Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 6: April 2010-October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hectic social life causes Princess Eugenie to fall behind at uni

Princess Eugenie has been partying so hard she risks failing her second-year exams, according to a friend.

Read more: Princess Eugenie falls behind at uni | Mail Online

I wonder if someone at the DM thought for a moment that she is partying in order to forget the trouble with her parents? And the harrassment of the media? Such a hypocrisy :ermm:.

The only way a "friend" would know if Eugenie fell behind on her courses if she told them. And if that is the case, hopefully,she will realize that isn't a real "friend."

Eugenie is (somewhat at least) like a lot of college kids who like to go out and this may have affected her school work. Hopefully, if this article is true, she will realize that 1) not everyone is her friend and will sell her out for a pound or two and 2) she needs to buckle down. She can go out and have fun but school works obviously needs to be first. I remember a lot of kids when I first went to university who weren't used to the freedom that college brings and failed out after their first year. I am sure that won't be the case for her....but she needs to put college first.

IF (and a big if) the article is true.

I am not a fan of the York family at all, as anyone reading my posts can see BUT why is all this emphasis on the two princesses working or studying or anything else.? They have been born princesses with the magical HRH before their names, which more or less lets them do anything with a body guard to see they come to no harm physically. I actually felt offended when I read here that once Kate Middleton's sister, Pippa, actually expected the two princess to move up and make room for her next to them at a fashion show.
For once I felt the princesses did the right thing and refused.
They have been born to privilege, they have never had to actually do anything, they have been brought up by their parents to expect the world to fall at their respective feet, and the world does, mainly because of these magic letters before their names. Why should they have to work if they don't want to, why should they even study, especially if they are not academically inclined? They are never going to have to earn their own living, do housework unless it is like the Queen, who we have heard, enjoys a little stint of washing up and cooking at her little shooting cabin, when hunting, unless something, Heaven forbid, like the Russian Revolution happens in Britain.
As to how would anyone know that Princess Eugenie is on her way to failing this year, anyone who studies with her would probably know that, and any lecturer as well and not everyone in her year is actually a friend so if a reporter asks them he is quite likely to get an answer.
They are seen partying all the time and recently in a place that is thought of a a kind of den of iniquity, and then this story is told, well I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear its true, but why does it matter?
Prince William can go to a posh restaurant in tennis shoes and no coat, no one else can, but he has privilege, as Prince Andrew said about his qualifications for representing Great Britain he has "genetical qualifications" and the whole royal family has these very same genes which lets them do anything they please and be venerated as they do it.
For these reasons, I would stop criticising these girls for not studying as hard as some of their not so well off colleagues or later for not getting a job, they don't have to, they were born to a life of luxury, let them enjoy it.

To some extent, I agree with you, Wisteria. They are Princesses. That does make them special, and entitles them to certain priviledges in life. I wouldn’t dream of forcing them to work if they don’t want to, but some degree of structure in one’s life is surely a good thing, and can make you more fulfilled as a person. I think the experience of being at university will be good for them, and they both had good A-Level results (exams at 18) – in fact Eugenie’s were the best that anyone in the RF ever managed. I dislike the media obsession with them studying / working, and the ridiculous complaints about partying (they’re in their early 20s!), and I suspect both of them will CHOOSE to do some kind of work – whether that’s commercially or in a charitable sense. But as you say, that’s up to them to decide, not something for the media to railroad them into.

I suspect this story from the “friend” is a load of rubbish. This kind of unattributable quote is so easy for papers to make up, and I hope Eugenie will prove them wrong by passing these exams. Most people go a little party-crazy at university, whatever their background!

As I 've heard and observed ,the princess Eugenie doesn't enjoy much popularity in Britain,she is very often criticised in papers and generally

Really, Eugenie is guilty by association as the daughter of Andrew and Sarah. As previously pointed out, her cousins (Zara, Peter, William and Harry) have all enjoyed the club scene while in university and they haven't received half the criticism that the York Princesses do.

Also, I noted in the DM comments that she is being criticized for going to school...as if she was taking someone's place. I don't recall that with William. And for that matter, if she didn't go to school she would get the same criticism that she wasnt' doing anything. The fact is, Eugenie is supposed to be intelligent. If she is not going to do royal duties and get off the tax payers back (again based on some of the comments) , what does everyone expect her to do? Shouldn't she get an education so she can support herself in some manner? But then I suppose we will hear complaints that she is taking the job of someone else, and she should just live off her trust funds. Then she would get criticized for not doing anything to give back.

She can't win.

I think that both Beatrice and Eugenie might be better off living somewhere else than the UK when they finish their education. Otherwise, they'll be hounded and criticized until their parents are deceased. They'd be better off in one of the Commonwealth countries or in the US, I think.

She can't win.

I think that both Beatrice and Eugenie might be better off living somewhere else than the UK when they finish their education. Otherwise, they'll be hounded and criticized until their parents are deceased. They'd be better off in one of the Commonwealth countries or in the US, I think.

While it may seem that way now, I think that as more attention is shifted to Prince (King) Charles and his sons (and their families) there will be less relevence placed on other members of the RF, including Prince Andrew and especially Sarah. I also think that as Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie move into their 20s and 30s and marry and have families themselves (and more-than-likely take on some royal duties) they will be regarded in their own right, rather than in that of their parents.

While it may seem that way now, I think that as more attention is shifted to Prince (King) Charles and his sons (and their families) there will be less relevence placed on other members of the RF, including Prince Andrew and especially Sarah. I also think that as Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie move into their 20s and 30s and marry and have families themselves (and more-than-likely take on some royal duties) they will be regarded in their own right, rather than in that of their parents.

Unfortunately I think the damage is done.

I do think they should get 'real' jobs rather than the vacuus work of royals and live away from the public eye with maybe an appearance at Trooping the Colour every 10 years or so.

Charles wants a smaller royal family and I think he is right - have the monarch and spouse and heir and spouse as the only ones who do royal work and let the others have 'real' jobs and not be harassed - yes that means Harry as well not appearing anywhere either. This applies when Charles becomes King - so the Gloucesters and Kents also retire along with Charles' siblings - leaving Charles and Camilla, William and Kate as the only working royals.

I think that Beatrice and Eugenie would have to be as pure as the driven snow from now on to escape the reputation of their parents; and even then, they'd be unfairly targeted. Even if they tried to escape the public eye, I don't think they could while living in the UK.

While it may seem that way now, I think that as more attention is shifted to Prince (King) Charles and his sons (and their families) there will be less relevence placed on other members of the RF, including Prince Andrew and especially Sarah.

But why should they leave the UK because people can't get over THEIR hangups? Then they would be accused of not caring about England. And whether or not the British tax payer moeny was being spent on the York Princesses who don't even live in England.

Beatrice and Eugenie have done nothing wrong.

Unfortunately I think the damage is done.

I do think they should get 'real' jobs rather than the vacuus work of royals and live away from the public eye with maybe an appearance at Trooping the Colour every 10 years or so.

Charles wants a smaller royal family and I think he is right - have the monarch and spouse and heir and spouse as the only ones who do royal work and let the others have 'real' jobs and not be harassed - yes that means Harry as well not appearing anywhere either. This applies when Charles becomes King - so the Gloucesters and Kents also retire along with Charles' siblings - leaving Charles and Camilla, William and Kate as the only working royals.

You can't just retire those people, what is is someone like Anne supposed to do, just retired on the spot? Beatrice and Eugenie are princesses and could still be an asset once out of school. There needs to be a winding down of sorts, I think it will start with the next generation as it's the cleanest way around the problem. No one complaining about being excluded and years of the info being known before the fact.

None of the younger generation can pass a title on their own, the York girls' titles die with them unless the throne somehow makes it to Andrew so they're not the issue as much as Harry. Cutting it off there to include only the monarch and his family makes it easiest, Harry couldn't pass the HRH along without taking the throne and if Charles is excluded it's even easier as only William would have the power then.

You can't just retire those people, what is is someone like Anne supposed to do, just retired on the spot? Beatrice and Eugenie are princesses and could still be an asset once out of school. There needs to be a winding down of sorts, I think it will start with the next generation as it's the cleanest way around the problem. No one complaining about being excluded and years of the info being known before the fact.

None of the younger generation can pass a title on their own, the York girls' titles die with them unless the throne somehow makes it to Andrew so they're not the issue as much as Harry. Cutting it off there to include only the monarch and his family makes it easiest, Harry couldn't pass the HRH along without taking the throne and if Charles is excluded it's even easier as only William would have the power then.

As the time I am talking about is 10 - 20 years away Anne will be nearing 80 so not hard to have her retire and the Gloucesters and Kents even older. I am not saying do it now but when Charles becomes King. By then Andrew will be closer to 70 and Edward easily in his 60s - even William will be approaching 50. If Beatrice and Eugenie never start then they won't have to give up and those that have been doing it can simply retire. Harry should be still in the army in 15 years time and able to continue serving for another 15 years or so after that and retire on his army pension.

Then when William becomes King it will be William, Kate and their adult children with no hangers on (and I would advocate only William's heir and no other children involved). Cut it to the bare bones and it might survive but as it is it is too large and young people are subjected to much cruel and vitriolic abuse simply because they are doing what other young people have done.

I know that they haven't done anything wrong, but sometimes people need to move to escape their family's reputation. I just think of how vicious the tabloids are going to be for these young women until William and Harry's children are of an age to be "picked on." If they were to live outside the UK, they might have a better chance of living happier lives, that's all.

But why should they leave the UK because people can't get over THEIR hangups? Then they would be accused of not caring about England. And whether or not the British tax payer moeny was being spent on the York Princesses who don't even live in England.

Beatrice and Eugenie have done nothing wrong.

I know that there has been a fair amount of criticism of the two princesses in the past. Their parents wanted them to have the HRH title and to whom much is given - much is expected.

But IMO it is just not fair to critisize them right now. They are by all appearances a very close-knit family and they must be devastated by the press coverage of their father. It's a very painful and difficult time for them and I'm sure that they are trying to handle it the best way that they can.

I know that there has been a fair amount of criticism of the two princesses in the past. Their parents wanted them to have the HRH title and to whom much is given - much is expected.

It had nothing to do with the parents' wishes but rather to do with the 1917 LPs - under those LPs they were automatically HRH Princesses and that was all there was to it - the same way the the present Queen was born a Princess as were her sister and her cousins, The Dukes of Gloucester and Kent and Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra.

Anne's children, like Margaret's and Princess Mary's before her weren't entitled to HRH because the LPs on 1917 specifically refer to sons not daughters. Hence Peter, Zara, David and Sarah along with the Harewood's don't have the HRH - nothing to do with parental wishes as such but to do with the 1917 LPs.

The Queen has allowed Edward to use a lesser title for his children but that doesn't mean that they aren't HRH Princess Louise and HRH Prince James (although there is some argument about that but that is for another thread).

To strip them of the title HRH would mean that Harry's children couldn't have it either (his children should be the children of the second son as well) and the Gloucesters and Kents should lose it as well - being the children of the third and fourth sons.

It's interesting to see the difference between the way Europeans and Americans think. In the US, going to university is part of the American dream, regardless of your family's income level. If you are wealthy it's important to go to university to learn how to keep your money. Some of the Europeans on this thread seem to think the money magically takes care of itself and that all of the money advisors are honest. I remember Princess Caroline feeling insulted because one of Charlotte's teachers asked her " Why do you study so hard, your family is wealthy?" You can tell she was raised by an American.

The Queen has allowed Edward to use a lesser title for his children but that doesn't mean that they aren't HRH Princess Louise and HRH Prince James (although there is some argument about that but that is for another thread).

Legally they are a prince and princess but because of their parents wishes they aren't officially.

To strip them of the title HRH would mean that Harry's children couldn't have it either (his children should be the children of the second son as well) and the Gloucesters and Kents should lose it as well - being the children of the third and fourth sons.

His kids being the second son's children means nothing. Harry's title, like Beatrice and Eugenie's, come from the fact that they are male line grandchildren of a monarch, as such the title can be given to a spouse (only in Harry's case) but not the children. If Charles were to be skipped over, William would have to issue letters patent for Harry's kids because it wouldn't happen automatically. Prince Michael of Kent is an example/ Male line grandchild of a monarch passes his title to his wife but his kids are a lord and lady.

I don't think he'd strip them of their titles. (I wonder if it's even possible to lose one's title without some kind of crime or a willful renouncement) But I think the titled cousin ends with them.

Last edited:
Birthday

I'm surprised no one mentioned Eugenie's birthday! She turns 21 years-old today. (Unless I am wildly mistaken)

Happy Birthday Eugenie!

These girls can't win

I usually don't read the comments that follow stories like this 'cuz they are often so outrageous and nasty. But I figured, there are only 11 and really, what could anyone say in the negative?

Boy was I wrong! Here Pss E has a very VERY low-key birthday celebration (bike riding, friends paying their own, etc?) and people still found reason to slam these two, make ugly comments about their looks and go on about the two being "parasites."

I have to be missing something. I just don't get it.

If Pss E had had a huge glamourous expensive birthday bash with hundreds of guests and fancy gowns, etc., people would be complaining about that. She has the polar opposite and they're still mean.

What is wrong with people?

:previous:I have to say that I don't "get it" either.:blink: I can't imagine a more wholesome, less expensive way for a young woman to spend her birthday--a treasure hunt on bicycles!!! Fresh air, exercise, good clean fun!!! Yes, they went out for drinks one evening, but it's not like they're not of legal age. And of course it had to be suggested that Sarah didn't pay for her own drinks.

:previous:I have to say that I don't "get it" either.:blink: I can't imagine a more wholesome, less expensive way for a young woman to spend her birthday--a treasure hunt on bicycles!!! Fresh air, exercise, good clean fun!!! Yes, they went out for drinks one evening, but it's not like they're not of legal age. And of course it had to be suggested that Sarah didn't pay for her own drinks.

Haven't you ever disliked or known someone who disliked another person so much, for whatever reason, that they took shots whenever they could?

I agree. This sounds like the perfect low key celebration. There really is no reason to complain or moan abut something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom