Options for Sarah to recover from the 'Cash for Access' scandal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O"We have had initial conversations with Sarah Ferguson about a docu-series, not a talk show, but there is nothing to announce at this time," said an OWN spokesperson.
Now this sounds very reasonable and productive. It would be a start but not a full time TV show as previously thought. It looks like Sarah would do one documentary along with quite a few other names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, this docu-series sounds quite interesting, something that I might even check out if I had a TV. Sarah has actually been talking for a while about wanting to produce a documentary about famous women or do a TV series about Prince Albert...I`ve heard these ideas floated around for a while. Sarah is good at researching things she`s interested in (Albert and Victoria for example) and telling the story to others, so yes, I also think this could be a good job for her.

Sarah has a beautiful voice and is a born conversationalist so I think it woud suit her perfectly.This is as perfect job a for her as U will get- . I hope she gets it.
Sarah speaking at a united nations forum back in Feb.
At her best I think, very passionate and really makes you listen to her. Very impressive! A world apart from the desperate and beaten woman we see in the access video a few weeks later. Hard to believe. Hope she can get back to where she was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL65Bq8UQSc (sarah comes in at 5.10)

I absolutely agree--I posted those same videos here a few weeks ago to make the same point.

Sarah is a born communicator and a very visionary person. The downside of being a "communicator" and a visionary is that Sarah is sometimes all talk and dreams, and very little action...hence the broken promises, the living in the clouds and the mounting debts.

When I first saw the videos of her speaking at the UN, I also had to share them. When Sarah`s not talking about herself, she is a great public speaker. Not everyone has that gift--I recently saw some articles about how the reporters nearly died of boredom when Andrew spoke recently at some sort of golf awards event. Apparently the speech lasted forever, and at the end they still were none the wiser about what he was trying to say (and I believe it, because I`ve seen videos of Andrew`s speeches). On the other hand, when Sarah speaks like she does here at the UN, no one was falling asleep from boredom (look at their attentive faces) and I don`t think anyone missed the main message, either.

I just happened on an article about the Oprah proposal. Whether it's that or a documentary thing, I thing she'd be great on TV. As long as she's doing the interviewing, not being interviewed, she'll be fine. I think something along these lines is a great idea.

If Sarah could be neutral while interviewing people and not interject herself into the discussion, she would do well.

Prince Andrew to pay-off ex-wife Sarah Ferguson's £1.5m debts - The Daily Record

Don't know how true this is. If it is, Andrew has come through
for her again. Hope she appreciates him now.
If she wasn't so impulsive, she would be fine. I read once how somone turned up at ther mother's ranch in a second hand, very broken down looking car. She immediately bought him a new one, as you do.

I don't think Andrew will bail her out completely, I think he would kinda miss her around the Lodge at this stage.

:previous:I suppose PA could have used the proceeds from the sale of Sunninghill to pay them off and "write it off" as Sarah's portion of the sale. . .

Duchess of York's lavish lifestyle that drove her to the brink of ruin revealed | Mail Online

The extraordinary luxuries and lavish lifestyle that have left the Duchess of York on the brink of bankruptcy can be revealed for the first time as speculation mounts that Prince Andrew may help bail her out.

Sarah Ferguson, 50, would order staff to prepare vast ‘Henry VIII banquets’ for her and her daughters Beatrice and Eugenie every night, washing them down with vodka and pink champagne, it has been claimed.

Perhaps as a result of this extravagance the ex-wife of the Duke of York is said to owe £65,000 to a personal fitness instructor, although it is not known over what period this was built up.

The Duchess also ran up bills at businesses in the area around Royal Lodge – the Windsor home she shares with Prince Andrew – including a butcher, dry cleaners and car hire firm, a former employee said.

I'm not surprised some of her staff are turning on her, it must be hard seeing her waste money in this way and then see you are not geting paid that month.

I'm not surprised some of her staff are turning on her, it must be hard seeing her waste money in this way and then see you are not geting paid that month.

I would imagine too that Sarah always thought that somehow things would work out and as many have said, she's a good talker.. communicator. When you find out that your employer is one step away from being a virtual bag lady and depending on others, you tend to look elsewhere to support yourself. Its my understanding that many of those in her employ hadn't been paid in "ages" and still stuck with her.

What needs to be done had to be done and was done. If you don't have a dime in your pocket, you sure can't afford a grand lifestyle. The days of the grandiose lifestyle of the Duchess of York are over. She'll have to do her own hair and dress herself and earn a living as Sarah Ferguson. I really don't think the Duchess of York will work for her much longer either in the UK or the US or anywhere.

:previous:I suppose PA could have used the proceeds from the sale of Sunninghill to pay them off and "write it off" as Sarah's portion of the sale. . .

"He is not touching her debts in America but his people are going to sit down and itemise every debt here and pay them off one by one. "Fortunately, he has the money after selling his old home for a healthy profit."

I'd like to know who the Daily Record (one I'd never heard of before much) got this info from. It does make sense though that Andrew would do this. He's taking control and helping Sarah in the best way he can.

another quote is:

A royal source revealed: "The duke is embarrassed that a lot of the money owed is to local businesses and people who have provided services to Royal Lodge.

If this is true, then it would be something that Andrew perhaps feels needed to be taken care of. It hits close to home and people he most likely has to deal with himself.

The bottom line here is IMO that Andrew is looking out for his own self interests as well as helping Sarah where he can. They remain close friends but Andrew isn't a fool and knows he needs to draw a line somewhere.

But where is the line? This is it for Fergie, she rescued herself once and is (apparently) being rescued here, there can't be another fall but if there is, will Andrew once again step in to save her or will she actually burn?

As I read the article, I saw it to mean that Andrew is going to itemize and perhaps pay off debts incurred while Sarah was in the UK and perhaps at his home Royal Lodge. Then too..as this article was in the papers and not confirmed by Andrew's office we really don't know if its credible or not.

We do however know (?) that the office of Andrew has been assigned to do the task of going over her financials and on advice of such, gave notice to anyone in the employ of Sarah. It makes sense that he'd make good on the back pay that is owed those loyal to Sarah that weren't paid.

another quote is:

A royal source revealed: "The duke is embarrassed that a lot of the money owed is to local businesses and people who have provided services to Royal Lodge.

If this is true, then it would be something that Andrew perhaps feels needed to be taken care of. It hits close to home and people he most likely has to deal with himself.

This gets complicated, doesn`t it? Sarah and Andrew`s finances are entangled despite their divorce, because she lives in his house.

From the Daily Mail article:

"‘Every night she demands a whole side of beef, a leg of lamb and a chicken, which are laid out on the dining room table like a medieval banquet. It’s a feast that would make Henry VIII proud.
‘But often there is just her and her girls Bea and Eugenie and most of it is wasted. There is no attempt to keep it to have cold the next day. It just sits there all night and the next day it’s thrown away."

What would the Children In Crisis say?:whistling:

Honestly, if this is true, in this day and age she should be ashamed of herself. And those TV programmes where she gives advice; she needs it herself. All this business of trying to live like a Royal because she's "Duchess of York" doesn't wash with me.

I've always had a fondness for Sarah as it always seemed that she's genuinely a nice person, and friendly, but it now seems she's stupid too. Either that, or just too generous. Generous to an absolute fault. A sensible person just doesn't go buying gifts they can't afford for all their friends (and aquaintances). Buying their love.

This gets complicated, doesn`t it? Sarah and Andrew`s finances are entangled despite their divorce, because she lives in his house.

Thinking about them living together, I could imagine that he's given her rooms in a very big house. Considering the size of the place, it wouldn't necessarily mean they are face to face all the time. He's away a lot and so is she. At this time I just think Andrew is helping out having his office go over her finances and give a bit of advice of what to do (with Sarah's full permission) and offering to take care of some of the debts that affect his household and surroundings. That's what good friends do for each other.

But where is the line? This is it for Fergie, she rescued herself once and is (apparently) being rescued here, there can't be another fall but if there is, will Andrew once again step in to save her or will she actually burn?

After this fiasco, where she goes I think will be up to her. I really don't see her just retiring to the country, tending gardens and holding a few tea parties to support her causes in the area. I don't see the style Duchess of York meaning anything to anyone much in the US as far as the celebrity status goes either. The big draw for the demographics of celebrities (there are a few stars though) are between the ages of 16 and 40) Although Oprah has made presumably an offer for Sarah to do a documentary type thing for her OWN network, I don't see that as a permanant thing either. Its a start though. Something Sarah is good at.

But.. between the two, there's an idea. Sarah did have a bit to do with the movie "Young Victoria" (which I really enjoyed) and perhaps with the push given by Oprah she could decide to go into semi-retirement in the country and focus on researching documentaries on the history of royalty and aristocratic society in the UK.

Just my own ideas of what could happen...

Last edited:
From the Daily Mail article:

"‘Every night she demands a whole side of beef, a leg of lamb and a chicken, which are laid out on the dining room table like a medieval banquet. It’s a feast that would make Henry VIII proud.

Anyone that would believe a order of a whole side of beef has got to be smoking whatever the person that said this statement was. (I'd have said too much merlot but that would have insulted a few of us here). An entire side of beef is a whole lot of MOO. It normally take my hubby and I up to a year to go through 1/4 side. She may have wanted complete dinners with a mix of everything but I don't see how anyone human could demand a side of beef at one meal. :ROFLMAO:

I've always had a fondness for Sarah as it always seemed that she's genuinely a nice person, and friendly, but it now seems she's stupid too. Either that, or just too generous. Generous to an absolute fault. A sensible person just doesn't go buying gifts they can't afford for all their friends (and aquaintances). Buying their love.

She's always seemed to be as a spontaneous, outgoing person that just is that.. too spontaneous. She, I think is sincere in her affections, but isn't too sensible. She'll reach out to people and give but has no real thought to what she is giving.. as "can I afford to do this?". Diana was the same way with money affairs. Neither one of these girls had a clue what being broke really is.

Those are good ideas, but Sarah won't settle down and lead a quiet life unless she's carried out to the country kicking and screaming.:)
I really liked Sarah until the last few years when it seems her "royal status" and rubbing shoulders with the wealthy and celebrities went to her head. So many of her stories turned out to be different from the way things happened, she's told at least two different stories about where she was and what she did on 9/11. Really, the main thing is that she hasn't taken responsibility for anything anymore. Her divorce was the Navy's fault, well, running around on your husband while he's away at sea is a big contributor. The biggest turn off is when she blamed her dead mother for the way her life has turned out in the last few years. This came out a couple of years ago and I had just lost my mother and I lost total respect for her, accusing her mother after her mother is gone and can't defend herself.
I'm sure Sarah is a very nice person, but she is also a manipulator.

moved

:previous:
I've no clue what and where she was to have been on 9/11 as its only been recent (since 2008) since I've paid attention on anything Sarah did/has done. I know too that where you were when 9/11 happened today is tantamount to "where were you when JFK was shot".
Her divorce was the Navy's fault, well, running around on your husband while he's away at sea is a big contributor.
Right here with that fact is indication of Sarah's 'spontaneous nature". She's also complained that when they did have time together, Andrew would rather be a "couch potato" and watch videos, tv and perhaps a few games.. I really can't remember. This indicates to me that Sarah lives in the "now". No past thoughts, no goals for the future but now is what matters.
The biggest turn off is when she blamed her dead mother for the way her life has turned out in the last few years. This came out a couple of years ago and I had just lost my mother and I lost total respect for her, accusing her mother after her mother is gone and can't defend herself.
This, I think, is totally normal for Sarah though. It was the same thing with Diana with her childhood. When life throws you lemons.. you want to blame the lemon tree or the soil or the lack of rain or the lack of a talking to by Charles... anything but looking at who is holding the lemons. I really think that Sarah is the type of person that totally lives in the "now" and when things go wrong.. that's when she looks around to see who caused it. I really don't know much about what she's said about her mother but I did get my copy of her "My Story" today and looking forward to reading it. (I'm on a summertime bookaholic spree).

I've never met Sarah but I know if I was offered employ in her service, I'd take a job at McD's first.

Good Lord! If this is true, I sincerely hope that PA dumps her as soon as the debts are paid. Perhaps she would act differently if she knew there was not a golden parachute at the ready every time she screws up.

There may be some truth in it, it's been reported in 3 newspapers and they are quoting a former employee as their source (rather than just " a source" or "a friend" or "an insider").

I think they are basically trying to find the best way forward for all concerned. Of course Andrew is taking his own reputation/position and how all this reflects on him into consideration, but it's more than that.
Whatever he decides/has decided isn't just a shrewd, calculated, considered move with just his interests at heart. I think it is also more than a sense of duty. He obviously thinks the world of Sarah, and for whatever reason still believes in her when so many have given up on her.

Even though her mother isn't here to defend herself, there is no denying the facts, from once she left for Argentina Sarah and her sister hardly saw her during their teenage years. I know it's a handy poor me story, but that sense of abandonment would have a huge affect on any child.
It says a lot about Sarah that she never held it against her mother, I don't think everyone would be so forgiving.

I haven't read if the issue of the marital home was dealt with in the divorce settllment but she didn't play hardball or go down any legal route when Sunninghill was sold, maybe that's why Andrew is now prepared to help her finanically when she needs it.

It's hard to know what will become of them or how their relationship will change after this fiasco. At first I thought things could never be quiet the same again, something in their relationship gone forever. But, they do seem to be fighting this together, and if they're in it together, could they come out of it closer and stronger?? If this doesn't break their bond, it's hard to believe anything will.

I think we all knew Fergie likes her food, no bombshell there, I hope that's the biggest revelation her former employee has for us.

Can we stop bringing up her possible abandonment issues? Everyone has problems and most don't have the luxury of being titled or having a rich and loving ex to bail them out.

She has impulse control issues which manifest in a very ugly way, money mismanagement. It's something she should've mastered after her first trip down debt's road and she's screwed up again. Yes, we all have issues we have to deal with but at the end of the day you play the cards you're dealt, not just the ones you like.

She always talks about the small settlement she took in an effort to maintain good relations with the RF so I doubt the home was included, since she would've had a say in it's sale.

The money to buy a home was included but that has never happened due to concerns about the suitability (not cost) of the ones looked at.

Her abandonment issues are probably a major contributing factor to the other issues that have appeared and let's not forget that a lot of these financial problems have come about due to failed companies during the GFC - she is as much a victim of the downturn in the econmies of the US and UK as any other person who has gone bankrupt.

Can we stop bringing up her possible abandonment issues?...
I agree with your opinions. I mentioned her Mother because someone mentioned that Sarah had gone down in their opinion because she spoke about these issues when her Mother wasn't around to defend herself.
I didn't really agree, I thought it was admirable that Sarah continued to want to have a relationship with her Mother, when a lesser person might have cut ties in adulthood.

I don't think any of these issues are an excuse for her current problems or previous mistakes. You are right, Sarah is just IMPULSIVE, IMPUSLIVE, IMPULSIVE in every area of her life. She probably rushed into marriage with Andrew when a longer engagement might have help her adapt to life in a fishbowl, their divorce might have been premature, not to mention her weight and financial issues.

If small settlement = friendship was the a deal, then I feel Sarah kept her side of bargain, she has never said anything negative about any of them including P Philip except maybe acknowledging he has no time for her, and she's never disclosed any royal secrets.
They on the other hand have never really involved her in anything, even when things were going well for her, and she was getting reasonably good press (One trip to Balmoral and a few funerals doesn't add up to much). Andrew obviously is the exception in all of this, but I really think she could have asked for more without things becoming any way bitter with him. As you say, even now he is very much the loving ex.

Now No 10¿s involved in Fergie saga | Mail Online

From Richard Kay's column:
For weeks, they have watched the catastrophic unravelling of the Duchess of York’s life with a dispassionate dismay.
But as stories of her mounting debts and legal liabilities show no sign of slowing, I understand Downing Street has been consulted.
According to well-placed sources, David Cameron has had *discussions about the chaos surrounding the *Duchess with representatives of the Queen and of Prince Charles.

Thinking about them living together, I could imagine that he's given her rooms in a very big house. Considering the size of the place, it wouldn't necessarily mean they are face to face all the time. He's away a lot and so is she. At this time I just think Andrew is helping out having his office go over her finances and give a bit of advice of what to do (with Sarah's full permission) and offering to take care of some of the debts that affect his household and surroundings. That's what good friends do for each other.

I don`t think they see each other much either. I just mean it`s complicated because if Sarah has been ordering things for Royal Lodge, that`s Andrew`s house, so it reflects badly on him if she doesn`t pay her bills.

The other thing I`m kind of scratching my head over is how Andrew would not have known about the state of Sarah`s finances. You`d think if there`s a butcher, dry cleaners, etc. coming to his house asking for money, and his daughters and Sarah`s staff (who must also spend time at his house) are bailing her out, his office would find out about it and inform Andrew. It`s great for Andrew to let Sarah live there, but it`s odd to me that he would know about her past problems with money, and read the papers, and not investigate a little deeper into Sarah`s finances before things got out of hand. That seems like it would be only the responsible thing to do when you have someone staying under your roof and you hear rumours about their finances--check a little closer in case they are ordering things to your address but not paying for them.

It`s just a little weird to me--it reminds me of how he supposedly was the last to know about Sarah`s affairs. Sometimes I wonder if it`s a case of, Andrew doesn`t know what he doesn`t want to know.

I also don`t fully understand why Sarah would be paying for meals for herself and Beatrice and Eugenie when all three of them were at Royal Lodge. If Beatrice and Eugenie were there alone, wouldn`t there be a cook who would just prepare something for them and the bill would go to Andrew...? So why wouldn`t it be the same if Sarah also happened to be in residence--the cook just makes extra for her? I guess I don`t really know how life works in these royal houses.

Anyone that would believe a order of a whole side of beef has got to be smoking whatever the person that said this statement was. (I'd have said too much merlot but that would have insulted a few of us here). An entire side of beef is a whole lot of MOO. It normally take my hubby and I up to a year to go through 1/4 side. She may have wanted complete dinners with a mix of everything but I don't see how anyone human could demand a side of beef at one meal. :ROFLMAO:
Well, the "side of beef" quote did come from the Daily Mail...along with references to Henry VIII-style feasts for three women. :whistling:

:previous:Right here with that fact is indication of Sarah's 'spontaneous nature". She's also complained that when they did have time together, Andrew would rather be a "couch potato" and watch videos, tv and perhaps a few games.. I really can't remember. This indicates to me that Sarah lives in the "now". No past thoughts, no goals for the future but now is what matters.

I think you`ve summed up one of Sarah`s defining personality traits. She lives completely in the moment, or in the world of her head, but not reality. She doesn`t plan; this is how she never saved any money and as soon as her business ventures fell apart, ended up massively in debt.

People don`t understand how Sarah could have had affairs if she loved Andrew as much as she claimed, but it makes sense to me because you have to understand how Sarah`s mind works. Before they were married, Andrew was always there (apparently they only spent one night apart during their engagement). Whenever she wanted him, he was there now. As soon as they got married, he went to sea, and he wasn`t there. And then when he was home, he was busy with other things. So instead of thinking about the future when Andrew might be based in London and spend more time with her, Sarah gave up on Andrew and went looking for someone who would be there for her now. Then it was money: she always wanted some big business deal or financial saviour to solve all her problems instantly, now--the magical quick fix. And apparently, in that area, she didn`t learn.

In regards to a future career, it`s definitely going to be interesting to see what unfolds. There isn`t going to be any quick and easy source of money, but it`s going to be a while before Sarah understands that. Right now I think she is probably totally lost and just waiting for someone to come in and solve all her problems. But that isn`t going to happen.

After this fiasco, where she goes I think will be up to her. I really don't see her just retiring to the country, tending gardens and holding a few tea parties to support her causes in the area. I don't see the style Duchess of York meaning anything to anyone much in the US as far as the celebrity status goes either. The big draw for the demographics of celebrities (there are a few stars though) are between the ages of 16 and 40) Although Oprah has made presumably an offer for Sarah to do a documentary type thing for her OWN network, I don't see that as a permanant thing either. Its a start though. Something Sarah is good at.

Oh no, I can`t see Sarah living the quiet life of English country gentry either. And that`s okay; that kind of lifestyle isn`t meant for everyone either. Sarah is good at doing something like what Oprah offered her; it`s just that she needs to make money by using her skills, now, and not her courtesy title or her past fame. That did work in 1997, but that was 13 years ago. In the world of celebrity headlines, Sarah`s marriage to Andrew really is ancient history.

People don`t understand how Sarah could have had affairs if she loved Andrew as much as she claimed, but it makes sense to me because you have to understand how Sarah`s mind works. Before they were married, Andrew was always there (apparently they only spent one night apart during their engagement). Whenever she wanted him, he was there now. As soon as they got married, he went to sea, and he wasn`t there. And then when he was home, he was busy with other things. So instead of thinking about the future when Andrew might be based in London and spend more time with her, Sarah gave up on Andrew and went looking for someone who would be there for her now. Then it was money: she always wanted some big business deal or financial saviour to solve all her problems instantly, now--the magical quick fix. And apparently, in that area, she didn`t learn.

In regards to a future career, it`s definitely going to be interesting to see what unfolds. There isn`t going to be any quick and easy source of money, but it`s going to be a while before Sarah understands that. Right now I think she is probably totally lost and just waiting for someone to come in and solve all her problems. But that isn`t going to happen.

Yes, I totally agree. Having Andrew around all the time during their engagement left Sarah completely unprepared for life without Andrew when they married. I think the love was very much there (you couldn't fake their body language) and for the first time in her life I think she had a sense of family and a sense of security with Andrew. When that was taken away she really went of the rails.

Her future is very uncertain, the quick and easy sources of money would do even more damage to her reputation. You just hope she's heard the wakeup call regarding her lifestyle, it simply has to change, otherwise God only knows where she might end up. With regards her current financial situation Andrew seems to have stepped in to take initial control, and that might give her some breathing space.
I still think speaking engagements will be lucarative for her, books and possibly films might help, but what she really needs is something to replace weightwatchers (a major, safe, regular source of income).
It was a good match, they were perfect for her and she was perfect for them. Andrew is still her best bet, not so much to bail her out, as to help put her on the right road, and find a purpose in her life, with some stability and peace of mind. At least she just might listen to him, and it will be interesting to see if their relationship changes, she does need his guidance.

At least after this fiasco she knows who her true friends are, who she can trust and rely on.

In regards to a future career, it`s definitely going to be interesting to see what unfolds. There isn`t going to be any quick and easy source of money, but it`s going to be a while before Sarah understands that.

And also, she's getting older. Closer to 60 than 40. And that makes a difference in this ageist world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom