The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Sarah's tactic worked before especially in the US, but she tried it this summer on Oprah, and Oprah's website had a majority of negative comments about Sarah. This time is different also in that she was caught in a video in a cash for appearance scheme and so she hasn't got much public sympathy as she did in the 90's.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Courtier

It didn't have a majority of negative comments, actually (yes I was interested enough to count them up at the time, positive vs. negative). It was split almost right down the middle with half saying Sarah was greedy or needed psychological help, and another half saying Sarah was taken advantage of by the News of the World journalist and/or the BRF.

But I completely agree with you that Sarah's tactic won't work so well now. And even some of her sympathizers in the U.S. might get sick of Sarah's story after a six-part docu-series. But Sarah apparently doesn't realize that yet. And she does need a lot of money.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't like so-called "reality television" and the whole idea of feeling good about ones-self only in comparison with others. I think that this program is probably going to be a disaster and expose Sarah and her family to more embarassment. Perhaps I'm hoping against hope that something positive, some little iota of progress will come out of it. I also hope that any money that Sarah makes actually goes toward paying the people she's indebted to and making their lives better as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Come on folks - this is a TV show for crying out loud. It isn't as if this well help her, if she needs help emotionally or anything like that. .
Old 09-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

How about, there aren't any options?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
How about, there aren't any options?
Well.. there's always infomercials

Billy Mays was big.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Sarah's tactic worked before especially in the US, but she tried it this summer on Oprah, and Oprah's website had a majority of negative comments about Sarah. This time is different also in that she was caught in a video in a cash for appearance scheme and so she hasn't got much public sympathy as she did in the 90's.
Oprah, I think also realizes that the time span of her talk show has run out. It may be one reason she's going to a privately owned network (OWN) To do documentaries.. to address issues and also be a network out there to address these issues will be among a few other thousands and probably rank right up there with Animal Planet and the Home Shopping Network. and.. IF you want this channel.. call your satellite provider. Then again, I don't think Oprah Winfrey will ever have such thing as a debt in her life either.

Sarah doing something for Oprah's OWN network will probably be watched by folks like us that will actually know its on. To be honest, I'll watch it as long as the channel doesn't cost me more to get. I'm not an Oprah fan.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Well.. there's always infomercials

Billy Mays was big.
Billie Mays could sell a water filter to a dolphin though.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Commoner

I could see why she would want to help but if it was some Joe Shmo they would be going bankrupt and I don't see why should have to help her especially if her and her son are no longer married. But it is nice however that she is willing to do that.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Gentry

haha! infomercials! that was funny

gosh I found that Oprah interview to be tragic. It was as if she didn't rehearse at all. very distorted. Remember when she kept referring to herself in third person?

she just destroyed her reputation (again) and now she can't make money from her title anymore.

I dont think anyone see's her as a prestigious "duchess" not even in hollywood. Her job offers are probably very limited in the near future.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Majesty

She doesn't have a title but a style commensutaye with her position as the divorced wife of a peer.
She has only one real option to be able to support herself - use her style of Sarah, Duchess of York, or have her ex-husband and his family support her.
She ceased to be a 'Duchess' in 1996 but will always be Sarah, Duchess of York while she doesn't marry someone else. ?That is the correcy form of her name since her divorce.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Sadly, Bertie's two options are the only real solutions for Sarah. I don't know if even Sarah, Duchess of York is going to be profitable for her after this past few months as I don't think there is a genuine interest any longer in her stories as a Royal etc. She was a hit after her divorce while working to get herself out of debt as people could relate to a divorced woman, wronged by her husband's family, working just like them to earn a living and getting herself on the right path. As I've said, the public is not as forgiving this second time especially when the person they had admired before was caught in a shady scheme, whether she was entrapped or not.
That leaves Andrew and his family. Sarah has gotten herself in a pattern of getting into messes and expecting others to bail her out especially her husband. I get the feeling she's not going to change because to change, she has to grow up and face some unpleasant consequences as an adult. Sarah doesn't want to do that so it will always be a vicious circle with her.
Lord, I hope her daughters don't turn out the same way.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

I think Sarah made a poor choice definately but believe me when you are short on cash no matter how you got there, you will do most anything. If the Queen bails her out it is on the Queen, she doesn't have to bail her former daughter-in-law.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

There's a limit on what Sarah can do as she is the mother of the Queen's and DOE's granddaughters. If she makes a fool of herself, the Royal Family is then in the spotlight again because of her. Having a talk show on Oprah's network, well, okay. Being on Celebrity Rehab as she wanted to do earlier this summer? Oh no!!! Sarah is her biggest enemy because she's a loose cannon and always manages to shoot herself in the foot.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Nobility

But time and time again she is bailed out and considering what she did in May you'd think it'd be impossible for her to be bailed out but still, here she is. It's sad because she knows that he ex and daughters will defend her to the hilt and it seems that she's taking advantage of that.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

You're exactly right. Sarah shoots herself every time by her actions and she keeps repeating because she has always been bailed out.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I think she should retire to a quiet life in some place faraway, say Florida. Andrew should provide her a 2-3 bedroom condo, and enough to live comfortably (say 50,000 a year in living expenses), and a clear instruction that she cannot speak to the media at all or engage in any commercial activity.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think she should retire to a quiet life in some place faraway, say Florida. Andrew should provide her a 2-3 bedroom condo, and enough to live comfortably (say 50,000 a year in living expenses), and a clear instruction that she cannot speak to the media at all or engage in any commercial activity.
Honestly, Andrew doesn't have to provide her with anything. Sarah needs to learn about responsibility and how to manage her own life, not continue to scrounge off of ex. If Charles becomes King, would he be as sympathetic to her "cause", Eugenie and Beatrice may e his nieces but I doubt they'd hold sway the way they do over their grandmother.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Aristocracy

Well said. I really don't think Charles would be symatheic to her either after all why the hell should he be. In my view all the girls are learning from this whole thing is ( A.) How to take advantage of people from their Mother and ( B.) How to let someone take advantage of you from their Father. Don't get me wrong I like Andrew. I just wonder if he ever gets tired of being a walking ATM machine for Sarah. Also please don't send her here to the US. We have enough overexposed train wrecks here for example Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, and numerous reality tv show stars. I know my view is not popular when it comes Sarah but I just call it like I see it.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Honestly, Andrew doesn't have to provide her with anything. Sarah needs to learn about responsibility and how to manage her own life, not continue to scrounge off of ex. If Charles becomes King, would he be as sympathetic to her "cause", Eugenie and Beatrice may e his nieces but I doubt they'd hold sway the way they do over their grandmother.
Whilst I agree on the principle of standing on your own two feet and not scrounging off your ex, Sarah has demonstrated that if she tries to earn her own living, she can be a major public embarassment. Hence my suggestion. The key is that it has to be a relatively modest lifestyle, with some clear pre-conditions (ie, no paid work, no media exposure).
Old 11-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Nobility

I agree with some of the previous posts.
I think it's important that Sarah discusses any commercial offers with Andrew. If she does and takes his advice and opinion on board hopefully she will be on safe ground.
I don't think moving to the US or Argentina is the answer.
My opinion is why should she have to? If they are happy with their living arrangements that's all the matters to them.
If Andrew bails Fergie out financially then maybe taxpayers have the right to question where he got the money (from the sale of sunninghill, did HM provide it? etc) but their living arrangements is no ones business but their own.