The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Courtier

I think it would have been a universal decision not to invite her. After the cash for access scandel no one would have wanted her there. It would have been seen as them forgiving her for her very bad behaviour. Besides William hasn't really had contact with her in many years so why would he even want too invite her? She isn't part of the family and hasn't been for a very long time. If Andrew didn't allow her to live with him on and off like he has all these years then maybe she could have gone away quietly. But Fergie likes the attention good or bad she revells in it. I think she expected a jet set lifestyle with Andrew but then reality set in. She had to do public duties which she didn't do a lot off from the beginning, she had her life mapped out for her in advance and it didn't include spending the winter skiing and the summers floating about! For some reason she thought Andrew would be around even though she knew he was in the Navy so she didn't think that part through either. Sarah is never going to have the jet set life she did for awhile when things were good but she didn't do it smartly. No house no money put away for the future. It was all first class travel and vacations! I don't think she looks ahead she is like a child she wants it now and doesn't think about tomorrow. I doubt she would be good enough to be a real writer she seems to need help getting the books finished and always has cowriters. If it wasn't for the Duchess of York title she wouldn't have had anything published in the first place. Everything she has done has been done using her title it is her marketing point. Now days though she has so much mud on her people just don't want to know. What could she be a spokeswoman for? She can't look after herself and still relies on her ex husband and daughters financially and emotionally. Sarah has become a liability to herself! I doubt she has learnt much from Finding Sarah she is still living with Andrew and still living the lifestyle that has put her so much in debt in the first place. Sarah does talk of the RF but she has been very careful not to say anything to negative about most of them. But if she gets really desperate and feels she has nothing left to lose that could change too!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Right and pigs can fly. William said, I believe, that it was a decision that was not his. And she is still part of the millieu, because Andrew loves her. He keep her close. He could have scuttled her years a ago.

When did William say that?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Right and pigs can fly. William said, I believe, that it was a decision that was not his. And she is still part of the millieu, because Andrew loves her. He keep her close. He could have scuttled her years a ago.
In relation to whether Sarah should have been at the royal wedding in April, I am still perplexed as to why the ex-wife of an uncle needs to be invited at all?

IMO, that question would have been just as relevant prior to the cash-for-access scandal. If anything, I would think that as the long term boyfriend of Beatrice, Dave Clark probably had a greater "claim" to an invite than Sarah.

It really does not matter whose decision it was to exclude Sarah - I suspect the views on this were probably unanimous amongst the key decision makers.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I think it would have been a universal decision not to invite her.
Apart from Sarah herself (and maybe the Yorks) noone in the upper society of Britain still thinks she is related to the Royals. Those who invite her are doing it - at least in Britain - because she has her own connections with them or her daughters. But why should the Royals invite her? She is definately exactly the person who gets no invite: an ex-, having brought shame of the BRF, talkative to the media, not popular, not important. Give me one reason why she should have been invited? For the BRF (apart from the Yorks, that is, bot none of them married there) she is the past. Unfortunately a very vivid past. In times past she would have gotten an "invitation" to a Royal Palace to take up permanent residence there: alas, not Buckingham Place but the cell track of the Tower of London. IMHO, of course.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Nobility

Interesting quote.
The Trouble with Andrew | Society | Vanity Fair
Quote:
“Andrew hired a team of accountants to investigate Fergie’s debts,” said a royal-watcher. “He paid off several million pounds’ worth of her debts at 25 English pence to the pound. Where did that money come from? Andrew certainly never had that kind of money. No one can prove it, but the assumption is that Fergie’s debts were quietly retired by the Queen.”
Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Serene Highness

Unfortunately, Sarah may be like the proverbial blackmailer who keeps asking for more, and as long as it's taken care of she will do it again. I cannot see that it would cause anymore scandal/trouble for the BRF or Andrew and the girls if someone were to call her bluff and let her suffer the consequences of her actions. She's already bringing ridicule upon them, IMO.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Are you suggesting that Sarah is blackmailing the BRF?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
I really think its a far leap off a high cliff to assume that the debts that Andrew was supposedly helping with came from the Queen.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Nobility

Why? His finances are there to be seen. Yes he's got some money but we're talking some serious bank. Is it that far fetched that his mother came in for the rescue.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Are you suggesting that Sarah is blackmailing the BRF?
Well I can see how that looks: You know, bumbling, fumbling Sarah, poor Sarah hasn't got a pot to piss in Sarah and btw Your Majesty, can you help me out a bit here before I rock the boat a little harder?
Yes, i can see how that can be construed as blackmail.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Well I can see how that looks: You know, bumbling, fumbling Sarah, poor Sarah hasn't got a pot to piss in Sarah and btw Your Majesty, can you help me out a bit here before I rock the boat a little harder?
Yes, i can see how that can be construed as blackmail.
Of course nothing can be proven without a threat actually being made. Acting in a specific way does get people's attention though and if they construe that in a particular way, well it wasn't your fault now was it?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Why? His finances are there to be seen. Yes he's got some money but we're talking some serious bank. Is it that far fetched that his mother came in for the rescue.
Actually IIRC the bit about Andrew paying Sarah's debts didn't go anywhere near her debts in the US. From what I understood, after the Cash for Access sting, Andrew did employ his office to assess damage control over her debts in the UK such as chefs at Royal Lodge or the Royal Post and things that would affect his own household. I don't believe we're being totally correct in assuming that Andrew stepped in and covered any and all debt that Sarah was facing at the time.

Perhaps this is why it came into public knowledge that good ol' buddy Epstein kind of "helped" out with Sarah's debt? I just realized that this little topic has never been mentioned either in her "Finding Sarah" series and/or interviews. With Epstein being a well known US financier, you'd think the interviewers would pick up on that angle.

I'm starting to think that perhaps both Sarah and Andrew are somewhat alike as they both seem to have a hedonistic expectation of the lives they lead. To me that's not too unusual either as Sarah IMO seems to be wanting to follow in the example of Margaret and even David and Wallis and have a "look at me" life.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Nobility

I remember that Andrew only covered her UK debts. What the article claims though is that maybe Andrew didn't cough up his own dough for it.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Courtier

I don't think Sarah would have black mailed anyone but I can absolutely see the Queen paying off the debts, as a way of protecting her granddaughters, (I can absolutely see Sarah being ok with continuing to take money from her daughters), and of protecting the image of the royal family.

It's also possible QEII still feels some affection or at least loyalty toward Sarah in spite of everything. In all the books I've read about the Queen she seems like she's very loyal and very old school in how she views relationships, ie you don't give up on your marriage, you don't talk about family in public, if you've taken something, (or someone), on as your duty you don't ever give up. I can see how someone with those qualities would feel that you also don't let your granddaughters' mother twist in the wind, no matter how stupid she's been.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Courtier

I don't believe Sarah is going to stop having money troubles because everyone keeps bailing her out. She hasn't really suffered any real consequences to her actions. Even the selling of access and not getting an invite to the wedding has worked out to be a bonus for Sarah. She has made money of both! She just doesn't seem to want to change anything. The Queen has a soft spot for Andrew he better enjoy it because when Charles takes over it will stop! I doubt after everything Sarah has done the Queen feels any affection towards her but lucky for Sarah she has two daughters she can continue to use which she seems to do.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Serene Highness

Zonk I don't know if your question about black mail was prompted by my post or not. I am not suggesting any such thing, but I am saying that her behavior in terms of returning to the trough so to speak, is much like the black mailer who keeps coming back for more. If you were not referring to that .... then this is just a clarification of my comments. :0)
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Nobility

[QUOTE=Osipi;1286814]

Perhaps this is why it came into public knowledge that good ol' buddy Epstein kind of "helped" out with Sarah's debt? I just realized that this little topic has never been mentioned either in her "Finding Sarah" series and/or interviews. With Epstein being a well known US financier, you'd think the interviewers would pick up on that angle. QUOTE]

That had crossed my mind as well Osipi, perhaps because Epstein may yet face further investigation, for legal reasons I'm sure everyone associated would thread very carefully. On the other hand in the "Finding Series" they mightn't have reached the point where the story broke.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
It's also possible QEII still feels some affection or at least loyalty toward Sarah in spite of everything. In all the books I've read about the Queen she seems like she's very loyal and very old school in how she views relationships, ie you don't give up on your marriage, you don't talk about family in public, if you've taken something, (or someone), on as your duty you don't ever give up. I can see how someone with those qualities would feel that you also don't let your granddaughters' mother twist in the wind, no matter how stupid she's been.
My issue with that is that old school would also demand respect and Sarah has never shown it. It's one thing to stand by her son through thick and thin it's completely different to do it for your former daughter in law. Unfortunately, if said son comes begging, does the Queen have it in her to say no?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
My issue with that is that old school would also demand respect and Sarah has never shown it. It's one thing to stand by her son through thick and thin it's completely different to do it for your former daughter in law. Unfortunately, if said son comes begging, does the Queen have it in her to say no?
If that article in Vanity Fair is accurate, then Andrew has been doing quite a bit of begging on Fergie's behalf, and it's demeaning not only him, but also his family.

If it's true that Fergie's residing at Royal Lodge has created a rift between Andrew and Phillip, then I think the Queen should intervene. I've said before that perhaps she should give Fergie a grace-and-favor apartment, on condition she sign a confidentiality agreement not to discuss the RF. It would be worth it to distance her from the rest of the family.

(Although I think this will happen eventually anyway. Andrew and Fergie are described as constantly grubbing for money; his mother may continually indulge his behavior but I believe Charles will slam the lid down). If rumors are true, he and William both detest Fergie and I don't see them extending much sympathy if she and Andrew run into debt again.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone think that Sarah is not going to run into huge debt again? She is still maintaining her very expensive lifetyle and continuing with her spending habits. I know she has earned money from the Oprah series and from her book...but the way that she is spending, it won't take very long at all to go through it. Five star trips to the jungle, designer dresses and handbags and the most expensive restaurants in town all cost money.

I just can't see (maybe someone else can) how she is going to earn the money to pay for the very expensive lifestyle that she is quite obviously not going to change.