The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
That is a good point. Given Sarah's penchant for embarrassing behavior, it might be smarter to let her in so as to keep an eye on her...
I really think it would be better for the RF if Sarah was at the wedding, rather than not invited.

Can you imagine the headlines if Sarah was not invited:

"Royals Snub Fergie (Again)"

"Despite the guest list for William and Kate's wedding having ballooned to 3,000, the Sun can reveal that Sarah, Duchess of York is not invited.

Prince Philip has apparently banned her...."

etc. etc. The story of how the royals mistreated Sarah yet again (first the measly divorce settlement and now this!) circulates America in the weeks running up to the wedding and is re-hashed for years to come.

On the other hand, if Sarah is invited, what's the worst that could happen? Granted, Sarah has a penchant for disaster, but I don't think even she could eclipse Kate on her big day. If Sarah is invited, she'll show up, the cameras will focus on her for a few seconds, and then all eyes will be on Catherine again. It's a win-win situation for Sarah and the royals: Sarah gets a chance to prove she can behave properly at a big royal event, and the royals get to look charitable and forgiving. I honestly don't think many people are going to think worse of the royal family for allowing Sarah to attend the wedding.

And the idea that the Queen/Prince Philip/Charles/Anne will "wipe Sarah out" if she ruins the wedding is a stretch. Sarah simply isn't close enough to William to ruin the wedding, IMO. She doesn't have any dirt to spill on him. The worst that will happen? If William and Kate are married in Westminster Abbey in 2011, it will be 25 years since Sarah married Andrew in the same abbey...and she will make the connections, over and over again. But we have heard all that before.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Nobility

I didn't mean dirt as much as do something embarrassing to draw bad press to herself and in turn the RF. Does it seem a stretch to think she won't get a talking to to keep laying low and to keep her mouth shut as the moment approaches? The less she says the better, she can be interesting but also cringe worthy as well. If a (legit) fee is involved, well......

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

They might want to wait to issue the invitation to Sarah until after her series "Finding Sarah" has debuted on Oprah. It probably won't air on British television, but I'm sure the DM will cover it.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Let's move on.

If and when Sarah receives an invitation to William and Kate's wedding it will be adressed. We have so many months of speculative discussion regarding an event that hasn't even been scheduled yet.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
He'd say, "My wedding. My rules." Considering the feelings of most of the senior royals I believe she'd have to be on EXCELLENT behavior to be allowed. Not as an invitee but as a guess of either her daughter's or her ex.

It's not as simple as, "I'm your cousin so you have to do it."
It's "I'm your cousin, please do me this favor."
I can't imagine that question would come up. I can't imagine asking someone who they are going to invite to their own wedding, even if it's a relative of mine (and theirs). Who they invite is up to them, and not to be questioned, at least in my family it's that way.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
I can't imagine that question would come up. I can't imagine asking someone who they are going to invite to their own wedding, even if it's a relative of mine (and theirs). Who they invite is up to them, and not to be questioned, at least in my family it's that way.
That is exactly the way it should be.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
Also as an heir to an heir PW is more likely to have alot more flexablity over who he and Kate invite to their wedding. So if the couple want to invite Sarah I don't think, (I may be very wrong please correct me if I am), there's anything anyone part from the Queen can do to stop them. (Even then I'm not sure there is much the Queen can do to stop them having who they want at their wedding).

Please excuse my spelling and gramar, I have dislexiya.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Oh, yes she can.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Aristocracy

Hello,

I am new to this forum, i have been reading the post for a while and to me Sarah and Diana were the best royals. I have followed Sarah since she was married. My concern about William's wedding is this...was Sarah at Diana's funeral? I think she was shunned then. Please dont shun her now.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Nobility

Welcome aboard. Yes Sarah was at Diana's funeral, I think the night before the funeral was the last time she stayed at Buckingham Palace.
William and Harry invited her a few years ago to a concert they organised to mark Diana's birthday but she declined, saying her presence would bring too much press attention.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought, at the time the scandal broke, there were articles in the press claiming that Sarah would move out of Royal Lodge?
Has that plan been discarded?

How long has she actually been living with Andrew since their divorce? I thought that arrangement was supposed to be temporary, after Sarah's house burned.

It seems like she'd have more chance of recovering from the scandal if she wasn't living right on the premises and proclaiming herself mistress of the house.
As it is, it gives the media some ammunition to claim it's all business as usual.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Nobility

When the scandal broke Sarah continued on with a planned trip to the US before returning to the UK to face the music. Throughout that week there was daily speculation in the press, one story was that she had offered to move out of Royal Lodge. When the dust settled a bit most papers carried reports that Andrew was supporting her/standing by her.
Since then there have been no reports to suggest that Andrew has asked her to move out of Royal Lodge.
It was just Andrew and the girls that originally moved in to Royal Lodge, and Sarah was renting nearby. Sarah joined them in February 2008 (it was supposed to be for 6 weeks approx while repairs were carried out after a fire at Sarah's property). Sarah let the lease run out on the property, and didn't take up an option to buy.

Even through a significant amount of her debts have been cleared, I would assume that she would want to be a much stronger financial position before buying/renting her own place. Secondly when/if that is the situation, bearing in mind that she will be spending much of her time in the US, finding a place there (rather than in the UK) might be her priority.
She may well continue to use Royal Lodge as her UK base until she sees how the next year unfolds for her.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Oprah Winfrey tells Sarah Ferguson: Stop spending | Mail Online
Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post

Even through a significant amount of her debts have been cleared, I would assume that she would want to be a much stronger financial position before buying/renting her own place. Secondly when/if that is the situation, bearing in mind that she will be spending much of her time in the US, finding a place there (rather than in the UK) might be her priority.
She may well continue to use Royal Lodge as her UK base until she sees how the next year unfolds for her.

But will she ever be in a stronger finacial position?
This isn't the first time she has run into debt, and I imagine it will not be the last.

And as long as Andrew continues to "stand by her," he will probably end up tarred by the same brush. Besides, these rescue efforts give her no incentive to change.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

How many other people who went into debt due to the GFC were also in debt for the first time? Millions actually. Many of them are never out of debt but they aren't the hated Sarah so they can be forgiven but she can't be forgiven for making a bad financial decision just as the world's economy was going into free fall. For that she is to be castigated forever.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Why treat faithful staff like that?
Exactly! While she lives lavishly, her staff goes without and are unpaid. That is selfish and morally wrong. Just as trying to sell access to her ex husband.

Not only that, she is living off her daughter's trust funds, potentially eventually bankrupting them as well.

Will Sarah Ferguson's fall from royal favor be permanent this time?

I don't think any person who serves their country in the military needs to feel guilt about leaving their spouse at home.

Fergie was in debt more than 6 million pounds in the early 90s, there wasn't any world financial crisis then.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Actually there was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1990s_recession and http://econ.economicshelp.org/2010/0...-in-1990s.html
However she recovered from that crisis and then made a bad financial decision.

I am so pleased that no one on here has ever made a bad decision. It must be wonderful to be perfect.
I am not - I have made bad decisions and I have repeated some mistakes on occasions but I have been forgiven by those I lose and who love me.

But of course Sarah can't be forgiven can she? Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie are wrong to forgive her and love her aren't they?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Aristocracy

Forgiven? I neither condone her extravagance nor forgive it and the deep harm she has caused others by not paying them for the services they gave her over the years. Please see link above that shows she fails to pay her employees.

I think Sarah has a hold over Andrew in that if he dares to ignore her excessive demands, she will publish a very nasty book about the Windsors. She has hinted about a book she could write.

The constant plunging into debt isn't healthy for Sarah. I think those who care for her would give her some tough love and hope she get help for any addictions to shopping and other vices she may have.

What huge financial crisis, comparable to the current one, was it that last caused Sarah to be in debt over 6 million in the 90s, please? She said she spent the money because she wanted to feel good about herself and money provided things she thought she was entitled to have.

SARAH FERGUSON FACING BANKRUPTCY WITH DEBTS OF $7M — REPORT | Showbiz Spy - celebrity news, rumors & gossip
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I assume you read my links to the 1990s recession. In addtion there were recessions during the 1980s as well.

I find it strange that you, who don't know her, aren't prepared to forgive her for something that she hasn't done to you personally but those who know her best, and who have been directly hurt by her actions are prepared to forgive her.

I don't condone not paying people for work done but that is a different attitude to forgiveness.
It has been reported that she has almost cleared all her debts now - in about 9 months, sure with help but done.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

It has little to do with forgiveness for bad business decisions, trying to sell access to her ex husband is however a bigger problem than a bad investment.
The problem is that Sarah has a long history of embaressing the BRF. She just cant keep her mouth shut. It is not as if Andrew has not been more than supportive of his ex wife. He has certainly done more than most men in his position to support an ex-wife who was publically unfaithful to him.
It would be in Sarah's best interest to live a quiet life in the countryside or in another country and stay clear of the press. She needs to understand that she is not a royal and cannot live like a royal. She can live quietly somewhere, write some more books or perhaps get a job as a book editor, and do some volunteer work with local charities.
God willing she would stop giving interviews about life as a royal and also stop tagging along with her daughters at public events which makes it look as if she craves publicity any way she can get it. Sarah your 15 minutes were up along time ago, move on.