The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Not really so "nice", in my opinion. He is the Duke of York. The people of York have suffered greatly because of the floods. It's his duty - his job - to go there. He'd be a louse if he didn't. I would like to see his daughters visit, too, since they are both princesses "of York".

What I think was nice was Katherine Kent visiting. She is no longer a working Royal, and she didn't go out of duty, but because she is a Yorkshire girl and because she cares about the people and the land that is in her heart, and I'm sure the people she met there appreciated it.
I loved seeing Katherine Kent out there yesterday. It made me realize how much I miss seeing her out and about. She was always a favorite.

It would have been nice to see the York girls,too. But I think it was reported that Beatrice is on holiday in St. Barts. I'm not sure the story with Eugenie, she could have been working or as in the past she has a tendency to go on ski vacations over the New Year holiday. Andrew always gets more press when he's with his daughters so that would have been an added benefit. But I'm glad he made an appearance all the same.

I want to add that if either Beatrice or Eugenie plan to marry at York Minster then this is the exact kind of P.R. outing they need to do. If they want to embrace "york" for their wedding then they need to do it in times of turmoil,too, much like The Duchess of Kent.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

This would have been an excellent opportunity for the York girls to score a huge number of PR brownie points. If they had cut short a holiday in order to go visiting the people of York at this time, a wedding at York Minster would be guaranteed.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:36 AM
Royal Highness

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ims-north.html
I don't think this has been posted

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Despite my not so very high opinion about Andrew, I think that he did what it was expcted from him and did the right thing.He acted in a good way.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Despite my not so very high opinion about Andrew, I think that he did what it was expcted from him and did the right thing.He acted in a good way.

It's not a very flattering article

Old 01-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post

I doubt if anything Andrew does will escape criticism.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:33 AM
Heir Apparent

When people are in crisis, you don't, IMO, go to the place, somewhat disrupt rescue efforts, utter a couple of platitudes and have your photo taken with someone else holding your umbrella, before then going home. It looks and sounds elitist, callous and unfeeling, even if Andrew is personally none of those things.

What I liked about Charles's efforts in Cumbria was, even if he didn't help much in a material sense, this was the second time Charles had been to flooded Cumbria in as many years. He and Camilla also brought a contribution of food to the homeless and rescued of Ballater in Scotland. It leaves an impression of someone who cares.

I do think that Andrew and the younger royals, the York princesses, Harry, even the Cambridges, could have spent a day or two days up in Yorkshire and Cumbria, helping, even if it was only filling sandbags. These are British people in crisis and needing a hand and able and healthy members of the BRF could have assisted. It would have been worth a thousand comforting words.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
This would have been an excellent opportunity for the York girls to score a huge number of PR brownie points. If they had cut short a holiday in order to go visiting the people of York at this time, a wedding at York Minster would be guaranteed.
Do either of them want to marry at York Minster? Have either of them ever indicated that? The last royal wedding there was the Duke and Duchess of Kent - because she was a Yorkshire girl and for no other reason.

I don't think either of the girls are that interested in marrying there at all. They don't seem to have all that much interest in the place, although some of Beatrice's 12 patronages etc are to do with York.

Even Andrew rarely visits the place.

The idea that the territorial designation has some relevance to the individual royal who holds it isn't born out by the evidence e.g. The Duke of Gloucester didn't marry at Gloucester Cathedral, nor does he even live in Gloucester.

It is a title with no real bearing on the royal concerned. Note that the Duke of Cambridge took nearly 3 years to even make an official visit to that place after being created Duke of Cambridge.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
When people are in crisis, you don't, IMO, go to the place, somewhat disrupt rescue efforts, utter a couple of platitudes and have your photo taken with someone else holding your umbrella, before then going home. It looks and sounds elitist, callous and unfeeling, even if Andrew is personally none of those things.

What I liked about Charles's efforts in Cumbria was, even if he didn't help much in a material sense, this was the second time Charles had been to flooded Cumbria in as many years. He and Camilla also brought a contribution of food to the homeless and rescued of Ballater in Scotland. It leaves an impression of someone who cares.

I do think that Andrew and the younger royals, the York princesses, Harry, even the Cambridges, could have spent a day or two days up in Yorkshire and Cumbria, helping, even if it was only filling sandbags. These are British people in crisis and needing a hand and able and healthy members of the BRF could have assisted. It would have been worth a thousand comforting words.
As it is said..*Actions speak louder then words for words are just that, nothing without something behind them, actions*, so it seems that some royals could care less what happens to the British people during these times when many have lost everything.........not good PR work for the royal family. IMO I think Prince Andrew is a bit of a snob and wants what Andrew wants when Andrew wants something......over the years that is the impression I get of him.

As for his daughters, they are not working members of the firm, they just have a title attached to their name all because their father wanted it that way.....so they live their lives according to what they want to do, and since they are not supported by the taxpayer they in a sense have no obligations to the royal family/firm. It is the media that makes them more then they are.......for the media wants to sell papers, so we can but should not expect them to go to the areas of crisis and help out.

Yet their father should be the first one there filling the sand bags, getting his hands dirty, bringing food and supplies out of his own pocket (I am sure he has enough money to lend a helping hand) and getting down helping the people any way he can with out someone holding an umbrella for him so that he stays dry......a bit of a snob, JMO.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Do either of them want to marry at York Minster? Have either of them ever indicated that? The last royal wedding there was the Duke and Duchess of Kent - because she was a Yorkshire girl and for no other reason.

I don't think either of the girls are that interested in marrying there at all. They don't seem to have all that much interest in the place, although some of Beatrice's 12 patronages etc are to do with York.

Even Andrew rarely visits the place.

The idea that the territorial designation has some relevance to the individual royal who holds it isn't born out by the evidence e.g. The Duke of Gloucester didn't marry at Gloucester Cathedral, nor does he even live in Gloucester.

It is a title with no real bearing on the royal concerned. Note that the Duke of Cambridge took nearly 3 years to even make an official visit to that place after being created Duke of Cambridge.
I have no idea whether they want to marry there or not. miss whirley mentioned the possibility and that was the reason I mentioned it.

As for the territorial designation, I think it darn well should have some relevance to the Royal who holds it otherwise they shouldn't use the name. They are getting a benefit by having the title, and they should take an interest in the place their title is named for, and the people who live there.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

They aren't getting any benefit though from their territorial designation. Nothing extra comes their way because of that designation. Nothing changed other than having a title when they, or their fathers, were given these titles - there is no land or money involved - nothing.

As for them getting involved and getting their hands dirty - when William and Harry did that they were pilloried as a 'stunt' - the royals simply can't win - if they do something like that it is a stunt, if they turn up to give moral support it isn't enough, if they do nothing it is they are unfeeling - they simply can't win.

When Beatrice was born there was no question about her taking the princess title she is entitled by the 1917s LPs. The BRF was riding a huge wave of popularity and having a little princess to go with the two princes was seen as a good thing and when Eugenie came along it was even - two little princesses and two princes.

That the BRF's popularity plummeted in the 1990s and the desire for a smaller royal family came about didn't mean that was the way things were in the late 1980s. As a result of those demands Louise and James have been effectively deprived of the Princess and Prince titles they would have had had the 1990s turned out differently.

The main reason, I suspect, why they didn't accompany Andrew is that the Queen, Charles and William actually don't want them doing anything. It was reported in 2012 that Beatrice wanted to do more for the Jubilee approached William for his support and was turned down. I suppose he wants only Kate as the working royal woman in his generation and as the years go by the York girls will increasingly be nothing more than society flibberty-gibbets as they have been largely sidelined by the power brokers within the family.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirds View Post
As for his daughters, they are not working members of the firm, they just have a title attached to their name all because their father wanted it that way.....so they live their lives according to what they want to do, and since they are not supported by the taxpayer they in a sense have no obligations to the royal family/firm. It is the media that makes them more then they are.......for the media wants to sell papers, so we can but should not expect them to go to the areas of crisis and help out.
This is where noblesse oblige comes in. They are not working royals so they cannot be expected to do such things, but they are of the highest birth, otherwise they wouldn't have the HRH style. They may not have asked for it, but they have it. They are Royal Highnesses and Princesses, and a social obligation comes with that. They may not like it, and may not thank their father for it, but if they choose to keep their styles and titles then they should occasionally do things just because it is right and honourable to do them. And turning up to fill a few sandbags would have been a good way to show they have a sense of the social responsibility that attaches to their rank.

Quote:
Yet their father should be the first one there filling the sand bags, getting his hands dirty, bringing food and supplies out of his own pocket (I am sure he has enough money to lend a helping hand) and getting down helping the people any way he can with out someone holding an umbrella for him so that he stays dry......a bit of a snob, JMO.
Hell, yeah!
Old 01-09-2016, 02:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would have thought that the UK was advanced enough that it actually has the machines to fill sand-bags as we have at the SES here in NSW.

It is also a skill and isn't as easy as it looks - having filled them by hand during SES training some years ago I speak from experience ... but we don't have to do it anymore as we have the machines that fill them at a much faster rate than anyone can do it by hand. However you have to have completed the course to operate the machine - so have the skills - which I doubt that any of the royals have.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Even if they are filled by machine, it seems they still need to be put into place manually. William and Harry moved a few sandbags about in February last year, so some of the younger Royals could pitch in doing that, and it would be good exercise for Andrew. I'd pay to see Andrew shifting sandbags.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post

Well, my post wasn't about the article per se, but about his visit.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Serene Highness

The article is more bothered about the umbrella holding, which does make him look pompous as even his mother the Queen hols her own umbrella. Even if it was only for a moment its a ridiculous photo for Andrew or his staff to post online.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Majesty

I love the way so many people seem to tacitly ignore the statement in the article that the man holding the umbrella was not Andrew's "anything". Sebastian even blithely uses it in his headline and the photo caption speaks of his visit undermined by his brolly man. Yet the main text explains that the man merely offered to hold his umbrella over Andrew as a courtesy and was not a member of Andrew's entourage and certainly not his lackey.

As to the whingeing about him taking two weeks to visit, having lived through a devastating natural disaster, nothing made me angrier than the great and the good slumming it for a photo op! Their presence took vital human resources away from the coalface, so to speak, just to chauffeur them around and provide protection, and at some points even endangering people because they had to be seen in the Red Zone!

What utter and willful hypocrisy to pillory Andrew for not wanting to tie up senior personnel chatting and getting in the way of the relief work!
Old 01-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Andrew's visit was not a single photo opportunity and must have taken time to organise as his visit covered a range of venues and people - Royals do not go on official visits immediately there is a crisis. Their visits would be disruptive and I think Marg is right in her post above (# 157)

There are times when he deserves criticism - this isn't one of them IMO

For the record - here is the official version of what he did from the CC

7th January

The Duke of York today visited West and North Yorkshire to see the impact of the recent floods on homes and local businesses and to meet those affected.

His Royal Highness this morning visited flood affected factories in Kirkstall Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire.

The Duke of York afterwards attended a briefing on the flooding, at Leeds Civic Hall and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of West Yorkshire (Dr Ingrid Roscoe).

His Royal Highness this afternoon met members of the local community in Tadcaster, North Yorkshire.

The Duke of York afterwards met representatives from the emergency services, York City Council and The Yorkshire Regiment in York who have been involved in the flood relief.

His Royal Highness later visited residents and business people in Todmorden, West Yorkshire.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-09-2016, 10:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Exactly - he didn't just go to one place affected but to several. However being Andrew even if he had been there on Day 1 and personally loaded sandbags and rescued people and property 24/7 with no rest at all he would still be pilloried for a) not doing enough b) taking up resources c) any other reason people can think of.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't believe that at all. I think he would have received praise. Save the platitudes and meetings of rescue personnel for another time.

I'm old enough to remember the disaster at Aberfan in Wales and how a young Charles wanted to go and help the rescue attempt, begged but wasn't allowed. I still think it was a huge opportunity missed to bond with the Welsh people.