The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Lesley Player was NEVER an Official Lady-in-waiting.
Yes, she says so in her book. However you hadn't read it so yes, you are correct as well. You might want to, though, as it gives some interesting insights as to the relationship that Sarah had with her father Major Ron.
And yes, you are spot on, Sarah was never an astute business person nor has she ever surrounded herself with people who were. She doesn't seem to judge character very well, IMO.
The only one who's been consistant is Andrew and I would imagine he's getting rather tired of it all. Or that could just be Russo's wishful thinking. So instead of surrounding herself with good people who have her best interests at heart to help her out of this mess, Sarah goes on Oprah. What's she doing next I wonder?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Or that could just be Russo's wishful thinking. So instead of surrounding herself with good people who have her best interests at heart to help her out of this mess, Sarah goes on Oprah. What's she doing next I wonder?
This ties in to the neediness in her character, those who are there for her are her "friends". So if you offer her something good, the childish, naive part of her personality will simply put her hand out blindly.

Here's something to think about, considering her absolute inability to get herself straight, how lucky is she to have Andrew? Not because he's her rock but because he isn't abusive. Not just physically but in any way?

We've all known these people. They don't listen and we've all known the ones who get mixed up with the wrong types. It sounds horrible but Sarah can't see the forest from the trees when it comes to bad situations, not as long as she gets something out of it. How lucky is she then, that she didn't attach herself to someone who would've prayed on her insecurities?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
How lucky is she then, that she didn't attach herself to someone who would've prayed on her insecurities?
She did with Johnny Bryan and Steve Wyatt (remember he called her "Fat" when she was pregnant with Eugenie?) though yes, I haven't seen anyone about her that has actively played on her insecurities. She's rather done it herself. Sad to say.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Hello everyone, I am fairly new here so if I break any "rules", please let me know :)

Personally, I have always been a big fan of Sarah's. Although I know that she has made many mistakes in the past, but yet it seems (if memory serves me correctly) if she so much as stubbed her big toe, the press had a field day with it. I honestly don't recall hearing too much good, but I do recall hearing a lot of the bad.

I suppose I feel somewhat sorry for her as well. I remember when the press started calling her "Duchess of Pork" and I recall thinking that it seemed like something a 10 year old would say (making fun of someone's weight issues) not adults. Being a larger woman myself, I know full well the effects on someone who is already insecure in the first place. Things like that being said is just right down mean and so immature and I can only imagine how very hurtful that had to have been to see splashed across newspapers. While, it doesn't excuse her actions, things like this could have contributed to them.

While I certainly don't condone her actions in any way, one never really knows what goes on behind closed doors either. (Andrew and Sarah's marriage woes) Perhaps she is much more the lady that many of you are willing to give her credit for. I just see many setting in judgment when there are bound to be so many other facts that we simply don't know.

I don't think Sarah is cut out for a royal life though. I think she was/is far to outgoing and social for the restraints that living that sort of life puts on a person and I am sure she didn't have much of an idea what being a member of the Royal Family entailed.

I know that I am rambling here with many thoughts so please bear with me. Being an American, I don't get the news that those of you in England get, but as far as her commiting adultry, your next King did as well. It doesn't matter to me that he eventually married her...he did it too. Just because he is "Royal" doesn't make it any more acceptable in my mind. At the end of the day, if Prince Charles cuts his finger, he bleeds red just like the rest of us do.

Sarah's financial woes are not totally her fault this time. I think that perhaps about 50% of them are, but lets remember that many, many wealthy people are now not near as wealthy as they once were due to the economy. No matter how you twist it, you can't blame Sarah for the 50% that is NOT her fault.

Sarah will eventually recover from her latest scandal but I also believe that when you are in a desperate situation (as she apparently was), you do desperate things. Once again, while I don't condone it I can see how her mounting financial problems possibly could have lead her to doing something like that. I just wish she would come clean and admit that she screwed up and ask for forgiveness. I think that would be the first step in redeeming herself.

None of us here has ever walked in her shoes and we have no idea as to the pressure she could have been under.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Courtier

Welcome swtnsassy.

Have you had a chance to peruse the many threads here on Sarah, including a detailed analysis of her divorce settlement? Those will answer quite a few of your musings; that ground has been thoroughly plowed.

Good luck and happy reading!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Royal Highness

Alex (Diarist) thank you for your answers, as always very informative and unbiased. Thank you too, dear Russophile for your info. Sorry, for my late post.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
What puzzles me about all this is why, given Sarah's personal background, permssion was given for the marriage. Was it because of the Koo Stark situation possibly and the feeling of not wanting to say "no" again. Even though Andrew was the spare it would seem that more concern would have been given to his choice of a wife as her personal life was not exactly white as the driven snow which seems to have been of so much concern at that time OR was that attitude just with regard the POW?

I think it was partly the Koo Stark situation; I've read that was quite serious, not simply a fling, and that Andrew would have liked to marry her.
Sarah cheered him up, and the RF seemed to heave a collective sigh of relief.

And since he was no longer second (after Charles), it probably didn't seem to matter if he married a woman who had a past.

As a previous poster mentioned, at first the RF liked her and felt she'd be good for Andrew.

(That's not to say there weren't mean-spirited objections; I remember one peer who was quoted saying that it would be the end of the RF, with Sarah coming down the aisle and McNally "sniggering." Yes, sniggering was the word he used).
Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Aristocracy

Hi swtnsassy, I think you make some really good points in your post, and I love you for sticking up for Sarah!
What you say about her weight issues and the bullying she suffered is interesting, and I know many people developed a sense of empathy with Sarah about this. With me, it wasn't exactly that issue, but I suffered from a certain lack of confidence and self-esteem, and I took a lot of inspiration from Sarah in how she dealt with these issues. I think a lot of people empathise with her because of that vulnerability she has, and how honest she's been about her problems and how she dealt with them.

Your point about her being not being cut out for the restrictions of royal life is very well expressed, and I'd totally agree. You're also so right to remind people about the effect of the global economic crisis on Sarah's finances. Her lifestyle was self-sustainable when she was earning the big money from Weight Watchers, Wedgewood, Westfield Malls, etc. When this dried up, the same kind of life wasn't sustainable, and, yes, of course, she should have economised. But, as you say, it wasn't ALL her fault.

You say that you wish "she would come clean and admit that she screwed up and ask for forgiveness". To be honest, I think that's exactly what she has been doing in recent interviews, for example on Oprah. And I think that hopefully the "Finding Sarah" show will be a further step on that recovery process. I'm sure you'll join me in wishing her all the best for that!
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post
I think a lot of people empathise with her because of that vulnerability she has, and how honest she's been about her problems and how she dealt with them.

Your point about her being not being cut out for the restrictions of royal life is very well expressed, and I'd totally agree.
Problem is IMHO that she herself is not aware that she is not cut out for the Royal life and thus she tries to live "Royally" without the restrictions she probably feels are for all other Royals but not her. She wants to live at the top of society and as her only claim to that position is a dissolved marriage to a British prince with a ducal title she tries to tie in that long gone detail of her CV into everything. That together with her never-ending problems are what is really annoying with Sarah. That together with her constant milking of her story about her oh so sad life. In a way that is disgusting, no matter how nice she can be in person - her public persona is embarrassing for the Royals and this will never go away as long as Sarah doesn't realise that the real problem is herself and her expectations of life. Only then will she change her lifestyle and the way she seeks public attention and maybe, maybe become lessof a nuisance.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Courtier

Please can I give a little background information:

I agree wholeheartedly with what Kataryn says about Sarah still wanting to live 'Royally'. Except of course, Sarah never had any idea about 'how to live royally'. Before you even get to the issues of protocol and formal behaviour etc, Sarah NEVER seemed to grasp from the very first that 'being Royal' is NOT a licence to spend money: during her marriage she ran up HUGE debts, which was needless, because she and the Duke had what was an initial Civil List payment from the UK taxpayer [later of course these were funded by the QUeen, but the principle is the same] which was sufficient to cover the expenses of Royal duties - which at that stage included sufficient money to run her home, staff costs, pay for UK domestic engagements [i.e. travel and clothes], postage, telephone etc etc. [Don't forget that - even today - the FULL expenses of ALL foreign tours undertaken by Royalty - i.e. travel, staff costs, all clothing worn abroad] are picked up by the UK Govt. Foreign Office in addition to the funding from the Queen.]

Apart from the Queen [and the Duke of Edinburgh] and The Prince of Wales [and William (Kate), and Harry] whose expenses are covered through the revenue of Civil List and Duchy of Lancaster, Privy Purse etc etc [Queen etc] and the Duchy of Cornwall [Charles etc] all other 'funded' Royals have always lived a relatively modest lifestyle. Obviously some have access to trust funds, but even so, their (private) lives are to the most part quiet and 'unshowy'. At the time of Sarah's marriage, if you look at Princess Alexandra, the Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent [the latter was still a 'working Royal' at that time], Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester and even Princess Anne [I exclude Princess Michael, as she is not an 'Official' working Royal], all these Royal Ladies' lifestyles were 'comfortable' but 'relatively modest'. Without exception, they bought relatively few designer clothes - basically, they patronised the more traditional couturiers [ Hartnell, Hardy Amies, Lachasse, Franka etc] buying around 6 or 7 outfits a season [long dress, suits, formal day dress etc] sufficient to carry out their Royal Engagements. Private family holidays were undertaken mostly with friends, or even, particularly in the case of the Kents, through taking not-even-very-upmarket(upscale) 'package holidays'. I personally have even seen members of the Royal Family in McDonalds once or twice, queueing like eveyone else [Staff night off presumably]. Talking of which, I know that Princess Alexandra and the Duchess of Kent and Gloucester can all cook (at least basically) and sometimes do so [staff night off again].

Enter Sarah: from the very first she began spending 'left, right and centre' - partly I think this was because

(a) Ignorance - she did not realise that 'Royals do not spend, spend, spend'

and partly (b) because her then friend the Princess of Wales - because of her access to Charles' Duchy of Cornwall funds - really could spend far more on clothes and grooming and travel than any other female member [bar the Queen] of the Royal Family and possibly also because of her relationship with Paddy McNally and the circles in which her parents mixed - Sarah had observed - the hugely high-spending lifestyles of the super-rich Formula One Grand Prix racing and Jet set polo world.

and mainly because - and I hate to say this - (c) Sarah really is - I am sorry to say - in my very humble opinion greedy

and (d) not very sensible at times.

I was, I have to say, also rather shocked last week to see a photo of Sarah leaving Mosimann's after a meal there. Mosimann's is one of London's most expensive restaurant/dining clubs. It is easy to spend around £200 per head there - not including wine. WHAT WAS SARAH doing there? If she was paying for herself I think it was very wrong - it can only have been because she felt 'rich' again following her exposure on US TV, in which case I think that she would have been far-better advised to have put the money she spent away safely for when she was not earning so much; alternatively, if she was being treated by a friend, I think that it was again ill-advised because it was 'tempting her with the lifestyle to which she aspires but which only the super-rich can afford'. [ How often do you see other members of the Royal Family in Mosimann's? Indeed, a couple of years ago, diners in a very ordinary Gloucester restaurant were astonished to see the Princess Royal enjoying a 'newspaper special offer of half-price ''sausages and mash'' for £5 a person!! I kid you not!!]

In both cases, I think the restaurant visit to Mosimann's was also insensitive by Sarah in view of the fact that she has only become solvent again by being allowed to pay a proportion of her debts to those she owed money to. [If I was a creditor, I am sure that I would not have accepted a proportion of what I was owed in settlelent with the debtor [in this case Sarah] was continuing to enjoy the high life...] On a personal note, I am very fortunate in that my husband is in a relartively well-paid profession and I earn a reasonable salary from my free-lancing [now that I know longer work full time because of family matters] but even so we CANNOT afford Mosimann's prices, even for a very special treat - bills for a couple can easily reach £500 or £600 from a 'fairly basic' meal [i.e. no vintage champagne or caviare etc]

Let me make this clear, I DO NOT mean to Sarah-bash, but this lady is over 50 now and has just got to take control and rein-in her high spending lifestyle in order to move forward again in her life.

Only my thoughts and opinions and I don't mean to offend Sarah's fans.

Alex
Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Let me make this clear, I DO NOT mean to Sarah-bash, but this lady is over 50 now and has just got to take control and rein-in her high spending lifestyle in order to move forward again in her life.

Alex
No, you didn't offend...I think you are totally right. A part of me is almost glad that Sarah is overspending like this again, because it means that once the money stops rolling in from "Finding Sarah", she really will have no money. I think Sarah needs a really, really big wake-up call (bigger than the cash for access scandal), and by refusing to change, she might just be headed for one.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe they (the Establishment) can pack her up and send her away to a fat farm like they have on that A & E show Heavy (Heavy - A&E TV) where they address the weight issue and the psychological issues she has.
Hey, she could get another weight-loss cook book out of it. . . .
Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
No, you didn't offend...I think you are totally right. A part of me is almost glad that Sarah is overspending like this again, because it means that once the money stops rolling in from "Finding Sarah", she really will have no money. I think Sarah needs a really, really big wake-up call (bigger than the cash for access scandal), and by refusing to change, she might just be headed for one.
Unfortunately, I fear you are probably right. The woman is totally out of touch with reality and Andrew doesn't appear to be any better. I really believe that Sarah's big money days are over. There will still be some market for her...but most Americans and Canadians don't know or care about her. It's youth that sells, not middle-age.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
Unfortunately, I fear you are probably right. The woman is totally out of touch with reality and Andrew doesn't appear to be any better. I really believe that Sarah's big money days are over. There will still be some market for her...but most Americans and Canadians don't know or care about her. It's youth that sells, not middle-age.
Itn does if she has something juicy to sell. No we know Sarah's been a good girl when it comes to revealing secrets but let's be honest, the gravy train is quite dry, apparently she's only getting $300,000 from the Oprah thing. Does anyone think she could become so desperate that she might actually start to divulge info? That is of course assuming she's out of Andrew's house by then.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 PM

Although I agree that Sarah needs to get her act together, but did anyone ever stop to think that perhaps she wasn't properly "trained" on how to be a Royal????? Personally from where I am setting, it seems that both Diana and Sarah were brought into this "family" and then basically thrown to the wolves to learn all the ins and outs by themselves. I think that once both ladies performed the main royal duties (producing heirs), then the royal family had no use for them anymore.

British royalty absolutely fascinates me, but yet on the other hand they are all "Royal" simply due to the circumstances of their birth and for absolutely no other reason at all. While I am sure that many of them are wonderful people, they didn't do anything amazing that makes them any "better" than anyone else.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

From the books I've read, both were offered training and I do know Diana refused. Sarah, I cannot remember.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtnsassy View Post
Hello everyone, I am fairly new here so if I break any "rules", please let me know :)

Personally, I have always been a big fan of Sarah's. Although I know that she has made many mistakes in the past, but yet it seems (if memory serves me correctly) if she so much as stubbed her big toe, the press had a field day with it. I honestly don't recall hearing too much good, but I do recall hearing a lot of the bad.

I suppose I feel somewhat sorry for her as well. I remember when the press started calling her "Duchess of Pork" and I recall thinking that it seemed like something a 10 year old would say (making fun of someone's weight issues) not adults. Being a larger woman myself, I know full well the effects on someone who is already insecure in the first place. Things like that being said is just right down mean and so immature and I can only imagine how very hurtful that had to have been to see splashed across newspapers. While, it doesn't excuse her actions, things like this could have contributed to them.

While I certainly don't condone her actions in any way, one never really knows what goes on behind closed doors either. (Andrew and Sarah's marriage woes) Perhaps she is much more the lady that many of you are willing to give her credit for. I just see many setting in judgment when there are bound to be so many other facts that we simply don't know.

I don't think Sarah is cut out for a royal life though. I think she was/is far to outgoing and social for the restraints that living that sort of life puts on a person and I am sure she didn't have much of an idea what being a member of the Royal Family entailed.

I know that I am rambling here with many thoughts so please bear with me. Being an American, I don't get the news that those of you in England get, but as far as her commiting adultry, your next King did as well. It doesn't matter to me that he eventually married her...he did it too. Just because he is "Royal" doesn't make it any more acceptable in my mind. At the end of the day, if Prince Charles cuts his finger, he bleeds red just like the rest of us do.

Sarah's financial woes are not totally her fault this time. I think that perhaps about 50% of them are, but lets remember that many, many wealthy people are now not near as wealthy as they once were due to the economy. No matter how you twist it, you can't blame Sarah for the 50% that is NOT her fault.

Sarah will eventually recover from her latest scandal but I also believe that when you are in a desperate situation (as she apparently was), you do desperate things. Once again, while I don't condone it I can see how her mounting financial problems possibly could have lead her to doing something like that. I just wish she would come clean and admit that she screwed up and ask for forgiveness. I think that would be the first step in redeeming herself.

None of us here has ever walked in her shoes and we have no idea as to the pressure she could have been under.
Excellent post, swtnassy!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtnsassy View Post
Although I agree that Sarah needs to get her act together, but did anyone ever stop to think that perhaps she wasn't properly "trained" on how to be a Royal????? Personally from where I am setting, it seems that both Diana and Sarah were brought into this "family" and then basically thrown to the wolves to learn all the ins and outs by themselves. I think that once both ladies performed the main royal duties (producing heirs), then the royal family had no use for them anymore.

British royalty absolutely fascinates me, but yet on the other hand they are all "Royal" simply due to the circumstances of their birth and for absolutely no other reason at all. While I am sure that many of them are wonderful people, they didn't do anything amazing that makes them any "better" than anyone else.
Sarah often boasted that her family had been around Royalty forever, essentially, and from what I've read, needed no coaching at all to understand who had to curtsy to her, what they had to call her (both of which she strictly enforced and insisted upon) and had her coat of arms ready at the moment it was required. In her estimation, she had the job nailed down before she set foot in Westminster Abbey.

Her subsequent failures as a working member of the Royal family strongly suggest that she "knew it all" and refused any such coaching; based on the 25+ years that have passed since she drifted in and out of the Royal family, she still can't retain the lessons of who and what she is, versus the very brief glory time of decades ago.

Sad.

You never learn anything the second time you are kicked by a horse.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Please can I give a little background information:

I agree wholeheartedly with what Kataryn says about Sarah still wanting to live 'Royally'. Except of course, Sarah never had any idea about 'how to live royally'. Before you even get to the issues of protocol and formal behaviour etc, Sarah NEVER seemed to grasp from the very first that 'being Royal' is NOT a licence to spend money: during her marriage she ran up HUGE debts, which was needless, because she and the Duke had what was an initial Civil List payment from the UK taxpayer [later of course these were funded by the QUeen, but the principle is the same] which was sufficient to cover the expenses of Royal duties - which at that stage included sufficient money to run her home, staff costs, pay for UK domestic engagements [i.e. travel and clothes], postage, telephone etc etc. [Don't forget that - even today - the FULL expenses of ALL foreign tours undertaken by Royalty - i.e. travel, staff costs, all clothing worn abroad] are picked up by the UK Govt. Foreign Office in addition to the funding from the Queen.]

Apart from the Queen [and the Duke of Edinburgh] and The Prince of Wales [and William (Kate), and Harry] whose expenses are covered through the revenue of Civil List and Duchy of Lancaster, Privy Purse etc etc [Queen etc] and the Duchy of Cornwall [Charles etc] all other 'funded' Royals have always lived a relatively modest lifestyle. Obviously some have access to trust funds, but even so, their (private) lives are to the most part quiet and 'unshowy'. At the time of Sarah's marriage, if you look at Princess Alexandra, the Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent [the latter was still a 'working Royal' at that time], Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester and even Princess Anne [I exclude Princess Michael, as she is not an 'Official' working Royal], all these Royal Ladies' lifestyles were 'comfortable' but 'relatively modest'. Without exception, they bought relatively few designer clothes - basically, they patronised the more traditional couturiers [ Hartnell, Hardy Amies, Lachasse, Franka etc] buying around 6 or 7 outfits a season [long dress, suits, formal day dress etc] sufficient to carry out their Royal Engagements. Private family holidays were undertaken mostly with friends, or even, particularly in the case of the Kents, through taking not-even-very-upmarket(upscale) 'package holidays'. I personally have even seen members of the Royal Family in McDonalds once or twice, queueing like eveyone else [Staff night off presumably]. Talking of which, I know that Princess Alexandra and the Duchess of Kent and Gloucester can all cook (at least basically) and sometimes do so [staff night off again].

Enter Sarah: from the very first she began spending 'left, right and centre' - partly I think this was because

(a) Ignorance - she did not realise that 'Royals do not spend, spend, spend'

and partly (b) because her then friend the Princess of Wales - because of her access to Charles' Duchy of Cornwall funds - really could spend far more on clothes and grooming and travel than any other female member [bar the Queen] of the Royal Family and possibly also because of her relationship with Paddy McNally and the circles in which her parents mixed - Sarah had observed - the hugely high-spending lifestyles of the super-rich Formula One Grand Prix racing and Jet set polo world.

and mainly because - and I hate to say this - (c) Sarah really is - I am sorry to say - in my very humble opinion greedy

and (d) not very sensible at times.

I was, I have to say, also rather shocked last week to see a photo of Sarah leaving Mosimann's after a meal there. Mosimann's is one of London's most expensive restaurant/dining clubs. It is easy to spend around £200 per head there - not including wine. WHAT WAS SARAH doing there? If she was paying for herself I think it was very wrong - it can only have been because she felt 'rich' again following her exposure on US TV, in which case I think that she would have been far-better advised to have put the money she spent away safely for when she was not earning so much; alternatively, if she was being treated by a friend, I think that it was again ill-advised because it was 'tempting her with the lifestyle to which she aspires but which only the super-rich can afford'. [ How often do you see other members of the Royal Family in Mosimann's? Indeed, a couple of years ago, diners in a very ordinary Gloucester restaurant were astonished to see the Princess Royal enjoying a 'newspaper special offer of half-price ''sausages and mash'' for £5 a person!! I kid you not!!]

In both cases, I think the restaurant visit to Mosimann's was also insensitive by Sarah in view of the fact that she has only become solvent again by being allowed to pay a proportion of her debts to those she owed money to. [If I was a creditor, I am sure that I would not have accepted a proportion of what I was owed in settlelent with the debtor [in this case Sarah] was continuing to enjoy the high life...] On a personal note, I am very fortunate in that my husband is in a relartively well-paid profession and I earn a reasonable salary from my free-lancing [now that I know longer work full time because of family matters] but even so we CANNOT afford Mosimann's prices, even for a very special treat - bills for a couple can easily reach £500 or £600 from a 'fairly basic' meal [i.e. no vintage champagne or caviare etc]

Alex
Sorry, but your diatribe, against, Sarah, is really very hypocritical.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Sorry, but your diatribe, against, Sarah, is really very hypocritical.
I am most upset, because I hit the wrong button. At any rate, The BRF lives at the very top. The nonsense about them being "modest", in spending, is just an illusion. If you are paying they are buying and when you are not, they think. Why, I don't know. The queen cried when they took away her yacht, which "you paid for". When she could have had one, at her expense, you are right she didn't. Gifts of millions of dollars of jewels given by Arab sheiks are quite acceptable. No matter what their country's policy's are. They live very elegant circumstances. They don't fret where their next dollar or in their case pound is coming from. They, until a few years ago, paid no income taxes, unlike the "regular folk. Where do you think they have. somewhat amassed their fortune from? The still have tax evasions, passing huge jewles from "soverign to soverign" and then distributing them, without any taxation. How clever. Sarah, is a novice at scamming the public, she has had good teachers, with a holier than thou attitude of the BRF.