Options for Sarah to recover from the 'Cash for Access' scandal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even as a minor celeb, she'd make more than the average professional voice actor. It'd be a good career move for her, since she could do just about any work (Documentaries, commercials, animation ) and not be slated for it. But would it be enough? Or would any success trigger the, "I should be doing Pixar with the big names.", reaction?

sliver_bic said:
Even as a minor celeb, she'd make more than the average professional voice actor. It'd be a good career move for her, since she could do just about any work (Documentaries, commercials, animation ) and not be slated for it. But would it be enough? Or would any success trigger the, "I should be doing Pixar with the big names.", reaction?

That would be a very smart career move- it'd be a respectable way for her to earn a living without embarrassing herself.

With Sarah I feel that enough will never be enough.

Many people have incomes due to kinship (consanguinity and affinity). Sarah seems to think that affinity (marriage) entitles her to certain rights. At various times in history, she would have been right.

Public opinion is very much against her now.

Mermaid, you made some very interesting points. She has little potential on today's PR market. Dignity is in scarce supply, we look to royals to provide it - she doesn't deliver.

Very true, Sarah has no dignity, no cache and that which made her interesting as a tabloid story (her royal connection) has all but dried up. The Duke of York and the York Princesses aren't particularly interesting.

Really, Sarah's zenith was 1996, her interview with Ruby Wax was basically the height of her relevance. 14 million UK viewers watched it. That's the thing with Sarah. While Diana, Princess of Wales, went on Panorama and drew blood from The Firm, Sarah went on Ruby Wax and was her bawdy, silly, self as Ruby went through her fridge and raided her bedroom drawers. Diana had the potential to do serious damage, Sarah only cheapened herself, emphasizing that The Duke of Edinburgh's dim view of her "pointless!" had heft. The Royal Family has moved on beyond Sarah, the Royal Family will never quite shake Diana. Sarah's zenith was 15 years ago, her 15 minutes have lasted longer than most and now the party's over.

The pictures of Sarah in front of a logo is simply what they, in the business, call a "step and repeat"...every launch party has one. Sarah either nabs a freebie bag or has her expenses picked up or both, that's common PR practice for every celebrity, from the A to Z list.

I think Sarah should just quietly retire to The Royal Lodge, take care of her health and be social in London, privately, with the friends she has while travelling privately at the largesse of others. Basically, be the "wife" that The Firm wanted her to be and that Andrew, at this point in his life, deserves.

And I think she might just do it.

Last edited:
Lord Royal, very well said!

But will the paps allow her to socialize and travel quietly and privately? Or will they trumpet that she is doing both on someone else's dime (insinuating the DoY or the York girls) or that she lives a life of idleness? Even a picture of her through the window of an expensive restaurant or on a yacht quietly sunning herself will probably create negative press.

IMO she will need to combine that quiet and private life with 'good works'. Question is; are there charities who would want her as their representative in the UK?

Just a note; I never thought about what a nice voice she has until I read this thread. Maybe narrating documentaries about important world issues could kill two birds with one stone; get her some cash and identify her with good works.

IMO she will need to combine that quiet and private life with 'good works'. Question is; are there charities who would want her as their representative in the UK?

On a national level I would say no, but if she retired to the country (somewhere outside of the Home Counties) she could become active at the village level doing good works locally.

...But will the paps allow her to socialize and travel quietly and privately?
I actually think the press wouldn't be too fussed about Sarah if she kept her social life private. She hardly makes the papers for lunching at San Lorenzo and she spent the last summer travelling, she had lunch with Joan Collins in St Tropez and there isn't a photograph of that to be seen anywhere.

Ultimately, Sarah is past her sell by date, even in the tabloid press. She's just not that relevant anymore and the papers and paps are only going to pursue someone who has enough cache to make them money. Sarah isn't that kind of story anymore, she's only relevant where she's in a big scandal or looks terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
But where's the glamour in that?;):lol: On a serious note: If Sarah did do "good works" on a local level with poise and common-sense, maybe people would begin to take her more seriously.

On a national level I would say no, but if she retired to the country (somewhere outside of the Home Counties) she could become active at the village level doing good works locally.

But where's the glamour in that?;):lol: On a serious note: If Sarah did do "good works" on a local level with poise and common-sense, maybe people would begin to take her more seriously.

There isn't too much glamour...but I don't think Sarah's been all that interested in glamour, she goes out in public looking like she's been hit by a truck (and I say that as someone who likes Sarah). Sarah likes to run with a glamorous crowd, a crowd that often doesn't publicise its personal social life.

I don't think she's really going to be taken seriously. She is truly damned if she does and damned if she doesn't because her actions are always going to appear insincere and opportunistic.

If she just lived a quiet life at Royal Lodge and went about her social life as a private person, with public appearances reserved for 3 events (York Princess weddings and Eugenie's graduation from Newcastle), Sarah, Duchess of York's public profile would be helped tremendously.

The only problem I see about this is Sarah herself. She has said on her Finding Sarah program she doesn't want to be private. She wants to reinvent her brand and get the attention she once had. Unless she works it out for herself she is no longer relevant she will show up to whatever event she can get paid too and have her picture taken. I often think that is why she shows up places with the girls it ensures she get's the attention she craves.

I think in part her attitude and bad behaviour of the past is why she doesn't seem to have a boyfriend. Maybe if she did she would be happier within herself. At the moment she seems more lost. I don't believe she and Andrew are anything more then friends even though going by Sarah's own words she would love for there to be more. If she did some charity work and worked hard not just showed up in a evening gown she could be taken more seriously. Sadly Sarah doesn't seem to be able to really commit and do it quietly. She wants the attention! Staying in the background and working hard would do wonders for Sarah not just be seen off on a first class vacation every couple of months which she can't afford to do and clutching her two girls hands which just looks odd. Sarah has had more chances in life then most and if she had off handled her money properly from the beginning she wouldn't need to be worrying so much now. Voiceover work would be good but I don't think Sarah would just do anything and she tends to get an ego so she can easily price her way out of a job. What happened with her big lovestory book? And there were also some sort of help books for teenagers in the works?

So much is being said here that is just common sense. If members of this forum (especially those residing in the UK where Sarah's 'redemption' needs to take place) are able to see what Sarah needs to do to redeem (for lack of better word) herself, I find it hard to believe that at least one person she respects hasn't told her the same thing. One would think she would listen. I tend to be a bit 'headstrong' myself, but usually after good advice I 'eventually' stop hitting my head against a stone wall.

As far as a boyfriend, I think the right man would do wonders but I'm afraid I'm one of those romantics who believe that Sarah and the DoY still love each other, but cannot reunite due to her unacceptability. Otherwise, a conservative (in behavior, not politically speaking) gentleman would be an asset to Sarah. I think she would be the type to adapt her behavior to his. Unfortunately, I doubt if that type of man (who belongs to the right type of circle) would be attracted to her and/or willing to take her on.

:previous:

Some good points, Queen.

I always think that other people's marriages / relationships often contain elements that are unfathomble to others. So far as Andrew and Sarah and their possible love for each other is concerned, I always think that the position they find themselves in is based on two main factors, and I have come to this view on the basis of having met Andrew several times and having known Sarah since from before her relationship with Andrew commenced.

So far as Sarah is concerned, and I know that this will sound rather unpalatable to some, I am sorry, but I have always found her quite manipulative.

So far as Andrew is concerned, I have always been left with the impression that he is, basically, none too bright. At best he is affable, uncomplicated and simple [as opposed to a deep thinker] in his personal dealings; at other times he is plain boorish, with a large ego and a great sense of his own [inflated] importance.

He also always struck me as having little or no imagination, and I always thought that he was susceptible to flattery. For example, if a girl came up to him and told him he was truly wonderful, in my opinion he would not stop to think that perhaps she was only saying honeyed words to him because of his royal position. He would also believe it to be true.

Extrapolated to the 'Fergie' situation, I take the view that if cunning Sarah, now a bit short on her options - both short of money and, let us face it, short of business opportunties and come to that very short of male admirers - began telling Andrew how much she loved him, how much they should be together again etc, he would not stop to question that perhaps she was not been 100 per cent honest. He would not think to question that this was the girl who was persistently unfaithful to him after the first couple of years of their marriage. He would not seek to question that Sarah might have an ulterior motive for speaking such words to him. Indeed, there is something of an Ostrich about him in his behaviour: I remember at a time when the whole of my circle - and come to that, the tabloids - were talking about [pregnant] Sarah's unfaithfulness with Steve Wyatt, Andrew affected not to notice; indeed, until the famous photos of Wyatt with Beatrice etc were found on top of the wardrobe in his old appartment, Andrew had apparently not even been aware either of the rumours or the fact that they were in fact true. Add this to the fact that the BRF has a hatred of intrusive [mostly tabloid] journalism, believing the content of their stories to be mostly untrue, I can even see a manipulative Sarah managing to convince Andrew that much of the [true] bad press about her over the years and particularly the most recent stories, have been untrue. And I expect that Sarah could present her version of the 'facts' to him in such a way that he would feel rather sorry for her.....[hence the facts that he allows her to live at Royal Lodge and he stepped in to try to help her re-schedule her debts etc]

But what I cannot accept is that there is much romantic feeling between the couple any longer. Regardless of the rumours that Prince Philip would prevent any re-marriage etc, Andrew's oft-quoted remark that Sarah is his 'third child' casts doubt to me on the existence of any romantic feelings for Sarah on the part of the Duke.

It suits Sarah from all perspectives to keep people thinking that there is a romantic relationship between the Duke and herself. It would serve to underline the 'royal' connection and Sarah's stock-in -trade is entirely based on the [completely erroneous!!] belief that she is 'royal'. From a material standpoint, Sarah also needs Royal Lodge as a base: not only is it a roof over her head, it is a 'royal' roof that boosts her 'claim' to be a 'royal duchess' and it also provides her with other material comforts: hands up all those forum members who remember the footage of that Australian tv interview with Sarah riding at Royal Lodge. The horse presumably did not belong to her........no doubt her mount was 'all part of the facilities'.

I also have to say that if suddenly a multi-millionaire came along and swept Sarah off her feet, with promises of oodles of money and the jet-set [as opposed to 'royal'] lifestyle that I suspect she in reality craves, I think that she would drop Andrew like a hot brick.........

Which is all very unfortunate, because IMHO, unless and until Sarah manages to distance herself from her Royal past - which in my opinion is long overdue since she split from Andrew some 20 years ago, I don't think there is any chance that she can recover her reputation. It would be wonderful if she retired from the limelight and began to exist in obscurity but I just don't think it is going to happen. She craves an enormous amout of money and she craves publicity and recognition, and all of that is not going to happen to her if she goes off to the country and starts a programme of carrying out local, charitable good works....

Just my thoughts, and not meant to offend,

Alex

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with your appraisal of Andrew and Sarah, though I think there will always be something in the back of my mind that Andrew still enjoys having Sarah around in a personal capacity.

I think Sarah is manipulative, but also deluded enough to believe her own manipulations. I think, like Imelda Marcos, Sarah may actually believe what she says, preposterous as it sounds.

I think you are spot on about Sarah. Andrew has always been very aware of his position (in much the same way as his aunt Margaret) but I dont think he is by any means stupid. More a case of not being terribly street smart when it comes to womens motives. Its unfortunate he has never found a woman to replace his ex-wife. Perhaps a case of having been burned badly once and not wanting to risk it again.
As for Sarah I still wish some rich older man would come and take her far away but I am afraid she has past her sell by date and is very unlikely to find such a man. Usually they would be looking for a younger trophy wife.

Sigh, so much for my die-hard romanticism. Diarist, your knowledge of the people involved (Andrew & Sarah) trumps my soft heart. Sounds an impossible situation for all involved. She won't go away & he won't make her, in fact, he might actually enjoy having her around if she flatters him & makes him feel needed. I assume she must manipulate her daughters in a similar way, and that is very sad, indeed.

I wonder if HM ever tries to discuss the situation with the DoY. As a mother, I can understand her wanting to see him out of an unhealthy situation. On the other hand, as a mother, I can also understand 'butting out' of adult children's lives!

Last edited:
I think you are spot on about Sarah. Andrew has always been very aware of his position (in much the same way as his aunt Margaret) but I dont think he is by any means stupid. More a case of not being terribly street smart when it comes to womens motives. Its unfortunate he has never found a woman to replace his ex-wife. Perhaps a case of having been burned badly once and not wanting to risk it again.
As for Sarah I still wish some rich older man would come and take her far away but I am afraid she has past her sell by date and is very unlikely to find such a man. Usually they would be looking for a younger trophy wife.

I don't think Sarah will ever let him move on in life and marry someone else; he might like the thought of remarriage, but with Sarah's unwillingness to move and live her own life, she is scaring away women who would like to marry him, but don't want to deal with an ex-wife who will live there and possibly cause endless trouble. If Andrew does want to remarry he has that right and at some point there will have to be something definitively done to get rid of Sarah once and for all and let her crash and burn if that is what will happen.

I don't think Sarah will ever let him move on in life and marry someone else; he might like the thought of remarriage, but with Sarah's unwillingness to move and live her own life, she is scaring away women who would like to marry him, but don't want to deal with an ex-wife who will live there and possibly cause endless trouble. If Andrew does want to remarry he has that right and at some point there will have to be something definitively done to get rid of Sarah once and for all and let her crash and burn if that is what will happen.

I don't think Sarah has that much control, she stays at Royal Lodge at Andrew's behest, if he wanted her gone, she would be. He's dated plenty of women over the years, for an extended period to the actress Angie Everhart as I recall. Really, it's Sarah whose not found a companion again, perhaps intentionally, perhaps engulfed in regret?

It would be nice if Sarah could be swept away and off to Monaco by some billionaire, but it's just not going to happen.

I think this year has proven to Sarah that "Brand Sarah" is beyond repair. She's only hustling where she's wanted, which isn't very many places. She only appeared on The Rosie Show because they're friends, "Finding Sarah" performed middlingly for OWN, her book sold OK, but not the major bestseller she dreamed of, the 60 Minutes interview failed to relaunch her in Australia, her US appearances (arranged at her publisher's behest) demonstrated her sense of denial.

Overall, 2011 has undoubtedly shown Sarah that her fate is sealed. I hope she can be managed and be as quiet as possible. She's over.

To a truly elderly man, Sarah would seem young and lively. We could put our heads together and find her a really rich old man who'd like the social prestige of being step-father to two princesses.:lol: Maybe we should start another thread, "Who would Sarah marry?";)

.As for Sarah I still wish some rich older man would come and take her far away but I am afraid she has past her sell by date and is very unlikely to find such a man. Usually they would be looking for a younger trophy wife.

Rather, "Who would marry Sarah?"! Now that's just mean. I am scolding myself before you all do!

The only problem is that it seems the older & richer the man, the younger he wants his 'lady', a la Howard Marshall & Anna Nicole Smith. Hmmm, nope, I'm stumped, can't think of a single candidate. But then again very rich, indulgent old men don't normally travel in my circle of acquaintances.

I wonder why Andrew hasn't been swept off his feet, as it were. I would think he would be eminently eligible since he's a member of the RF, and from what you all have said, apparently easily susceptible to female charms. I'm surprised some enterprising woman in his set hasn't charmed him into marriage. I would think especially that an attractive younger woman would 'trump' a 52 year old ex-wife. Is Andrew considered 'eligible' by women in his social circle? Or is it a case of 'once bitten, twice shy'?

Last edited:
Seriously...can we get back on topic.

The topic of this thread is NOT the remarriage of Andrew or Sarah nor is it find a spouse for Andrew and Sarah.

Additional posts will be deleted without notice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom