The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
One could argue that Zara is more high profile considering her career.

That career was a personal choice. Being HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie wasn't. They hold their titles because of who their father is - a son of the monarch and thus their profile will be higher for a lot longer.

If Zara wasn't a world class sportswoman she wouldn't have much of a profile at all and when she finishes that career she will fade into the background to a large extent.

Beatrice, at least, will be part of the royal family establishment and have some behind the scenes duties to perform over the next at least 22 years. Unless the Queen lives another 22 years Beatrice will be a Counsellor of State and thus will be performing the official role of the monarch on occasions e.g. signing legislation. If William is King in 22 years she will still be serving until there are 2 children over 21 so she is rather more central to the monarchy than Zara.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That career was a personal choice. Being HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie wasn't. They hold their titles because of who their father is - a son of the monarch and thus their profile will be higher for a lot longer.
Zara didn't chose to be a champion horse rider, she became one through hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Beatrice, at least, will be part of the royal family establishment and have some behind the scenes duties to perform over the next at least 22 years. Unless the Queen lives another 22 years Beatrice will be a Counsellor of State and thus will be performing the official role of the monarch on occasions e.g. signing legislation. If William is King in 22 years she will still be serving until there are 2 children over 21 so she is rather more central to the monarchy than Zara.
Please provide proof of this.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,196
You might want to check out Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

It begins with:

the United Kingdom, Counsellors of State are senior members of the British royal family to whom the Monarch, currently Elizabeth II, delegates certain state functions and powers when she is in another Commonwealth realm, abroad or unavailable for other reasons (such as short-term incapacity or sickness). Any two Counsellors of State may preside over Privy Council meetings, sign state documents or receive the credentials of new ambassadors to the United Kingdom.




Currently, the Counsellors of State are:
  • HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
  • HRH The Prince of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of Cambridge
  • HRH Prince Henry of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of York
----------------------

When the DoE dies, I would imagine that Princess Beatrice of York will take his place, and when the Queen dies and Charles becomes King, Eugenie will than take Charles's place until William has children and they reach 21 and they (Beatrice and Eugenie) will be replaced. Its interesting to note that Edward of Wessex and the Princess Royal were Counsellors until William and Harry of Wales turned the magical age of 21. And in the past, the Gloucesters (Richard and William) and the Kents (Edward and Alexandra) have served as Counsellors.

I read an article about the history of the Spares and one of the sources (can't remember the specific name) indicated that Margaret took her role as a Counsellor very seriously and was hurt when she was replaced, I think she was a Counsellor until Edward turned 21.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Zara didn't chose to be a champion horse rider, she became one through hard work.
She chose to become an equestrienne. She could have chosen to become a school teacher. That she is good at it doesn't take away from the fact that it was her choice to put in the work to become a champion.



Quote:
Please provide proof of this.
The 1937 and 1953 Regency Acts.

Under these Acts the Cousellors of State are the next four adults in the line of succession over 21 and resident in the UK and the consort to the monarch.

At the moment the four that qualify as adult in the line of succession over 21 and resident in the UK are Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

When the Queen dies, unless the Queen lives for another 22 years (allowing William and Kate to have their first child next year) Beatrice will serve as a CoS from the Queen's death until that first child reaches 21 as she would be the 4th adult over 21 in the line of succession.

If Charles also died in that 22 year period the Eugenie would serve until there were two children from either William or Harry or even Beatrice over 21.

The fifth CoS at the moment is Philip - as the consort of the monarch. If he dies in the present reign it is possible that he could be replaced but more likely they will simply wait until the Queen dies and then Camilla will also become a CoS as the consort of the monarch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
You might want to check out Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

It begins with:

the United Kingdom, Counsellors of State are senior members of the British royal family to whom the Monarch, currently Elizabeth II, delegates certain state functions and powers when she is in another Commonwealth realm, abroad or unavailable for other reasons (such as short-term incapacity or sickness). Any two Counsellors of State may preside over Privy Council meetings, sign state documents or receive the credentials of new ambassadors to the United Kingdom.





Currently, the Counsellors of State are:
  • HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
  • HRH The Prince of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of Cambridge
  • HRH Prince Henry of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of York
----------------------

When the DoE dies, I would imagine that Princess Beatrice of York will take his place, and when the Queen dies and Charles becomes King, Eugenie will than take Charles's place until William has children and they reach 21 and they (Beatrice and Eugenie) will be replaced. Its interesting to note that Edward of Wessex and the Princess Royal were Counsellors until William and Harry of Wales turned the magical age of 21. And in the past, the Gloucesters (Richard and William) and the Kents (Edward and Alexandra) have served as Counsellors.

I read an article about the history of the Spares and one of the sources (can't remember the specific name) indicated that Margaret took her role as a Counsellor very seriously and was hurt when she was replaced, I think she was a Counsellor until Edward turned 21.

I don't think anyone would replace Philip if he predeceased the Queen as he qualifies as the consort of the monarch and no one else would met that qualification. If they did decide to replace Philip Camilla would be a logical choice as the consort of the heir to the throne.

The present Duke of Gloucester is unique in that he served two periods as a CoS - from when he turned 21 until Charles turned 18 (Charles served from 18 as the heir to the throne) and the others were Margaret, the old Duke of Gloucester and his older brother (he replaced the present Duke of Kent), then his brother died and he had to serve again until he was replaced by Andrew. Margaret served until Edward turned 21 and then Anne was replaced by William and Edward by Harry.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
The law states who could serve not who will. I'm not saying they can't but considering the talk of taking them out of the loop there's reason to believe that they may not be included in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She chose to become an equestrienne. She could have chosen to become a school teacher. That she is good at it doesn't take away from the fact that it was her choice to put in the work to become a champion.
Zara has an MBE, is a former World Champion and European gold medalist. Yes, Eugenie is Princess and that would get news but at the moment Zara has the higher profile and, as Eugenie leaves school and tries to find her legs she could find herself out of the spotlight for a number of years.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM
zepdec's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubz, United States
Posts: 21
Princess Eugenie: orthopaedic surgeons saved me from curved spine

"The royal said she was now a role model for children with the potentially-disfiguring condition known as scoliosis as she toured the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) with her father the Duke of York..."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepdec View Post
Princess Eugenie: orthopaedic surgeons saved me from curved spine

"The royal said she was now a role model for children with the potentially-disfiguring condition known as scoliosis as she toured the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) with her father the Duke of York..."
You know, I completely forgot she had that. Strange how this hasn't been pressed a bit more but maybe they were waiting till she was older.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
The law states who could serve not who will. I'm not saying they can't but considering the talk of taking them out of the loop there's reason to believe that they may not be included in this.
You are correct in that it states who is eligible and that only two are needed at any given time but it would take legislation to strip them of the right to be a CoS - that position is automatic even though they may not all serve at any time in their lives e.g. I don't think Philip has ever served as he has always accompanied the Queen on her overseas trips and thus has never been in the country when CoS's are actually serving but that doesn't mean that he isn't a CoS.



Quote:
Zara has an MBE, is a former World Champion and European gold medalist. Yes, Eugenie is Princess and that would get news but at the moment Zara has the higher profile and, as Eugenie leaves school and tries to find her legs she could find herself out of the spotlight for a number of years.
No one is disputing what Zara has achieved. I have simply tried to get through to you that is was her choice to put herself in that position. Beatrice and Eugenie didn't have a choice about being Princesses and thus their profile wasn't their choice, or even their parents' choice. It was a position that they gained simply by being born to a son of the reigning monarch. The later decision by Edward to deny his children that title as children wasn't considered possible in the 1980s.

I hope that both Beatrice and Eugenie gain careers away from the public sphere and have wonderful lives and are only seen at maybe the Trooping the Colour. I also wouldn't be surprised if Charles issues LPs to strip them of the HRH titles in time restricting those with it to the children of the monarch and the children of the heir.

The British public want a smaller royal family and they will get it with these girls going a different route so that in the Queen's grandchildren's generation there will only be the four royals - William, Kate, Harry and spouse.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,844
http://m.usmag.com/v/CelebNews/Princ...7ecbeaa41abfd7
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,495
Surgeons saved me from having a hunchback, reveals Eugenie | Mail Online

I like the fact that the new wing will be named after her so presumably she will be present when it is opened.

Here is a thought for her - to become Patron of the Scoliosis Society (and Beatrice could do the same with Dyslexia). They have both had health/learning issues as they have been growing up and have come through them well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
You might want to check out Counsellor of State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

It begins with:

the United Kingdom, Counsellors of State are senior members of the British royal family to whom the Monarch, currently Elizabeth II, delegates certain state functions and powers when she is in another Commonwealth realm, abroad or unavailable for other reasons (such as short-term incapacity or sickness). Any two Counsellors of State may preside over Privy Council meetings, sign state documents or receive the credentials of new ambassadors to the United Kingdom.









Currently, the Counsellors of State are:
  • HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
  • HRH The Prince of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of Cambridge
  • HRH Prince Henry of Wales
  • HRH The Duke of York
----------------------

When the DoE dies, I would imagine that Princess Beatrice of York will take his place, and when the Queen dies and Charles becomes King, Eugenie will than take Charles's place until William has children and they reach 21 and they (Beatrice and Eugenie) will be replaced. Its interesting to note that Edward of Wessex and the Princess Royal were Counsellors until William and Harry of Wales turned the magical age of 21. And in the past, the Gloucesters (Richard and William) and the Kents (Edward and Alexandra) have served as Counsellors.

I read an article about the history of the Spares and one of the sources (can't remember the specific name) indicated that Margaret took her role as a Counsellor very seriously and was hurt when she was replaced, I think she was a Counsellor until Edward turned 21.

Please could I provide a little information on this: Counsellors of State will always include The Consort of the Monarch [i.e.] The Duke of Edinburgh, any Dowager Queen [i.e who has been serving as a Counsellor of State in her role as Consort; on the death of her spouse the King, the Dowager Queen does not automatically cease to be a CofS] plus the four adults next in succession (provided they have reached the age of 21.

In my very humble opinion, if I have correctly interpreted the 'signals' that are coming out of BP that the Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are not to 'live a Royal Life', when the DofE dies, even though they are indeed next in line in succession and aged 21, I don't think that they will appoint Beatrice a CofS to replace him. [ in practice, it shouldn't post a problem as there will still be 4 Cs of State.]

This is only my humble opinion though, although I hope that I've got it right regarding CsOS, because it was one of my 'jobs' to keep a list of them, and so I hope I just about understand what we call the 'rsandrs' [rules and regulations]
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Please could I provide a little information on this: Counsellors of State will always include The Consort of the Monarch [i.e.] The Duke of Edinburgh, any Dowager Queen [i.e who has been serving as a Counsellor of State in her role as Consort; on the death of her spouse the King, the Dowager Queen does not automatically cease to be a CofS] plus the four adults next in succession (provided they have reached the age of 21.

The Act establishing this position was past in 1937 and thus only one Dowager Queen Consort has ever been in the position of being a CoS as Consort and then ceasing to be a Consort. Using that as a precedent it is clear that the Consort does lose that position on the accesion of a new monarch as the Queen Mum wasn't a CoS from 1952 - 1953 when she was re-instated by the 1953 Regency Act.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM
zepdec's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubz, United States
Posts: 21
Lady in red Princess Eugenie steals the show

"It's her sister, Princess Beatrice, who has been hitting the headlines with her shrinking figure in recent months. But at Royal Ascot today, Princess Eugenie ensured all eyes were on her in the Royal Enclosure as she showed off her svelte figure in a tight red dress..."

Wow a nice article for once. What happened to the Daily Mail?!?
I think the girl with Eugenie in the 4th picture down is her cousin, Zenouska Mowatt.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepdec View Post
Lady in red Princess Eugenie steals the show | Mail Online

"It's her sister, Princess Beatrice, who has been hitting the headlines with her shrinking figure in recent months. But at Royal Ascot today, Princess Eugenie ensured all eyes were on her in the Royal Enclosure as she showed off her svelte figure in a tight red dress..."

Wow a nice article for once. What happened to the Daily Mail?!?
I think the girl with Eugenie in the 4th picture down is her cousin, Zenouska Mowatt.

Regardless of what the DM reporter wrote the anti-Yorks were out in full in the comments - the DM has done its work well in making sure that these girls are seen badly by the public and a few positive articles won't change that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 06-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
There are a hell of a lot more positive comments than usual. People can separate the girls from their parents, though it is easier when the article doesn't include their parents.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
There are a hell of a lot more positive comments than usual. People can separate the girls from their parents, though it is easier when the article doesn't include their parents.

True - 12 positive comments to 43 negative ones - yes I did count them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 06-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepdec View Post
"It's her sister, Princess Beatrice, who has been hitting the headlines with her shrinking figure in recent months. But at Royal Ascot today, Princess Eugenie ensured all eyes were on her in the Royal Enclosure as she showed off her svelte figure in a tight red dress..."
.
I have a feeling the DM was being sarcastic (I've expressed my thoughts on the too tight dress in another tread)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 06-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,189
The DM is the master of the back-handed compliment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 06-19-2011, 12:35 AM
zepdec's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubz, United States
Posts: 21
Wow I just went to reread the article, and it was completely different. The new article does seem very sarcastic and not complimentary at all. I guess they thought the old one was too nice and decided to rewrite it.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
princess eugenie


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Eugenie of York 5: October 2008-April 2010 Elspeth Current Events Archive 546 04-23-2010 11:12 AM
Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 12: February 2010 - April 2010 dazzling Archives 422 04-13-2010 04:40 PM
Princess Eugenie of York 4: June-October 2008 Warren Current Events Archive 241 10-30-2008 12:21 AM
Princess Eugenie of York 3: March 2007-June 2008 Avalon Current Events Archive 221 06-18-2008 09:11 AM
Princess Beatrice of York news and pictures 6: January-April 2007 Avalon Current Events Archive 204 05-01-2007 09:15 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman picture of the month pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]