The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Now the Queen steps in to bail out 'bankrupt' Fergie | Mail Online

Now her former husband Prince Andrew has ordered his private office at Buckingham Palace - which is financed by £249,000 a year from the Queen’s own pocket - to sort out her financial difficulties and cut her spending.
Ok.. I went back and reread the article posted on the Mail Online and actually don't see any references at all where there'll be any cash flow used to pay off any of Sarah's debts. Just that the office of Andrew will sort the mess out and cut her expenditures.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Courtier

^^
I think that what the article really means is that the queen is bailing Sarah indirectly as the money that Andrew receives comes from the queen.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Courtier

My thought is that there are going to be controls put in place that she can't sign contracts, can't perform certain activities, and has her credit cut off entirely so that she can't bankrupt herself again. If that's in place, then it would be nigh-impossible for her to get herself in this situation again. But then again, she's a master at making a miserable mess for herself and for others to clean up, so you may be dead right.

I tell you this much: if I had a daughter in law who had publicly cuckolded my son when he was in the service, she would be lucky to still live in my country let alone get fed so richly! Competely apart from pimping out that same son twenty years later!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melibea View Post
^^
I think that what the article really means is that the queen is bailing Sarah indirectly as the money that Andrew receives comes from the queen.
Yeps.. the Queen does pay for the £249,000 to finance Andrew's office. Sheesh.. that's no where near what Sarah's debts supposedly are. Really makes me realize what an ungodly mess she's gotten herself into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
My thought is that there are going to be controls put in place...
Hopefully Sarah would agree to such controls placed on her as she obviously has no clue of what she's doing. If all she has in her pocket is enough for a Big Mac, its Big Macs she should eat (and forget flying to her favorite Big Mac spot in Spain too... ride a bike to the corner).

The BRF have beem more than generous over the years with Sarah but there has to be a line drawn where you just don't tolerate it any longer. I'm with you on the opinion if my ex daughter-in-law acted so stupidy, I'd just moan and say "not MY problem!"
Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Courtier

But I can understand the queen, is better to bail her than see your son and granddaughters being humiliated publicly... Although if she bails her without demanding her some kind of behaviour this is just going to be repeated again and again.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Gentry

I think--and this is just my imagination--that Sarah will be allowed the use of a place to live, will receive some sort of monthly stipend, and her debts will be paid off either by Andrew or the Queen. In exchange, there will be some sort of agreement to not sign any more business deals, do any more endorsements, give any more interviews, etc. I agree that 14 years after her divorce neither Andrew nor the Queen should still be having to be financially responsible for her, but at the same time Sarah needs to have some tight controls put on her. There was an article in the press over here that she was offered "Celebrity Rehab" for $1 million. I'm sure this sort of arrangement would preclude this sort of thing from happening.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that if Andrew's office is going to supervise and maintain Sarah's finances, that, lets say, she does do the 1mil deal for "Celebrity Rehab" then Andrew's office would manage just where that money went to. If Sarah is allowed (per her consent on restraints on contracts and such) a certain amount per month, then that is what she has and if she runs out.. its tough cookies. That way Sarah can gradually pay off her debts but with only a fixed income to control by herself, she'll have to think twice before spending.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy's mom View Post
...there will be some sort of agreement to not sign any more business deals, do any more endorsements, give any more interviews, etc.
Well, that's exactly what some of us here had proposed, but I doubt that Buck Palace reads this.

I can't imagine how the Queen bailing Sarah out would spare her son and granddaughters humiliation, since it's already been beaten into them by Sarah herself. Still, as low as this is, I somehow think that Sarah could and would go lower: hence the need for control over her.

What a rotten deal Andrew got when he took on this one. Coachman, my time machine!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

After this is done, Sarah is going to OWE PA and HM BIG TIME. This was a very shrewd move on HM part. Hopefully PA and HM will retire the Redhead. Does anybody know how much in residuals Sarah gets from her books? It's got to be something. And what with the settlement PA got from Sunninghill he can afford to make good many of Sarah's debts.
Better to be in a proactive postion--what HM and PA are doing-- than a reactive one.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What a rotten deal Andrew got when he took on this one. Coachman, my time machine!
As you said, Andrew is Keeper of the Redhead and boy over time she's had a lot of 'splainin to do. The sad thing is that this is real life and not a sit-com.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Administrator

The sad thing is I never NEVER imagined in my lifetime I would agree with The Grey Men and say she is completley unsuitable for Royal Life.

She is literally her WORST enemy.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
...I somehow think that Sarah could and would go lower: hence the need for control over her...
That's what I tried to say, some of you are saying that she was going to enter celebritie rehab... So they could be much more humiliated than they are already. And we don't know what other things Sarah is/was planning to do to reduce her debt
Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Which is why it was a very shrewd move on HM part. People don't realize how canny HM really is. And I highly respect her for that.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Serene Highness

I don`t think the Queen has enough money to pay off Sarah`s debts, if they are as much as is being reported. The Daily Mail says she`s almost 2 million pounds in debt, and I`ve seen that reported before.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Majesty

The Queen could write a cheque for 2 million pounds and not blink an eyelid. Her private income is massive. That is the income she gets each year from the Duchy of Lancaster estate which has a greater income than Charles' Duchy of Cornwall estate. The Duchy of Cornwall has an income of 16 million pounds a year and Lancaster is a wealthier estate. It is the Lancaster estate that the Queen uses to pay back the money's paid to her family from the government and it is that income that pays for her private expense, such as the horse racing stables. By the time you consider the money's she repays the government each year for her children and cousins and then lives an extraordinarily wealthy lifestyle such as renting a cruise ship for two weeks she can afford 2 million pounds quite easily.

I do wonder whether they are clearing the decks for a really permanent solution - remarriage to Andrew.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Nobility

I am going to be the devil's advocate and say that The Duchess is definitely not perfect, but she had picked herself up after the divorce, got herself out of debt. Alot of people have found themselves in financial trouble
in the recent ecomomic times.

I felt that if they had given her a fairer shake at the time of divorce, she would not have had to "sell herself", but concentrated on her charities.

One more think that always puzzled me was why she was not allowed to
live with Andrew on his Naval Duties, like the Queen herself did when she
was first married. She was left alone and had to like Diana swim or sink.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Well good. This is going in the right direction. If you all remember, Sarah always needs a holiday to destress. I am sure firing her employees was hard on her and I would rather have her on holiday with her daughters doing something healthy than stewing about it and flipping out, and getting into the wine and ciggies again. It may look bad, however I believe it is for the best in the long run.
I completely agree. I was very disappointed to hear about Sarah's latest fiasco-I had been one of her greatest online supporters-but I am also worried about reading how emotionally fragile she is...close to a breakdown by some reports.

For goodness sake why snipe because a friend(Sir Richard) has offered to to help her get away at no cost to anyone except himself?

As for Prince Andrew, I am beginning to feel that the biggest mistake Sarah EVER made was to divorce this man.

He seems to be the best ex-husband on the planet!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that Sarah has a grown-up woman's body, but that she's incompetent on some level. I truly believe that the Queen is holding her nose and doing this because it's the best of what options remain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sarah is a grown woman and should not have to go to her ex mother-in-law for a handout when she gets into trouble.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Mermaid I think you are right...she seems a very damaged child-woman and after reading her memoirs I kind of understand why.

To be brief, Sarah's mum Susan sounds like one of the worst mothers EVER. God rest her soul, but what sort of woman tells her thirteen year old daughter to avoid all mirroirs because she is ugly??

Then sort of sweeps off to Argentina half way across the world for a new life with her lover...leaving two
impressionable prepubescent girls with their father?

At least Frances Spencer fought hard for her children, even though she lost custody of them.

Susan Barrantes was apparently guilty of verbal and emotional abuse and neglect...and it seems to say much about Sarah's generosity of spirit that she continued to love her and welcome her into her life...unlike Diana with her own mother.

Sarah probably continues to cling to Prince Andrew because he does seem to offer her what she missed as a child.

Please forgive the armchair psychoanalysis......
Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Couldn't it be both?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I don't think it is "residual guilt". I think he genuinly loves Sarah and knows that he, and his family, were even in a small way, partially to blame for the marriage failure.
Some people thought it "creepy" that Andrew referred to Sarah as his "third child" in a speech that he made fairly recently (his or her 50th birthday, perhaps?). I'm coming to think that this was a truth spoken in jest. He's her guardian as well as her one-time husband.