The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
One could argue that Zara is more high profile considering her career.

That career was a personal choice. Being HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie wasn't. They hold their titles because of who their father is - a son of the monarch and thus their profile will be higher for a lot longer.

If Zara wasn't a world class sportswoman she wouldn't have much of a profile at all and when she finishes that career she will fade into the background to a large extent.

Beatrice, at least, will be part of the royal family establishment and have some behind the scenes duties to perform over the next at least 22 years. Unless the Queen lives another 22 years Beatrice will be a Counsellor of State and thus will be performing the official role of the monarch on occasions e.g. signing legislation. If William is King in 22 years she will still be serving until there are 2 children over 21 so she is rather more central to the monarchy than Zara.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That career was a personal choice. Being HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie wasn't. They hold their titles because of who their father is - a son of the monarch and thus their profile will be higher for a lot longer.
Zara didn't chose to be a champion horse rider, she became one through hard work.

Quote:
Beatrice, at least, will be part of the royal family establishment and have some behind the scenes duties to perform over the next at least 22 years. Unless the Queen lives another 22 years Beatrice will be a Counsellor of State and thus will be performing the official role of the monarch on occasions e.g. signing legislation. If William is King in 22 years she will still be serving until there are 2 children over 21 so she is rather more central to the monarchy than Zara.
Please provide proof of this.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Administrator

You might want to check out Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

It begins with:

the United Kingdom, Counsellors of State are senior members of the British royal family to whom the Monarch, currently Elizabeth II, delegates certain state functions and powers when she is in another Commonwealth realm, abroad or unavailable for other reasons (such as short-term incapacity or sickness). Any two Counsellors of State may preside over Privy Council meetings, sign state documents or receive the credentials of new ambassadors to the United Kingdom.

Currently, the Counsellors of State are:
  • HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
  • HRH The Prince of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of Cambridge
  • HRH Prince Henry of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of York
----------------------

When the DoE dies, I would imagine that Princess Beatrice of York will take his place, and when the Queen dies and Charles becomes King, Eugenie will than take Charles's place until William has children and they reach 21 and they (Beatrice and Eugenie) will be replaced. Its interesting to note that Edward of Wessex and the Princess Royal were Counsellors until William and Harry of Wales turned the magical age of 21. And in the past, the Gloucesters (Richard and William) and the Kents (Edward and Alexandra) have served as Counsellors.

I read an article about the history of the Spares and one of the sources (can't remember the specific name) indicated that Margaret took her role as a Counsellor very seriously and was hurt when she was replaced, I think she was a Counsellor until Edward turned 21.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Zara didn't chose to be a champion horse rider, she became one through hard work.
She chose to become an equestrienne. She could have chosen to become a school teacher. That she is good at it doesn't take away from the fact that it was her choice to put in the work to become a champion.

Quote:
Please provide proof of this.
The 1937 and 1953 Regency Acts.

Under these Acts the Cousellors of State are the next four adults in the line of succession over 21 and resident in the UK and the consort to the monarch.

At the moment the four that qualify as adult in the line of succession over 21 and resident in the UK are Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

When the Queen dies, unless the Queen lives for another 22 years (allowing William and Kate to have their first child next year) Beatrice will serve as a CoS from the Queen's death until that first child reaches 21 as she would be the 4th adult over 21 in the line of succession.

If Charles also died in that 22 year period the Eugenie would serve until there were two children from either William or Harry or even Beatrice over 21.

The fifth CoS at the moment is Philip - as the consort of the monarch. If he dies in the present reign it is possible that he could be replaced but more likely they will simply wait until the Queen dies and then Camilla will also become a CoS as the consort of the monarch.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
You might want to check out Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

It begins with:

the United Kingdom, Counsellors of State are senior members of the British royal family to whom the Monarch, currently Elizabeth II, delegates certain state functions and powers when she is in another Commonwealth realm, abroad or unavailable for other reasons (such as short-term incapacity or sickness). Any two Counsellors of State may preside over Privy Council meetings, sign state documents or receive the credentials of new ambassadors to the United Kingdom.

• HRH The Duke of York
----------------------

When the DoE dies, I would imagine that Princess Beatrice of York will take his place, and when the Queen dies and Charles becomes King, Eugenie will than take Charles's place until William has children and they reach 21 and they (Beatrice and Eugenie) will be replaced. Its interesting to note that Edward of Wessex and the Princess Royal were Counsellors until William and Harry of Wales turned the magical age of 21. And in the past, the Gloucesters (Richard and William) and the Kents (Edward and Alexandra) have served as Counsellors.

I read an article about the history of the Spares and one of the sources (can't remember the specific name) indicated that Margaret took her role as a Counsellor very seriously and was hurt when she was replaced, I think she was a Counsellor until Edward turned 21.

I don't think anyone would replace Philip if he predeceased the Queen as he qualifies as the consort of the monarch and no one else would met that qualification. If they did decide to replace Philip Camilla would be a logical choice as the consort of the heir to the throne.

The present Duke of Gloucester is unique in that he served two periods as a CoS - from when he turned 21 until Charles turned 18 (Charles served from 18 as the heir to the throne) and the others were Margaret, the old Duke of Gloucester and his older brother (he replaced the present Duke of Kent), then his brother died and he had to serve again until he was replaced by Andrew. Margaret served until Edward turned 21 and then Anne was replaced by William and Edward by Harry.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Nobility

The law states who could serve not who will. I'm not saying they can't but considering the talk of taking them out of the loop there's reason to believe that they may not be included in this.

Quote:
She chose to become an equestrienne. She could have chosen to become a school teacher. That she is good at it doesn't take away from the fact that it was her choice to put in the work to become a champion.
Zara has an MBE, is a former World Champion and European gold medalist. Yes, Eugenie is Princess and that would get news but at the moment Zara has the higher profile and, as Eugenie leaves school and tries to find her legs she could find herself out of the spotlight for a number of years.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Commoner

Princess Eugenie: orthopaedic surgeons saved me from curved spine

"The royal said she was now a role model for children with the potentially-disfiguring condition known as scoliosis as she toured the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) with her father the Duke of York..."
Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepdec View Post
Princess Eugenie: orthopaedic surgeons saved me from curved spine

"The royal said she was now a role model for children with the potentially-disfiguring condition known as scoliosis as she toured the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) with her father the Duke of York..."
You know, I completely forgot she had that. Strange how this hasn't been pressed a bit more but maybe they were waiting till she was older.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The law states who could serve not who will. I'm not saying they can't but considering the talk of taking them out of the loop there's reason to believe that they may not be included in this.
You are correct in that it states who is eligible and that only two are needed at any given time but it would take legislation to strip them of the right to be a CoS - that position is automatic even though they may not all serve at any time in their lives e.g. I don't think Philip has ever served as he has always accompanied the Queen on her overseas trips and thus has never been in the country when CoS's are actually serving but that doesn't mean that he isn't a CoS.

Quote:
Zara has an MBE, is a former World Champion and European gold medalist. Yes, Eugenie is Princess and that would get news but at the moment Zara has the higher profile and, as Eugenie leaves school and tries to find her legs she could find herself out of the spotlight for a number of years.
No one is disputing what Zara has achieved. I have simply tried to get through to you that is was her choice to put herself in that position. Beatrice and Eugenie didn't have a choice about being Princesses and thus their profile wasn't their choice, or even their parents' choice. It was a position that they gained simply by being born to a son of the reigning monarch. The later decision by Edward to deny his children that title as children wasn't considered possible in the 1980s.

I hope that both Beatrice and Eugenie gain careers away from the public sphere and have wonderful lives and are only seen at maybe the Trooping the Colour. I also wouldn't be surprised if Charles issues LPs to strip them of the HRH titles in time restricting those with it to the children of the monarch and the children of the heir.

The British public want a smaller royal family and they will get it with these girls going a different route so that in the Queen's grandchildren's generation there will only be the four royals - William, Kate, Harry and spouse.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

http://m.usmag.com/v/CelebNews/Princ...7ecbeaa41abfd7
Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Majesty

Surgeons saved me from having a hunchback, reveals Eugenie | Mail Online

I like the fact that the new wing will be named after her so presumably she will be present when it is opened.

Here is a thought for her - to become Patron of the Scoliosis Society (and Beatrice could do the same with Dyslexia). They have both had health/learning issues as they have been growing up and have come through them well.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

It begins with:

• HRH The Duke of York
----------------------

Please could I provide a little information on this: Counsellors of State will always include The Consort of the Monarch [i.e.] The Duke of Edinburgh, any Dowager Queen [i.e who has been serving as a Counsellor of State in her role as Consort; on the death of her spouse the King, the Dowager Queen does not automatically cease to be a CofS] plus the four adults next in succession (provided they have reached the age of 21.

In my very humble opinion, if I have correctly interpreted the 'signals' that are coming out of BP that the Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are not to 'live a Royal Life', when the DofE dies, even though they are indeed next in line in succession and aged 21, I don't think that they will appoint Beatrice a CofS to replace him. [ in practice, it shouldn't post a problem as there will still be 4 Cs of State.]

This is only my humble opinion though, although I hope that I've got it right regarding CsOS, because it was one of my 'jobs' to keep a list of them, and so I hope I just about understand what we call the 'rsandrs' [rules and regulations]
Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Please could I provide a little information on this: Counsellors of State will always include The Consort of the Monarch [i.e.] The Duke of Edinburgh, any Dowager Queen [i.e who has been serving as a Counsellor of State in her role as Consort; on the death of her spouse the King, the Dowager Queen does not automatically cease to be a CofS] plus the four adults next in succession (provided they have reached the age of 21.

The Act establishing this position was past in 1937 and thus only one Dowager Queen Consort has ever been in the position of being a CoS as Consort and then ceasing to be a Consort. Using that as a precedent it is clear that the Consort does lose that position on the accesion of a new monarch as the Queen Mum wasn't a CoS from 1952 - 1953 when she was re-instated by the 1953 Regency Act.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Commoner

Lady in red Princess Eugenie steals the show

"It's her sister, Princess Beatrice, who has been hitting the headlines with her shrinking figure in recent months. But at Royal Ascot today, Princess Eugenie ensured all eyes were on her in the Royal Enclosure as she showed off her svelte figure in a tight red dress..."

Wow a nice article for once. What happened to the Daily Mail?!?
I think the girl with Eugenie in the 4th picture down is her cousin, Zenouska Mowatt.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Lady in red Princess Eugenie steals the show | Mail Online

"It's her sister, Princess Beatrice, who has been hitting the headlines with her shrinking figure in recent months. But at Royal Ascot today, Princess Eugenie ensured all eyes were on her in the Royal Enclosure as she showed off her svelte figure in a tight red dress..."

Wow a nice article for once. What happened to the Daily Mail?!?
I think the girl with Eugenie in the 4th picture down is her cousin, Zenouska Mowatt.

Regardless of what the DM reporter wrote the anti-Yorks were out in full in the comments - the DM has done its work well in making sure that these girls are seen badly by the public and a few positive articles won't change that.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Nobility

There are a hell of a lot more positive comments than usual. People can separate the girls from their parents, though it is easier when the article doesn't include their parents.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
There are a hell of a lot more positive comments than usual. People can separate the girls from their parents, though it is easier when the article doesn't include their parents.

True - 12 positive comments to 43 negative ones - yes I did count them.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I have a feeling the DM was being sarcastic (I've expressed my thoughts on the too tight dress in another tread)
Old 06-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Heir Apparent

The DM is the master of the back-handed compliment.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Commoner

Wow I just went to reread the article, and it was completely different. The new article does seem very sarcastic and not complimentary at all. I guess they thought the old one was too nice and decided to rewrite it.

Tags
princess eugenie