The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
She makes these decisions on the spur of the moment without a thought. One of these days she has to grow up and realize she's a 50 yr. woman not a celebrity. She should go back to publishing, she knows the book world and if Jackie Onassis did it so could Sarah.
I think that it is an insult to associate Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Sarah in any way. Maybe if Jackie were still alive she could teach Sarah how to act like a proper lady although at this point I think the opportunity for Sarah to act proper is a ship which sailed many many years ago. I think that for the sake of her daughters and any further embarassment to the Queen, Sarah just needs to live a simpler life more out of the public eye.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
I think that it is an insult to associate Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Sarah in any way. Maybe if Jackie were still alive she could teach Sarah how to act like a proper lady although at this point I think the opportunity for Sarah to act proper is a ship which sailed many many years ago. I think that for the sake of her daughters and any further embarassment to the Queen, Sarah just needs to live a simpler life more out of the public eye.
Sarah is getting a beating as usual ......

Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If the BRF want to control her then they have to support her fully. As they won't do that then they have no right to stop her doing anything she wants. They can stop her doing things with her daughters along but other than that they have no control - and even the threat of denying her access to her daughters has ended with them now both adults (young adults but both over 18).
No, they don't have to support her fully. Considering the situation, most other people would've had charges pressed against them for the risk she put Andrew in and not just cause he's a royal, selling influence like that is a security risk in any business, not to mention a legal minefield. She's lucky they haven't cast her out completely. At this point she should be treated, ironically enough considering Andrew's previous comments, like a child. You will do as you're told and keep your nose clean and when we find it acceptable that you can do things on your own you will.

Impulse control is not something a fifty year old should have problems and if she wants freedom than let her take care of her debts on her own. She has to live by the rules stated as any other adult should, Andrew wants to take a helicopter to a golf course for a hundred mile trip? Well he can cause he has access to that kind of wasteful act but Fergie does not and she needs to learn it now.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
No, they don't have to support her fully. Considering the situation, most other people would've had charges pressed against them for the risk she put Andrew in and not just cause he's a royal, selling influence like that is a security risk in any business, not to mention a legal minefield. She's lucky they haven't cast her out completely. At this point she should be treated, ironically enough considering Andrew's previous comments, like a child. You will do as you're told and keep your nose clean and when we find it acceptable that you can do things on your own you will.

Impulse control is not something a fifty year old should have problems and if she wants freedom than let her take care of her debts on her own. She has to live by the rules stated as any other adult should, Andrew wants to take a helicopter to a golf course for a hundred mile trip? Well he can cause he has access to that kind of wasteful act but Fergie does not and she needs to learn it now.

What she did is done legally by businessmen and women all over the world every day. She did nothing illegal at all. She was trying to sell her connections with someone - something done all the time - you give me xxx and I will introduce you to yyy is not illegal and that is all she did.

She could declare herself bankrupt and thus the debts are gone but that won't look good for the mother of the Queen's granddaughters who are two rather wealthy young ladies. She simply can't go away - she is the mother of two princesses. Forget her relationship to Andrew and let's remember that her daughters are Princesses and the Queen's granddaughters and considering William and Harry's chosen occupations with no legitimate issue at this point it is still possible that Beatrice could become Queen. The RF know this possibility even if people here seem to forget it.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Courtier

[

Well in some countries it is ilegal, and very much so.
As to forgetting that Sarah is the mother of two HRHs as long as you are here to remind us we won´t forget.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I think that the ideal solution for Sarah would be to be a talk show hostess or have a programme where she could interview people or give talks. She is a natural communicator but I believe this would have to be in the US.
I hate to say it but I doubt a talk show with Sarah as host would last past the first season. Talk shows here come and go like night and day and those that last have the something special. I have seen her co-host The View and I've seen her on the Today Show and though she does ok I don't think her ratings would stand a chance to Oprah, Ellen, The View, Tyra, or Dr. Phil and if you can't compete with those programs then your out.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
[

Well in some countries it is ilegal, and very much so.
As to forgetting that Sarah is the mother of two HRHs as long as you are here to remind us we won´t forget.

In which country is it illegal for a person to ask for payment to introduce someone to another person?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:53 AM
Courtier

Unfortunately for her I think you are right. Competing against those would be impossible for her. When I think about it, she would only be asked as a member of the royal family (which she is no longer) and that would be that.
I have watched all the people you have mentioned including Dr Oz and I must say you have hit the nail on the head. I suggested the US as IMHO she would have no interest as far as the British public is concerned.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Unfortunately for her I think you are right. Competing against those would be impossible for her. When I think about it, she would only be asked as a member of the royal family (which she is no longer) and that would be that.
I have watched all the people you have mentioned including Dr Oz and I must say you have hit the nail on the head. I suggested the US as IMHO she would have no interest as far as the British public is concerned.

I don't understand how this post relates to the post above it, which is mine.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Nobility

It's been reported that HandMade films (which had bought the rights to 6 of Sarah's children's books before they ran into financial trouble) has been sold. The now owners say that as far as they are aware they now own the rights to her books, and hope to meet Sarah in the near future with a view to working something out.
It's unlikely she will get the huge deal she originally had, but they do want to do something with the books.
I think it would be a big help, and something that shouldn't cause any trouble for her with her ex inlaws.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Courtier

She should get out of the limelight, start a decent job, be a secretary or do some other nice but quiet job and continue to support and love her daughters. I can't understand why Sarah still tries to get hold of a once glorious past, she herself destroyed. She is no more a public person anymore since her divorce.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Intensive psychiatric Treatment ?with psychtropic drugs? aversion therapy- electroshock - oh get a grip- and going to the Antartactic just to make your day-and be out of sight-Most not going to happen post ever Lastly- to quote Hamlet- Get thee to a nunnery wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners?When are you going to suggest a lobotomy?It is too silly.
Well, actually, those are excellent magnifications of my suggestions. *I* certainly didn't take it that far, but Jaya, I believe you have a firm grip on what is needed.

The possible exception would be the Antarctic. I did research there back in the 1980's and it's a rather delicate and endangered area. Sure, the cold would keep the champagne chilled for her, but didn't you just agree that she should get off the sauce?

I don't remember suggesting a lobotomy, but you seem much more in tune with her needs, so I'll go along with that. Sure.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't understand how this post relates to the post above it, which is mine.
Of course you don´t, it wasn´t directed to you, it was to a previous poster but you are so quick off the mark that sometimes you don´t seem to realise that there are other people on the thread.
As to to peddling influences look this up:- Influence peddling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
but whatever it is, there wouldn´t have been such a fuss made about it if it was considered ethical for the ex wife of a member of the royal family to ask for money to introduce someone to him. Actually it was a great deal of money and considering his position as representing UK it is possible to think that no one would pay that much money to be invited to royal lodge for tea. She put her very kind ex husband in a very embarassing position, and I hope that you can see that.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
Well, actually, those are excellent magnifications of my suggestions. *I* certainly didn't take it that far, but Jaya, I believe you have a firm grip on what is needed.

The possible exception would be the Antarctic. I did research there back in the 1980's and it's a rather delicate and endangered area. Sure, the cold would keep the champagne chilled for her, but didn't you just agree that she should get off the sauce?

I don't remember suggesting a lobotomy, but you seem much more in tune with her needs, so I'll go along with that. Sure.
Was it Buddha that said be careful what you wish on others?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

I know she's wriggled out of trouble in the past but I just don't see her ever getting over this one. Many people gave her the benefit of the doubt in the past because she was young and seemed to be under a lot of pressure and she claimed to have learned from her mistakes. This however was her as a woman of 50, not just indulging in some affair, but calculatingly setting up a meeting where she aimed to gain vast sums of money for access to her ex-husband. The Royal Family recoil from situations where people make money out of them never mind the fact that some of this was possibly highly illegal or that she was also suggesting that Prince Andrew was involved in her dealings. Only he and she will know for sure if he was or wasn't but the RF cannot be seen to have anything to do with anyone involved in this sort of thing as it raises questions over their own integrity. I think there is barely anything she could have done worse in their eyes so I see no way back for her.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

Quote:
I was in no way insulting J. Onassis. Both she and Sarah worked in publishing houses and Sarah could take on book editing as Jackie did at Doubleday. That would be the simpler life out of the public eye as you suggested in your post. Please don't accuse me of insulting Jackie Onassis.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I hate to say it but I doubt a talk show with Sarah as host would last past the first season. Talk shows here come and go like night and day and those that last have the something special. I have seen her co-host The View and I've seen her on the Today Show and though she does ok I don't think her ratings would stand a chance to Oprah, Ellen, The View, Tyra, or Dr. Phil and if you can't compete with those programs then your out.
Oh, absolutely. Even a reasonably popular talk show by Sarah probably wouldn`t last long, and this is coming from me, who thinks Sarah actually has the abilities to be a good talk show host.

The problem is that Sarah just didn`t plan for the future at all. She didn`t anticipate a time when the money would stop rolling in, and to be fair, she didn`t plan for the economic crash (not many people did). People do forget, in all of this, that her debts aren`t just due to overspending--she seemed to be doing okay until Hartmoor went bankrupt and then the Handmade Films deal fell through.

The big problem is that Sarah, ever since her divorce, has been able to keep the wealth and connections of a royal by trading in on her ex-royal status and her fame. As a result, she never really experienced the consequences of being divorced from a royal. She never gained any work skills. People can say she should go away to the country and keep a garden and cook, but does Sarah even have those skills? I read an interview with her once where she said she couldn`t cook to save her life. Plus, the wife of a wealthy landowner could live in the country and keep a garden, but Sarah has no money to even buy a cottage. Unless of course the royal family supports her in some way, and that means they have the right to tell Sarah what she can or cannot do--but it also means that the RF opens themselves up to accusations of funding Sarah with taxpayer money. This isn`t a situation I think Sarah or the RF really want.

It`s a very awkward situation. Sarah could go looking for work as an ordinary citizen, but who is going to hire an almost-51 year-old with few work skills, plus Sarah`s notoriety? If Kate Middleton can`t work because of press attention or the fear that the company will be accused of using her for publicity, how can Sarah?

And, as Iluvbertie says, Sarah is still the mother of two princesses. Even with what everyone knows about Sarah`s mistakes, it still makes the royal family look miserly if Sarah is living in low-income housing or on social assistance. Because the fact is, the royals don`t work "ordinary" jobs either (however hard we all know most of them work), yet they have immense wealth and privilege.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Courtier

Sarahs' unlikely to take any of suggestions of anyone who says to do anything different than what she wants to do. That's resonant of a particular personality disorder.

And she seems to rather enjoy her life the way it is, dirty degraded and humiliating as it has been and is again.

I would ask, as did another poster, that she stop the revolting blame-game of "mommy gone!" because frankly, if she hasn't gotten the help that she needs to deal with that, then there is something about her issues that she rolls around in and enjoys.

And please, no more suggestions about dumping her on the US. There is an F Scott Fitzgerald quote ""There are no second acts in American lives." We don't have an endless tolerance for our own drunken losers, let along the refuse of the former Empire.

Perhaps one of the colonies/Commonwealths would be a better place for her renewal options: Canada, New Zealand, Australia. The Kiwis produced the estimable Crown Princess Mary of Denmark; perhaps they might perform some Cinderella magic and turn this sow's ear into a....nylon purse. (I think too much has happened to hope for silk.)
Old 07-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And please, no more suggestions about dumping her on the US. There is an F Scott Fitzgerald quote ""There are no second acts in American lives." We don't have an endless tolerance for our own drunken losers, let along the refuse of the former Empire.
Yes! I`m reading an F. Scott Fitzgerald book right now, interestingly enough. I agree that Americans aren`t nearly so forgiving as Sarah probably thinks they are. Americans are fascinated by royalty, I think, precisely because they don`t have royalty of their own. Americans aren`t any more impressed than the British by entitled elites, or by people who keep digging themselves back into debt.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Perhaps one of the colonies/Commonwealths would be a better place for her renewal options: Canada, New Zealand, Australia. The Kiwis produced the estimable Crown Princess Mary of Denmark; perhaps they might perform some Cinderella magic and turn this sow's ear into a....nylon purse. (I think too much has happened to hope for silk.)
Actually Sarah is quite allergic to nylon. I'm in the process of reading "My Story" her autobiography with Jeff Gordon. I hadn't realized how much of a country girl with a love of horses she was in her childhood. She really seemed to have a way with horses and perhaps that would make her happy to maybe somehow be involved with children and horses somewhere?