The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Courtier

I am anxious not to take this thread off topic, but IMHO, I think the real problem is that Andrew is not.....over- bright. And examples of this now seem to weave their way through many of his current events.......

include the fact that he served in the Navy, with some gallantry. His bad points seem to stem from the fact that he seems completely unable to see many things from a position other than his own!

A friend of my husband, who served in the Royal Navy, [but not right alongside Andrew] once told me that he thought that the problem with Andrew's development lay in the fact that all through his life, everyone deferred to him, giving him an over-inflated opinion of his own importance. Apparently, this was even the case when he was in the Navy - starting from the time when he was able to get time off to be with Sarah when she was giving birth. The situation was that Andrew wanted to be at Sarah's side, and so the Navy arranged this. Up until that time, any serving sailor who wanted to get home to his wife was usually given short shrift! [Apparently, one of the reasons why poor old Prince Edward found the Marines so tough was that they treated him exactly the same as any other Marine recruit....]

You would think that any one with common sense would be able to sense that having courted controversy when serving as Trade Ambassador, Andrew would have the sense to tread carefully. But apparently this is not the case. I assume that staff trying to steer Andrew in a more sensible direction would be put in their place. Swiftly. Which is why I suppose Andrew continues to behave in the way that he is doing.

What I do find a little surprising is why the Queen [or Prince Philip, come to that!] is prepared to let this state of affairs continue. The Queen has, in my humble opinion, quite a well-developed 'radar' about what people are thinking. I often read that Andrew is her 'favourite son', and therefore by implication, over-indulged. However, I always question this assertion about 'favouritism'. I really do not think that the Queen favours any of her children over another, but what I do think is that by the time that Andrew [and Edward] arrived, the Queen was in a position to be more closely involved with their upbringing. She had had longer to work in her royal role, and therefore do so more efficiently. and of course, the 10 years between the birth of Anne and Andrew had seen a lot of changes - for a start, long distance air travel was now firmly in place, meaning that the Queen was not going to have to leave her younger family in the way that she did [for long periods] when Charles and Anne were young.

Why then does the Queen not step in? I sometimes wonder what more Andrew has to do?

Only my thoughts and not meant to offend,

Alex

Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for your insight Alex. Personally I'm not offended by the thoughts that you've shared.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince Andrew told to put Sunninghill Park in order | Mail Online
Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I dont see why it should be Andrew's problem when he sold it quite some time ago.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree, scooter. He has no reason to have concern for that property now.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Courtier

What on earth could Andrew do about it? The new owner will do what they want it's their property.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this is just a way of using Andrew's name, resurrecting an old "scandal", and thereby selling papers. Anybody who knows anything about property knows that it's no longer your responsibility once you sell it.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Majesty

Maybe Andrew has been a bit to beneath the radar recently and hasn't done anything controversial so the DM had to raise some 'scandal' because there isn't anything else.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I have no doubt, Iluvbertie. Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Maybe Andrew has been a bit to beneath the radar recently and hasn't done anything controversial so the DM had to raise some 'scandal' because there isn't anything else.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Courtier

Sounds like it Iluvbertie. Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel for a story.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Nobility

Air Miles Andy's £7,700 suites on Far East jaunt at taxpayer's expense | Mail Online

Here's the Daily Mail's most recent offering, summarizing the trip to Asia.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Air Miles Andy's £7,700 suites on Far East jaunt at taxpayer's expense | Mail Online

Here's the Daily Mail's most recent offering, summarizing the trip to Asia.
The DM is at it again. They make it sound as if Andrew went off on a fun vacation to Asia for the good of his health. Then they imply the hotel cost tax payers 7700 pounds but at then end of the story they quote the palace as saying they get an 80% discount.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder what Andrew would have to do to have the DM say something nice about him? The thing is, we have no way of knowing how beneficial these trips and therefore do a cost/benefit analysis.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Majesty

I don't think, even if he died, the DM would have something nice to say about him. But then again there are some posters on this and other boards who would also probably cheer along with quite a large percentage of the British public.

The man has served his country as asked all his adult life and he just can't get any credit for doing that.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Aristocracy

He's HRH The Duke of York, second son of the Queen where is he supposed to stay? He is dealing with businessmen of great wealth in these countries...people who are impressed with his royal status and who expect him to stay in the top hotels.

The British taxpayers are not being charged for the private plane only for a business fare, the hotel suites were discounted 80% and what Andrew does with his money is his own business. IMO the DM is being very unfair.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Aristocracy

The Daily Mail is just the absolute pits. They take a swipe at one of the Yorks weekly. Andrew gets raked over the coals for absolutely no reason. Aside from his 'Randy Andy' days and being a loyal friend to Jeffrey Epstein, he's done *nothing* controversial.

And yet this kind of coverage from the DM haunts him consistently.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Unfortunately since Prince Charles is no longer doing anything "news worthy" they had to find another scapegoat.

Ann couldn't give a toss and in her own succinct way, memorably told them to "Naff Off" back in her Eventing days. It looks like it either stuck or they're just plain scared of her because they leave her alone for the most part.

Once Edward and Sophie cut all their private employment they too are good hardworking royals and have nothing "newsworthy" to report. Perhaps they are scared of the Queen!

That leaves Andrew, a bachelor, and we all know that when he was a lad he was "a bit of a lad". So we have a divorced man who absolutely must be doing something wrong . . . . something, anything, there has to be dirt to be found. If not, we invent it.

I think Andrew is the victim of a decade or more long bash. He can't officially reply, yet most of the people he has mixed with in the course of his government sanctioned appointment were introduced to him by members of trade and industry, some even from the government itself. Yet, when their bad habits are exposed it is Andrew who is at fault for becoming a friend. Where is the culpability for those who sent him off to make deals and money for the country.

As to Andrew flying first class and staying in first class hotels, well really, that's why they sent him. A Prince of the Realm is expected to travel and entertain on the same level as any CEO, that's part of the cachet of having a Prince glad handing for you. Are any of those movers and shakers to be found at the economy gate in an airport or and no star hotel? I think not!

It's time people realised that Andrew's use to trade and industry lies in his being and acting like a Prince and not your average Joe. A Prince has the entrée into a world that average people and even many CEO's don't!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:06 PM

I think the problem with the property (Sunninghill) is that he sold it to a foreign purchaser for a quick buck, but the foreign purchaser refuses to maintain it. Ordinarily, if a property becomes derelict, the neighbors complain that their property values are being ruined by a neighborhood eyesore. The local government would issue writs requiring the property to be maintained. If these were ignored, the property would be seized and auctioned. The Palace may regard the latter as a bit too high profile for their tastes.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I think an analogy would be if I were selling my house and my real estate agent showed up in an old, beat-up car. My first thought would be, "This person can't be a very good agent, or else s/he'd have a nicer car." Image is important; and if Andrew's doing deals for the UK at the highest level, he has to look the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
It's time people realised that Andrew's use to trade and industry lies in his being and acting like a Prince and not your average Joe. A Prince has the entrée into a world that average people and even many CEO's don't!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

The Duke of York officially inaugurated the Brighton College in Abu Dhabi on November 24, 2011.
On pic 2 he is pictured with Sheikh Hamed bin Zayed al-Nahayan, Chairman of the Abu Dhabi
Crown Prince's Court.

The Duke of York is on a two-day visit (November 23 & 24) to the United Arab Emirates, mainly
to mark the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the founding of the U.A.E.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **