The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2016, 04:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
This is starting to get serious and it is damaging to the monarchy.
It won't damage the monarchy. I have British friends who I speak with now and again. Some time ago, in regarding to the Virginia Roberts allegations, I was told Andrew has fallen so low in the opinion of the public well before this that it won't matter. At the time I was told the big question people had with Andrew is how he managed to afford the Swiss chalet. I don't think these allegations are a surprise or a shock.

The only thing that could damage the monarchy is the monarchy's reaction to a demand for a serious investigation. I can understand the Queen's desire to protect a favorite son. I think you mentioned it a few posts ago, I'm more worried about her health than anything else. She does not deserve this.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Courtier

Part of the reason Andrew gets away with things is because people lost respect for him a long time ago. It sounds like it could be picking up speed and while he might be the Queens favourite it has been rumoured for just as long he isn't Charles. I won't be surprised if Andrews wings get clipped in a serious way when Charles takes the throne. I don't think it would matter that much. He has the Privy Councel etc because of where he is ranked in the family not because he is this amazing Royal. I feel so bad for the Queen Andrew has been warned before he had his role taken off him but he seems to be doing pretty much the same thing just without the title and it seems he is making money of it which if true is a real problem for the Family they are supposed to be unbiased. How has Andrew afforded his lifestyle? He pays the rent for the girls, protection, looks after fergie, bought a Villa which seems way out of his price range cause lets not pretend Sarah put any money towards it. Don't be surprised if there is an official investigation and has he been paying tax and declaring his earnnings etc? Things could get way worse before they get better. I feel so sorry for the Queen and The Duke they deserve time just to relax not have yet another cloud over the family caused by a York.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

We shouldn't forget that The Queen is a very wealthy woman who has probably set up sizeable trust funds for her younger three children.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

For some people though, a lot is never enough to lead the sort of lifestyle they want.
Regardless of Andrew's present reputation, which is very very low among those who take any notice of him, I think there should be a public inquiry into his business dealings. The British public deserves transparency. Let the cards fall where they will. If there's an inquiry and Andrew is exonerated, fine. If it's proved that he has been involved in underhand dealings then everyone will know the truth, and he can retire completely from public life in disgrace, and face whatever other penalties come his way. The fact that Andrew is the Queen's son shouldn't matter at all.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
For some people though, a lot is never enough to lead the sort of lifestyle they want.
Regardless of Andrew's present reputation, which is very very low among those who take any notice of him, I think there should be a public inquiry into his business dealings. The British public deserves transparency. Let the cards fall where they will. If there's an inquiry and Andrew is exonerated, fine. If it's proved that he has been involved in underhand dealings then everyone will know the truth, and he can retire completely from public life in disgrace, and face whatever other penalties come his way. The fact that Andrew is the Queen's son shouldn't matter at all.
I totally agree with all of what you've said here especially where you stated that Andrew's position by birth as son of the monarch doesn't matter. In a lot of other "scandals" pertaining to Andrew and the Yorks, its mostly been allegations that he "may" have been involved (as with Epstein and the parties ad nauseum). With what has come out now, he is specifically cited as having dealing that may or may not have been legit or in the interest of the UK or even that he was doing business deals to line his own pockets.

The only answer I can see is that if Andrew is clear of any misdoings, he needs to, as you say, be transparent. If he is hiding behind mummy's apron strings, it will just be another case where the public believes Andrew is bigger, brighter and better in his own mind because he's a "royal" and his reputation takes another fast slide down to the sewers once again.

I do agree that HM and the DoE do not need this aggravation and to be honest, I do hope they practice a little "tough love" on their kid and let him dig himself out if he needs to do so.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

See the thing is, did he break the law? I have no idea because after reading a paragraph my mind goes numb., it's so boring. I agree he shouldn't be allowed to get away with things because he's the Queen's son but he shouldn't be subjected to witch hunts just because the tabloids don't like him.

If he got himself a sweet deal and it was legal, well good for him. I'm sure lawyers are going over it with a fine tooth comb.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

The question in my mind is the type of MP calling for investigation. We all know one is a staunch republican, so of course he would call for one. Who are the others? Again, this in my mind is the major issue. Whether or not he engaged in wrongdoing is almost secondary. The transparency of the monarchy is of primary importance and their willingness to respond to reasonable requests for investigation.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Majesty

If MPs from various viewpoints call for an investigation, then we'll know it's really serious. Prince Andrew could have done something that's legal, but that doesn't make it ethical. Even the appearance of conflict-of-interest has to be avoided by someone in his position. IMO if he retires from public life, he can do all the wheeling-and-dealing he likes so long as it's legal. However, when he's publicly representing the monarchy, which he presently does, that's a different matter.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Serene Highness

Even if he didn't break the law I as a British taxpayer would love to know why a member of the taxpayer funded Royal Family was helping two foreign companies set up a deal with no apparent benefit to the British economy. There are plenty of British businesses that need support rather than foreign ones. I think many people rightly question the lifestyle of the Duke, ues he probably has a trust fund but then so would Anne and Edward and they dont seem to have enough cash to buy £13million ski chalets
Old 05-23-2016, 05:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
The question in my mind is the type of MP calling for investigation. We all know one is a staunch republican, so of course he would call for one. Who are the others? Again, this in my mind is the major issue. Whether or not he engaged in wrongdoing is almost secondary. The transparency of the monarchy is of primary importance and their willingness to respond to reasonable requests for investigation.
The problem with that is defining 'reasonable'.

Some people would see this situation as a 'reasonable request' but then the next person may want to see where specifically the money came from to pay for the refurbishment of Anmer Hall - saying 'private' isn't enough and then others would argue that every single penny that the royals spend would be a reasonable request to have accounted for.

What is 'reasonable'?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The problem with that is defining 'reasonable'.

Some people would see this situation as a 'reasonable request' but then the next person may want to see where specifically the money came from to pay for the refurbishment of Anmer Hall - saying 'private' isn't enough and then others would argue that every single penny that the royals spend would be a reasonable request to have accounted for.

What is 'reasonable'?
Usually a judicial body, or quasi-judicial body makes such a determination as to what is reasonable, done on a case-by-case basis.

Your argument forms the basis of why certain groups are afforded immunity - we recognize a group can commit a wrongdoing but for various reasons we as a society won't investigate or impose a penalty. Harm to the institution itself is one of those reasons. However, while I suppose the Queen has such immunity, I'm not sure about her family. Perhaps they enjoy a de facto immunity.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:24 AM
Administrator

The Duke of York as Patron of the Jubilee Sailing Trust attended a reception at HMS PRESIDENT in London on May 25 to mark the 30th anniversary of the tall ship Lord Nelson:

** fb gallery: Lord Nelson's 30th Anniversary **
Old 05-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Even if he didn't break the law I as a British taxpayer would love to know why a member of the taxpayer funded Royal Family was helping two foreign companies set up a deal with no apparent benefit to the British economy. There are plenty of British businesses that need support rather than foreign ones. I think many people rightly question the lifestyle of the Duke, ues he probably has a trust fund but then so would Anne and Edward and they dont seem to have enough cash to buy £13million ski chalets
Maybe they have enough to buy such a chalet but would prefer to spend their money on horses or other things while Andrew chose a home for his ex-wife nd daughters.

Just because Anne and Edward don't appear to flash the cash doesn't mean they don't have it.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:44 AM
Aristocracy

Prince Andrew, The Duke of York, visits Estonia as a guest of Prime Minister Taavi Rõivas and the keynote speaker of technology conference Latitude59.

Prince Andrew and Taavi Rõivas visited the Pelgulinna Gymnasium today, on May 31, where students demonstrated their programming skills on Raspberry Pi mini-computers.
Link with photos:
FOTOD: Peaminister Rõivas ja prints Andrew külastasid Raspberry Pi arvutitunde Pelgulinna gümnaasiumis - DELFI
Old 06-16-2016, 02:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Andrew is an inspiration to Britain’s young entrepreneurs
Old 06-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

HRH The Duke of York attends 32nd RCEL Conference service of remembrance in Malaysia.

Belga

http://portal.belgaimage.be/editorial/coverage/5501918
Old 06-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Administrator

The Duke of York in Kuala Lumpur today, June 27:

** gettyimages gallery: MYS: Britain's Prince Andrew pays a visit to the Malaysian science community **
Old 07-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of York, representing the Queen, and Chancellor George Osborne, were among the 1,000 guests including military representatives, UK ambassadors and high commissioners representing the combatant nations for a moving commemoration service at Manchester Cathedral.

Read more: Service at Manchester Cathedral for Battler of Somme | Granada - ITV News
Old 07-03-2016, 03:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Andrew tried to broker sale of Crown properties for Kazakh oligarch | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Courtier

This is getting worse and worse I can't see how there can't be some sort of Enquiry. He seems to be using his role as a Royal envoy for his own personal gain which isn't what it is about. It is looking very shady.