The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But Princess Beatrice has only a very theoretical chance on ever becoming Queen. With each new offspring by the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Henry she will become more remote from the throne. How far can you go in demanding someone how to live and even going so far to calculate which event exactly you did attend (is that "work" anyway?). Get the lady a life...

Now that'd be the story of the century should Camilla give birth.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Commoner

I don't think PB should be criticized or held accountable for the family that she was born into. She is a nice young lady that is not accountable to anyone on this earth, just because she was born with a title should not make her the subject of that hate and criticism that I see here or elsewhere. She has done no wrong in the eyes of the world, she lives her life the way she sees fit and more power to her. I mean after all she can do NO right nor she can do NO wrong, this poor girl is being ripped apart for what...not working, for working, for having a life, or not having a life, for helping her grandmother, for not helping her grandmother, this sounds so much life someone said, remember Princess Diana. I sure do and that was a very sad way to live.

I hope this young lady goes and has a wonderful birthday and gets lots of love and joy from her family as it should be. JMP and

Old 08-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Now that'd be the story of the century should Camilla give birth.
i think the Duc meant as Wills and Harry have more children, the York girls slip in the order.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Hedonism seems like a rather strong word for taking trips and generally having fun in life, especially in your 20's. Seems normal to me. Everyone I know takes lots of trips here and there and tries to have as much fun as possible. I really don't know why Princess Beatrice needs to be serious, nor why she needs a "job". Some people know who they are and what they want from life at 27. Many do not. I say: let her be and let her find her way.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissByrd View Post
Hedonism seems like a rather strong word for taking trips and generally having fun in life, especially in your 20's. Seems normal to me. Everyone I know takes lots of trips here and there and tries to have as much fun as possible. I really don't know why Princess Beatrice needs to be serious, nor why she needs a "job". Some people know who they are and what they want from life at 27. Many do not. I say: let her be and let her find her way.
She is a very rich young lady, from a very visible and powerful family. None of them do much, except go to venues and cut ribbons and or say something nice. They support charities, and such, but no one has a paying job. They do not work 9-5. Why should she. She is no different. The European Monarchies, have some members who, actually, work for a living, at a real job. Do they need the funds, I doubt it. Prince Constantine lives in Belgium and works, as does his wife. Princess Mabel, lives in London and works.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Most people work because it is the only way they can provide the necessities of life. Can we honestly say that those that put their time and energies into endeavors that don't provide a cash stipend aren't doing "real" work?

Somehow I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that the measure of a person is based on the size of his wallet and "real" work entails being paid for one's time. I guess I'm a pretty worthless person then as I was a stay at home mom and volunteered with Girl Scouts and various other things during my lifetime and now live off a pension and Social Security.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-10-2015, 12:22 AM
Commoner

I think it is pretty sad in today's day and age that some people still think that way. From reading this section about PB, I don't get the fact that if she was out cutting ribbons or whatever then it would be okay for her to be who she is. She is a young lady of a wealthy family, no big deal, she still needs time to find herself. There are thousands of rich young girls out there and I see her being attacked all because of the family that she was born into, it wasn't her choice to be in that family, lucky girl though. Just seeing out and about seems like it would feed the people that want to see her, her clothes, her hair, her hat, her make-up, yet there is more to her then that........let her find her way in life. The media feeds off the discontent of the people and they are the ones that feed the discontent to the people. JAOLO
Old 08-10-2015, 01:01 AM
Serene Highness

She is not a young girl but a full grown woman. And the whole 'let her find herself line ' has gone off a long time ago like a stinky cheese... For petes's sake someone buy her a GPS so she can get on with it! honrstly I think she has found herself alright.... She has found herself on a yacht, she has found herself at the club.... She even found herself at jobs she played at.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:30 AM
Commoner

Just a silly question.......why does she have to work? And for whom? My understanding is that she is not obligated to work, so why work?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

PR

She is a member of the most privileged family in the UK and so for no other reason than PR she needs to be doing something that seems to be valued in society by the British people rather than thumbing her nose and saying 'I am so wealthy I don't have to work'.

She is a public relations disaster for the BRF at the moment and they need good PR for most of the time for most of the family to remain relevant to the nation. Having one child of the present monarch loathed and detested (Andrew) and having one in the next generation already in the same boat isn't what the family needs.

If she can't get a real job then the Queen or Charles need to find her something to do in the royal set up - e.g. a job in the Royal Collection or Royal Archives that would use her degree in History so that she isn't seen as always holidaying and partying.

It might be what other girls of her wealth are able to do but she is the granddaughter of the monarch and PR means their future. Bad PR for a long period of time will turn the public against them and there is already enough feeling about William and Kate - they are either loved or seen as lazy - that the future isn't as rosy as many people would like to think.

The Queen won't do anything - she never does - and by the time Charles is in charge the damage maybe already done.

New babies and a photo or two every six months or so can only go so far. Having two people as close to the throne as Andrew and Beatrice who are not respected isn't doing the family any good.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
PR

If she can't get a real job then the Queen or Charles need to find her something to do in the royal set up - e.g. a job in the Royal Collection or Royal Archives that would use her degree in History so that she isn't seen as always holidaying and partying.

Exactly!

This is precisely why I said that perhaps Beatrice is being deliberately self-indulgent, in an attempt to force Charles' hand into allowing her to officially represent the RF.

Right now there is much ill-will building up, and I think perhaps Charles may intervene. I know he isn't truly in charge yet, but it's been said the Queen is ceding him control more frequently lately.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think we just got word that Beatrice just started a job.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Royal Highness

Beatrice's only 'crime' is she is the daughter of Andrew and Sarah.
If she was the daughter of Saint Diana, the excuses would be flowing.

She still young, she is just a little girl. She had an unhappy childhood. She witness the breakup of her parents' marriage when she was just a baby. She had a difficult childhood.

She accomplished so much even with her unhappy childhood and her dyslexia.

Princess Beatrice suffered tremendously throughout her young life.
She was just a babe when her grandmother was decapitated.

Princess Beatrice had to endure the rumors that surrounded her parents' marriage and her grandfather's personal life.

She bravely withstood the onslaught against her parents while dealing with all the tragedies she encountered in her short life.

She lost both maternal grandparents through the most tragic of events. She was only eight when her grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer and just two years later she lost her grandmother in a horrific accident.

Throughout her young tragic life, she has maintained a devoted commitment to her charity work through the strong influence of her mother.

She was visiting AIDs patients in Russia and U.K. when she was just fourteen.

She ran a marathon in support of her charity.

The Princess was never work shy, she worked as a sales associate in a department store while attending university.

She was a diligent student who balanced her charity work and education. She was an example of a focused young woman who accomplished so much in her young life.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think we just got word that Beatrice just started a job.

What job is that?

The last I heard was that she was supposed to begin a job in NYC, but that rumor was months and months ago.
I haven't heard anything since.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:34 PM
Commoner

I'm rather late to the discussion here so forgive me if I rehash old arguments but in my opinion, Princess Beatrice has been set up to fail by her father. Likewise with her sister.

Whilst the Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessex accepted the limited role their children would play in the future makeup of the Royal Family (and by limited, I mean....none at all!), the Duke of York seems to have been a little bombastic in demanding that his daughters have the full royal kit and kaboodle. I don't doubt that Beatrice and Eugenie would love a role akin to that of the Princess Royal but realistically, it was never going to happen and I'm surprised that this situation was overlooked just to appease certain sensitivities within the Royal Family.

I think we all read the rumours that Prince Andrew was offended by the Diamond Jubilee balcony appearance but in that one move, the Queen was making a very public statement about the future of the Royal Family. I can't help but feel that both Beatrice and Eugenie should follow the example of Lady Patricia Ramsay and when the time comes for them to get married, they should give up their royal titles and styles. The expectation on them to carry out public engagements would be dropped and it would allow them the privacy they seem to want. The Duke of York won't be happy about it but I fear he's lost the right to be offended by anything over recent years.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What job is that?

The last I heard was that she was supposed to begin a job in NYC, but that rumor was months and months ago.
I haven't heard anything since.
Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Aug 7
Beatrice finally started work at a private equity firm in NY last month, eight months after quitting her last job.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Aug 7 Lambeth, London
Princess Beatrice started a job in NY three weeks ago, it can be revealed, but has already jetted off on holiday....

So I gather from that, she have a job.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Serene Highness

They are princesses by right as granddaughters of the male line whether they are working royals or not.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
They are princesses by right as granddaughters of the male line whether they are working royals or not.
This is true but I tend to think that (especially these days), we Brits expect a Princess to be a fully fledged ribbon cutting princess - or else they're not worth the money!

Nobody can object to Beatrice having a private life and we can't deny that she is wealthy in her own right but things have changed and we're more alert to our MPs and other public figures perhaps using their positions for the wrong reasons. Which isn't to say that Princess Beatrice has done this but just because she was born with the right to be a Princess, doesn't mean it was the right move to exercise that right. When people expect more for less, it's hard to justify why Beatrice is an HRH who appears to do very little and Zara isn't an HRH but who appears to have done a swell job of building a life for herself outside of the royal family.

Maybe it's apples and oranges but that's the most common opinion I tend to hear. It isn't that she shouldn't legally be a princess, it's that socially (for want of a better word), it maybe wasn't the wisest move Andrew and Sarah made.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
wasn't the wisest move Andrew and Sarah made
I for one can't think of a single wise one TBH.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I for one can't think of a single wise one TBH.
I was of the same mind when writing that!

Tags
current events, princess beatrice