The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Friends on facebook or friends in real life?
Just because this person may have not used the correct safety precautions, doesn't make her a bad friend, facebook has been critizied endlessly for not making clear the safety arrangements on your profile.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.
Eugenie is young, she is only doing what her cousins have done, she's having fun.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post

I that P.Eugenia needs to watch her "friends":
Unfortunately, that has always been the case in the royal circles: who can you trust?

Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Unfortunately, that has always been the case in the royal circles: who can you trust?
Quite true. Even when royalty didn't mix with the common folks, rumors would have floated around the upper crust so, yes it's a bit of an issue how much to tell someone.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Courtier

I am having a hard time understanding why ANY of this is that big of a deal. ANd the argument the Eugenie is a Princess and needs to behave as such rather than behaving as anyone else her age behaves is ludicrous.

None of the Royals CHOSE to be born into the positions they are in and to ask them to behave "above" everyone else or differently than anyone else is wrong. I have numerous goofy photos of myself and friends on Facebook. I also have photos where I'm drinking or smoking, etc etc etc. I'm years older than Eugenie. REgardless of whether my page is private or not, they're there...

The photos appear to me to be of a young lady out with her friends having a great time and should be left at that.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Nobility

When you're entire life is paid for, when tax payers pay for things like protection, when you're able to take a trip to various spots on the planet when the world is in a recession and all you're expected to do is to represent your nation, you're held to a higher standard then others.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
When you're entire life is paid for, when tax payers pay for things like protection, when you're able to take a trip to various spots on the planet when the world is in a recession and all you're expected to do is to represent your nation, you're held to a higher standard then others.

However the York princesses 'entire life' is not paid for. They have security supplied at taxpayers expense and the rest of their lifestyle is funded from the private wealth of the Queen, not the taxpayers. They are thus answerable to her and their father and no one else.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
I am having a hard time understanding why ANY of this is that big of a deal. ANd the argument the Eugenie is a Princess and needs to behave as such rather than behaving as anyone else her age behaves is ludicrous.

Baby doll, you're not a Princess and they are held to a higher standard. Did you want them (the Princesses) to be in the gutter with the rest of us?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Courtier

I'm not a Princess and I recognize that, but I find it completely ridiculous to hold people to a higher standard simply because they won the gene lottery and were born into something. Eugenie did not choose to be born into the title of Princess, and regardless of whether she were to renounce her title she remains the granddaughter of a reigning monarch and therefore would be watched. She should be allowed to behave as she wishes to behave. Nothing she is doing is hurting anyone.

If being "in the gutter" is where you feel people who express themselves and enjoy themselves are, then yes, I think that's where they should be...so long as it's legal and they aren't hurting anyone. It's ten times better than them being pretentious snobbish brats who feel they are better than everyone and refuse to give the "common" person the time of day.

As for their lives being paid for by the public taxpayers, I was under the impression security was paid for by the taxpayers simply due to her title and relative proximity to the actual "throne".... Should she renounce the title then and forego the security detail? Would her actions and behaviors then be less scrutinized?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Majesty

The only part of their lives paid for by the taxpayers is their security.

There was an earlier post however that referred to their 'entire' life being paid for when it is security only.

I agree with you. Eugenie is a young woman who is still at uni and has some maturing to do. When she is 25 I wouldn't expect her to be doing this sort of thing. As girls mature earlier than boys generally I would expect the girls to put their wild ways behind them by 25 whereas Harry clearly hasn't completed the maturing process. He is getting there but isn't there yet.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 AM
Courtier

Fair enough. But then my question is what happens when she reaches 25-27 and perhaps a photo surfaces of her out with her friends at a club, or bar, or even a private party where they're just having a good time, but the photos or outcome is similar (alcohol in hand or silly face being made)? Is she to be written off as a horrible princess or trash who will never learn? What if she's doing charity work by day, or even a typical job, but then goes out and lets a little loose with her friends?

I guess my point through this all is that it seems harsh to judge these people who don't CHOOSE this life, by higher standards. It's one thing to say, well, you chose to become President, or Politician or Diplomat or whatever, and therefore the morale standards you will be held to are to be more strict than those of the general public. And quite another to expect those born into the position to adhere to standards that a typical person off the street isn't required to meet.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The only part of their lives paid for by the taxpayers is their security.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-says-former-S

The above is the opinion of someone who knows.

By the way if you really believe that the British royal family only costs a matter of pennies each to the British tax payer and security is the only part of the girlsī life that is paid for from public funds and that the rest comes from their fatherīs seemingly inexhaustible pocket, then I would like to sell you the Tower of London, which has recently come into my possession.
PayPal accepted.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
However the York princesses 'entire life' is not paid for. They have security supplied at taxpayers expense and the rest of their lifestyle is funded from the private wealth of the Queen, not the taxpayers. They are thus answerable to her and their father and no one else.
They're entire lives are paid for as they don't have to work for anything, they're given everything they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
I guess my point through this all is that it seems harsh to judge these people who don't CHOOSE this life, by higher standards. It's one thing to say, well, you chose to become President, or Politician or Diplomat or whatever, and therefore the morale standards you will be held to are to be more strict than those of the general public. And quite another to expect those born into the position to adhere to standards that a typical person off the street isn't required to meet.
If that's the case then don't bother enjoying all the things your title brings. You're royalty, and as as such are held to specific standards, if you don't want to be held to those standards then drop your title and get a job like Anne's kids.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-says-former-S

The above is the opinion of someone who knows.

By the way if you really believe that the British royal family only costs a matter of pennies each to the British tax payer and security is the only part of the girlsī life that is paid for from public funds and that the rest comes from their fatherīs seemingly inexhaustible pocket, then I would like to sell you the Tower of London, which has recently come into my possession.
PayPal accepted.

Your link doesn't work.

I wasn't referring to the BRF but to the two York Princesses.

The Queen and Prince Philip get paid from the Civil List. All other payments made as annuities are repaid by the Queen and so Andrew's income is essentially from his mother. He also has a navy pension - as do any other servicemen who have put in the required years of service. Of course Andrew also gets paid expenses by the government when he carries out duties for them.

Eugenie and Beatrice are not getting paid by the government and thus by the taxpayers. Their security is most certainly paid by the taxpayers of course. When they appear in public with other royals and they have legitimate expenses e.g. if they assist their father on a visit and have an expense and the government agrees that it is an expense then that will be paid. Any transport costs associated with such an enterprise would also be picked up by the government.

However, as they aren't doing royal duties on any sort of scale, but are full-time students, they are not supported by taxpayers but by their father who in turn is supported by the Queen from her income from the Duchy of Lancaster. They also have trust funds from their great-grandmother, which Sarah has admitted that they have used to help her financially.

There are some people who believe that the Duchy of Lancaster income and the Duchy of Cornwall income are actually taxpayer funded but that only holds if all other private estate incomes are so regarded e.g. the Earl Spencer's income from Althorp.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
They're entire lives are paid for as they do I n't have to work for anything, they're given everything they have.
Only to the same extent as any other person of their age is paid for by their parents. They don't have to work, yet, because they are full-time students and come from a wealthy family. I took your post to mean that they were being paid for by the British taxpayers - and they are not. The vast majority of their expenses, except for their security, are paid for by their father and grandmother.

In time they will either get full-time jobs or become full-time royals but at the moment they are students whose wealthy family are supporting them.

Quote:
If that's the case then don't bother enjoying all the things your title brings. You're royalty, and as as such are held to specific standards, if you don't want to be held to those standards then drop your title and get a job like Anne's kids.

They are full time students so getting a job isn't an option yet. They aren't as wild as Zara was in many ways at the same age. It really isn't fair to compare 20 and 22 years now to a 29 and 33 year old but to compare them to the 29 and 33 year old when they were 20 and 22 and there were lots of stories about wild Zara in particular with her jockey boyfriends and rebelliousness. In time the York girls will either become focussed working royals or get full-time jobs away from the royal spotlight but at the moment they are students, having a bit of fun.

What was so wrong with a young 20 year old girl making faces in private anyway?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Isn't this true of any child/very young adult whose parents can afford to pay for their education? I didn't have to pay for room and board because I stayed at home and commuted to university. Parents generally help their children as much as they're able.

Quote:
They're entire lives are paid for as they don't have to work for anything, they're given everything they have.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Isn't this true of any child/very young adult whose parents can afford to pay for their education? I didn't have to pay for room and board because I stayed at home and commuted to university. Parents generally help their children as much as they're able.
That is my understanding as well. Eugenie is wealthy and a royal.
I don't think she's done anything wrong at all. They're just pictures of her with her friends making faces- some people think it's un-royal. I think it's just another 20-year-old having some fun with "friends."
Old 10-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Nobility

What are the chances of them ever having a real career? Unlike Anne's kids, who were raised mostly outside the system, the York girls have little reason stretch out. I believe them to be too accustomed to their titles and what they can get from them to really push.

I never said there was anything wrong with the pics themselves but it's been stated repeatedly in the past the York's have to know that the perception of their family is beyond poor, for every forward step they take for something like Beatrice running a marathon they take five back for just about anything else. At some point you (More Eugenie than Beatrice at this point) have to sit there and think that, as much as you want to have fun, goofing around isn't helping. In the eyes of the public, your mother is a joke, a spendthrift, jobless and your father
Old 10-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
At some point you (More Eugenie than Beatrice at this point) have to sit there and think that, as much as you want to have fun, goofing around isn't helping. In the eyes of the public, your mother is a joke, a spendthrift, jobless and your father has a terrible reputation as Airmiles Andy.
There, I fixed it for you.

Here's an article I found on security.
Met police spends more than Ģ350,000 a day on VIP protection - Telegraph
Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Majesty

At this point in time we don't know what the intentions are with regard to the future of the York. I am sure that they do, but their degrees aren't ones that tell you obviously what career they will be following, whereas Zara and Peter both studied sports based degrees at university with a clear indication that they would work in those fields.

For the York girls History (Beatrice), Art History, Literature and Politics (Eugenie) don't have a career jumping at you. Those sorts of subjects here would be leading to teaching (hardly), curators (possibly in the Royal Collection) or a springboard to further education.

So either they are going to have to do more education to get something that is career specific, or somehow use what they have or do royal duties for a living. I do see Beatrice going the full time royal route with Eugenie doing something else - such as working in the Royal Collection or the Archives as Windsor - hopefully starting at the bottom but there are certainly careers in those areas for her.

The girls can do one of two things with regard to their parents - ignore it and live their own lives, or say 'wow - I can't have any fun, in case a friend posts silly photos on Facebook, because my parents are hated by the British public and message board members'. Thankfully, to my mind, the young 20 year old Princess is enjoying life while she can knowing that in a couple of years she has to enter the work force - either for the Firm or in something else - she knows I am sure but we don't.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Courtier

Ah the elusive royal duties. One day perhaps these will be listed for people to understand. Does one go to university to go and smile at a hospital and receive a bunch of flowers, and to read out a nice little comforting speech written by a secretary to the assembled people who have an interest in the subject of the speech?
Is there a necessity for a degree to hold a pair of silver scissors and cut a ribbon and receive yet another bunch of flowers.
Perhaps a course in floral arrangement would have been a good course to take, but then one of their security officers has probably taken one to be of better use as he trails after these young ladies.
As to the future of York? Who knows who will get the title after Andrew? He still has time to marry again and have a son but it is a title that is given (by favour) to the son or grandson of a sovereign so it is more likely that it will be given to the son of the monarch of the time.
As to the assumption that they know what they are doing, their mother when she had a spot of bother said she didnīt know what she was doing because she was drunk and the ex-husband, she was boarding with, didnīt know anything about it either.
Curator of the royal collection, or working in the archives, that to me for a royal princess sounds very much like the ribbon cutting to open a new railway station. When the two Princes William and Harry marry and have children I canīt even see them doing this, that will be their job.
A good start to their future life would be to save the British public some money by having their security (deemed unnecessary) removed and make sure that when they have fun they do it out of the sight of cameras.
As far as Beatrice is concerned I am all for her marrying Dave and retiring to a domestic life of luxury. Good luck to her.

Tags
princess eugenie