The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,601
Cool

The York girls are given more coverage than William for the fact that their parents didn't agree to a press black out for them in school as the Prince of Wales did. Eugenie is different from Zara in the fact that she is Royal and in line to the Throne as all the supporters put as a defense to having police protection as her sister. People write that the Yorks can't get a fair shake from the media, it's articles such as this and Sarah's muck ups that keep the media giving them bad press.
Both girls may go to University, but their courses aren't exactly challenging. I took Art History as a filler between my hard science courses.
Off topic, while their European counterparts have taken courses in International Affairs, Political Science etc. and have gone on to Master's Courses the British Royals have never found the time or inclination to take any higher learning seriously.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
The York girls are given more coverage than William for the fact that their parents didn't agree to a press black out for them in school as the Prince of Wales did. Eugenie is different from Zara in the fact that she is Royal and in line to the Throne as all the supporters put as a defense to having police protection as her sister. People write that the Yorks can't get a fair shake from the media, it's articles such as this and Sarah's muck ups that keep the media giving them bad press.
Both girls may go to University, but their courses aren't exactly challenging. I took Art History as a filler between my hard science courses.
Off topic, while their European counterparts have taken courses in International Affairs, Political Science etc. and have gone on to Master's Courses the British Royals have never found the time or inclination to take any higher learning seriously.

Do you really think that the press would have agreed to give the York girls any slack if Andrew asked? I don't.

Charles was able to ask in the time immediately after Diana's death and the press agreed due to the boys having suffered the death of their mother.

Just because you found Art History relatively easy isn't the case for everyone.

I have both a BA and MA in History and they were all hard work and extremely challenging for me. Science bored me to tears to the point that I didn't even do any for my final two years at school but it annoys me no end, as an historian, and as a History teacher, when people put down humanities degress over science ones. When I look at my students over the years it amazes me how many of the science kids can't do humanities - mainly because they don't have a brain that works that way. Just as I can't do science they can't do history. I respect people who can do the sciences but find that they don't tend to have the same respect for people who are humanitarian based in their outlook.

The BRF don't do more that basic degrees because they know that they don't need all the rest to be good constitutional monarchs afterall the present monarch never went to school let alone uni and she has done a good job for nearly 60 years. Experience counts for way more than a university education to do that job. The Queen has trained Charles and is training William and Harry to do the job. They don't need any more. No amount of degrees will prepare you to do a job that only one person in the country is currently doing and no one else can do at the same time. Each country is different and the roles of their monarchs are different so one person does the job and the next person knows who they are just not when they will get to do that job. Therefore only one person can truly train them to do the job and that is the current performer of that job.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,242
Absolutely, Iluvbertie. As you said, what works for one monarchy doesn't work for another. I'd much rather have a monarch who's dutiful and dedicated than have one with lots of higher education who doesn't know how to deal with people or do the job properly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Therefore only one person can truly train them to do the job and that is the current performer of that job.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 AM
Wisteria's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Posts: 632
I am sure that if the Queen asked the papers to leave the Yorks alone they would.
That is if their mother co-operated and continued to behave herself as she seems to be doing now. They, of course, would then be able to dispense with their bodyguards which seems to be the main area of attack in the British Press (well some of it).
It is true that the monarch in Britain doesnīt need a great university education to be a good constitutional monarch, luckily for them they have a government and advisers who are indeed highly educated.
As to history, even Queen Mary saw the importance of studying it, she asked Crawfie, the Queen and her sisterīs governess to cut down on maths and give more history.
There was a difference though, she could see that unless a minor miracle happened the then Princess Elizabeth would be Queen, and she was wise enough to realise that the British monarch is always surrounded by highly educated advisers and government.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I am sure that if the Queen asked the papers to leave the Yorks alone they would.

As they didn't leave Diana alone when asked by the Queen in 1981 I don't think they would take any notice now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As they didn't leave Diana alone when asked by the Queen in 1981 I don't think they would take any notice now.
I was going to say the same thing. She called in several editors and asked for space for the new (pregnant) princess...we all know that didn't happen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Its like iluvbertie mentioned, the Yorks girls are simply doing a little of what their cousins did at the same age and yet they are viscerated in a way that the Zara and the Wales boys haven't been. I don't even think Marina Mowatt was raked over the coals this bad. Peter was somewhat boring compared to his cousins if I remember. Now its a not a fair comparison due to the York's position in the Line of Sucession vs Marina and Zara who had no titles and are further done. Plus the lack of police protection for Marina and Zara but still its a bit much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Yes, the solution is very simple. No title, live the life she wants to, no more embarassment at being a princess and no body guards. Have fun fun fun without the horrible thought of having to do royal duty.
Lack of title won't change anything.

The Wales boys are Diana's sons, that's how they're preferably viewed. William the handsome future king with the unfortunate social climber of a girlfriend and Harry the tough as nails war vet.

Zara is the title less, champion horse riding daughter of the hard working Princess Royal and Captain Mark Phillips, a gold medal winning Olympic athlete and the sister of an employee of the RBS in Hong Kong.

Beatrice and Eugenie are "Airmiles Andy" and the "Duchess of Pork's" daughters, until they've taken their place amongst the royals and begin doing duties they will get slated for every little thing because their parents are so loathed as wastes of space and as such will be labeled similarly for anything remotely resembling bad behavior.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Lack of title won't change anything].

The Wales boys are Diana's sons, that's how they're preferably viewed. William the handsome future king with the unfortunate social climber of a girlfriend and Harry the tough as nails war vet.

Zara is the title less, champion horse riding daughter of the hard working Princess Royal and Captain Mark Phillips, a gold medal winning Olympic athlete and the sister of an employee of the RBS in Hong Kong.

Beatrice and Eugenie are "Airmiles Andy" and the "Duchess of Pork's" daughters, until they've taken their place amongst the royals and begin doing duties they will get slated for every little thing because their parents are so loathed as wastes of space and as such will be labeled similarly for anything remotely resembling bad behavior.
Very SAD and very TRUE.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Duchessmary's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, United States
Posts: 1,095
That's kind of cruel.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
That's kind of cruel.
Why is it cruel? Unfortunately, it is reality. The Princesses ought to be well aware that their every move is documented and commented upon. Or do they not care that their piggie faces from Facebook are splashed all over the Daily Mail?
__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,981
As I have said in other threads, Andrew's children need to tone it down or they will be part of the Monarchy's problems going forward. Either be a princess or don't be a princess. They do not impress me at all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 09-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
William and Harry were never told to "tone it down" when they were Beatrice and Eugenie's age.
They did hardly any royals duties, the partied night after night, William might have gone to Uni but Harry didn't.

Like silver_bic said, William and Harry have a kind of "allowance" because they were Diana's sons. Eugenie and Beatrice shouldn't be treated in such a harsh way because of the actions of their parents.

Eugenie was being her own age, she goes to university, she's working hard, she's doing royal work with her father and grandparents. What else are they suppose to do?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

Eugenie was being her own age, she goes to university, she's working hard, she's doing royal work with her father and grandparents. What else are they suppose to do?
Something other than post piggie faces on Facebook perhaps??
__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 09-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
Well she didn't post them on facebook did she?
Even without being on a public networking site i'm pretty sure the DM would have found a way of getting them.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Wisteria's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Something other than post piggie faces on Facebook perhaps??
How true, if they must be silly girls then let them do it in private and not for the whole world to see. For the very reason of being the offspring of their parents makes it even more important for them to show that they have some substance.
Unfortunately they havenīt shown any yet. As for Eugenie working hard with her royal dutes with her father and grandparents, where is that to be seen?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 09-28-2010, 02:55 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,981
Women, generally, don't get as much slack as men. Bertie is willing to give the York girls a pass to the age when William and Harry take Royal duties. The way the boys are going, that may never happen.

I guess no one has told the Princesses that they are held to a higher standard, even though neither probably won't get any closer to the throne than they are now.

Someone said earlier that they never acted like that when she was 20...I didn't either or I would have been called on the carpet no matter my age.

If they are going to represent the BRF at any time, they definitely need to attend finishing school, as they are totally unsuited the way they are.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
Princess Eugenie went on a two week tour of Mongolia and China with her father in 2008, she's attended numerous events with her mother quite a few hospital visits, she's attended almost every family oriented event that has been hosted eg Christmas, Easter Events etc.
On her own she opened the Teenage Cancer Trust Unit in Leeds in 2008.

Now compare this to William at Eugenie's age which is 2002, he was at St Andrews falling in love with Kate Middleton and from what I can find doing no Royal events except the obligatory Christmas etc.

When the girls have finished University, i'm pretty sure they will start royal duties as much as they are needed, and no doubt they will be needed when Charles becomes King.

There grandmother is the Queen of the United Kingdom, that is the best finishing school those girls are going to get.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Princess Eugenie went on a two week tour of Mongolia and China with her father in 2008, she's attended numerous events with her mother quite a few hospital visits, she's attended almost every family oriented event that has been hosted eg Christmas, Easter Events etc.
On her own she opened the Teenage Cancer Trust Unit in Leeds in 2008.

Now compare this to William at Eugenie's age which is 2002, he was at St Andrews falling in love with Kate Middleton and from what I can find doing no Royal events except the obligatory Christmas etc.

When the girls have finished University, i'm pretty sure they will start royal duties as much as they are needed, and no doubt they will be needed when Charles becomes King.

There grandmother is the Queen of the United Kingdom, that is the best finishing school those girls are going to get.
You say it well lumutqueen. When Sarah was interviewed on Innerviews she said something along the lines of "they get feet on the ground from me and royal life from Andrew, it's a good mix". If they have the best qualities of both their parents it is a good mix. In the future with the guidance of their Dad and Grandmother they will have a role to play in royal life, and I'm sure they will also be anxious to continue their Mum's work with Children in Crisis.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Princess Eugenie went on a two week tour of Mongolia and China with her father in 2008, she's attended numerous events with her mother quite a few hospital visits, she's attended almost every family oriented event that has been hosted eg Christmas, Easter Events etc.
On her own she opened the Teenage Cancer Trust Unit in Leeds in 2008.

Now compare this to William at Eugenie's age which is 2002, he was at St Andrews falling in love with Kate Middleton and from what I can find doing no Royal events except the obligatory Christmas etc.

When the girls have finished University, i'm pretty sure they will start royal duties as much as they are needed, and no doubt they will be needed when Charles becomes King.

There grandmother is the Queen of the United Kingdom, that is the best finishing school those girls are going to get.
2008 is not 2010.
And I'm surprised Bertie is giving the children as much slack since from the posts I have read I get the impression she would like the monarch abolished. And the way that this princess has acted, I can't say I blame her.
__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Wisteria's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Princess Eugenie went on a two week tour of Mongolia and China with her father in 2008, she's attended numerous events with her mother quite a few hospital visits, she's attended almost every family oriented event that has been hosted eg Christmas, Easter Events etc.
.
Were you talking about this gap year tour?

Princess Eugenie's $200,000 gap year party | Courier Mail

By the way, having Christmas dinner with your grandmother and going to church with her is the same as finishing school?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
princess eugenie


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Eugenie of York 5: October 2008-April 2010 Elspeth Current Events Archive 546 04-23-2010 11:12 AM
Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 12: February 2010 - April 2010 dazzling Archives 422 04-13-2010 04:40 PM
Princess Eugenie of York 4: June-October 2008 Warren Current Events Archive 241 10-30-2008 12:21 AM
Princess Eugenie of York 3: March 2007-June 2008 Avalon Current Events Archive 221 06-18-2008 09:11 AM
Princess Beatrice of York news and pictures 6: January-April 2007 Avalon Current Events Archive 204 05-01-2007 09:15 AM




Popular Tags
birth brussels carl philip charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]