The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Bertie I am so sorry to hear of your pain and suffering..I lost my own mother in January and it is painful beyond description at times, but I am so happy that you have chosen to persevere.

I think what prevents Sarah from seeking advice from the right people is that she does not surround herself with the type of people who might have a positive impact on her life. She is a gregarious woman who likes high living and the party life..and she probably attracts hangers-on and like minded people.( Remember that ghastly "financial advisor" John Bryan from awhile back?)

She may need to seek out new friends.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Nobility

I also lost my mother and have had a very difficult time.
We really do not know what Sarah is like or what her upbringing has done to her. Nobody knows, until they have walked in their shoes.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Courtier

Can it get any worse for Fergie? - Telegraph

This article gives a good assessment of Sarah's problems--partly critical but with some sympathetic quotes.

I was thinking about Sarah's behaviour and I don't think she's bipolar (I don't know enough about it, though). I think like some of you have said, a lot of it comes down to insecurity. People turn to excessive behaviour, like over-eating or over-spending, when they can't deal with some reality of their lives. It's like a quick fix and an avoidance tactic at the same time. I think this because I have my own experience with this, but in a different way from Sarah.

I think Sarah is trying to avoid facing her feelings about being unworthy as a person. Maybe she should get over those feelings, but they are obviously real to her, and they seem to go back to her relationship with her mother. My guess is that Sarah ignored her debts because she only thinks she matters as a person because she's Sarah, Duchess of York. She probably thinks if she has to go back to being ordinary Sarah Ferguson, no one will love her.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Courtier

Duchess of York makes all her staff redundant to help her finances - Telegraph
A spokeswoman for Prince Andrew said: "The Duke of York is very supportive of the Duchess during this difficult time."

Some might say that Prince Andrew is obligated to take over Sarah's finances because otherwise she'll do something reckless. Maybe, but he doesn't have to release a statement that he's very supportive of her. I'm interpreting that statement to mean that Prince Andrew is taking care of Sarah because he wants to and not just because he feels obligated. I just don't believe that Andrew does all these things for Sarah (lets her live with him, take over her finances) because he feels it's his duty but is secretly resentful. I think he married Sarah with the intention of being faithful to her for good, and whatever she's done, he's never really changed.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well to be quite fair, it isn't always Andrew who has to bail her out. It's The Queen, or her children, or even her childrens boyfriends.
But I can thoroughly understand your point.
Sarah wants to be the one, in the room looking outside.

People keep saying that Andrew and his family are taking care of her because else she might do something careless? I presume that means go to press and tell family secrets?
She must know some real horrible stuff if they keep paying for her.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
...I think he married Sarah with the intention of being faithful to her for good, and whatever she's done, he's never really changed.
Interesting point.
I wonder, however, if PA released the support statement to get the media to back off and give Sarah a chance to recover so she can MOVE ON and OUT. That would have been prudent.

Lumut, seems that SOMEBODY is always bailing that woman out. I admire her for doing it the first time--almost entirely on her own, however, it keeps happening. It will be interesting to see if Sarah breaks the cycle here.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't understand what could be so bad, that the royals are willing to go to any length.
Even if she produces a tell all biography, it won't sell that well and it'll be nothing original.
Also, if The Queen didn't pay her off, I honestly don't think she'd go to the press, because she'd damage the family her daughters are a part of.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Options for Sarah to recover from the 'Cash for Access' scandal

I don't know if it's right to start a new thread about this, but i've been wondering since the Cash For Acces scandal.
Many people have said that the royals are keeping Sarah "in check" by paying for her.
But what if they hadn't paid her off, would she write a tell all book, releasing all the information she knows?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

Unlikely. She does have some sort of confidentiality agreement with the BRF. But I for one, would devour it!!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

That would hurt and embarrass Andrew and the girls, and I can't see her deliberately doing that now.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Courtier

If she didn't have children with Andrew I'm sure that at least she would have tried to do it. But I doubt that she would want to hurt her own daughters like that.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Serene Highness

She wrote an autobiography in 1997. I don't know if it's tell all, but I remember that it ends with her poking around the refrigerator looking for food, or something to that effect.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

She'll publish a tell-all if she wants money.
But that would be hurting Andrew and it seems like the last thing she wants to do is hurt Andrew.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

IF and this is a BIG IF she does it, she'll sanitize it for Andrew and the girl's protection. However, I do not see her printing anything that we as Royal Stalkers don't already know.

(Unless it's some bomb-dropping revelations like Prince Philip likes to dress in women's clothing and high heels and sing "God Save the Queen" to Queen's rendition or something. . . .)
Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Nobility

She's got a habit of embarrassing herself but a tell all would be nothing short of suicide for her. Aside from the damage it would do to her daughters, and it wold whether she sanitized it or not, she'd find it all but impossible to live in the UK for several years, maybe even ever. She couldn't be banned obviously but it'd b hell on Earth.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

She tells quite a bit, but she doesn't tell anything damaging about the Royal Family. At least in print, she's loyal to the Queen. The only people who really get a dressing-down are the so-called "gray men"--the courtiers in the Palace who tried to mold her into a princess. She talks about the separation and the depression that she went into after it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
She wrote an autobiography in 1997. I don't know if it's tell all, but I remember that it ends with her poking around the refrigerator looking for food, or something to that effect.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

If there's been an agreement made with the Palace in exchange for Andrew's support from his office, I think we can be reasonably sure that an autobiography is banned. The fact that she hasn't said anything public since the Oprah interview is telling.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Nobility

I would've thought there was some kind of agreement when they got divorced. You don't leave such a family without a gag I would think.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that the fact that she's the mother of the Queen's grandchildren means a lot in this. The Queen might or might not help Sarah out of the goodness of her heart; but I'm pretty sure that she would do anything to protect her grandchildren from embarrassment. Embarrassment doesn't mean having horrible stuff revealed about the family; it could mean not ending the drip-drip-drip of caustic stories about her grand-daughters' mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
She must know some real horrible stuff if they keep paying for her.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

No, there was no gag order when Sarah and Andrew divorced. Diana had one as part of her settlement, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
I would've thought there was some kind of agreement when they got divorced. You don't leave such a family without a gag I would think.