Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 7: Feb 2015 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are too busy with footy finals to be excited about Andrew. I think you might agree Curryong [emoji2]

We are too busy with footy finals to be excited about Andrew. I think you might agree Curryong [emoji2]

Yes, these footy finals are especially exciting to me, as it's the first time my team's been there for about thirty years. Perhaps he could drop in and see some real football played, not that soccer stuff, lol!

Yes, these footy finals are especially exciting to me, as it's the first time my team's been there for about thirty years. Perhaps he could drop in and see some real football played, not that soccer stuff, lol!

Yep agree. But hope he doesn't think the grandfinal parade is for him
Curryong our teams might meet on the MCG ..on that one day in September [emoji847]

Not expecting to see Prince Andrew! :lol: but that "one day in September" is today in Ireland. It's All Ireland Football Final day and it's last one out turn off the lights for Mayo as they head east to take on Dublin at Croker! ?

Some golf courses near those locations might be getting a visit perhaps?
\

It's a tough job but someone has to be brave enough to face those 18 holes on behalf of the Commonwealth golfers. ;)

I'm no especial fan of the Duke of York, but I daresay he wastes less time on the Golf course than either the present, or previous President of the United States [who actually have/had a Nation to manage]...

Most Presidents have played golf; it's really the only time they get fresh air and exercise; they have far less freedom and free time than ordinary people, even royals.

Yes, I agree with your points. The Duke of York often seems to get headlines for the "wrong" reasons, because the media loves a scandal. However, he has always done his full share of royal work. I'm old enough to remember the days when he was as glamorous a figure as Prince Harry is today, with a war record and a lot of female fans. He was a popular figure on royal tours as well. :flowers:

He has always done more duties than people realise. He has been the third or fourth hardest working member of the family for years (Edward was ahead last year due to the 60th anniversary of the DoE Awards scheme that saw him do over 100 for that organisation which isn't normal).

People are going to assume that whenever a 'minor' royal does something it is 'stepping up' to help the Queen when they are simply doing what they have always done in terms of numbers and types of engagements.

He was a pilot during the Falklands War, quite active service I believe and carried on a career for some years in that or similiar field. So yes, Harry has mirrored him to a certain, but not the same extent. I think he can come across as a bit aloof so unlike Harry there.

But unfortunately it is only the scandal making headlines that catch the eye, not the day to day engagements carried out. The break-up of the York marriage, ahead of the already there but not so out there War of the Wales saga set the scene for years to come. Yet, this has to be the most amicable divorce in royal or close to circles. Which has to say something.

If you look at early photos, Andrew was as happy and care-free as Harry, a bit of a lad no less. But he was always smiling and that stopped with the divorce . . . sort of.

The only really happy photos of him are with his daughters or with Sarah. Otherwise he has a pretty dour look about him. As to all those that whinge about golf, like it or lump it, trade deals etc. are often settled on the links, and Andrew brokered more than a few!

The last day of the Gary Player Classic at the Brisbane Golf Club is the 22nd, which coincides with Andrew's visit to Brisbane. Maybe he'll present the trophies. The GP Classic is for young up and coming golfers looking to make a name and break into the tour.

Well Andrew was today at the murdoch children's research center a place very close to my heart so I will give him 10 out of 10 today. I didn't know he was going there. It's on the news so hopefully it brings a little more knowledge about what it does.

I'm really happy to hear that Andrew is getting some positive coverage about what he is actually there to do. There has been too much focus, in my opinion. on the negatives around Andrew. In reality, if one looks at the court circular and the work that Andrew does do, its far more than playing golf or flying and accumulating air miles and definitely more newsworthy than his relationship with his ex-wife.

I think the general public pays way too much attention to tabloid headlines instead of actually looking at the facts of what a person does.

Prince Andrew in Australia

Court Circular 18th September:
The Duke of York this evening arrived in Melbourne, Australia, and was subsequently received at Government House by the Hon. Linda Dessau (Governor of Victoria).
Mrs. Amanda Thirsk, Captain Edward Monckton and Mr. David Pogson are in attendance.

Court Circular 19th September:
The Duke of York this morning laid a wreath at the Shrine of Remembrance in Birdwood Avenue, Melbourne, Australia.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited Murdoch Children's Research Institute, the Royal Children's Hospital, 50 Flemington Road, Parkville.

The Duke of York this afternoon called upon the Hon. Linda Dessau (Governor of Victoria) at Government House, Melbourne.

Court Circular 20th September:
The Duke of York this morning visited the Myer Family Company, 171 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, and presented Royal Institution of Australia Honorary Bragg Memberships.

His Royal Highness, Founder, Pitch@Palace, this afternoon attended Pitch@Palace on Tour for entrepreneurs and potential supporters at Government House, Melbourne.

The Duke of York later received the Hon. Daniel Andrews (Premier of Victoria) at Government House, Melbourne.

His Royal Highness was entertained to a State Dinner at Government House this evening by the Hon. Linda Dessau (Governor of Victoria).

I personally see nothing wrong with Andrew playing and enjoying golf. I don't know why that has become a negative with regard to him, outside of the optics of the occasional helicopter to get to a course.

I honestly see it no different then polo for his nephews. They all have hobbies.

He is patron of a number of golf clubs and associations as well.

Even if he laid off flying a helicopter there it wouldn't help him. He has a reputation for being lazy and just golfing. In reality its because the press ignores most of the work he actually does. He could triple his engagements and people would call him lazy because he gets no press attention for work. Like his daughters, his work only gets attention when it can be spun into a holiday or some other kid of story.

Andrew often visits commonwealth countries, like Canada as he is very involved with our military, but gets no attention for it.

Just as he is currently in Australia for a 'whirlwind' visit that will see him here for nearly two weeks but ... there is no coverage in reality here at all of the visit.

His problem is two-fold at least

1) he doesn't have a wife so the reporters can't write endless stories about her wardrobe
2) he is disliked for his own actions - whether warranted or not is another issue - he has behaved like many other second sons/children but he has been villified almost since the day he married Fergie

Edward is much the same - hardly gets any coverage unless he is with Sophie. People would be surprised to see how little Sophie does in comparison to either of these princes - or even William and Harry - but she is often in the media and so people assume she is doing a lot more than she actually is.

NB I will be putting up an 'update on engagements' this weekend but it will be one update covering August to September (sorry I got behind and so won't be putting up a 'week-by-week for those 7 or so weeks but one full one and then back to weekly to the end of the year).

Court Circular 21st September:
The Duke of York today visited the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, 124 la Trobe Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

His Royal Highness was received this evening upon arrival at Government House, Brisbane, by the Hon. Paul de Jersey (Governor of Queensland).

Prince Andrew has toured Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance and visited the Royal Children's Hospital during day one of his visit to the city.
Prince Andrew visits Melbourne shrine

Royal visit: Prince Andrew visits sick kids at Royal Children’s Hospital
No Cookies | Herald Sun

Prince Andrew has launched the Australian semi-final of his global competition for budding entrepreneurs.
Prince Andrew's leg up for entrepreneurs | SBS News

His Royal Highness, The Prince Andrew, Duke of York has toured RMIT’s City campus, meeting students and staff.
https://www.rmit.edu.au/news/all-news/2017/sep/royal-seal-of-approval

Prince Andrew the Duke of York visits the Gold Coast and meets royal fans
No Cookies | Gold Coast Bulletin

The Duke of York is the first royal to visit the Gold Coast in 50 years
No Cookies | Gold Coast Bulletin

:previous:

Thanks a lot for the update, Spheno!

Today, September 23, the Duke of York made a tour of Brisbane start-up and innovation hub The Precinct:

** rex gallery **

The Duke of York did a reading during a church service at St John's Cathedral in Brisbane today, September 24:

** rex gallery **

Court Circular 23rd September:
-missing from the website

Court Circular 24th September:
The Duke of York this morning attended Holy Communion in St. John's Anglican Cathedral, Ann Street, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited Queensland Art Gallery, Stanley Place, Brisbane.

Court Circular 25th September:
The Duke of York this morning opened the Incubator at Macquarie University, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

His Royal Highness, Founder, Pitch@Palace, this afternoon attended Pitch@Palace on Tour for entrepreneurs and potential supporters at Macquarie University.

The Duke of York, Founder, Pitch@Palace, this evening attended a Dinner at The Australian Club, Macquarie Street, Sydney.

Newsroom Duke of York officially opens Macquarie University Incubator for entrepreneurs and start-ups - Macquarie University
https://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/med...for-macquarie-university-innovation-incubator

Court Circular 26th September:
The Duke of York this morning visited Wollongong Town Hall and the Arts Precinct, Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia.

His Royal Highness later visited the University of Wollongong.

The Duke of York, Founder, Pitch@Palace, this morning attended Pitch@Palace Bootcamp for entrepreneurs and potential supporters at the University of Wollongong.

Prince launches program for 'brilliant minds' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Prince Andrew wins over new Wollongong fans during visit | Illawarra Mercury
High praise from Prince Andrew after Wollongong business competition | Illawarra Mercury

Court Circular 27th September:
The Duke of York today carried out the following engagements in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

His Royal Highness, Executive Chairman, the Outward Bound Trust, this morning attended a Reception for Outward Bound Australia, 5 Martin Place.

The Duke of York, Founder, Pitch@Palace, this afternoon attended a Lunch for supporters of Pitch@Palace Australia at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, 61-101 Phillip Street.

His Royal Highness later visited St. Vincent's Hospital, 390 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst.

The Duke of York this evening attended a Reception for supporters of St. Vincent Curran Foundation, Sydney Cricket Ground, Moore Park Road.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/37239644/prince-andrew-visits-sydney/
Duke of York in Sydney for royal visit - 9News

Court Circular 28th September:
The Duke of York today carried out the following engagements in New South Wales, Australia.

His Royal Highness, Vice Admiral, Royal Navy, this morning visited HMAS ALBATROSS, Nowra, and met members of 808 Squadron, Royal Australian Navy.

The Duke of York, Vice Admiral, Royal Navy, later visited training at HMAS WATSON, Watson's Point, Sydney.

His Royal Highness, Vice Admiral, Royal Navy, this afternoon visited the Company of HMAS HOBART.

The Duke of York, Founder, Pitch@Palace, this evening attended the final of Pitch@Palace Australia for entrepreneurs and potential supporters at Government House, Sydney.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/37259219/prince-andrew-continues-sydney-visit/

Prince Andrew in Oman

Court Circular 29th September:
The Duke of York this morning departed from Kingsford Smith International Airport, Sydney, Australia, for Oman and was received this afternoon upon arrival at Muscat Airport by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Sultanate of Oman (His Excellency Mr. Hamish Cowell).

His Royal Highness this evening attended a Dinner given by His Highness Sayyid Faisal bin Turki Al Said at the Royal Officer Club, Muscat.

Talent training spot amid sand dunes
Talent training spot amid sand dunes | Oman Tribune

Outward Bound Oman (OBO) has completed its first national training centre in the Sharqiya Sands and proposes to set up two more to hone the corporate talents of youth.
At a programme to celebrate the completion of the first centre under the auspices of Minister of Culture and Heritage HH Sayyid Haitham Bin Tariq Al Said and Outward Bound Oman Patron HH Sayyid Faisal Bin Turki Al Said and Duke of York Prince Andrew, a memorandum of understanding between Outward Bound Oman and Penn State University was signed.

Oman Cricket, MCC join hands to ensure world-class infrastructure - Muscat Daily
HRH Prince Andrew, Duke of York, as the Guest of Honour, and His Highness Sayyid Haitham bin Tariq Al Said, Patron-in-Chief of Oman Cricket, visited the Al Amerat Oman Cricket ground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom