The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Oh that's good!!
I rather liked the way he just raised his eyebrows and gave her a "look" when she asked about the fantasies as if to say "Excuse me?" Not a royal snub by any stretch of the matter, just a little jab to remind her who she was talking to.
Yes, it was a rather gentle response from Andrew. If Meredith had been speaking to Prince Philip or Princess Anne, I doubt the response would have been as mild.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Yes, it was a rather gentle response from Andrew. If Meredith had been speaking to Prince Philip or Princess Anne, I doubt the response would have been as mild.
Well thankfully he isn't as stuffy as those two...

I always liked Andrew...he seems very nice and easy going. He's a good rep for the royal family...he's not stiff and never comes off too superior.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I rather think he was being a gentleman. Something Meredith really didn't deserve with those wacky questions. . . .
Old 01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I think she was used to being on "The View" where they just talk.
No, she wasn't very good. Maybe she was jittery?
I don't know what she did before the View but it seems that she doesn't know how to ask questions.

It was almost like she'd never interviewed before.

It was weird but Andrew did have a sense of humour which I enjoyed. What did he say about Sarah? I didn't get that far.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
I don't know what she did before the View but it seems that she doesn't know how to ask questions.

It was almost like she'd never interviewed before.

It was weird but Andrew did have a sense of humour which I enjoyed. What did he say about Sarah? I didn't get that far.
Which is strange because she started on some cutting edge show back in the 80's I remember seeing her on that. It was made by ABC to take on CBS's 60 minutes, so she has the experience. I just don't know why she was such a dork!
HRH was very much the gentleman talking about Sarah. He reminded me a lot of my father. When my parents divorced, my father never said an unkind word about my mother, my mother vilified my father every chance she could get. When I was 18 and having words with my mother, after slamming the phone down I turned to my father and said, "How could you LIVE with THAT WOMAN??" he calmly said, "It was very difficult."
HRH reminds me of that. Class act!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Nobility

I thought he did well. I do like him. I don't like Meredith Vieira. I never have. She isn't a journalist, she is a poor entertainer and her interview questions reflected as much.
Lexi
Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Which is strange because she started on some cutting edge show back in the 80's I remember seeing her on that. It was made by ABC to take on CBS's 60 minutes, so she has the experience. I just don't know why she was such a dork!
HRH was very much the gentleman talking about Sarah. He reminded me a lot of my father. When my parents divorced, my father never said an unkind word about my mother, my mother vilified my father every chance she could get. When I was 18 and having words with my mother, after slamming the phone down I turned to my father and said, "How could you LIVE with THAT WOMAN??" he calmly said, "It was very difficult."
HRH reminds me of that. Class act!
You're right. Lucky for Andrew that Sarah is always very complimentary about him although it seems she gets criticized for being cloying and fake when she speaks well of Andrew and the Royal family. I must say that after you described your experience with your mother, I think I'd rather have my divorced parents be nice, and cloying, and fake towards each other rather than truthful, and honest, and nasty.

I saw the rest of the interview and Andrew credited Sarah for keeping the girls grounded. He said that she had the unique perspective of being born into a normal life, marrying into royalty and the getting out of royalty and going back to a normal life which he couldn't give the children because he had always been royal.

I also saw the part of the interview when Meredith asked him about fantasies. LOL I think he was scared she was going to share some dirty sexual fantasy with him; I know a lot of girls that have had one about Andrew. But what struck me was when he said that he never fantasized about being someone else; he just said that he dealt with what he had. I thought that was interesting; it seems charming as Andrew is, he is a man with no imagination, he just deals with his life the ways it is and he doesn't seem to wonder what would happen if he hadn't done such and such or what if he had done that. I was thinking he may have a hard time understanding others who are not royal army officers so I doubt if he can be all that understanding and empathetic of Beatrice's and Eugenie's growing pains as girls.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

It's like coming from the bottom up. We have been at the bottom, we can fantasize about being princesses (of course I was always a tom-boy so I was the disguised knight! ) because things are "better" richer, better food, clothing, people (one would hope!) etc. He can't. He's always been at the top so it's hard to look down.
Does this make sense?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Courtier

Joel on Talk Soup did a funny commentary on this interview...LOL
Old 02-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
It's like coming from the bottom up. We have been at the bottom, we can fantasize about being princesses (of course I was always a tom-boy so I was the disguised knight! ) because things are "better" richer, better food, clothing, people (one would hope!) etc. He can't. He's always been at the top so it's hard to look down.
Does this make sense?
Interesting thought Russophile.

I was thinking along the same line but not so much as Andrew having it better than the rest of us. I imagine some son of a Saudi billionaire would have had it better than Andrew without the burden of being royal.

But I do agree that Andrew was born into a lifestyle and will die in a lifestyle that carries very different expectations for its members than the rest of us. I think the difference of expectations of what is proper behavior and what is not would be the hardest thing to understand and like I said, I don't think Andrew has that much of an imagination to be able to put himself in someone else's shoes for awhile.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Andrew's comment about being a person who sees the glass half-full rather than half-empty was quite revealing. It seems that he has a really good attitude about his Royal role: rather than complain about all his "burdens", he just gets on with it. He sounds like an optimistic person.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Joel on Talk Soup did a funny commentary on this interview...LOL

I saw that (I love Joel McHale, btw).

I completely agree with him (and others in the media) who noted that they were completely and utterly embarrassed by Meridith's childish and pathetic behavior. I literally cringed watching her ask such inane questions. Andrew handled it quite well, but from now on I hope she will be banned from ever interviewing another royal family member again.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Is there a link to Joel's show on that? I would be interested in seeing/hearing that!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Gentry

It is supposed to be repeated again at in a few hours 12am ET. I am assuming it is the same episode?
Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
I saw that (I love Joel McHale, btw).

I completely agree with him (and others in the media) who noted that they were completely and utterly embarrassed by Meridith's childish and pathetic behavior. I literally cringed watching her ask such inane questions. Andrew handled it quite well, but from now on I hope she will be banned from ever interviewing another royal family member again.
I wouldn't guarantee she'd be quite as "inane" around another member of the royal family. I don't know, but I got the impression she was acting particularly silly and was blurting out the first thing that came into her head because she found Andrew attractive (like a lot of people in this thread apparently, me included, although Andrew is way too old for me. )
Old 02-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I wouldn't guarantee she'd be quite as "inane" around another member of the royal family. I don't know, but I got the impression she was acting particularly silly and was blurting out the first thing that came into her head because she found Andrew attractive (like a lot of people in this thread apparently, me included, although Andrew is way too old for me. )
You know, I think you may have hit on something there. People do a lot of stupid things when they are attracted to somebody and they try to hide it.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

I wondered about an attraction too. I thought she was quite flirtatious and flustered with him. (You know, I remember 20-some years ago Meredith was a serious journalist -- and then she scaled back to have children -- and she has a disabled husband -- then she joined The View and became host of So You Want to Be a Millionaire. That kind of sounded like the death of her journalistic career to me, but Today Show execs decided otherwise. BTW, she's not funny on Millionaire either.)

Did anyone else notice how the Today Show kept peppering the Andrew segments with announcements of an upcoming segment on male baldness? I was rather amused, as Andrew's hair seemed a little... spotty.

Perhaps we should petition to keep Meredith away from Royals and Larry King away from so-called Royals experts?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Perhaps we should petition to keep Meredith away from Royals and Larry King away from so-called Royals experts?
What was the Larry King episode? I missed that.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Andrew's visit to the United States: February 6-15, 2008

The Duke of York United Kingdom Special Representative for International Trade and Investment, will visit the United States of America.
The visit will start on February 6 and will end on February 15, 2008
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Royal Highness

Nothing recent that I've seen with Larry King... but he always invites Kitty Kelley, who isn't the best informed "authority." I know more than Kitty Kelley!! Andrew Morton, Hugo Vickers and the late Harold Brooks-Baker are tolerable... but Kitty Kelley?

Sorry to highjack.

Tags
duke of york, new york, prince andrew, trade representative, tv interview, united states