The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Serene Highness

"If Oprah really wanted to help I wish she had organised Sarah's therapy sessions away from the camera, and then when she was stronger offered her a role (perhaps behind the scenes at the network).
An emotional and vunerable Sarah in front of the cameras can't be good news."

IMO, Oprah's main emphasis is a connection to the RF and the noteriety of SF. In no way do I think her "main concern" is Sarah, if it were, the therapy sessions would be off camera. I cannot believe any credible therapist would be involved in this at all, probably only the TV variety. This is just one of those TV/Reality/Tabloid situations, and the upshot is, SF is willing to do it for the money. I suppose in the scheme of things it might work out that she could have a future venture on OWN, but honestly I doubt it. This is exploitation of highest degree IMO.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Let's narrow the Oprah discussion.

Last I checked this thread wasn't about Oprah, her motives, etc.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Aristocracy

If Sarah genuinely wanted help from therapy, she would have done it privately. I'm quite sure PA and even the RF would be more than willing to pay for it. Sarah is doing this for money and hopefully to help her reputation. The former she has achieved, the latter remains to be seen.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

That sounds about right to me, kakieanne. The first sensible thing said, imho...
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
If Sarah genuinely wanted help from therapy, she would have done it privately. I'm quite sure PA and even the RF would be more than willing to pay for it. Sarah is doing this for money and hopefully to help her reputation. The former she has achieved, the latter remains to be seen.
I can't see in any way that this would enhance her reputation in any way, shape or form. A lifetime of issues that have plagued Sarah for as far as I can tell, most of her life. They are not going to be solved or "cured" in 6 sessions with commercial breaks. This to me is a "quick fix" for entertainment purposes only. It may ease the financial burden a bit for Sarah but I seriously think it will do a lot more harm in the long run as to how people perceive her in the future. Not a respected Sarah, Duchess of York but rather Sarah "how low can I go" Ferguson, reality show celebrity.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Frankly, I don't see that she can get much lower.
She has no reputation to lose, imo.

She might as well sell herself while she can still find a buyer.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

The nail has been hit on the head. If Sarah had any self respect at all, she would have had private therapy sessions, also by going into therapy quietly and away from the public, it shows a maturity and a determinedness to really get to the heart of her problems and a willingness to work at resolving them and healing herself knowing full well it could take many years of work and talking.
As I've said before, this is a quick fix for her immediate money problems and also more "fame" time for her. She isn't going to admit any of her mess is her fault. She'll blame the Royals, the Royal Navy (divorce), her mother, Diana, anyone but herself. A person cannot help themselves until she admits she has a problem and she alone is the only one who can help herself. Sarah is still an immature lady who will never admit anything. Her motto seems to be "I did what I did because people were mean to me and treated me bad."
Old 01-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Royal Highness

I'm afraid this is not what Oprah plans... the quote about being "morally bankrupt" was a tough one and I'm sure there is more to come of the same. Oprah will milk her as much as she can and in the US this means some sort of bootcamp. Because nobody wants to see Sarah getting away with all this mess. So I guess her "therapy" will mean embarrasment at least if not public humiliation up to a point where she is allowed to recover and to appear like a phoenix from the ashes. But to appear that way, she needs to go through the fire first. And I don't Oprah paying money and then spare her the ordeal.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
The nail has been hit on the head...
You couldn't have said it better, some people never learn
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Courtier

What went wrong with her? She had such a promising start in the royal family.....so sad.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
What went wrong with her? She had such a promising start in the royal family.....so sad.

In a word...greed.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Royal Highness

I think she basically only thought what the Royal family can and should do for her and not what she should and could do for them...
Old 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I think she basically only thought what the Royal family can and should do for her and not what she should and could do for them...
I agree with you auntie, I think Sarah either didn't realise or forgot that by marrying into the BRF she is/was exspected to give back as much, (if not more), as she was given. I think that she forgot that in the BRF you excepted to earn your crust by attending events, smiling and keeping your mouth shut, it's not just about being handed nice dresses and nice food on a silver platter, you have to work for it.

Please excuse my spelling and gramar, I have dislexiya.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Maybe Marie will forgive Sarah when Sarah forgives Sarah. And I mean TRUELY forgives. The kind that means "I'm not going to put myself in that situation ever again."
With Sarah, unfortunately, we have seen this distructive pattern of her life (over eating, over spending, etc.) over and over and over again.
I hope 2011 will be a bright future for her, really.
Russo, you are a light in the darkness. Speaking from experience, it is very, very difficult for some people to become who they are now, not what they were then. I personally suffered such angst, but somehow drew up enough gumption to get on with it. If a person wants to change, they will; if not, they won't. Personally, I pity her as she can't get a handle on reality. I have a hard time hating the pitiable. Hopefully, she will sit bolt-upright in the middle of the night and become the Sarah she needs to be.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Hey, we all have our "stuff" or our "Baggage". However, Sarah has been loooong over due in getting over hers. If she doesn't do it this year or soon, I will then think that she enjoys wallowing in it for the attention.
There is a lovely book out called "Healing the Shame that Binds You." By John Bradshaw.
Amazon.com: Healing the Shame That Binds You (9780932194862): John Bradshaw: Books
Sarah, IMO, would do well to read and heed the advice given in this book.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Stocking View Post
I agree with you auntie, I think Sarah either didn't realise or forgot that by marrying into the BRF she is/was exspected to give back as much, (if not more), as she was given. I think that she forgot that in the BRF you excepted to earn your crust by attending events, smiling and keeping your mouth shut, it's not just about being handed nice dresses and nice food on a silver platter, you have to work for it.
Perhaps I am much older than you which accounts for my memories which explicitly prompt the recall that during most the time that she was married to Andrew she did indeed perform her royal duties quite well. She was also immensely popular with the Queen, as was so frequently remarked upon. One thing which she coped with, quite badly, was the extended separations from her husband.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Queen and Andrew both have a good, solid, positive relationship with Sarah: she'd hardly remain in her position of relative privilege if this weren't so.

On her 18th birthday, Beatrice said that her mother was the one who inspired her most. "She leads by example and her behaviour is one that I'd really like to follow", she said. As with her daughters, Sarah holds and retains the affections of all who know her.

Nor should we forget that Sarah's latest position of near bankruptcy was not engendered by an extravagant lifestyle but by the GFC, which was worldwide and affected millions of businesses, including hers, which, hitherto, was successful.

There is lot more to Sarah than what some tacky newspapers print. From the minute she became engaged to Andrew, some sections of the media have been on the attack against her. Possibly, it's a habit which is too hard to break, especially on a slow news day.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Perhaps I am much older than you which accounts for my memories which explicitly prompt the recall that during most the time that she was married to Andrew she did indeed perform her royal duties quite well.

My memories are very different, for I recall constant criticism that Sarah did as little as she could possibly get away with.
Wasn't she known as Duchess Dolittle, back then?

Some employee mentioned at the time of the divorce that she was not suited for royal life; he was reproved for that, but I thought he was right on target.

Someone (Lord Charteris) said something to the effect that this woman is "simply vulgar, vulgar, vulgar."

It doesn't seem to me that she was ever very popular, once the wedding euphoria was over.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Royal Highness

I suppose we can try and look for the benefit of the doubt when possible
Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Aristocracy

(Hmm, owes tons of money, and was "conned" into bashing/offering up the royal connections? Sounds familiar should be treated more similiar.... )

Anyway, when I was a little kid Sarah seemed great. Prince Andrew seemed very enamored by her describing her not red but "titian" hair. They seemed to be great friends as well as loving each other. She was described by more than one person as a breath of fresh air.

Yet there was something in Fergie that always seemed a little dangerous like what is she going to do next and after a while it is no longer fun. I do feel somewhat sorry for her in that she was in the royal family at the same time as Diana, didn't get anywhere near the funding, but was expected by the press, and probably others to be able to look as fashionable, etc.

These things seemed to have festered in her, where she acts out, puts her foot in it over and over as if she can't stop. I'm thinking that with every joke there is some truth and that Andrew meant the 3rd child as a joke, but it really seems to be true unfortunately.

Andrew has surprised me at times with his old "Playboy Prince" persona that he can be quite mature, and understanding in some instances. Like when Windsor Castle caught on fire and he was there helping. Or even when the Queen still hadn't been put completely through the Diana wringer yet and had "banished" Fergie to watching the royal carriages going by at some event. There was Andrew by her side as if he was a "commoner" suddenly too. I was touched by his support of the women he was in a divorce with. I doubt now with the sensitivity of the Queen after the Diana trauma, she would have made that decision to have Fergie on the sidelines. She has become much more forgiving and may keep bailing out these "family" members that get into trouble rather than be blamed for hurting, humiliating, snubbing, etc. anyone.

Fergie definitely is a woman who cannot control her impulses. I never really understood exactly why they broke up. Yet perhaps even more than a bailout from the Queen, she needs a steadying source beside her. Perhaps this is another reason she acts out... Andrew and having him respond to her like a damsel in distress? Would that ever really be a possibility as others have suggested re-marriage? I don't know if she divorced him or vice versa. (sorry if someone else has brought up this point already. I am new to this forum and only could read so many posts)
Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
My memories are very different, for I recall constant criticism that Sarah did as little as she could possibly get away with.
Wasn't she known as Duchess Dolittle, back then?

Some employee mentioned at the time of the divorce that she was not suited for royal life; he was reproved for that, but I thought he was right on target.

Someone (Lord Charteris) said something to the effect that this woman is "simply vulgar, vulgar, vulgar."

It doesn't seem to me that she was ever very popular, once the wedding euphoria was over.
Mirabel, I think yourself and Polly are probably both accurate with your recollections, but perhaps coming from a different angle.

I think the main point Polly was trying to make was that Sarah wasn't/isn't all bad news. She was in the early days popular with her former inlaws, the Queen enjoyed spending time with her, and seemed to have a warmer, easier, more relaxed relationship with her than she did with Diana. Prince Philip liked Sarah's straight talking, no nonsense, call it as your see it, personality (somewhat typical of some of his own character, but he can't seem to forgive or forget Sarah's mistakes, and doesn't give her any credit when it is due). You also had Charles saying to his wife, "why can't you be more like Fergie?".
The Quotes you refer to were of course well documented, but the only thing I would say is that the bad/negative comments are so much easier to remember than the positive. Before Diana found her feet, and come into her own, the press found Sarah's more outgoing personality refreshing. The journalist who first coined the "Duchess of Pork" label is on record as saying she was actually surprisingly pleasant to him when they met years later considering that headline has haunted her since.

Sarah found some royal duties tedious, but of course she should have grinned and beared it more. Having said she doesn't strike me as lazy, when she gets behind something she seems to give it her all, and puts her heart into it.

I'm not defending Sarah's mistakes (no one could) but I know of two people who have meet her: one of my friends was working at a bookstore in Dublin a few years back when she was doing a booksigning and everyone found her to be extremly warm, friendly, funny and down to earth. The following week she sent the staff a card and some sort of hamper to thank them for their kindness on the day.
My sister's friend was working in a nursing home in London years back when Sarah and Diana visited, an elderly woman took very ill during their visit, and over the next few weeks Sarah keep in contact with the nursing home and the woman's family. When she passed away one of the first cards and bouquet of flowers the family received were from Sarah.

These are stories you won't read about in the papers and very much as odds with her public image.
I mightn't be her biggest fan but I do think she has more going for her than she's given credit for.