Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 16: July 2015-June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we just got word that Beatrice just started a job.

Beatrice's only 'crime' is she is the daughter of Andrew and Sarah.
If she was the daughter of Saint Diana, the excuses would be flowing.

She still young, she is just a little girl. She had an unhappy childhood. She witness the breakup of her parents' marriage when she was just a baby. She had a difficult childhood.

She accomplished so much even with her unhappy childhood and her dyslexia.

Princess Beatrice suffered tremendously throughout her young life.
She was just a babe when her grandmother was decapitated.

Princess Beatrice had to endure the rumors that surrounded her parents' marriage and her grandfather's personal life.

She bravely withstood the onslaught against her parents while dealing with all the tragedies she encountered in her short life.

She lost both maternal grandparents through the most tragic of events. She was only eight when her grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer and just two years later she lost her grandmother in a horrific accident.

Throughout her young tragic life, she has maintained a devoted commitment to her charity work through the strong influence of her mother.

She was visiting AIDs patients in Russia and U.K. when she was just fourteen.

She ran a marathon in support of her charity.

The Princess was never work shy, she worked as a sales associate in a department store while attending university.

She was a diligent student who balanced her charity work and education. She was an example of a focused young woman who accomplished so much in her young life.

I think we just got word that Beatrice just started a job.

What job is that?

The last I heard was that she was supposed to begin a job in NYC, but that rumor was months and months ago.
I haven't heard anything since.

I'm rather late to the discussion here so forgive me if I rehash old arguments but in my opinion, Princess Beatrice has been set up to fail by her father. Likewise with her sister.

Whilst the Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessex accepted the limited role their children would play in the future makeup of the Royal Family (and by limited, I mean....none at all!), the Duke of York seems to have been a little bombastic in demanding that his daughters have the full royal kit and kaboodle. I don't doubt that Beatrice and Eugenie would love a role akin to that of the Princess Royal but realistically, it was never going to happen and I'm surprised that this situation was overlooked just to appease certain sensitivities within the Royal Family.

I think we all read the rumours that Prince Andrew was offended by the Diamond Jubilee balcony appearance but in that one move, the Queen was making a very public statement about the future of the Royal Family. I can't help but feel that both Beatrice and Eugenie should follow the example of Lady Patricia Ramsay and when the time comes for them to get married, they should give up their royal titles and styles. The expectation on them to carry out public engagements would be dropped and it would allow them the privacy they seem to want. The Duke of York won't be happy about it but I fear he's lost the right to be offended by anything over recent years.

Last edited:
What job is that?

The last I heard was that she was supposed to begin a job in NYC, but that rumor was months and months ago.
I haven't heard anything since.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Aug 7
Beatrice finally started work at a private equity firm in NY last month, eight months after quitting her last job.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Aug 7 Lambeth, London
Princess Beatrice started a job in NY three weeks ago, it can be revealed, but has already jetted off on holiday....

So I gather from that, she have a job.

They are princesses by right as granddaughters of the male line whether they are working royals or not.

They are princesses by right as granddaughters of the male line whether they are working royals or not.

This is true but I tend to think that (especially these days), we Brits expect a Princess to be a fully fledged ribbon cutting princess - or else they're not worth the money!

Nobody can object to Beatrice having a private life and we can't deny that she is wealthy in her own right but things have changed and we're more alert to our MPs and other public figures perhaps using their positions for the wrong reasons. Which isn't to say that Princess Beatrice has done this but just because she was born with the right to be a Princess, doesn't mean it was the right move to exercise that right. When people expect more for less, it's hard to justify why Beatrice is an HRH who appears to do very little and Zara isn't an HRH but who appears to have done a swell job of building a life for herself outside of the royal family.

Maybe it's apples and oranges but that's the most common opinion I tend to hear. It isn't that she shouldn't legally be a princess, it's that socially (for want of a better word), it maybe wasn't the wisest move Andrew and Sarah made.

Sarah and Andrew showed astonishing shortsightednes and not a little arrogance in blithely raising the girls in expectation and hope of being full time senior royals with no expectation of working full time as such. Now Beatrice can and will never have that but has no preparation or goal or ambition otherwise that we can tell. So she plays.

Eugenie has adapted but they did Beatrice a big disservice

Sarah and Andrew showed astonishing shortsightednes and not a little arrogance in blithely raising the girls in expectation and hope of being full time senior royals with no expectation of working full time as such. Now Beatrice can and will never have that but has no preparation or goal or ambition otherwise that we can tell. So she plays.

Eugenia has adapted but they did Beatrice a big disservice

I did think there'd been a change when Beatrice began to accompany the Queen on certain engagements and take on a few duties. I agree with you entirely, it seems very unfair to Beatrice and she has been set up to fail.

i also think the Queen who usually has decent common sense and is pretty press savvy indulged her favorite Andrew and by consequences his daughters were looked at with granny eyes and the girls got overly petted.

It seem some people ignore the ability of technology.

Princess Beatrice can take classes from any university in the world while sitting on a yacht.

She can perform most 'desk' jobs while sitting next to a swimming pool in the Caribbean.

OMG Who really does that? What 20 something who is not incredibly focussed and on a hot shot career course, I mean.

Last edited:
Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Aug 7
Beatrice finally started work at a private equity firm in NY last month, eight months after quitting her last job.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Aug 7 Lambeth, London
Princess Beatrice started a job in NY three weeks ago, it can be revealed, but has already jetted off on holiday....

So I gather from that, she have a job.

There's no other mention of such a job anywhere, so perhaps that source isn't reliable.

There's no other mention of such a job anywhere, so perhaps that source isn't reliable.

We shall see. I doubt Rebecca would say that without proof. It would serve her and other journalist well at DM to write about Beatrice not having a job and taking tons of vacations. Despite some peoples attitude towards Andrew & Sarah, they've raised their daughters pretty well and encourage them to do well in the careers of their choice. They didn't raise two lazy and spoiled princesses. No doubt they have a privileged life, that's expected.

Last edited:
I think Bea may like her position she has now as a"civilian', she isn't a working royal, so she can have her life , her charity/hospice work, her support for education and occasional duty. and of course there are lots of times she is at family events unofficially. She has her inheritance and dave where she does not need to work.

Although the tabloids seem to like to put pressures on her as if she was a peer of the monarchy, people seem to forget she isn't one despite her title. With all that said I think she was raised exactly like PH & W to have duty to her country and when she does her occasional duty she seems well groomed for it, especially with charity . and why wouldn't she have be raised this way? She is a granddaughter to the reigning monarchy and will always have a link to the british royal family.

It's a shame if PC missed out on her potential in that regard if the rumors are true about him sliming down the monarchy. Wether PC slims down the working royal or not doesn't matter since the older generation of working royals will eventually thin out.Let's face it, the older generation won't live forever and harry and his maybe wife can't do everything since they will most likely pick up C&W slack.. he can't do it all by himself.....

I don't know nothing ever was confirmed with PC and the sliming down monarchy thing, nothing ever came from his mouth, it's always hearsay. For all we know she could be promised something down the road byPC and HM. she seems to have represented HM more recently. Why allow her to be at garden parties officially if she was never been to one before 2013, wouldn't it have been to have never allow her to go to one officially if she was never going to be part of the ''working firm .'' Why do they allow her to work the occasional duty on behalf of HM and the DOY, if she wasn't promised something?

We just don't know what she's up to concerning personal life and duties, we just don't really know her, we only know what tabloids say and they aren't even that reliable.

Last edited:
What move was that? Having daughters? As another person posted, their children would have been princes or princesses of York no matter what. Had the York scandals not happened, perhaps Beatrice would be a full-time royal by now. I can remember the late 80s and the 90s so clearly. Those years made people question the point of a Royal Family a lot and I think set the tone for the emergence of a scaled-down monarchy.

Maybe it's apples and oranges but that's the most common opinion I tend to hear. It isn't that she shouldn't legally be a princess, it's that socially (for want of a better word), it maybe wasn't the wisest move Andrew and Sarah made.

What move was that? Having daughters? As another person posted, their children would have been princes or princesses of York no matter what. Had the York scandals not happened, perhaps Beatrice would be a full-time royal by now. I can remember the late 80s and the 90s so clearly. Those years made people question the point of a Royal Family a lot and I think set the tone for the emergence of a scaled-down monarchy.

The move I meant was that they insisted on Beatrice and Eugenie being royal highnesses and princesses. Whilst they were perfectly entitled as granddaughters of the sovereign in the male line to the title, there never seems to have been a concerted effort to find them a role. If we look at Prince Edward's children, he was aware that Louise and James would never have a real role and whilst entitled to being HRH Princess Louise and HRH Prince James, Edward and Sophie elected to take lesser titles for their children and to give them a "normal" upbringing, that is, with no expectation that they'd take on a full diary of royal engagements.

I have to say, I think it's a shame that Beatrice doesn't carry out more engagements and hasn't had the opportunity to take on a role as a full time working member of the Royal Family. On the few engagements she has carried out, she's done them with style. But realistically, the Royal Family has to slim down and that does mean letting go. Whilst we may understand the difference between a working Princess and a Princess who enjoys the title as a courtesy, the majority of people perhaps do not. They see Beatrice living a lifestyle that she hasn't earned in the same way as her cousins seem to have. This is (I think) the reason there's been calls to slim the Royal Family down.

But duchesschicana is correct, there's never been an official confirmation that the 'slim down' is happening. I believe it's because the Queen has opted to allow an organic process whereby her eldest son and his family step into the front line a little more. Her cousins are now reaching an age where they could retire if they wished or at least cut back on their duties. But why ask Princess Beatrice to take on say, the Duchess of Gloucester's duties, when the Duchess of Cambridge could do them?

^The DOC is probably to "busy" taking care of her family, it's clear where her first priorities are and nothing wrong with that, but it's clear the DOC lives a secluded life as a mom first and 2'nd the DOC, with minimal duties, if she can help it.

Last edited:
We shall see. I doubt Rebecca would say that without proof. It would serve her and other journalist well at DM to write about Beatrice not having a job and taking tons of vacations. Despite some peoples attitude towards Andrew & Sarah, they've raised their daughters pretty well and encourage them to do well in the careers of their choice. They didn't raise two lazy and spoiled princesses. No doubt they have a privileged life, that's expected.

If Beatrice was in NYC, we would know. It was widely reported when Eugenie took a job there.

^The DOC is probably to "busy" taking care of her family, it's clear where her first priorities are and nothing wrong with that, but it's clear the DOC lives a secluded life with minimal duties, if she can help it.

Which in itself is wrong IMO. Crown Princess Mary managed to carry out a full diary and raise her children and let's face it, the Danish Royal Family is smaller than the British one. But maybe that's why? I think it would fine if someone had explained to Princess Beatrice that she would be 'of use' until William and Kate's children were old enough to take on duties of their own but it's this 'stop and start' that seems a tad unfair. She was allowed to do a few engagements but then suddenly, it was taken away.

It may have something to do with Andrew's scandals but which member of the Royal Family has been free from the odd newspaper calamity?

Princess Mary is the Crown Princess, and the DoC is one generation down from that. At the time Beatrice and Eugenie were born, there wasn't any reason to think they wouldn't be doing royal duties at some time, because such was the case in the previous generation. Prince Charles's cousins didn't do royal engagements; but then, they didn't inherit royal titles from their mother, Princess Margaret. All the Queen's cousins who were descended from her uncles did royal engagements of some kind, and I think that there was probably an expectation in 1988 and 1990 that the York Princesses would help their Wales cousins as adults. I don't think it was necessarily only Andrew and Sarah who thought this, because Edward's marriage was far in the future, and Anne's children didn't have titles. When the Wales' and Yorks' marriages imploded, the way the Royal Family was seen changed dramatically. Edward and Sophie married and had their children in the new reality. The Wessexes didn't intend to do royal engagements themselves when they married. They planned to work for their living, and so why would they expect their children to be any different? There's really a whole generation's difference between the York princesses and the Wessex children in terms of the culture around them. People see the Royal Family very differently now than they did in the 80s. It's a much more utilitarian view. It's as though they're expected to prove themselves worthy of their titles, rather than have them as a birthright. It's a very different mindset. It's kind of like a child having to prove themselves worthy of inheriting their mother's silverware, but on a grand scale.

Last edited:
Princess Mary is the Crown Princess, and the DoC is one generation down from that. At the time Beatrice and Eugenie were born, there wasn't any reason to think they wouldn't be doing royal duties at some time, because such was the case in the previous generation. Prince Charles's cousins didn't do royal engagements; but then, they didn't inherit royal titles from their mother, Princess Margaret. All the Queen's cousins who were descended from her uncles did royal engagements of some kind, and I think that there was probably an expectation in 1988 and 1990 that the York Princesses would help their Wales cousins as adults. I don't think it was necessarily only Andrew and Sarah who thought this, because Edward's marriage was far in the future, and Anne's children didn't have titles. When the Wales' and Yorks' marriages imploded, the way the Royal Family was seen changed dramatically. Edward and Sophie married and had their children in the new reality. The Wessexes didn't intend to do royal engagements themselves when they married. They planned to work for their living, and so why would they expect their children to be any different? There's really a whole generation's difference between the York princesses and the Wessex children in terms of the culture around them. People see the Royal Family very differently now than they did in the 80s. It's a much more utilitarian view. It's as though they're expected to prove themselves worthy of their titles, rather than have them as a birthright. It's a very different mindset. It's kind of like a child having to prove themselves worthy of inheriting their mother's silverware, but on a grand scale.

Surely if Crown Princess Mary is "next in line" as it were, she has even less time? So to pull off the raising of small children and fill a diary is quite impressive. But the point I wanted to make was, the Duchess of Cambridge has the time to take on any new patronages or engagements that came up. That's what we expect of her because she has a very important role to play in the future. If Princess Beatrice's role had been made clear, nobody would mind her jet set lifestyle. We bore it with Princess Margaret because she did complete engagements and thereby, 'paid her dues' as it were.

You're spot on with what you say, they are now expected to prove themselves worthy of their titles which is what modern monarchy is all about. And I think it's less about titles than it is about wealth. Beatrice doesn't need to work. Realistically, she'll never have financial woes. But to be seen to be doing something practical that is worthy of her privilege, that is rather important IMO if she wants to avoid further criticism. That isn't such a modern idea come to think of it. It was always the way that with great wealth came great responsibility. Her responsibility may be limited on the royal front but there's alot more she could do.

If Beatrice was in NYC, we would know. It was widely reported when Eugenie took a job there.

Then why Rebecca tweeted that Beatrice started her new job "three weeks ago" along with an update on her vacation? We really don't see much of them in New York, unless the paps spot them. I guess we shall see at some point.

Last edited:
Then why Rebecca tweeted that Beatrice started her new job "three weeks ago"? We really don't see much of them in New York, unless the paps spot them. I guess we shall see at some point.

Its very possible too that the firm in NYC that Beatrice is working for has a London office or even that she's working for them remotely by computer.

I can't believe that a previous poster described a 27 year old woman as a 'little girl'. I am not sure that Louise, aged 11, even fits that description any more.

When the York girls were born there was celebration at the birth of new princesses into the family - the first since Anne in 1950 and there was no suggestion or discussion that they wouldn't have their style of Princess.

I suspect that the intention originally was that they would work like Princess Alexandra and the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent - the first-cousins of the Queen - but that things changed over time and now the expectation is more like Prince Michael of Kent so the occasional Garden Party (or Afternoon Party as those at BP are now termed) or other 'all family' events including, in time, State Banquets, but not the visits and openings and military appointments etc.

When this decision was made and conveyed to the girls is a question I would love to see an answer to as I suspect that that is the issue - were they told as they were choosing subjects at school, planning for their university courses or, in Beatrice's case certainly, after she left university or never.

This is something that always troubled me. I hope Beatrice and Eugenie were not led into a false sense of security as late as choosing their A Levels because that would have been terribly mean.

We really don't know how busy the DoC is behind the scenes, and this discussion isn't about her.

When 'push comes to shove'; i.e. when Charles becomes King, his cousins-once-removed become too elderly to do many duties, and William and Catherine's children are still in school, I think that Princess Beatrice and perhaps Princess Eugenie will be needed more than seems now.:flowers:

Surely if Crown Princess Mary is "next in line" as it were, she has even less time? So to pull off the raising of small children and fill a diary is quite impressive.

Is it possible that Beatrice has severe dyslexia preventing her from working normal type jobs.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom