The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Ten-year romance is all over for sad Beatrice: Princess and her boyfriend Dave Clark call it quits after 'make or break' talks over whether or not they should get married* | Daily Mail Online

>Princess Beatrice, 27, has ended her 10-year relationship with Dave Clark
>Royal Family members are said to be 'shocked' that the couple have split
>They are said to have held 'make or break' talks about getting married
>A source said the pair remain friends and added it was a mutual decision

Once there were high hopes their fairy-tale romance would give the nation another Royal Wedding to celebrate.
But The Mail on Sunday can reveal that Princess Beatrice has ended her relationship with long-term boyfriend Dave Clark.
Members of the Royal Family are said to be 'shocked and saddened' by the news that Beatrice, the Duke of York's eldest daughter, and her boyfriend of ten years have parted.
I understand the couple quietly called time on their romance a month ago after the failure of long and exasperated 'make or break' talks – centred on whether or not they should get married. A source close to Beatrice, 27, told The Mail on Sunday last night: 'After ten years together, Beatrice and Dave had to wonder why they were not married.
'They talked it through and decided to take time apart to reflect on the future. They remain friends and the decision to break up was mutual.'
Beatrice's family, including sister Princess Eugenie and parents Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew, are said to be 'completely shocked' by the news. Sarah, the Duchess of York, in particular is said to feel as though she has lost a son.

I personally thought they would be the most likely royals to marry next.
I wonder what Beatrice will do now, I always got the impression that Beatrice moved to NY for him. Maybe now she will hold down a job for longer, maybe she put him and his career ahead of hers in the past.
I'm taking a wait and see approach. The DM has fabricated several break-up stories in the past, only to then backtrack. It already sounds like the DM is hedging their bets, "They talked it through and decided to take time apart to reflect on the future."

As for what you said at the end, I agree. I do think she moved to NYC for him. She always seemed to make him a top priority. When she was 18, she spent most of her gap year in London so she could be close to Dave. Then it was said she wanted a London based University so she could be close to Dave. Also she was always publicly involved with the Bransons when Dave worked for them.

If she is indeed single, big if, I wonder who she will date next. I hope she doesn't go back to the bad boys, like her two boyfriends before Dave.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Courtier

Interesting, the DM states she remains in New York working for friends who have a 'consultancy' - whatever that is. I'd assume if they were truly apart and her New York position ended then she'd want to be home with her family.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Aristocracy

If true very tough, Bea was only 17 or 18 when they started going out. I hope the media leave her alone over this.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

One have to wonder how true it is when the couple just happily vacationed together. It's a slow Royal news month, so we need to get a confirmation on it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Majesty

i always thought dave was interested in beatrice because of her status - but i may be wrong of course...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-06-2016, 10:14 PM
Courtier

Either Beatrice and Dave will show up somewhere together to put a stop to the rumour or they wont because it's true. It is very believable after 10 years of dating you have to wonder why no engagement. You know by then either you are going to get married or not and it's possible Beatrice wanted it and Dave didn't. If so it is good they split now so Bea can stop wasting her time and wanting something that won't happen. Now she can find someone who is on the same page. I always thought Dave was cute but Bea seemsed more into him then he did with her.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Majesty

Regardless of whether it is true or not, I found the DM reason they hadn't married was because she needed the Queen's permission, decidedly odd. The implication was she would not have agreed, worse still that HM would have consulted William rather than Charles or, more sensibly, Andrew!

Dave may have been a bit wild in his university years, but William wasn't exactly a model of perfect propriety then either. More interestingly, that was years ago and like most people, he's grown up. He may not be a model of stodge but he is certainly as well behaved as Harry, if not better.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

She needed the Queen's permission until Charlotte was born but it has been well over a year since then so there are a couple of assumptions:

1. They never wanted to get married
2. Dave hadn't proposed for some reason

Prior to Charlotte's birth Beatrice did need the Queen's permission so the assumptions then were:

1. The Queen wouldn't give permission - if so why not?
2. They never asked for such permission

The idea that The Queen would seen William's advice doesn't surprise me (and I have seen that suggestion in a number of connections for the York girls) as William will be the King in their generation. If it is true that he initially approved Dave as a boyfriend for Beatrice but doesn't now suggests he knows something we don't and he is on the ground there.

Asking Charles would be fairly pointless as the only thing I have ever heard that he has ever said about his nieces is that they are 'twits' - not very complementary. I don't get the feeling that Charles is all that close to Andrew or Andrew's daughters. I know we have seen loving pictures of Charles will Zara in the past but never with the York girls.

I have read that Beatrice wanted to do more to help the Queen during the Jubilee Year but that William was the one who refused to support her request - again suggesting William has issues with Beatrice and Dave because if Beatrice was to do more then Dave could be also involved in some of that in the same way that Tim is often with Anne even if not recorded in the CC.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Either Beatrice and Dave will show up somewhere together to put a stop to the rumour or they wont because it's true. It is very believable after 10 years of dating you have to wonder why no engagement. You know by then either you are going to get married or not and it's possible Beatrice wanted it and Dave didn't. If so it is good they split now so Bea can stop wasting her time and wanting something that won't happen. Now she can find someone who is on the same page. I always thought Dave was cute but Bea seemsed more into him then he did with her.

I always thought he looked like Grady Fletcher from Murder She Wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Dave may have been a bit wild in his university years, but William wasn't exactly a model of perfect propriety then either. More interestingly, that was years ago and like most people, he's grown up. He may not be a model of stodge but he is certainly as well behaved as Harry, if not better.
I thought his stunt in Spring 2014 with supermodel Karolina Kurkova was rather immature and crass. He had to know the press would drag Beatrice into it. Dave was in his 30's and should have known better. I guess I don't see him as that much of a grown-up.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

IF, IF, if it's true then I think it's very sad. A whole decade has been invested in this relationship.

Sometimes things happen for a reason though, and if one partner in a romance wants to marry and the other doesn't that's a pretty major stumbling block in a relationship. Sometimes people are perhaps a bit too young when it started, (Harry/Chelsy come to mind) and people change and their life direction does too.

In general though, I've always felt that if a relationship becomes serious and there's no talk of an engagement or wedding after a couple of years, then the whole thing can tend to drift.

It's in the first years that a couple's passion for each other is at its height after all, and there's a danger of it all becoming a nice fond friendship with benefits rather than moving on to marriage, children, home together etc.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:05 AM
Aristocracy

Though, given that she was 17/18 when they started dating, it's probably better that they weren't talking marriage after a couple of years.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:00 AM
Serene Highness

We don't know if this story is true or not yet, of course. It wouldn't surprise me if it were, but then this is the Daily Mail so we just don't know yet.

I also found it strange that the article suggested the Queen would consult William, and not Andrew, about Dave. I know that William is supposed to have introduced Dave to Beatrice, but at the least then wouldn't she consult *both* Andrew and William?
Old 08-07-2016, 01:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Though, given that she was 17/18 when they started dating, it's probably better that they weren't talking marriage after a couple of years.
Yes, I was writing about people who begin dating in their twenties when I said 'in general'. People in their teens are too young.

No, we don't know if any of it is true, but IMO the good old Daily Fail threw in the bits about the Queen consulting people without knowing that is so. We know that throughout her life she has never 'consulted' about the romances of her children and grandchildren. She follows a policy of non-interference in people's private lives in my view. (The one exception we know about was the Princess Margaret/Peter Townsend affair, and the times were very different.)

It was said that she refused to express an opinion to Charles as to whether he should marry Diana, and his choice was important to the future of the monarchy, so I hardly think she would be sending for William to consult him about Beatrice's love life.

There's been huge speculation and gossip about the relationship between the Cambridges and the York princesses over the years since Kate and William began dating. I have quite often read that William feels that Beatrice has been used for her title by Dave in his business dealings. Who knows if that is true or not. Pure speculation. However, I have to say I've often wondered that myself.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 16: July 2015

The Queen has never said no to a wedding approval for her family. I doubt that she would have consult anyone. William's wedding didn't get official approval by the Queen until Feb 2011 months after the engagement was announced. So the official permission is more of a rubber stamp. Bea stopped having to get permission anyways once Charlotte was born.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-07-2016, 03:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
We don't know if this story is true or not yet, of course. It wouldn't surprise me if it were, but then this is the Daily Mail so we just don't know yet.

I also found it strange that the article suggested the Queen would consult William, and not Andrew, about Dave. I know that William is supposed to have introduced Dave to Beatrice, but at the least then wouldn't she consult *both* Andrew and William?
That was rubbish that the DM fabricated. When she first started dating Dave, The Mail *assumed* that the connection came from William because both men were the same age and both went to University in Scotland. So they ran with the William and Dave are secret BFF's narrative. Then it came out that Dave and Beatrice met at Sean Brosnan's birthday party, and the DM had to awkwardly backtrack from the William angle. Now the DM maintains that William and Dave loathe each other. I imagine the real truth is that the two men are not well acquainted and don't give each other much thought.

On an amusing side note the DM tried this same scheme with Zara and Mike, by claiming for years that Harry introduced the couple. This lasted until Zara came out and said she did NOT meet Mike through Harry. This is why I have a hard time taking the DM's stories seriously, they're lying liars who like to lie.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:14 AM
Courtier

Perhaps it is a cultural thing, but I am not surprised at all that a couple can be together for 10 years and not get married.
In the Netherlands that happens quite often. Friends of mine have been together for nearly 20 years without marrying, and neither feels the need to.
And second:
People write about Dave not proposing being a problem. Well, there is nothing that stops Beatrice from doing it.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
People write about Dave not proposing being a problem. Well, there is nothing that stops Beatrice from doing it.

Perhaps she did do it (propose) and Dave was not interested. If he truly loved her, he would want to marry her, and he obviously doesn't.

I too have wondered if he was using her for a status symbol, particularly during the years he worked for Branson.

(There's also been some curious comments about this, hinting that Dave's preferences may be in a different direction! But that might just be a rumor).
Old 08-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Aristocracy

Very possibly a time-out if anything!

If not, time to let go!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Royal Highness

That's sad, we don't know what happened but that's a long time to be with someone to just end. Hope she finds someone better

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Have to wait for confirmation and details.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
current events, princess beatrice