Jack Brooksbank: Is there a Title in his future?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mbruno

Majesty
City
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
I hope there is no drama for this wedding. Fergie should be there; this is her daughter. I never understood why she was not invited to William and Kate's and only going to the outskirts of Sandringham. I also remember reading that Andrew want assurances that any man that marries his daughters get an earldom.

Is that true ? I don't think Jack will get an earldom. None of Princess Anne's husbands did and they were the monarch's sons-in-law.

If Mr Brooksbank is made an Earl 'i'll eat my hat'...

I also would love it if Princess Eugenie kept her title, she was born a blood princess and should remain such for it is her birthright..

She will remain a princess and an HRH, but she will be known as HRH Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank instead of HRH Princess Eugenie of York.

If Jack got an earldom, which I think is VERY unlikely despite the opinion of other posters, she would be known as HRH Princess Eugenie, Countess of [xxx].

Is that true ? I don't think Jack will get an earldom. None of Princess Anne's husbands did and they were the monarch's sons-in-law.

I don't see it either but who knows. We heard plenty how Andrew, allegedly, has complained about the girls not being senior working royals. And all that other stuff. I can see him insisting but it all comes down to the Queen.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t get an earldom because of the slimming down of TRF, but I’m not sure Anne’s a good comparison. My understanding, at least where her first husband was concerned, he didn’t want a dukedom. And they didn’t want titles for their children.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t get an earldom because of the slimming down of TRF, but I’m not sure Anne’s a good comparison. My understanding, at least where her first husband was concerned, he didn’t want a dukedom. And they didn’t want titles for their children.

Mark wasn't offered a Dukedom--it was the title of Earl.

That was a rumor but the reality is that she, as the daughter, wasn't going to ever see her kids have a title as it passed down via the husband. She was outranked by her brothers. Neither husband got it. I don't really expect it for Jack, but times have changed since then. So who knows. Andrew and Sarah would definitely want him to be given titles. Eugenie will always be HRH. Also not being a working royal comes into play, I imagine.

Last edited:
Had Capt. Phillips been given an Earldom, on his death his eldest Son, Peter Phillips would have become the second Earl of x, being promoted from Viscount x [his courtesy title from birth]. The first Earl's younger sons being 'the hon'. [christian name] Phillips, the daughters being 'Lady' [Christian name] Phillips, whether by Princess Anne or a second/third wife.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any chance of Jack Brooksbank being given a title. Even if the Queen personally thought it would be nice, or should happen, she is usually very good at judging public opinion and she would know that it wouldn't go down well at all. She'll be titled the same as HRH Princess Alexandra with the Mrs Brooksbank tagged onto the end (I know Angus Ogilvy was offered an Earldom, but Princess Alexandra was much more of a working royal than Princess Eugenie is and public opinon was better of her).

Beautiful engagement ring though.

I don't see them being allowed OK or Hello. There seems to be alot of bad feeling surrounding Peter Phillips' selling of his wedding photos and we haven't seen it since with any of them.

That rumour was firmly denied by the Duke of York.

Mark Phillips refused a title.

I'm sure it's been discussed...my guess is they don't want a title. They will be private citizens.

LaRae

Welcome to Jack Brooksbanak: Is there a Title in his Future thread.

Forty five years, Princess Anne and her fiance, Mark Phillips declined the offer of a title for Mark Phillips upon their marriage. Today, Buckingham Palace announced the engagement of Princess Eugenie of York to Jack Brooksbank. The world is a much different place than it was in 1973.

What are the chances that Queen Elizabeth will offer Jack a title? And if she did, what do you think the public reaction would be to such an offer.

Let's have a civil discussion on whether or not this could happen.

And let's be clear...there will be no York bashing! Those posts will be deleted without notice.

What title could he have (supposing he would receive one): Duke, Earl, Count? Of what? WHich titles are currently "not ocupied"?

I don't see it happening but if so I guess he would be an Earl

I just figured whomever Eugenie married due to their position etc they would not have titles granted to their husbands, they would all just be private people like Peter/Zara....not sure what the Queen's position on this is.

LaRae

The only princess born, in HM's reign, whose husband has been given at title was Margaret's in 1960.

Alexandra's husband wasn't offered a title (Honourable is not really a 'title' and isn't hereditary).

Anne has had two husband and refused a title for one and the second wasn't offered one.

I doubt therefore if either of Andrew's girls are going to be getting titles for their husbands.

The British public would object absolutely - not just because of the dislike of the York's but also because of the view that there is no need for titles (remember too that if Jack was given a title he would be able to have an automatic seat in the House of Lords - as the first holder of that title in the present creation - and it would also mean a title for Beatrice's husband in the future).

Eugenie seems less interested in the royal lifestyle and more accepting of the normal life so I doubt that she would be all that interested in her husband having a title.

I don't see it really happening either. As I stated, the world is a different place than it was when she offered one to Mark Phillips.

When was the last time she created a title for someone she wasn't related to?

ETA:
The only princess born, in HM's reign, whose husband has been given at title was Margaret's in 1960.

Alexandra's husband wasn't offered a title (Honourable is not really a 'title' and isn't hereditary).

Anne has had two husband and refused a title for one and the second wasn't offered one.

I doubt therefore if either of Andrew's girls are going to be getting titles for their husbands.

The British public would object absolutely - not just because of the dislike of the York's but also because of the view that there is no need for titles (remember too that if Jack was given a title he would be able to have an automatic seat in the House of Lords - as the first holder of that title in the present creation - and it would also mean a title for Beatrice's husband in the future).

Eugenie seems less interested in the royal lifestyle and more accepting of the normal life so I doubt that she would be all that interested in her husband having a title.

Bertie...can you expand on what I bolded? I thought the House of Lords was abolished?

While it probably won't happen I do like the sound of HRH Princess Eugenie, Baroness Brooksbank.

IMHO, I don't think either Eugenie or Jack will want a title, in fact looking at them and what they do today with their lives shows how I believe they will continue the same. They both are young working professionals who clearly already have a life set for themselves, so why disrupt it with titles and what nots of a royal life........other then a place to live which I don't believe they have together nothing else is really needed by them.

William will be king someday, a cousin, and Harry and his family will eventually fade into dust so to speak when George and siblings get older, so the York princesses will just go on with their own lives as it should be. I think they are the ones that are more set for life as being on the outside of a royal family then being in the inside of a royal family......they have what money can't buy.........*freedom* to live their own lives!

While it probably won't happen I do like the sound of HRH Princess Eugenie, Baroness Brooksbank.

I think it would be HRH Princess Eugenie, Lady Brooksbank if Jack were created a hereditary baron. If he got a peerage though, which most likely won't happen, it would probably be an earldom and then she would be styled
HRH Princess Eugenie, Countess (of) [xxxx].

I don't see any kind of a title for Jack whatsoever either.

It would be totally different if he was marrying Eugenie and they both were slated to work for the "Firm" representing the Queen but as that doesn't seem to be in the cards or even in the whole deck, I don't see a need for a title.

Eugenie and Jack's children will not have titles nor will they actually be considered members of the royal family. Their mother and their grandfather will be prince and princesses of the United Kingdom but they, themselves, will be always extended members of the family and not considered royal.

I think this is how Eugenie and Jack will prefer it to be.

Nope to the thread question. That is unless they go on to earn something later. But I find that unlikely as they both are doers and not so fond of the irritating bits of protocol. It also happens so rarely these days. But one does not know what needs the future will present; nor who will answer those calls.

I'd add that while Eug seems to have many attributes that the BRF require, the book on her Dad and the POW is that things are not so rosy between them. I think the Queen is past the point where she is making decisions that Charles will have to live with. And I think Charles sees this as a non starter. JMO

Besides, it appears Eug and Jack both seem genuinely happy with the lives that have carved out in the world. I'm not sure that a title is high up on their lists of wants/needs. They seem pretty squared away and realistic rather than dreamy. JMO.

Last edited:
I don't see it really happening either. As I stated, the world is a different place than it was when she offered one to Mark Phillips.

ETA:

Bertie...can you expand on what I bolded? I thought the House of Lords was abolished?

The House of Lords has not been abolished, but the automatic right of hereditary peers to sit in the House of Lords was abolished in 1999. There are still 92 hereditary seats in the House though. Two of those are ex-officio; the others are occupied, when they become vacant, by a person elected by the House of Lords itself among hereditary peers who stand for election.

It is intended that, in the future,all hereditary seats will be gone, but we are not there yet.

EDIT: The following Wikipedia article provides more detailed information on how a hereditary peer may be elected to take a seat in the House of Lords.

Last edited:

ETA:

The House of Lords is definitely still there.

What changed in 1999 was the qualifications to be a member of the House of Lords:

The Lords Spiritual - Archbishops of Canterbury and York and the next 12 most senior bishops of the Church of England

The Lords Temporal - ALL life peers and 92 elected hereditary peers.
One additional criteria they put in there was that any hereditary peer for whom the title had been created was also allowed a seat for life - Philip, Charles and Andrew refused that right but Lord Swowdon took it up - although he asked for a Life Peerage to go along with the hereditary one.

One thing I have to correct - a new hereditary peer doesn't have the right to sit - only the first of the new creation created before the reforms came into effect in 1999.

I don't see any kind of a title for Jack whatsoever either.

It would be totally different if he was marrying Eugenie and they both were slated to work for the "Firm" representing the Queen but as that doesn't seem to be in the cards or even in the whole deck, I don't see a need for a title.

Eugenie and Jack's children will not have titles nor will they actually be considered members of the royal family. Their mother and their grandfather will be prince and princesses of the United Kingdom but they, themselves, will be always extended members of the family and not considered royal.

I think this is how Eugenie and Jack will prefer it to be.

I disagree in part. Eugenie may never become a "working royal", but she will always be a princess of the United Kingdom and an HRH unless some future monarch issues LPs to strip her of that title and style, which I am sure will not happen. So, from my POV, Eugenie will always be royal, whether she works for "the Firm" or not.

I say there is zero chance that the Queen will bestow a title/peerage on the couple on their wedding day. With Prince Harry marrying and a high chance of future children, Princess Eugenie will be pushed further down the Line of Succession.

Back
Top Bottom