a Lucas electric motor, and Chloride batteries for use in London. When these vehicles ceased to be produced, he acquired a London Metrocab Taxi, painted green, with an engine fuelled by liquid petroleum gas. The taxi was not required to pay the London Congestion Charge when that was introduced. It is still in use in 2011.

From: http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Factfiles/TheDukeofEdinburgh.aspx

Last edited:
Exactly, Muriel. Legally, Sarah is again a commoner. For her to appear to have a Royal lifestyle at the same time that she's financially insolvent, when her creditors have had losses, is in poor judgement.

IMO, the criticism of Sarah comes from the fact that not that long ago, she tried selling access to a member of the BRF for money, presumably because of her own dire financial situation. As a result of this financial situation, some people have lost their jobs, reportedly former employees were not paid all their dues, creditors have had to settle for less than what was due to them......... all very unsatisfactory. Too then see Sarah eating at some of London's most expensive restaurants and enjoying trips to exotic destinations regularly is clearly not very palatable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, the purpose of this thread is not to rehash Sarah's transgressions. Its Eugenie's Current Events.

Any and all additional posts that continue to talk about Sarah's bankruptcy and/or her life will be deleted without notice.

Perhaps because we haven't seen her since the wedding. Or the security withdrawal has calmed them.

Or because they realize that as a student who isn't taking night classes, she has a right to go out and enjoy herself like other students.

Honestly if the tabloids would stop following Eugenie and reporting on her non royal engagements, and recognize that she is a full time student....perhaps she wouldnt need security.

I think it's crazy that Pss E (and her sister) don't have security. I still don't 100% believe it. I'm not saying the British taxpayers should foot the bill, but the BRF has enough $$$ to pay for it out of its own pocket. In this day and age, with terrorism (or the threat of it) to the left and right, not to mention crazy and desperate people out there, I think it's an awful risk to have the York girls unattended ~ these are HM's grandchildren, after all. I know the argument is that neither Peter nor Zara Phillips have protection and they are also grandchildren of the Queen, but they are not as high profile as Pss B & E, nor do they have the title. And while that might not entirley matter, I do think that if some lunatic wanted to get some attention or whatever, kidnapping a royal princess would get far more attention than abducting a banker or an equestrian.

I think it's crazy that Pss E (and her sister) don't have security. I still don't 100% believe it. I'm not saying the British taxpayers should foot the bill, but the BRF has enough $$$ to pay for it out of its own pocket. In this day and age, with terrorism (or the threat of it) to the left and right, not to mention crazy and desperate people out there, I think it's an awful risk to have the York girls unattended ~ these are HM's grandchildren, after all. I know the argument is that neither Peter nor Zara Phillips have protection and they are also grandchildren of the Queen, but they are not as high profile as Pss B & E, nor do they have the title. And while that might not entirley matter, I do think that if some lunatic wanted to get some attention or whatever, kidnapping a royal princess would get far more attention than abducting a banker or an equestrian.

One could argue that Zara is more high profile considering her career.

One could argue that Zara is more high profile considering her career.

That career was a personal choice. Being HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie wasn't. They hold their titles because of who their father is - a son of the monarch and thus their profile will be higher for a lot longer.

If Zara wasn't a world class sportswoman she wouldn't have much of a profile at all and when she finishes that career she will fade into the background to a large extent.

Beatrice, at least, will be part of the royal family establishment and have some behind the scenes duties to perform over the next at least 22 years. Unless the Queen lives another 22 years Beatrice will be a Counsellor of State and thus will be performing the official role of the monarch on occasions e.g. signing legislation. If William is King in 22 years she will still be serving until there are 2 children over 21 so she is rather more central to the monarchy than Zara.

That career was a personal choice. Being HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie wasn't. They hold their titles because of who their father is - a son of the monarch and thus their profile will be higher for a lot longer.

Zara didn't chose to be a champion horse rider, she became one through hard work.

Beatrice, at least, will be part of the royal family establishment and have some behind the scenes duties to perform over the next at least 22 years. Unless the Queen lives another 22 years Beatrice will be a Counsellor of State and thus will be performing the official role of the monarch on occasions e.g. signing legislation. If William is King in 22 years she will still be serving until there are 2 children over 21 so she is rather more central to the monarchy than Zara.

Please provide proof of this.

You might want to check out Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

It begins with:

the United Kingdom, Counsellors of State are senior members of the British royal family to whom the Monarch, currently Elizabeth II, delegates certain state functions and powers when she is in another Commonwealth realm, abroad or unavailable for other reasons (such as short-term incapacity or sickness). Any two Counsellors of State may preside over Privy Council meetings, sign state documents or receive the credentials of new ambassadors to the United Kingdom.

Currently, the Counsellors of State are:
  • HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
  • HRH The Prince of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of Cambridge
  • HRH Prince Henry of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of York
----------------------

When the DoE dies, I would imagine that Princess Beatrice of York will take his place, and when the Queen dies and Charles becomes King, Eugenie will than take Charles's place until William has children and they reach 21 and they (Beatrice and Eugenie) will be replaced. Its interesting to note that Edward of Wessex and the Princess Royal were Counsellors until William and Harry of Wales turned the magical age of 21. And in the past, the Gloucesters (Richard and William) and the Kents (Edward and Alexandra) have served as Counsellors.

I read an article about the history of the Spares and one of the sources (can't remember the specific name) indicated that Margaret took her role as a Counsellor very seriously and was hurt when she was replaced, I think she was a Counsellor until Edward turned 21.

Last edited:
Zara didn't chose to be a champion horse rider, she became one through hard work.

She chose to become an equestrienne. She could have chosen to become a school teacher. That she is good at it doesn't take away from the fact that it was her choice to put in the work to become a champion.

Please provide proof of this.

The 1937 and 1953 Regency Acts.

Under these Acts the Cousellors of State are the next four adults in the line of succession over 21 and resident in the UK and the consort to the monarch.

At the moment the four that qualify as adult in the line of succession over 21 and resident in the UK are Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

When the Queen dies, unless the Queen lives for another 22 years (allowing William and Kate to have their first child next year) Beatrice will serve as a CoS from the Queen's death until that first child reaches 21 as she would be the 4th adult over 21 in the line of succession.

If Charles also died in that 22 year period the Eugenie would serve until there were two children from either William or Harry or even Beatrice over 21.

The fifth CoS at the moment is Philip - as the consort of the monarch. If he dies in the present reign it is possible that he could be replaced but more likely they will simply wait until the Queen dies and then Camilla will also become a CoS as the consort of the monarch.

Last edited:
You might want to check out Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

It begins with:

the United Kingdom, Counsellors of State are senior members of the British royal family to whom the Monarch, currently Elizabeth II, delegates certain state functions and powers when she is in another Commonwealth realm, abroad or unavailable for other reasons (such as short-term incapacity or sickness). Any two Counsellors of State may preside over Privy Council meetings, sign state documents or receive the credentials of new ambassadors to the United Kingdom.

Currently, the Counsellors of State are:
  • HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
  • HRH The Prince of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of Cambridge
  • HRH Prince Henry of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of York
----------------------

When the DoE dies, I would imagine that Princess Beatrice of York will take his place, and when the Queen dies and Charles becomes King, Eugenie will than take Charles's place until William has children and they reach 21 and they (Beatrice and Eugenie) will be replaced. Its interesting to note that Edward of Wessex and the Princess Royal were Counsellors until William and Harry of Wales turned the magical age of 21. And in the past, the Gloucesters (Richard and William) and the Kents (Edward and Alexandra) have served as Counsellors.

I read an article about the history of the Spares and one of the sources (can't remember the specific name) indicated that Margaret took her role as a Counsellor very seriously and was hurt when she was replaced, I think she was a Counsellor until Edward turned 21.

I don't think anyone would replace Philip if he predeceased the Queen as he qualifies as the consort of the monarch and no one else would met that qualification. If they did decide to replace Philip Camilla would be a logical choice as the consort of the heir to the throne.

The present Duke of Gloucester is unique in that he served two periods as a CoS - from when he turned 21 until Charles turned 18 (Charles served from 18 as the heir to the throne) and the others were Margaret, the old Duke of Gloucester and his older brother (he replaced the present Duke of Kent), then his brother died and he had to serve again until he was replaced by Andrew. Margaret served until Edward turned 21 and then Anne was replaced by William and Edward by Harry.

The law states who could serve not who will. I'm not saying they can't but considering the talk of taking them out of the loop there's reason to believe that they may not be included in this.

She chose to become an equestrienne. She could have chosen to become a school teacher. That she is good at it doesn't take away from the fact that it was her choice to put in the work to become a champion.

Zara has an MBE, is a former World Champion and European gold medalist. Yes, Eugenie is Princess and that would get news but at the moment Zara has the higher profile and, as Eugenie leaves school and tries to find her legs she could find herself out of the spotlight for a number of years.

Last edited:
The law states who could serve not who will. I'm not saying they can't but considering the talk of taking them out of the loop there's reason to believe that they may not be included in this.

You are correct in that it states who is eligible and that only two are needed at any given time but it would take legislation to strip them of the right to be a CoS - that position is automatic even though they may not all serve at any time in their lives e.g. I don't think Philip has ever served as he has always accompanied the Queen on her overseas trips and thus has never been in the country when CoS's are actually serving but that doesn't mean that he isn't a CoS.

Zara has an MBE, is a former World Champion and European gold medalist. Yes, Eugenie is Princess and that would get news but at the moment Zara has the higher profile and, as Eugenie leaves school and tries to find her legs she could find herself out of the spotlight for a number of years.

No one is disputing what Zara has achieved. I have simply tried to get through to you that is was her choice to put herself in that position. Beatrice and Eugenie didn't have a choice about being Princesses and thus their profile wasn't their choice, or even their parents' choice. It was a position that they gained simply by being born to a son of the reigning monarch. The later decision by Edward to deny his children that title as children wasn't considered possible in the 1980s.

I hope that both Beatrice and Eugenie gain careers away from the public sphere and have wonderful lives and are only seen at maybe the Trooping the Colour. I also wouldn't be surprised if Charles issues LPs to strip them of the HRH titles in time restricting those with it to the children of the monarch and the children of the heir.

The British public want a smaller royal family and they will get it with these girls going a different route so that in the Queen's grandchildren's generation there will only be the four royals - William, Kate, Harry and spouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom