The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #301  
Old 12-02-2015, 05:41 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't believe that there was anything wrong or horrible about hiring professional little people to play parts at a themed birthday party. If anything, it was the little people themselves benefiting from gaining, most probably, a very generous paycheck for their time. If, for any reason, they had felt insulted or demeaned being asked to play dwarves, they could very well have refused.
Well, Andrew and Sarah never learn from their mistakes. Don't be surprised if for Beatrice's 30th birthday they throw a Gone With The Wind themed party. Where Beatrice gets to dress up as Scarlett O'Hara and Dave can dress up as Rhett Butler. Then Andrew will dole out a large paycheck to local African actors to play slaves for the theme. Heck, they might even set the Royal Lodge on fire to complete the atmosphere.

Then the next day Andrew and Sarah will be shocked and appalled that the media is calling Beatrice a colonial racist.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 12-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Well, Andrew and Sarah never learn from their mistakes. Don't be surprised if for Beatrice's 30th birthday they throw a Gone With The Wind themed party. Where Beatrice gets to dress up as Scarlett O'Hara and Dave can dress up as Rhett Butler. Then Andrew will dole out a large paycheck to local African actors to play slaves for the theme. Heck, they might even set the Royal Lodge on fire to complete the atmosphere.

Then the next day Andrew and Sarah will be shocked and appalled that the media is calling Beatrice a colonial racist.
Once again, in that situation. they would be professional actors. Many, many black actors have played roles as slaves in TV shows and movies and on stage and they would be well paid. They also have the option to refuse the gig too.
__________________

__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 967
In plays/movies/television there is a deliberate "fourth wall" that separates the actor from the viewer during story telling.

That's a big difference from a birthday party. Where the "viewer" is a guest schmoozing around while a historically oppressed/abused/belittled group of people act as party gimmicks or decorative props. This is interactive. This is objectifying. Maybe the guest could get a selfie with a dwarf! Or ask them if they've ever been involved in Australian midget tossing! This party is a blast!

That was a case of insensitivity and bad P.R. acumen. Andrew and Sarah hung Eugenie with a proverbially rope. I'm sure they'll do the same to Beatrice in the near future. They can't help themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 12-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
In plays/movies/television there is a deliberate "fourth wall" that separates the actor from the viewer during story telling.

That's a big difference from a birthday party. Where the "viewer" is a guest schmoozing around while a historically oppressed/abused/belittled group of people act as party gimmicks or decorative props. This is interactive. This is objectifying. Maybe the guest could get a selfie with a dwarf! Or ask them if they've ever been involved in Australian midget tossing! This party is a blast!

That was a case of insensitivity and bad P.R. acumen. Andrew and Sarah hung Eugenie with a proverbially rope. I'm sure they'll do the same to Beatrice in the near future. They can't help themselves.

Excellent post agree it's not the same as a movie


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't believe that there was anything wrong or horrible about hiring professional little people to play parts at a themed birthday party. If anything, it was the little people themselves benefiting from gaining, most probably, a very generous paycheck for their time. If, for any reason, they had felt insulted or demeaned being asked to play dwarves, they could very well have refused.
Neither do I. I take the view that these are professional entertainers who are on the job market offering their services and they want the work, and giving them the work is just fine.

But like so much in our world, it's not as simple as that: 'It's time dwarfs stopped demeaning themselves in public' - Telegraph

But they are still adults, offering their services, and I can't criticise the people who hire them merely for hiring them. If they treat them badly while discharging their contract, that's a totally different matter, but we have no reason to think that was the case, so I'm going to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 967
Well, we know somethings. They weren't hired to sing a septet of Disney showtunes. The weren't hired to man the bar and mix drinks for party goers. According to the media write-up, their job was to follow Eugenie around all evening, be the dutiful dwarves who bask in the glow of the fairest Princess Snow White/Eugenie. Less about entertainment and displaying talent, much more about being a prop. I think that says enough.

Back to Beatrice, I really hope she getting a new perception on the world now that she spending a chunk of time in NYC. I like to think of it as a deprogramming exercise for her.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 1,365
She is almost certainly spending her time with socialite friends lunching shopping and partying much of the time when she is not at her Job. So. Doing the same things she does back home. Hardly being deprogrammed.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 12-02-2015, 10:05 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
She is almost certainly spending her time with socialite friends lunching shopping and partying much of the time when she is not at her Job. So. Doing the same things she does back home. Hardly being deprogrammed.

So basically she's doing what I and most of my friends do when we're not working.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,048
Me and mine too... but it seems that Beatrice parentage makes all the difference and justifies the continual snipe attacks on her for no other reason than her parents still draw breath, never mind that Beatrice is doing exactly what we would do, albeit with a larger budget!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 12-04-2015, 06:13 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Yes, she does what a lot of "average" people do when they are not working - but she is reproached for it because she is a princess and because of her parents.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 12-04-2015, 07:15 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
She is almost certainly spending her time with socialite friends lunching shopping and partying much of the time when she is not at her Job. So. Doing the same things she does back home. Hardly being deprogrammed.
When I say deprogramming I don't mean from her hobbies or socialite status. I don't think either are horrible things.

I meant that her parents and the media have warped her outlook and now she gets a clean slate.

In almost every interview, Sarah practically describes Beatrice as a deity. I only need to Google for 5 seconds to find an example, here's one, "Beatrice for sure, she's born a princess, she's very responsible and she's got a sense of duty. She is definitely someone to be watched in the future, because if she's not royal then I don't know who is. It's in her blood."

It was about 12 years ago when I first heard Sarah speak about Beatrice in such an over the top manner. I forgot her exact words but I remember thinking 'Good grief, woman. You're going to make your young daughter into either a narcissistic egomaniac , or a nervous wreck riddled with anxiety and a fear of failure.'
Fast forward 12 years and she still puts Beatrice on an impossible pedestal. Thankfully, I've never heard her speak about Eugenie in such a manner. Lucky, Eugenie!

Beatrice has her mother projecting delusions of grandeur onto her. And she has the media telling her she's a worthless, vapid, waste of space. Both sides of the dichotomy are ridiculous and incorrect, and they're both likely messing with her psychology. That's why I said she needs to be deprogrammed in the US. She has an opportunity to learn who she really is, a normal person with flaws and great attributes in equal measure.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 12-04-2015, 07:31 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
From all accounts I've heard Beatrice is a charming, grounded and smart young woman so I'd bet on that she knows exactly who she is. That said I'm sure being out of the media spotlight must be a relief for her.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 12-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
From all accounts I've heard Beatrice is a charming, grounded and smart young woman so I'd bet on that she knows exactly who she is. That said I'm sure being out of the media spotlight must be a relief for her.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I don't know. Beatrice has had a few infamous diva moments.

She had the incident at the Cuckoo Club. Where she was refused entry because she wasn't on the private party of Jean Charles de Castelbajac guestlist. And she retorted “Don’t you know who I am? Do you know I’m royalty?”.

Then there was that time she gave the cold shoulder to Thailand's Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana at a fashion show when she tried to greet Beatrice.

Then there was reportedly an incident at a fashion show where she refused to let Pippa Middleton sit next to her and put her purse on the chair, even though the event organizers assigned Pippa the seat. Pippa eventually sat somewhere else to avoid an embarrassing scene.

I do think her mind has been warped by bad influences, her parents and the media. I think it would do her some good to experience a clean slate in a different country.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 12-04-2015, 08:29 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I don't know. Beatrice has had a few infamous diva moments.

She had the incident at the Cuckoo Club. Where she was refused entry because she wasn't on the private party of Jean Charles de Castelbajac guestlist. And she retorted “Don’t you know who I am? Do you know I’m royalty?”.

Then there was that time she gave the cold shoulder to Thailand's Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana at a fashion show when she tried to greet Beatrice.

Then there was reportedly an incident at a fashion show where she refused to let Pippa Middleton sit next to her and put her purse on the chair, even though the event organizers assigned Pippa the seat. Pippa eventually sat somewhere else to avoid an embarrassing scene.

I do think her mind has been warped by bad influences, her parents and the media. I think it would do her some good to experience a clean slate in a different country.
All events "reported" but not verified. Troll fodder. No offense, but you can't believe it because it is on the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 12-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
All events "reported" but not verified. Troll fodder. No offense, but you can't believe it because it is on the internet.
All accounts came from newspapers. That at least gives some credence to the stories, whether or not they are exaggerated, fabricated or 100% true . I would hardly believe "troll fodder" from random dark corners of the internet.

Thanks for being concerned for my naïveté, though.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 12-05-2015, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,189
Princess Beatrice jets off to the Caribbean with boyfriend Dave writes GIRL ABOUT TOWN | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 12-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 967
Maybe they'll get engaged there. I'm angling for at least one of my 2016 predictions to come true.
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 12-12-2015, 05:13 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Maybe they'll get engaged there. I'm angling for at least one of my 2016 predictions to come true.
Hope not...just don't see much of a relationship between these two at all. Something seems unrealistic about their "relationship." In many pix, he seems to be looking straight at the camera, while she at him. And if Bea is caught off guard any other kind of pix, she always has a blank, staring, non-annimated look on her face - she never smiles unless she is posing...
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 12-13-2015, 06:05 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 885
They have been together a long time. Is he in New York too? After so long an engagement would be expected. There comes a time in every relationship when you have to work out to either make the next step or stop so you can find someone else. He always looks happy mind you they are usually on vacations and most would be happen then too. If Bea marries what he be known as? he doesn't automatically get a title does he? Eugenie has been in a longterm relationship maybe they will both get engaged?
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 967
In February, Eugenie and Jack will celebrate their 6th anniversary. That's pretty long-term. People, myself included, just assume that Beatrice will get engaged first. It's like when Peter and Zara were both in long-term relationships, everybody predicted that Peter would get engaged first because he's the older sibling. Sure enough, that's what happened.

There's nothing to suggest that Dave would get a title. As of now, The Duke of York's titles are still going to be merged with The Crown upon his death.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current events, princess beatrice


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 15: January 2014-July 2015 Zonk Current Events Archive 805 07-01-2015 10:42 PM
Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 14: July 2011-December 2013 wbenson Current Events Archive 798 01-01-2014 02:40 PM
Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 13: October 2009-July 2011 wbenson Current Events Archive 748 07-03-2011 04:27 PM
Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 4: July-August 2006 ysbel Current Events Archive 207 08-09-2006 05:07 AM
Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 3: August 2005-July 2006 Josefine Current Events Archive 202 07-07-2006 03:59 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess beatrice hats princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats prince sverre queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden swedish royal family summer portraits 2016 the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats time travel women deliver conference


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises