The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Nobility

Once again the argument makes it seem like Sarah was shortchanged. She asked for the small settlement so comparing her to Diana in that manner makes no sense. She then dug herself out of her debt and then replanted herself in it, any talk of what she did or did not get from Andrew is moot.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Once again the argument makes it seem like Sarah was shortchanged. She asked for the small settlement so comparing her to Diana in that manner makes no sense. She then dug herself out of her debt and then replanted herself in it, any talk of what she did or did not get from Andrew is moot.

She was shortchanged any any decent divorce lawyer would have made sure she received a lot more than a few thousand a year. The rest of the settlement was for the girls.

However that wasn't even the point of the discussion. Aristocrax said that Diana could support herself without the royal family and I pointed out that the reason Diana could do that was the 17 million she received compasred to the pittamce Sarah received. Why Sarah received such a small settlement wasn't relevant.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

She had experience in publishing art books before she was married. I think that if she had gone to work outside the UK with that experience plus her high profile, she could have done alright for herself. IMO the problem she had was that she felt that she had to make a lot of money quickly and so went for jobs that paid a lot but didn't have a future rather than go for a long-term career that would be stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

They gave Sarah a paltry settlement which meant she had to earn a living and the only thing she had to sell was her name, Sarah, Duchess of York.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I totally agree with you, Mermaid. That makes the most sense that I have read.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Gentry

She worked for Weight Watchers for over 10 years; I believe they paid her over $1 million a year, and from what I understand, she was the one that chose to end the arrangement. She also had many other endorsements and speaking engagements. Even with paying off her debts, she should have been able to save up enough money to be financially secure.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
She had experience in publishing art books before she was married. I think that if she had gone to work outside the UK with that experience plus her high profile, she could have done alright for herself. IMO the problem she had was that she felt that she had to make a lot of money quickly and so went for jobs that paid a lot but didn't have a future rather than go for a long-term career that would be stable.

When you have debts in the millions you have to make money fast ans she did - paid off her debts etc then.

She couldn't work full time outside the UK unless she gave up having any real say in the upbringing of her very young daughters (they were 4 and 2 in 1992 when she and Andrew separated and 8 and 6 when they divorced). She had to start supporting herself from 1992.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Courtier

So she supported herself from 1992 onwards? In the way she had become accustomed it seems.
She had a divorce settlement that would have been more than adequate for any woman whose daughtersī expenses were being paid for by a royal family.
There is no excuse for her, as far as I am concerned, but I admit it is going to be a bit difficult for her from now on.
She will just have to find another book that she can "write".
Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
So she supported herself from 1992 onwards? In the way she had become accustomed it seems.
She had a divorce settlement that would have been more than adequate for any woman whose daughtersī expenses were being paid for by a royal family.
There is no excuse for her, as far as I am concerned, but I admit it is going to be a bit difficult for her from now on.
She will just have to find another book that she can "write".

I couldn't live on her settlement as a single woman in Australia and our cost of living is way lower than Britain's. I have no mortgage and still would need more than that settlement unless I was to stay at home and vegetate without any occasional nights out.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I couldn't live on her settlement as a single woman in Australia and our cost of living is way lower than Britain's. I have no mortgage and still would need more than that settlement unless I was to stay at home and vegetate without any occasional nights out.
I suppose a lot is based on which version of her settlement you have read.
She has lived rent free and donīt tell me she hasnīt been treated as a free-loading guest, her girls are paid for and do not go without, as well as having money left to them, so they would not be a burden to her.
Her ex-husband has been very good to her and she certainly is not starving.
She is staying at home! It is not her home, but she doesnīt or didnīt seem to be vegetating, she has had boyfriends while living with her ex. She has been wisely keeping a low profile since she was caught out trying to sell access to her husband.
By the way the Telegraph published this about her settlement (incidentally which she accepted) and if you, in Australia as a single woman couldnīt live on it you must be very extravagant.

Duchess of York's divorce settlement was worth Ģ3 million - Telegraph
Old 11-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I suppose a lot is based on which version of her settlement you have read.
She has lived rent free and donīt tell me she hasnīt been treated as a free-loading guest, her girls are paid for and do not go without, as well as having money left to them, so they would not be a burden to her.
Her ex-husband has been very good to her and she certainly is not starving.
She is staying at home! It is not her home, but she doesnīt or didnīt seem to be vegetating, she has had boyfriends while living with her ex. She has been wisely keeping a low profile since she was caught out trying to sell access to her husband.
By the way the Telegraph published this about her settlement (incidentally which she accepted) and if you, in Australia as a single woman couldnīt live on it you must be very extravagant.

Duchess of York's divorce settlement was worth Ģ3 million - Telegraph

500,000 pounds to buy a home which has never been bought so that money has never been given.

1.4 million for the girls - not her - so again nothing to Sarah.

500,000 with no restrictions - fine but she did have debts in the millions at the time - over 4 million according to this article. Virtually the entire settlement was on the girls and not her.

Her small monthly allowance is about 10 - 30,000 pounds a year and that is not enough for me to live on if I go out once a week (to the club but not a night club for a dinner with friends), buy my clothes at K-Mart or Woolworths. I am not extravagant by any means - my luxury is mu internet connection and my craft work. I couldn't live on her allowance.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Courtier

There is really no use carrying on this discussion, it boils down to this.
You have fallen for her "sob story" and I havenīt.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There is really no use carrying on this discussion, it boils down to this.
You have fallen for her "sob story" and I havenīt.
I am not sure Sarah's is a sob story. It is a story of an irresponsible and selfish girl with few morals who had it all and lost it all twice in 25 years. She is a clear and living example to her daughters of how not to conduct their lives.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
500,000 pounds to buy a home which has never been bought so that money has never been given.

Nobody stopped her from buying a house and accepting the responsibilities that come with it.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Nobility

She accepted the settlement, bertie makes the point of a decent lawyer getting a better deal and I argue that a decent lawyer listens to their client and Sarah accepted the deal. Case closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Nobody stopped her from buying a house and accepting the responsibilities that come with it.
Key phrase "accepting the responsibilities", something she never does and possibly never will. It's strange how people half her age who act like this can be thrown out of the home, shunned by family and friends for having no drive and yet she gets to live in the lap of luxury, has everything paid for her and has taken no punishment aside from getting flayed by a public that already disliked her. We all should be so lucky.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Key phrase "accepting the responsibilities", something she never does and possibly never will. It's strange how people half her age who act like this can be thrown out of the home, shunned by family and friends for having no drive and yet she gets to live in the lap of luxury, has everything paid for her and has taken no punishment aside from getting flayed by a public that already disliked her. We all should be so lucky.
Sarah must have good qualities for her family to keep supporting her. Because like you say, others would have been thrown out of the home and shunned by their family and friends.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Sarah must have good qualities for her family to keep supporting her. Because like you say, others would have been thrown out of the home and shunned by their family and friends.
Some good yes but some families will just not cut the cord, which is what Sarah needs. If she knew that the door wasn't permanently open she might try something different.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

1.4 million for the girls - not her - so again nothing to Sarah.

500,000 with no restrictions - fine but she did have debts in the millions at the time - over 4 million according to this article. Virtually the entire settlement was on the girls and not her.

Her small monthly allowance is about 10 - 30,000 pounds a year and that is not enough for me to live on if I go out once a week (to the club but not a night club for a dinner with friends), buy my clothes at K-Mart or Woolworths. I am not extravagant by any means - my luxury is mu internet connection and my craft work. I couldn't live on her allowance.
If I am not mistaken, her book "My Story" cleared her of her debts. She had weight watchers contracts and the Wedgewood china contracts so she had plenty of money coming in. Sarah, however, being Sarah, spent more than she made. So should it be the BRF's fault that she's irresponsible?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Majesty

You all refuse to get it don't you?

Her daughters are the Queen's granddaughters so she has to have a secure home - which has never been approved. She did find one but the security wasn't available.

Had she been given an appropriate settlement she wouldn't have had to put herself out there to be a public figure who lost everything in the Global Financial Crisis - you know the one that has caused so much economic hardship in both the US anf the UK - everyone else affected is given sympathy and handouts from their governments but Sarah only gets brickbats.

I'm out of here - the abuse is just too much for me any more.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You all refuse to get it don't you?

Her daughters are the Queen's granddaughters so she has to have a secure home - which has never been approved. She did find one but the security wasn't available.

Had she been given an appropriate settlement she wouldn't have had to put herself out there to be a public figure who lost everything in the Global Financial Crisis - you know the one that has caused so much economic hardship in both the US anf the UK - everyone else affected is given sympathy and handouts from their governments but Sarah only gets brickbats.

I'm out of here - the abuse is just too much for me any more.
Pardon me, Sarah made MILLIONS and spent EVEN MORE to live life the way she wanted to. I'd bet a good Merlot that were she given the King's ransom Diana got she's blow right through that as well.
We can agree to disagree.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Aristocracy

there are better wines than Merlot out there to bet on. Iluvbertie is right, she has never been given an appropriate settlement and this caused problems.