Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 7: Feb 2015 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Palmer from The Daily Express is probably one of the worst royal "journalists" around as the contents of his blabbing tweets already show. Little chance that Her Majesty will even tremble one eyelash because of his views.

I think Richard Palmer is one of the most honest and trusted royal reporters out there.

I think Richard Palmer is one of the most honest and trusted royal reporters out there.

I and everyone I know who is interested in the monarchy thinks he is one of the worst.

I think Richard Palmer is one of the most acid and vitriolic royal reporters out there.

It seems that we all have different views on journalists, but to be honest my own personal feelings are that I take no notice of what most journalists say, good or bad.

If was anybody else other than Andrew would anybody even comment on it. Philip, Charles, Duke of Kent have all received these types of post leaving the service promotions.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think Richard Palmer is one of the most acid and vitriolic royal reporters out there.

I agree with Dman. Palmer says how he sees it. He isnt 2-faced as in says one thing on twitter and writes something else.

you dont have to agree with him (and I dont always agree with him) but I have found him fair and consistent. And he has led the way in answering questions on twitter. So many journos steal info from twitterers and bloggers but never reply or give credit.

If was anybody else other than Andrew would anybody even comment on it. Philip, Charles, Duke of Kent have all received these types of post leaving the service promotions.

Very true. none have commented on Prince Michael at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I've been royal watching over several years, Richard Palmer has been the guy I (and many others) look to for answers the most. Reporters don't always get things right, and they often try to slip in their own personal opinions, but I think he's an alright guy. Better than Katie Nicholls. We haven't seen much of her lately though.

I really don't rate any royal reporters. They just try and stir the pot rather than report on the facts.

I lost faith in Palmer after he made a stink over Kate being a princess. That's basic royalty 101.

As for Andrew, yes the furore doesn't seem to extend to other royals gaining military honours but Andrew's reputation is in the toilet as far as the tabloids are concerned

While that's true I think they might have slipped past but because of the Andrew problem people are taking notice and starting to question the whole thing

I'm pretty sure it is common knowledge that Philip and Charles didn't leave the Royal Navy as admirals but they have worn an admiral's uniform for several years.

[....] but I have found him fair and consistent. [....]

In my humble opinion fairness and consistency are far away when only now, with the Duke of York, Mr Palmer sees a problem. While tackling the automatic promotion of the Duke, he totally ignored the promotion of Prince Michael to the rank of Rear Admiral. When the absolutely non-militair "Princess Kate" became a Canadian Ranger (a component of the Canadian armed forces) I have not heard Mr Palmer uttering any protests against this military appointment.

:flowers:

Perhaps people are not commenting adversely on the appointments to Prince Michael because his are expressly stated to be Honorary whereas Andrew's are not and appear substantive.

Perhaps though, as Richard Palmer and fellow posters on Twitter have discussed, the practice of promoting minor royals into military positions (even honorary ones) they have not earned should cease after this reign.

There is a need for Heads of State and the heir to be awarded the highest rank because the Sovereign is head of the Armed Forces. However, the others could cease at the rank of hon Colonel and equivalent in Navy and Air Force. Why should Prince Michael be granted a senior honorary rank? What has he ever done to deserve such an honour?

There is a resentment about Andrew getting this promotion straight after he's been mired in scandal for weeks, and if the royal family aren't careful the cynicism about their members getting an easy ride through life no matter what, could well increase.

Palmer is only stating what others are saying and if the royal family think that the public are happy and satisfied that this has been done they are sadly mistaken. I think it's a disaster in terms of PR.

:previous: I agree with you; I was just pointing out that Michael's shiny new toy is expressly honorary, because I think the distinction is important.

I think the timing was appalling and I was pleased to see Palmer's comment because I have always had regard for his opinions. People were jokingly saying that after this latest Epstein controversy we would see Andrew rewarded by Mummy, and we get this! It was too good to be true for the cynical amongst us, and, I believe, a PR disaster.

:previous: I agree with you; I was just pointing out that Michael's shiny new toy is expressly honorary, because I think the distinction is important.

I think the timing was appalling and I was pleased to see Palmer's comment because I have always had regard for his opinions. People were jokingly saying that after this latest Epstein controversy we would see Andrew rewarded by Mummy, and we get this! It was too good to be true for the cynical amongst us, and, I believe, a PR disaster.

I agree the timing was appalling at time when you would think that they wouldn't want front page news

We all know that Andrew hasn't been charged with anything, though that may happen in the future. However, he was forced to resign as trade envoy due to scandal and neither he nor Fergie have exactly added lustre to the British Royal Family in the past couple of decades. I, and others, just happen to think that with his his past reputation Andrew is one of the most expendable members of the royal family.

Also, none of us know what Charles intends the makeup of the royal family to be in the new reign.

While I won't defend many of the actions of Sarah in the last couple decades, she hasn't been a member of the BRF for just shy of two decades now so she isn't exactly expected to be bringing any lustre to the family.

Further, while Andrew has definitely had his share of screw ups he has worked hard for the BRF. The fact of the matter is that it ultimately doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do; he could be the hardest working member of the BRF and sever all ties to all of his less lustrous or more questionable friends - including his ex-wife - and yet he would still be criticized for no reason other than the fact that he's Andrew. I think the man has certainly screwed up in the past and has questionable friends - and if the allegations being made against him now are true then I don't think he should get off - but he has worked hard to support his family as well. And his relationship with Sarah isn't as bad of a thing as people like to make it out to be - problems aside, the two of them have two children together and in maintaining a good relationship, and in providing the support that Andrew has provided Sarah, they've done a lot for their kids.

Every time Sarah flogs things in the United States or gives interviews in the US she is regarded, de facto, by many Americans as being a member of the BRF. She makes hay while the sun shines over her (fading) royal connections, otherwise no-one would bother with her.

She wouldn't get away with it in Britain as she herself knows very well. Americans are not particularly tuned in as to who is a current member of the royal family or not.

She got into trouble through money for connections to Prince Andrew, in her last mess, didn't she? Andrew is still a royal, unfortunately. Both their reputations are down the toilet, largely because of their own actions, and neither have done credit to the BRF.

Yes, they have been good parents to their children.

True, but I think they frequently get a pass on questionable behavior because people say they are good parents.

And, are they really, or did they get lucky? Their daughters obviously love them no matter what, but we really don't know what kind of parents they have been.

Every time Sarah flogs things in the United States or gives interviews in the US she is regarded, de facto, by many Americans as being a member of the BRF. She makes hay while the sun shines over her (fading) royal connections, otherwise no-one would bother with her.

She wouldn't get away with it in Britain as she herself knows very well. Americans are not particularly tuned in as to who is a current member of the royal family or not.

She got into trouble through money for connections to Prince Andrew, in her last mess, didn't she? Andrew is still a royal, unfortunately. Both their reputations are down the toilet, largely because of their own actions, and neither have done credit to the BRF.

The American people knows Sarah and Andrew are divorced, and that she's not a current member of the royal family. It's the American people that embraced her after her famous and public divorce and helped her get back on her feet.

I've deleted a number of personal posts. Please remember that the discussion is about Prince Andrew's current events and not other posters, or the merits of certain royal reporters. Any additional off-topic posts will be deleted.

What is going on in Andrew's case is a Testimonium de Auditu (a case based on hearsay). "A friend of a colleague of mine thought that the boy often had blue and bruised spots" (via-via suggesting there might be domestic violence). This is not accepted as evidence and might also not hang like a cloud above someone.

So Buckingham Palace is the one being consistent here: there is no case against the Duke, allegations uttered in media as a fall-out from another case are categorically denied and it was time for this promotion in rank given the "timetable" for such promotions.

Perhaps people are not commenting adversely on the appointments to Prince Michael because his are expressly stated to be Honorary whereas Andrew's are not and appear substantive.

They are both fully honorary. It is not that the Duke of York suddenly is expected in the Admiralty to discuss tactics and strategies of Her Majesty's fleet.

Prince Michael has never been in service of the Navy and his appointment in the Royal Navy Reserve is therefore honorary. The Duke of York however was a high-ranked naval officier by profession.

1979 Officer Cadet
1980 Midshipsman
1983 Lieutenant
1984 Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty The Queen
1991 Lieutenant-Commander
1999 Commander
2001 retirement from the Royal Navy and the Ministry of Defence
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Captain
2010 Rear Admiral
2015 Vice Admiral

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke of York opens new travel tech incubator - The Wharf
The UK’s first-ever incubator for travel technology startups has been opened by the Duke of York on the South Bank.

Traveltech Lab offers workspace for 30 people within the riverside offices of London & Partners, the Mayor’s promotional company for London in partnership with The Trampery, a Shoreditch-based social enterprise.

At the opening, Gatwick Airport was confirmed as the first corporate partner of the new incubator.

More than 100 companies applied for space, including businesses from Germany, China and the US.

L&P CEO Gordon Innes said: “As well as being one of the world’s foremost tourism destinations, London is also a leading global hotspot for tech innovation.

The Duke of York bridles at the question. “Excuse me, what the hell am I doing now?” says the indignant fifth in line to the throne. All I asked was whether he would make a good entrepreneur.

“I am being entrepreneurial by setting this up,” Prince Andrew waves his arm around the room. “So therefore, yes, I am a serial entrepreneur. My staff are giggling because they get really fed up with the good ideas that I come up with.” He affects a voice: “Oh, we’ve got to do another one now, have we?”

We are sitting in the most unregal of settings: Wayra, an incubator space for fledgling companies off Tottenham Court Road. It has exposed ceilings, chipboard seats and orange picnic tables piled with mounds of cake. At least the Smeg fridges have a Union Jack design.

More: 'If Beatrice or Eugenie wanted to start a business I would say get on with it': Prince Andrew on launching a fashion label with his daughters - London Life - Life & Style - London Evening Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom