Options for Sarah to recover from the 'Cash for Access' scandal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a degree and a "business course." In some ways the business/secretarial course was harder because of the sheer volume of work involved and the technical precision necessary. It was also the business course that got me a full-time job.:) Sarah has said that she has tremendous energy, which doesn't surprise me. Had she not married Andrew and instead followed a career using her skills, she could possibly have done very well for herself. The business course gets a person "in the door", and higher professional development then follows if the person is ambitious and wants it.

The idea that she is lazy and someone who lives off others is a remarkable spin the media has successfully engineered (I guess, who else would it be?) because in no way has she been anything but enterprising, hardworking and creative.

I think Sarah can be hard-working and enterprising - but perhaps about the wrong projects?

You are referring to the scandal, of course. Prior to that moment - which was a set-up and which she appears to not have seen as what it was (perhaps because she was tipsy, yes, but the point is it was a set-up and she apparently did not see what was happening as what was happening) - Sarah was a woman running an aggressive company with staff and you name it. She was a successful business woman - regardless what the British public fancied she was doing over here in the US. Sarah is like the youngest child in a family who can never get out from under the family 'role' of being spoiled, having it easier than the older kids in the family, momma always liked you best - you know the drill.

Hopefully she really did learn from the process undergone in 'Finding Sarah' that she should ignore what people think and say about her - just forge on, happy. As the psychologist said - one doesn't have to accept what people write on the slate of who one is.

BTW, I have never been a Sarah fan - or anti-fan. Totally neutral reaction to her over the years. Never interested me. So maybe all you know more - and know better - than me. I do know her history, though not in detail. I hate cruelty, though - and I do know that there is cruelty afoot and I hate seeing that. I think it was tacky that she wasn't invited to William's and Kate's wedding, for example. The BRF continues to make errors of humanity IMO.

Last edited:
I will agree that people can appear to be cruel to Sarah and it does seem like she doesn't get a break and held to a higher standard.....well the truth is Sarah has gotten a LOT of breaks and she is being held to a higher standard because of the breaks she has gotten.

I have followed Sarah since her engagement announcement, and like many I considered her to be a breath of fresh air and have stood by her as she weathered her many scandals. And defended her I might add. The problem is that Sarah hasn't learned from her many scandals (i.e. Steve Wyatt, John Bryant, the bank overdraft, accusations of trading off her royal name). I defended her because frankly who am I to hold a grudge against her if her husband (now ex husband) has forgiven her. Also, she didn't get a fabulous divorce settlement but it was on par with Andrew's salary as Andrew unlike Charles is not (or at least wasn't at the time) independently wealthy. Say what you want about Sarah but both she and Andrew raised two pretty smart young ladies. She had to work to clear her debts and frankly, her using her title wasn't an issue to me because let's face it she wasn't going to get a regular 9 to 5 job that was going to pay enough to pay her bank overdraft (at the divorce it was rumoured to be 2 to 3 million pounds which is about 4 to 5 million dollars in bank overdraft fees) , and most of her business dealings were in the US and she didn't use her title in her business dealings to embarass the Queen, etc.

I, like Andrew stood by Sarah thru thick and thin because I liked her. So she worked and paid off all of her debts. That in itself to me was commendable. And I understood that SOME of her recent financial issues were a result of the global financial crisis. The other part of it was just plain living outside of her means. But at some point enough is enough and Sarah needs to take responsiblity for her actions. And let's face it, until recently she talked a good game but did not. Whether or not the Cash for Access was a trap or not is irrelevant IMO. Whether she was not well or whatever, she should have not tried to sell access to Andrew. Yes, I know she was desparate but really how could she jeopardize his position and his name after all he has done for her? I am sorry there is no excuse for that, and that was when I was done with her.

As for the wedding, part of me doesn't blame William for not inviting her...I actually think she was on the potential list of invites until her most recent scandal. So she is not invited and she is still talking about it. But here's the thing, Sarah has admitted in previous interviews that she hasn't spoken to William and Harry in over five years. I actually think she said the last time she spoke to the boys was 95 or something like that. We don't know the specifics on why she and the boys haven't maintained a relationship since Diana's death. But did she really expect to be invited after not talking to them in over 10 years? Who can tell..in one interview its alleged that she wasn't expecting an invitation and in another she is hurt that she wasn't invited.

So do you invite someone who used to be a member of your family (and for the record I consider exes to still be an extended member of ones family depending on the relationships and how the spilt went down) but you haven't spoken to in ten years and caused unnecessary negative publicity to your wedding? Do you do that? This Cash for Access scandal made headlines not just in the UK but all over the world. So much unnecessary publicity that the British public (and the tabloid media) and governmental officials are questioning whether or not Andrew should continue in his Trade position. I don't think so.

Now I will finish this by saying that in some respects Sarah has certainly gotten a raw deal: the British press has been merciless and cruel in their coverage of her (and her daughters) as it relates to their weight and fashion sense. In some respect she can NEVER do anything right by them. It was not and is not cool that she was NOT expected to spend the Christmas holidays with her daughters (and yes, she was at the Cottage and they were at the Big House...sorry its not the same things) since her separation and divorce but in defence of the BRF they never really have had to deal with divorced parents before so they didn't know how to handle the situation (Margaret's children were older when Margaret and Tony divorced).

I think that some of the frustration that is voiced on this board (let's be honest there will always be people who are anti Sarah) is because a lot of people (like me) are just tired. Tired of defending Sarah. Tired of explaining her actions.

Personally I was a bit upset about the scandal because I thought it ruined any chance of Andrew and Sarah getting back together (we don't need to go into detail about that). I want Sarah to succeed. I don't think she is a malicious person I just think she needs to accept responsibility for her actions and think about the consequences of things before she does them.

Like it or not, Sarah is not going to just fade away (who will the British press have to kick around if she goes away), she is the mother of two of the Queen's granddaughters. I hope this Finding Sarah series helps Sarah find peace. I want her to find a nice medium (and a job) where she can support herself while doing the charity work she loves (and frankly is pretty good at). I want the Sarah that Andrew (and some of us) fell for in 1986- fun, lively and just a little bit more cautious about looking before she leaps.

Last edited:
Maybe there is an inside pact between the queen and Sarah; I doubt that the queen will just give her the money without demanding some kind of behaviour from Sarah.
:flowers: I too hope there is a "contract" - like a confidentiality agreement, so that Sarah can no longer publicly talk about her former Royal life or her connections, for her sake Her Majesty's sake and for her Daughters!
Good Luck - I hope she is quietly going to live without the limelight
xoxos

I too hope there is a "contract" - like a confidentiality agreement, so that Sarah can no longer publicly talk about her former Royal life or her connections, for her sake Her Majesty's sake and for her Daughters!

For the sake of all that is holy I hope so. She needs to let that part of her life go. As for her options, she could try her hand at being a romance novelist. It's a huge industry and she would end up making a mint from books sales alone if she's successful; then she could end up selling the rights to movies and she could sell the rights for a miniseries and then the residuals from the royalties could leave her wiht more than a snug enough income.

:flowers: I too hope there is a "contract" - like a confidentiality agreement, so that Sarah can no longer publicly talk about her former Royal life or her connections, for her sake Her Majesty's sake and for her Daughters!

Can you clarify this for me? As far as I am aware Sarah has never spoken about the RF, and in fact whenever asked she has always been discreet and respectful. Has this been otherwise at some point in time? Because I am not aware of it. Are you confusing Sarah with Diana?

Sarah has recently been discussing her own life - no one owns her life story - its her right to discuss her biography. That's all she has done - as far as I know. Correct me if I am in error please.

She needs to let that part of her life go.

How can she do that when she is very much involved with her daughters and always will be, as well as her ex-husband as their father. Sarah is not 'going away'. Nor should she. She has a right to her life.

Now I will finish this by saying that in some respects Sarah has certainly gotten a raw deal: the British press has been merciless and cruel in their coverage of her (and her daughters) as it relates to their weight and fashion sense. In some respect she can NEVER do anything right by them.

Like it or not, Sarah is not going to just fade away (who will the British press have to kick around if she goes away), she is the mother of two of the Queen's granddaughters.

Zonk, thank you for your informative post. :flowers:

Last edited:
She should have been invited to William and Kate's wedding. Why?
She was an ex aunt, ex friend of a dead mother, caused a lot of pain to the family,
seems to embarrass them at every move and is living off her ex husband between lucrative schemes and must cause their beloved grandmother continuous grief.
The uncle, officially divorced and single, came with his two daughters the bridegroom's cousin and I think that was quite enough.

Sarah actually already wrote a biography and just going by some of the snippets and what she has said herself it is different this time around. Her mother was wonderful and amazing first time around her father the same. This time around with both parents gone Sarah has talked of being abused....her sister by the way who lives here in Oz doesn't remember their childhood the same way but being a good sister said she is sure that is what Sarah believes. I have also read several of her interviews where she back peddles and says it is a mistake that things she said were misunderstood. Sarah has at times gotten a bad deal, but she also has bought several things on herself. The affairs, her major overspending, crying poor then showing up at first class vacation spots and the most recent cash scandel. Which if she didn't set up and agree with in the first place wouldn't have happened. You can blame the tabloid all you want but Sarah wanted to do it! I can't blame William for not inviting her to his wedding it was also to stop the focus being away from Kate. Having Sarah would have been distracting and caused all sorts of rumours. Besides she hasn't seen William for over 10 years at least there was no reason why she would have gone she hasn't gone to any of the other weddings and until her girls wed won't be.

I too hope there is a "contract" - like a confidentiality agreement, so that Sarah can no longer publicly talk about her former Royal life or her connections, for her sake Her Majesty's sake and for her Daughters!
:)***Tyger***:)
Can you clarify this for me? As far as I am aware Sarah has never spoken about the RF, and in fact whenever asked she has always been discreet and respectful. Has this been otherwise at some point in time? Because I am not aware of it. Are you confusing Sarah with Diana?
:previous:
Please note that I stated "talk about her former Royal life" and "for her sake, her majesty's sake and for her daughters".
Not 'talk about the RF (Royal Family)' ... Her former Royal life.
Please also refer to my previous posts and you will find that I am a huge fan of Sarah's and want her to be happy - I believe she feels the need to prove herself and that is sad to me. I would like her to act more discreetly and live quietly, then on Events -like her daughters' weddings, special birthdays etc, people will be happy to see her - this would then give her some positive coverage that will finally prove to her that she is loved by many.
While she speaks publicly (i.e. Dr Phil. Oprah), she is re-opening the past is such a public way that, intended or not, will only bring embarrassment to her family - think her Daughters!
If it is true that she is to receive financial support as part of a deal, I could think of nothing better for all concerned.
Sarah's finances under control.
The BRF not facing any further publicity due to Sarah speaking about Her life as a former Royal.
Beatrice & Eugenie not having to read or see what Mum has said again!
:)
The problem with typing is that the reader has to "assume" the tone with which it was written; I believe you completely mistook my tone - so I will try not to be offended by yours.
Sincerely a friend of "Fergie"
xoxos:flowers:

**(...- possibly - I am spinning. Its a scenario - but total speculation on my part based on something someone said on these threads that got me thinking)***
Um - & I had to explain my thoughts, I feel foolish now.:whistling:

She should have been invited to William and Kate's wedding. Why?
She was an ex aunt, ex friend of a dead mother, caused a lot of pain to the family,
seems to embarrass them at every move and is living off her ex husband between lucrative schemes and must cause their beloved grandmother continuous grief.
The uncle, officially divorced and single, came with his two daughters the bridegroom's cousin and I think that was quite enough.
Absolutely.
The Grooms Uncle and Cousins were invited and seated in places of honor according their rank.
Perfectly perfect.
:flowers:

Rather than take the 'Current Affairs thread' OT, I thought that I would post a bit of background information here in order to develop something that AristoCat said:

In countless biographies, it states how Sarah hung out with a set of people that were wealthier, prettier, and had more connections. While they paid their own way in the VIP life, she had to work as a chalet girl to pay for her stays at skiing lodges and was basically, socially, the 'poor relation.'

I first came across the then-Sarah Fegusson a long time before she had hooked up with Prince Andrew. She was at a Polo Match and was 'all over' the then Lady Diana Spencer, who was engaged but not yet married - this would have been around May 1981. Let me tell you something about this world:

The world of professional polo is a jet-set one; Polo teams are divided into various levels, with the best known as 'High Goal', who are financed by enormously wealthy 'Patrons' as they are known. These Patrons are usually very, very wealthy businessmen [hardly ever female]. The Patrons hire the top players to play in their teams - they are wealthy professionals, who can earn as much as $500,000 for a few short weeks' play in the UK - the summer polo season starts in May and finishes this week so far as the UK is concerned, before the jet set teams move off further afield: Deauville in France and then the United States, before going off to the Argentine.

High Goal polo is enormously expensive. It is a world of private planes [Patrons sometimes own planes the size of 747s, fitted out with vast bedroom suites and bathrooms with Jacuzzis etc]. When they move around the world, they live in the most extraordinarary luxury - the late Kerry Packer [Australian Tycoon] was a polo patron - in the summer in England he took over a whole floor in the Savoy hotel and also bought a vast polo estate costing about £20,000,000 in Sussex, England. Polo players are also provided with cars by their patrons - Ferraris, Porsches etc etc. Except that they all have Helicopters at their disposal, in the same way that your Diarist has her bicycle!! The polo parties are impossible to describe - the lavish food and drink and vintage champagne. My husband and I have been invited to a few such do's [somehow!!] and even though I went along well-prepared [or so I thought] for it so be out of this world, even then I was taken aback by venues transformed into the most amazing 'sets'.

Polo Patrons [who are often in their very late 50's or 60's] always have very beautiful women on their arms - often second or third wives. They always tend to marry beautiful models, sometimes of the 'aristocratic model type rather than just the super-model type. These women - stick thin and blonde - are clad in the most expensive designer clothes [very much more 'showy' than the 'quiet couture tastes' of the Queen and the British Royal family] and their jewels are Cartier, Bulgari, Harry Winston etc. Diamonds flash and sparkel from their wrists, fingers, ears, necks etc. Professional Polo Players' wives are often similarly attired. They say in the world of Polo the only winter clothes you need are ski-wear! Otherwise you follow the sun as you stop off at jet-set destinations all around the world.....

Sarah Fergusson was known as 'Fergie', and very unkindly, also known as 'Fat Fergie'. And she stuck out like a sore thumb - this is not meant to sound unkind but she did not look that attractive in those days [Royal life did change her dress and grooming!]. She was an American Size 16, wore droopy chain-store print summer dresses and her ginger hair and very-freckled face made her stand out like a sore thumb alongside these beauties. What was Sarah doing there, then? The answer was of course that she was always with her father, Major Ron, [confusingly also referred to as 'Fergie' by many people, which was probably why poor Sarah was also known as 'Fat Fergie', so that you knew whether people were referring to the father or the daughter!!] who filled a rather strange self-created and unpaid role as Prince Charles's Polo Manager. This basically consisted of co-ordinating the PoW's diary to ensure that he could play in polo matches and making sure that the PoW's horses were always ready and waiting in the pony lines [place where polo ponies wait at the side of the polo field]. This Royal connection was much traded on by Sarah who, by turning up with her father, was 'admitted into the rich world of 1980's polo'. She has of course also been around the polo scene as a child and for the same reasons, but the late 1970's and 1980's were the particularly relevent times, as by then Sarah was forging her own social life.

Whilst Sarah's 'Royal Connections' brought her admittance to this inner-sanctum of wealth, it is perhaps telling that no one was interested in dating her. That aside, Sarah seemed pretty astute in looking for 'useful connections' herself. She befriended Diana, often a bored spectator at these matches, there to support the PoW. I noticed later how Diana always used to say that the press photographers made her time at Polo difficult - perhaps, but the real problem I am sure was that Diana had no interest in Polo or horses.

I next remember noticing Sarah in the winter when she was in Verbier, the 'jet set' ski resort. She used to frequent 'The Farm Club', a hideously over-priced nightclub popular with the rich Euro jet set. [you bought your own bottle of Scotch for $400 and it was kept behind the bar, and it was full of empty tables marked 'reserved' so you could never sit down]. I hated the pretension of the place.] It was the haunt of Paddy McNally too, although initially, from memory, Sarah was dating the well-connected [but not vastly wealthy] Englishmen Kim Smith-Bingham. Later, when Sarah was an item with McNally, I remember her particularly because of how she always 'stuck out'. The wealthy European jet-setters all seemed to be dating beautiful stick-thin models - who themselves were all quite rich from their modelling - and also welcome at the best parties because of the cachet their beauty and professions provided. They all wore designer clothes in those expensive hues of blue green and lilac and with gold and silver and designer bags. On the night in question that I particularl remember, Sarah was wearing vast black leather jeans teamed with [presumably in an attempt to be feminine] a chiffon-y lacey blouse of the type a Mummy might buy for her young Sloan Ranger offspring. Poor Sarah looked totally incongruous - but that appeared to be her going-out outfit of choice, because when I saw her on subsequent nights, she was always wearing it. She was always chain smoking and drinking and although she was always very noisy and shouting out to people, I never though she looked happy. During the McNally years, she used to disappear to London, where she was working as a secretary. I do know that McNally had no intention of marrying her - he used to claim that he did not want to upset his children, but in reality, I expect that as he had a vast fortune, I expect that he did not ever want to run the risk of losing it in a divorce.

In many respects, McNally was not a good choice for Sarah; he offered her no long-term prospects and indeed, although he got her her job in London [working for publisher Richard Burton] this actually seemed a clever way of distancing himself from Sarah when he felt that he had had bit much of her - in short, I don't think he was awfully kind to her when looked at closely. In the summer months though, he did provide her with a taste of the glitzy jet-set lifestyle, as he used to control the advertising at Grands Prix and used to travel every fortnight to these glamorous venues. I used to go to the Monaco Grand Prix and saw him 'holding court' there. Oddly enough, despite his great wealth he was not rated as a 'catch', the young model girls who used to turn up were all with the drivers, who were regarded as young and sexy even if they were physically often unimpressive [drivers are mostly quite small and are not necessarily particularly handsome- but they are very rich and can have the pick of the girls!] McNally, mid forty-ish and looking older - and trying to 'look hip' with his penchant for wearing sunglasses even when he was inside - was regarded as 'no catch' and was known by the unflattering nickname of 'Toad'. The main problem though was that I think that he introduced Sarah to a world of Jet-Set living to which she wanted to aspire, but would never be able to achieve through marriage to a Royal. Or probably marriage to anyone from the Jet Set, who tended to prefer beautiful, thin women however cruel this may sound.

I've met Prince Andrew a few times. He seemed well-meaning in a vague sort of way, but I would describe him as 'a bit boring'. The imagine presented of him by the press before his marriage was of 'the playboy prince'. His reputation had been enhanced through his service in the Falklands with the British Navy, but I think that that was his high point. Off duty, he mostly seemed to prefer to stay at home. Whilst I have no way of knowing whether this is true, the Press - the 'respectable' broadsheets and not just the tabloids used to talk about him slumping down watching video after video.

In my humble opinion, he was never going to provide Sarah with what she wanted. The jet set life as neither in Andrew's pocket or even his wishes.

Just my thoughts,

Alex

Last edited:
I want the Sarah that Andrew (and some of us) fell for in 1986- fun, lively and just a little bit more cautious about looking before she leaps.

I snipped a lot out there, all of which I wholeheartedly agree with.

But what you wrote in that quote above, Zonk, expresses perfectly how I feel as well.

As recently as a few weeks ago, in the US magazine "Parade," Sarah has most certainly been discussing the Royal family. In that, she says that she doesn't blame the Queen for her non-invite but instead lays the blame at Charles & William's feet. I can't see that as discreet or respectful, and it is but one tiny example.

I could go back and back and back for over twenty years and find literally thousands (if not millions!) of instances where Sarah has spoken about the Royal family, by name and by rank. Endlessly. It's been her bread and butter, quite literally, and her ability to speak of them was by grace of HM the Queen, who did not insist on a confidentiality agreement such as was required of Diana.

Diana ceased speaking of the RF once her divorce was finalized, in accordance with its terms. Sarah has spent her post-divorce years doing as much discussing of the RF as can be of profit to her, which she is permitted to do.

A friend of mine was at a charity function in Dallas last year and sat at Sarah's table. She recounted the conversation to me, and it was littered with Sarah's discussion of the Royal family.

Sarah speaks of the Royal family every single time that she appears.

Hopefully that provides the clarity that you are seeking.

For the sake of all that is holy I hope so. She needs to let that part of her life go. As for her options, she could try her hand at being a romance novelist. It's a huge industry and she would end up making a mint from books sales alone if she's successful; then she could end up selling the rights to movies and she could sell the rights for a miniseries and then the residuals from the royalties could leave her wiht more than a snug enough income.

I don't believe Sarah would be a success, simply because she's not a good enough writer.
(She says herself that the children's books were knocked into shape by an editor, and almost everything she's done has been accomplished through a co-writer).

As for letting her life with the RF go, why is she still permitted to cling to it?
When Infanta Elena of Spain divorced her husband, that was it...he lost his title and was out of the RF. Why should it be different for Sarah?

She certainly does discuss the Royal Family quite a bit in her Oprah Channel show.

Slightly off topic, but i'd like to thank Alex (Diarist) for her posts which i always enjoy thoroughly. Alex puts a lot of time into it all (I hope she's a touch typist) and it's always very interesting, based on a world I know little about. So thanks Alex.

After reading Diarist's comments it's pretty clear that Sarah does, and has always lived in a fantasy world most of her adult life. What was/is it about her that does not register when she looked around at all those "beautiful people" that she could not see, that she did not fit in, either financially or sadly, physically? Even then she was banging her head up against a brick wall. It seems she has been chasing this foolish dream for 20-30 years. Unfortunately, I don't think Sarah will ever be happy, sadly I think she will spend the rest of her life chasing fantasies. Yes, she probably would marry Andrew again, I think that is part of what this is all about but to blame Charles and William for her lack of invitation just shows how foggy her thinking is. Charles and William are the next KINGS, what does she think she will accomplish by laying blame at their doorstep. Even this does not seem well thought out, one does not offend those who may influence one's future .........

Yes, she probably would marry Andrew again, I think that is part of what this is all about but to blame Charles and William for her lack of invitation just shows how foggy her thinking is. Charles and William are the next KINGS, what does she think she will accomplish by laying blame at their doorstep. Even this does not seem well thought out, one does not offend those who may influence one's future .........

I've always thought that Sarah was not there (at the wedding) because William was the one who didn't want her there!

William and Kate seemed to call the shots for their wedding; I don't think it had that much to do with Charles or the Queen.

I've always thought that Sarah was not there (at the wedding) because William was the one who didn't want her there!

William and Kate seemed to call the shots for their wedding; I don't think it had that much to do with Charles or the Queen.

Right and pigs can fly. William said, I believe, that it was a decision that was not his. And she is still part of the millieu, because Andrew loves her. He keep her close. He could have scuttled her years a ago.

I think it would have been a universal decision not to invite her. After the cash for access scandel no one would have wanted her there. It would have been seen as them forgiving her for her very bad behaviour. Besides William hasn't really had contact with her in many years so why would he even want too invite her? She isn't part of the family and hasn't been for a very long time. If Andrew didn't allow her to live with him on and off like he has all these years then maybe she could have gone away quietly. But Fergie likes the attention good or bad she revells in it. I think she expected a jet set lifestyle with Andrew but then reality set in. She had to do public duties which she didn't do a lot off from the beginning, she had her life mapped out for her in advance and it didn't include spending the winter skiing and the summers floating about! For some reason she thought Andrew would be around even though she knew he was in the Navy so she didn't think that part through either. Sarah is never going to have the jet set life she did for awhile when things were good but she didn't do it smartly. No house no money put away for the future. It was all first class travel and vacations! I don't think she looks ahead she is like a child she wants it now and doesn't think about tomorrow. I doubt she would be good enough to be a real writer she seems to need help getting the books finished and always has cowriters. If it wasn't for the Duchess of York title she wouldn't have had anything published in the first place. Everything she has done has been done using her title it is her marketing point. Now days though she has so much mud on her people just don't want to know. What could she be a spokeswoman for? She can't look after herself and still relies on her ex husband and daughters financially and emotionally. Sarah has become a liability to herself! I doubt she has learnt much from Finding Sarah she is still living with Andrew and still living the lifestyle that has put her so much in debt in the first place. Sarah does talk of the RF but she has been very careful not to say anything to negative about most of them. But if she gets really desperate and feels she has nothing left to lose that could change too!

Right and pigs can fly. William said, I believe, that it was a decision that was not his. And she is still part of the millieu, because Andrew loves her. He keep her close. He could have scuttled her years a ago.

When did William say that?

In relation to whether Sarah should have been at the royal wedding in April, I am still perplexed as to why the ex-wife of an uncle needs to be invited at all?

IMO, that question would have been just as relevant prior to the cash-for-access scandal. If anything, I would think that as the long term boyfriend of Beatrice, Dave Clark probably had a greater "claim" to an invite than Sarah.

It really does not matter whose decision it was to exclude Sarah - I suspect the views on this were probably unanimous amongst the key decision makers.

I think it would have been a universal decision not to invite her.

Apart from Sarah herself (and maybe the Yorks) noone in the upper society of Britain still thinks she is related to the Royals. Those who invite her are doing it - at least in Britain - because she has her own connections with them or her daughters. But why should the Royals invite her? She is definately exactly the person who gets no invite: an ex-, having brought shame of the BRF, talkative to the media, not popular, not important. Give me one reason why she should have been invited? For the BRF (apart from the Yorks, that is, bot none of them married there) she is the past. Unfortunately a very vivid past. In times past she would have gotten an "invitation" to a Royal Palace to take up permanent residence there: alas, not Buckingham Place but the cell track of the Tower of London. IMHO, of course.

Interesting quote.
The Trouble with Andrew | Society | Vanity Fair
“Andrew hired a team of accountants to investigate Fergie’s debts,” said a royal-watcher. “He paid off several million pounds’ worth of her debts at 25 English pence to the pound. Where did that money come from? Andrew certainly never had that kind of money. No one can prove it, but the assumption is that Fergie’s debts were quietly retired by the Queen.”

Unfortunately, Sarah may be like the proverbial blackmailer who keeps asking for more, and as long as it's taken care of she will do it again. I cannot see that it would cause anymore scandal/trouble for the BRF or Andrew and the girls if someone were to call her bluff and let her suffer the consequences of her actions. She's already bringing ridicule upon them, IMO.

Are you suggesting that Sarah is blackmailing the BRF?

Why? His finances are there to be seen. Yes he's got some money but we're talking some serious bank. Is it that far fetched that his mother came in for the rescue.

Are you suggesting that Sarah is blackmailing the BRF?
Well I can see how that looks: You know, bumbling, fumbling Sarah, poor Sarah hasn't got a pot to piss in Sarah and btw Your Majesty, can you help me out a bit here before I rock the boat a little harder?
Yes, i can see how that can be construed as blackmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom