The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Aristocracy

^I think dave and people give her freebies. The royals are known to be frugal. I think the Bransons aren't below giving her free airplane tickets. You know having a royal being seeing on your yacht can generate lots of publicity and it did, wouldn't be surprised if she been there free . just like having a royal being reported on your airline will raise some publicity, etc

Old 08-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

Poor Andrew, my big toe! He has enabled this and now must pay the piper. He does love to pamper his ladies, doesn't he?

Old 08-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Poor Andrew paying for the ex and paying for the girls.
At least Prince Andrew pays for his ex-spouse and not -like in Denmark- the taxpayer.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
At least Prince Andrew pays for his ex-spouse and not -like in Denmark- the taxpayer.
Good point. So poor Danish too.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But Camilla barely had a job, Diana barely had a job, like so many ladies from the well-to-do's. That is just their privilege. Princess Beatrice does not need to work for her living. Good for her. She has that luck and enjoys it. Period.
. Camilla worked as a single woman and was not paid for by the British public. Diana (r.i.p) worked as a single woman and was not paid for by the British public. Beatrice's wealth comes from the Royal Family who are paid for by whom? Who was currently suffering due to the current economic downturn? That Duc, in my humble opinion is the difference between Beatrice and The DOC and Diana, Princess of Wales.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
But her 'work' was mostly society girl hobby working that she got tired enough quickly enough seemingly when the novelty faded.

If she had a career she worked at and stuck with people would not have given her so much guff. Her sister is an example of this.
You must have missed the negative comments that came about (not from here) when it was announced that Eugenie took a position with an English company. It doesn't matter that the York Princesses receive no money from the English taxpayer (directly that is)...they are criticized when they work, when they are photographed going out to dinner (during off hours), walking down the street, when they don't work, walking to church, etc.

That IMO supports my belief that it doesn't matter what they do they will always receive criticism because who they are and who theirparents are.

The PR and perception could have been handled better in regards to this course and job. I believe Beatrice starts her job in the Fall, so Andrew's office could have announced that she took a finance course in the Spring, would be spending her final summer doing nothing (in a nice way of course) and would be starting a job in the Fall.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy

^ I still don't believe the DM story about her job, the DM is known to tell lies to sell a story but even a broken clock is right twice a day

My guess is she was going to NY but something didn't fall through or, she's still going though with it though at a different time frame, or she was never going at all? I m inclined to believe the last one. Nothing was ever officially anyways it was always tabloid talk.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't understad . Beatrice has a job or she is still unemployed?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Majesty

She must know that the paps find her on these vacations, and she must know that it's not playing well in the media back home. She seems to be a popular young lady, based on how many invitations she seems to get. This could be because her wealthy business friends want publicity, but perhaps not. It's impossible to know what's going on in her mind, and I'm loathe to criticize her based on the unpopularity of her parents. It's perhaps more interesting to think about why she and Eugenie seem to have taken different paths in life. We know that Beatrice hasn't always been a 'slacker', because it must have been difficult getting her degree with dyslexia. She's intelligent and pleasant. I tend to think that there's a missing piece of the puzzle. There's something we don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Nor is she required to work because she needs to pay the bills.

I agree that its best to lay low but based on how the Yorks are perceived in England..in this instance she can't win. She was criticized when she worked (Cause she took someone else's job) and when she doesn't work (she is a lazy lay about).
Old 08-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I don't understad . Beatrice has a job or she is still unemployed?
She's still unemployed.

I don't really have a problem with her not working. She's rich and not a full-time royal, so she has a right to do what she wants. At the same time, I do think all of these vacations are hurting her image. If it's true that she really wants to be a full-time working royal, then she's going about it the wrong way. I think if she were to buckle down and get involved in more charities, the public would see that she was an asset to the BRF.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I think it better she not be offered full time working for the firm status. Primarily because her father has frequently been criticized for misusing his Royal position to feather his personal nest/pay for his holiday jaunts (combo Royal/pleasure trips.) I expect like father like daughter.
Plus even if she is used for more official engagements, she'd not likely willingly abandon her jaunts and the freebees her jet setting pals enable her to enjoy. She'd simply keep doing as she's doing in between Royal commitments, no longer have to pay out of pocket for 'protection,' and be a cost to the Queen and later Charles and then William. The indolent vacation heavy lifestyle she lives just doesn't play well for Royals in this day and age, IMO. If we were back in the glamour days w/ tiara events and that special aura about Royals a la Princess Margaret it would be different, but in today's world, Beatrice and her lifestyle are a luxery the firm cannot afford both from a PR standpoint and a financial one, IMO.

Excellent post, she seems to be completely opposite to William and Harry who combine royal duties and a job. Dare I say raised by different parents with different values.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

How long are these so called "vacations"? My friends and relatives in Sweden all have at least 6 weeks vacation plus lots many more holidays than we in the US. It seems like everyone is always on a holiday or long weekend. It is very easy to jet down to the Alps or the Mediterranian for a few days of "vacation" while still being employed. Is Beatrice gone weeks at a time or on long weekends?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

It's a mix. Sometimes she goes away for long weekends and other times it's a week or so. She's supposedly headed to Spain to celebrate her birthday.

Just read the updated DM article and sources are saying that Beatrice moved to New York about 3 weeks ago. She supposedly just started a new job with a private equity firm. Since leaving Sony, there have been a number of rumors about her getting a new job, but nothing ever panned out. I'm not sure if this latest rumor is true, but I hope so.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

I suspect that she was raised to believe that she would work for the royal family in the same way as Princess Alexandra (also a male line granddaughter of a monarch and thus the same position as Beatrice) and so chose subjects at school and uni that she enjoyed but in fields where she didn't really want to work full-time. Then as she was finished uni, around the time William married Kate and the Jubilee the decision was finally told to her - no you have to make your own way in the world. 'You aren't wanted or needed as a full-time working royal and you won't be doing that.'

Then she had to start to think about what area of interest she had that she could work in and so she did a couple of finance courses and a few internships and then a couple of jobs but either disliked them and quit, was fired or whatever the jobs didn't really work out for her and so she is in the limbo world - not wanted or needed as a working royal although having been raised with that expectation and finding it difficult to settle into a real job with the discipline that is required.

Eugenie - being a year younger and further away from the throne never really wanted to be a working royal I suspect and so chose subjects at school and uni that would lead her to a career.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 'holidays' and other public activities are Bea's way of saying 'I will continue to embarrass you with constant holidays and parties etc until you decide to take me on as a working royal as that is what I want to do.' It won't work because Charles and William are setting the royal family on a different route and that I suspect will see fewer and fewer royal duties.

By the time William is King I think the 'charity' side of the royals will have ceased and so the need for the hangers-on in the family to work for the family will be gone. So everyone from Charlotte on down will be expected to work in the real world and not spend their lives carrying out the royal duties of opening this and that and visiting places and meeting people for all sorts of reasons.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
She gave up her last 'job' 8 months ago.
No, the DM told us all about her "jobs" and "holidays". I might even take their word for it if they covered her charity work, such as it is.

Fair's fair, give us all the story not cherrypick that which can be spun in an ugly way.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

The DM is one of the places I find information about Bea's occasional unofficial engagement that would be an official one for any other royal. They are quite good at reporting her charity events - such as they are.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesschicana View Post
^I think dave and people give her freebies. The royals are known to be frugal. I think the Bransons aren't below giving her free airplane tickets. You know having a royal being seeing on your yacht can generate lots of publicity and it did, wouldn't be surprised if she been there free . just like having a royal being reported on your airline will raise some publicity, etc

But for Beatrice herself, it is generally negative publicity.

Also, Andrew has frequently been embroiled in scandal due to his "friendships" with sleazy people.

I hope Beatrice is more discriminating about the people she spends time with, but I somehow doubt it.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Holidaying with "O" is pretty amazing, if I may say so! Hope she and Dave have fun.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What I would like to see come out is exactly how much Bea spends to go on these "vacations". I think we'd be very surprised at how little it costs her. Dave works for Branson so most likely cheap or free air fares and a lot of the places she does, she goes by invite. For all we know, the only thing she paid for out of pocket was her sun tan oils.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if Bea is in the charity work field, donations don't usually just walk in off the street. Some charity affairs can be of the real upmarket type with glamor, glitz and a lot of loaded pockets. She's invited to spend a weekend at Mr. XYZ's yacht in Ibiza either from a previous meeting and donation or it'll help when the next affair rolls around and they invite Mr. XYZ to attend and donate. We don't know.

I see no harm in what Bea is doing and for the most part, I'd have loved to have those options when I was young and single. The media just paints a picture of what they want the world to see and unfortunately they're trying to paint Bea as an empty airhead who knows nothing but a good time. Those of us that do see what she's done in the field of charity work know different. Pulling in a weekly paycheck does not denote a good person. It just means earning money doing something and getting paid. The character of a person is not measured by their wallets.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Aristocracy

Its a hit and miss with DM i know at least three events that bea went to this year that the DM never reported

Tags
current events, princess beatrice