The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Beatrice actually lives in an apartment in St James' for a large part of the year - not with her father at all but in the heart of London. Obviously when she is at Windsor, Sandringham or Balmoral she is with her extended family but for the most part it is in the St James' apartment she has had since she started uni.
I know it was reported a couple of years ago that Prince Andrew had begun paying rent on the St. James apartment used by Beatrice and Eugenie. As for whether Beatrice spends most of her time there or at Windsor when not working I've not read any info.. Does Dave have a residence in London?

Old 08-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Financially Beatrice and Eugenie should be in exactly the same position as Zara and Peter as their sources of trusts are exactly the same (B & E may have their small divorce trust as well - although Sarah has said they have supported her.) Of the Queen's adult grandchildren:

Peter - continually employed for years.
Zara - equestrian career supported by advertising endorsements.
William - full time military followed by air ambulance
Harry - 10 years military transitioning into a new role.
Eugenie - full time employment from Uni graduation to present
Beatrice - 6+ years post Uni, 2 jobs neither for more than a year (Cabot Square and Sony.)
Beatrice left university in 2011. That would make it 4 years ago.

Some people have a double standard.

When her cousins are transitioning from one career to another that is ignored or praised but when Beatrice does it she is trashed.

William's left the military in September of 2013, he did not began his new job until July of 2015.

That is nearly two years.

Harry had multiple career changes while in the military.

Harry, in all intents and purposes, left the military after qualifying as an Apache aircraft commander in July 2013.

He wasted this training and started training for his trek across the Antarctic.

Harry in now on a glorified African safari.

In five year, Peter Philips worked for three different companies.
How many 'gap months' did he have since he graduated in 2000?

We really do not know if Beatrice was taking classes when she was not working.

Again there is such a thing as the internet.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Beatrice left university in 2011. That would make it 4 years ago.

Some people have a double standard.

When her cousins are transitioning from one career to another that is ignored or praised but when Beatrice does it she is trashed.
Oops, my mistake - it has been 4 years, not 6. I was going based on her age and forgot about the gap year before Uni that many take, thus Beatrice was a bit older than some when she graduated.
My recollection is that William did take a lot of heat for the 'transition' year before he began training for the new job, so I do't really see a double standard being applied. Eugenie and Peter have both left jobs for other jobs, but because there were no wide gaps like w/ Beatrice people judge their choices differently, IMO. To me it's not so much a double standard, but that different grandchildren of the monarch receive different criticism based on their choices.
If Beatrice were being singled out just because of her parents, then so would Eugenie - yet Eugenie is not subjected to all that criticism, so IMO, it's about choices and when any of the grandchildren make a choice the press is wont to criticize if there's any traction w/ the public in doing so. Zara gets her share for her 'sponsorships' and her appearance and Mike's conduct, she doesn't get so much about excessive holidays or career because she doesn't provide any fuel for that fire. Beatrice takes more holidays than anyone else or she's papped doing so, so she provides fuel. If Willam and Catherine or Peter and Autumn holidayed as often as Beatrice does they'd be garnering the same headlines that she does, IMO.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My recollection is that William did take a lot of heat for the 'transition' year before he began training for the new job, so I do't really see a double standard being applied. Eugenie and Peter have both left jobs for other jobs, but because there were no wide gaps like w/ Beatrice people judge their choices differently, IMO. To me it's not so much a double standard, but that different grandchildren of the monarch receive different criticism based on their choices.
You are quite correct. It is regrettable that Beatrice receives criticism for her life choices, but it has been the same (and continues to be from some quarters) the same for her cousins.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Oops, my mistake - it has been 4 years, not 6. I was going based on her age and forgot about the gap year before Uni that many take, thus Beatrice was a bit older than some when she graduated.
Beatrice's first job was when she was 20.

Peter's first job real job was when he graduated from college a few months before he turned 23.

Peter worked on his mother's estate when he was a child of nine. He was working for the 'Menial Task Division Gatcombe'.

1987 age 9
Peter Phillips At The Gatcombe Horse Trials. News Photo | Getty Images

1991 age 13
Peter Phillips at Gatcombe Park Horse Trials, held at Gatcombe Park,... News Photo | Getty Images

William did not enter the military until January 2006.
He was 23 years 6 months.

Beatrice and Peter worked while in school.

William was the one who was bit older before he began working.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

It is time to move the discussion on and get back to the topic of the thread, namely Princess Beatrice of York's current events
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder if the DM will count Bea's trip to india against her? The one for the travels to my elephant race, they probably would, wouldn't put it past them.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Much as I enjoy Beatrice slightly whacky fashion sense and love her wonderful smile, I have no right to judge her for anything. It's not my life, it's hers and, as she is not in receipt of monies from the Civil List, it's none of our damned business either.

All I see is the DMO extending their hate campaign from Andrew to now include Beatrice. Regardless of any good thing either of them do, they will be slated for something, anything and nothing is off limits. It's not nice, it's not pretty, but it is what it is, people who used to like her now hating at the DMO behest.
This is the best comment on PB I have read. I have often seen the hate thrown at PB for having time on vacations. She gets no money from the Civil List and she is a beautiful young lady born into a family that is very prominent and wealthy. She should live her life as she see fit, she has done no wrong in the eyes of the world except to be the person that she is. How sad that there is so much jealousy against this young woman.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:21 AM
Aristocracy

I wonder why the palace does't release a statement telling the DM to back off, of course such a request might backfire and give her more backlash
Old 08-16-2015, 02:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

No point in issuing such a statement.

The press in the UK is a free press and is free to publish.

If the palace don't want the negative publicity then they need to tell Beatrice to stop giving the press the ammunition.

It is Beatrice's fault that the press are going to town on her (not just the DM) because she gives them the ammunition to fire at her by constantly being seen at expensive overseas venues, regardless of who is paying.

She obviously doesn't care about her own PR and nor does BP so why should anyone else. They seem ok with the idea that she is damaging the image of the family with the wider public who see her as a waste of space, along with her parents and sister, and, from my recent trip to London, quite a few have that view of the Cambridge's and Harry as well but to a lesser extent.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:07 AM
Commoner

And what would you and everyone else in this world want her to do? And just who are we or anyone else in this world have the right to be so negative and hostile towards this young woman? She does not do drugs, is not drunk falling down, she is not sleeping through the world of men or women, isn't committing any crime, she has her own life. Her money is her business and I think with all the inheritances she gets which I am sure is wisely invested for the future, so what if some one gives her a free trip, heck I wish someone of that much money would give me a free trip, I'd take regardless of what anyone said. And since when are we here or anywhere been appointed the judge and jury of her life? I know I am not her judge or jury member.....is this because she was born into this family? If so, that is down right cruel. I try to come here and learn about the royals and most of what I see is hateful comments and negative remarks, why?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

You are missing the point - Beatrice is a member of the BRF and is reported negatively in the press due to her actions. That is a reflection on the family. The negativity about her is because she has a position and appears to be doing nothing to enhance that position or her family but rather the press coverage is negative because she is not doing positive things for them to report about and so she is leaving herself open to negative comments.

Many people here are supporters of the family and the negative comments about Beatrice is affecting the overall image of the family.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:35 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe this is where the conundrum is. Beatrice is a blood Princess of the UK and a member of the British Royal Family yet she does not work for or represent the "business" side of the family we fondly call the "Firm".

I would think that if the BRF and BP and anyone else who's input really matters thought that Beatrice's PR is casting negative lights on the family, they would have done something about it long before now.

Beatrice, herself, seems to be caught between a rock and a hard place but she still carries on doing her own thing, in her own time and in her own fashion.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You are missing the point - Beatrice is a member of the BRF and is reported negatively in the press due to her actions. That is a reflection on the family. The negativity about her is because she has a position and appears to be doing nothing to enhance that position or her family but rather the press coverage is negative because she is not doing positive things for them to report about and so she is leaving herself open to negative comments.

Many people here are supporters of the family and the negative comments about Beatrice is affecting the overall image of the family.
Please tell me just what is her position besides being the daughter of, the granddaughter of, being born with a title, being born with hundreds of years of heritage, so please tell what is her JOB description for the family and the world? What does she have to do to make the media and the people of the world approve of her? I still don't get the hostility towards her. Are these comments here a reflection of the press? If so, then why can't some of us make up our own mind instead of taking up where the press left off? Can't we think for ourselves, I know I sure do, as knowing the media all they want is hate, discontent, negativity, and the telling of lies, in fact the media only wants to stir up trouble so that they can make money. So there is pictures of her yachting, lucky girl, wish that were me, yet those pictures tell the whole story and since when does anyone believe the whole story is in a few pictures?

Just a question to put out there, what would we here and in the world do if there was no royal families, whom then could we complain about not being perfect?
Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Lady View Post

Just a question to put out there, what would we here and in the world do if there was no royal families, whom then could we complain about not being perfect?
Justin Bieber?
Old 08-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Justin Bieber?

OH! Good one!
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And what would you and everyone else in this world want her to do?

She could do as her sister does; then much of the criticism would evaporate.

She could do as William does, take on a job and donate her salary to charity.

She could devote herself to a charity in a more committed way instead of making an occasional appearance.

People just want her to do something rather than party and go on holiday. Considering her privileged position in life, I don't think that's too much to expect.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

She is a member of the most famous royal family. She has the title of princess and yes while it has the ability to make important things it does are parties and holidays. At the age of 27 years longer should have come up somewhere. It is the choice of course to do that want like us to comment.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
And what would you and everyone else in this world want her to do? And just who are we or anyone else in this world have the right to be so negative and hostile towards this young woman? She does not do drugs, is not drunk falling down, she is not sleeping through the world of men or women, isn't committing any crime, she has her own life. Her money is her business and I think with all the inheritances she gets which I am sure is wisely invested for the future, so what if some one gives her a free trip, heck I wish someone of that much money would give me a free trip, I'd take regardless of what anyone said. And since when are we here or anywhere been appointed the judge and jury of her life? I know I am not her judge or jury member.....is this because she was born into this family? If so, that is down right cruel. I try to come here and learn about the royals and most of what I see is hateful comments and negative remarks, why?
Irish Lady: I completely agree with you. I do not understand the obvious dislike that some if the posters have for Princess Beatrice. To me it seems like jealousy. Who cares if she spends a lot of time enjoying life. Who says that every person is required to have a job! I come to The Royal Forums to share info about the royals. I really don't understand why anyone comes here to show resentment towards them. We really don't know Princess Beatrice' motivations, but she has a right to live her life as she chooses. I simply can't understand all the hatred for her.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissByrd View Post
Irish Lady: I completely agree with you. I do not understand the obvious dislike that some if the posters have for Princess Beatrice. To me it seems like jealousy. Who cares if she spends a lot of time enjoying life. Who says that every person is required to have a job! I come to The Royal Forums to share info about the royals. I really don't understand why anyone comes here to show resentment towards them. We really don't know Princess Beatrice' motivations, but she has a right to live her life as she chooses. I simply can't understand all the hatred for her.
Irish Lady I have been saddened at some of the comments on her regarding Beatrice. Whilst believing, strongly that she is in a position to do so much good and should do more with that, I don't believe that she or anyone deserves some of what has been written on here. One of my best friends is a Muslim man, who ended up homeless. He turned his life around and is helping others in his professional and personal life to do the same. I am not male, Muslim and have never faced some of the issues he has. It is an unlikely friendship but I thank God for it every day. It has made me a better person and I am a Christian.

Tags
current events, princess beatrice