The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Andrew's book of photography

Does anyone remember the title of the book of photographs that Prince Andrew published during the mid-80s? I've been trying to find a reference to it online and haven't come up with anything.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Does anyone remember the title of the book of photographs that Prince Andrew published during the mid-80s? I've been trying to find a reference to it online and haven't come up with anything.
I hope this might be some help to you Mermaid1962.
Books By and About Prince Andrew

Photographs by H.R.H. Prince Andrew. A collection of photographs taken by Prince Andrew, published in 1985. Out of print, but available from Alibris.

PACT was founded by The Duke of York on the proceeds of the book of his photographs ("Photographs: HRH The Prince Andrew"), which he published in 1985.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Irish Eyes. In all the variations of search strings that I used, I couldn't find it; so I appreciate this very much. I've seen it in used book stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I hope this might be some help to you Mermaid1962.

PACT was founded by The Duke of York on the proceeds of the book of his photographs ("Photographs: HRH The Prince Andrew"), which he published in 1985.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Courtier

It is available on British Amazon too. It is quite expensive at the moment [£12.50 or something] but in the past I have seen copies as low as 1p! It is therefore worth checking occasionally if you want a copy.

Alex
Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Andrew's photography hobby is something we haven't heard about for a long time. I wonder whether he still pursues it?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Courtier

Mermaid, the little I know is that Prince Andrew was often criticised for being a poor photographer by many professional photographers. In particular, they criticised an informal portrait of the Queen standing (from memory) in front of a fireplace. Apparently it was a 'bad portrait'. I have to confess that I didn't see a thing wrong with the photo - in fact, I thought it was a nice, informal picture of a smiling monarch.

Prince Andrew's 'photographic guru' [as the press dubbed him at the time] was the technically talented Gene Nocon, who 'advised' and 'assisted' Andrew in his photographic endeavours, and [IIRC] I believe he also 'collaborated' / co-authored Prince Andrew's book. From my hazy memory at the time, any photos that were felt to be 'acceptable' by the Press were attributed to the 'talent' of Nocon and any photos taken by Andrew that were felt to be 'poor' subjected poor old Nocon to a form of disapproval, or at least 'association with (allegedly) inferior photos'. In other words, Andrew and Nocon 'couldn't win'!!

Without any evidence in support of what I am about to say, I would speculate that Prince Andrew gave up 'public' photography, no doubt discouraged, but presumably remains an avid amateur photographer, probably taking lots of happy snaps of Beatrice and Eugenie. The Queen, incidentally, is apparently an enthusiastic amateur photographer as well.

Piece of useless information: Royal photos used to be developed for the royals by Wallace Heaton of Bond Street. It was also customary that if friends of the royal family took 'private photos' of the BRF at private events and parties etc, it was requested that the films [as they were in those days, it was before digital photography] were then sent to be developed at Wallace Heaton. This firm was regarded as totally discreet and was also apparently required to RETAIN the negatives, returning ONLY the prints to the photographer.

Wallace Heaton [which used to be a Royal Warrant Holder] was subsequently taken over by 'cheap and cheerful' electrical retailers Dixons, who retained the 'Wallace Heaton' name above the shop and continued to have Royal Patronage. Dixons itself then moved out of Bond Street [expensive rent] and then itself changed into PC World. Not sure what happens to Royal films etc now.

Alex
Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Russo thought that HRH was rather good and has thought PA ought to do another picture book for the troops to help his tarnished reputation and support those who have lost limbs in the wars.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

That is a TERRIFIC idea, Russo! I liked the photographs as well and thought that the picture of the Queen was very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Russo thought that HRH was rather good and has thought PA ought to do another picture book for the troops to help his tarnished reputation and support those who have lost limbs in the wars.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Not surprising at all, Diarist. I remember flipping through the book on a couple of occasions, and I liked the photos. I remember the one of Prince Edward posing with a walking-stick like one of his ancestors and also the one of the model (Katie Rabett?). I think that she was sitting or half-reclining on a stone bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Mermaid, the little I know is that Prince Andrew was often criticised for being a poor photographer by many professional photographers.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Mermaid, the little I know is that Prince Andrew was often criticised for being a poor photographer by many professional photographers. In particular, they criticised an informal portrait of the Queen standing (from memory) in front of a fireplace. Apparently it was a 'bad portrait'. I have to confess that I didn't see a thing wrong with the photo - in fact, I thought it was a nice, informal picture of a smiling monarch.
That portrait is one of my favourite pictures of HM. She looks very relaxed, and her smile is radiant! Here it is.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Courtier

It's one of my favourite pictures of the Queen as well. I think Andrew was a good photographer I wonder if he still does it?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Majesty

I wonder if Andrew and The Queen still take photographs? I remember back in the day they used to be pictured with a camera in their hands, in their down time and sometimes even on official tours.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Serene Highness

That is also one of my very favourite pictures of HM. I have the book and think/thought Andrew has a very good eye and I really like the photos. Shame all the criticism pushed him into private photography.

At least I hope Andrew's still at it. Someone that talented should still be at it IMO.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
At least I hope Andrew's still at it. Someone that talented should still be at it IMO.
Though i do like that one of the Queen, in the red twinset, not all Prince Andrew's photos have been successful (imo); the photos he took of newborn Lady Louise, her parents and the Queen were shapshots, rather than thoughtfully composed photos.