The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-24-2018, 10:35 PM
Courtier

This was also posted in another forum. Interesting comments by Jack's 91-year old grandmother.

Eugenie was forced to delay her wedding to Jack Brooksbank | Daily Mail Online

Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
This was also posted in another forum. Interesting comments by Jack's 91-year old grandmother.

Eugenie was forced to delay her wedding to Jack Brooksbank | Daily Mail Online
I'm skeptical of the supposed quotes from his grandmother-not very nice at all.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see anything wrong about what she said.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-24-2018, 11:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The Queen is not the prime example of 91 year old grandmother. She's a woman that has had her finger on the pulse of the nation for over 65 years. Jack's grandmother, approximately the same age, is probably prone to seeing things as she is used to seeing them without much change in how things are.

This is a woman that has lived through the abdication, WWII and probably has a very old fashioned mindset. Although she probably loves and dotes on Jack, the idea that he could move up and circulate in royal society was not something that she ever figured could happen. Its possible that she still sees the BRF as "the creme de la creme" and still elevates them above the common person.

It will be interesting though at Eugenie and Beatrice's wedding when the two nonagenarian grandmothers come together. That will be a picture to see. Perhaps HM will find a kindred soul in her.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 01-25-2018, 06:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I'm skeptical of the supposed quotes from his grandmother-not very nice at all.
My thoughts exactly. Other newspapers refer to them as "lighthearted" so maybe that was the intention?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Courtier

Jack Brooksbank is a descendant of Joseph Moses Levy, founder of the Daily Telegraph. Of course, this also means he has Jewish ancestry.

Brief biography of Joseph Moses Levy:

LEVY, JOSEPH MOSES - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Joseph Moses Levy (1812-1888)
m. Esther Cohen
|
Edward Levy-Lawson 1st Baron Burnham (1833-1916)
m. Harriette Georgiana Webster
|
Harry Lawson Webster Levy-Lawson 1st Viscount Burnham (1862-1933)
m. Olive de Bathe
|
Hon. Dorothy Olive Lawson (1885-1937)
m. Maj. Hon. Sir John Spencer Coke
|
Celia Dorothy Coke (1919-1996)
m. Capt. Stamp Godfrey Brooksbank
|
George Edward Hugh Brooksbank (b. 1949)
m. Nicola Newton
|
Jack Christopher Stamp Brooksbank (b. 1986)

Incidentally, Jack's great-great-grandmother Olive de Bathe was the sister of Sir Hugh de Bathe, 5th Baronet, second husband of Lillie Langtry.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

de Bathe baronets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bathe_baronets
Old 01-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Thank you for sharing this! Olive de Bathe's parents had a very interesting story, didn't they?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:09 AM
Courtier

I am intrigued as to the origins of the name Stamp.
Jack inherited that name from his grandfather. Jack has an interesting full name.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Jack inherited that name from his grandfather. Jack has an interesting full name.
Apparently the first Stamp Brooksbank was the son of Joseph Brooksbank and Mary Stamp.

This might be of interest to those of you who live in the U.S.A.:

Jack Brooksbank has an American connection. His great-grandfather Giles Newton was born in Windom, Cottonwood County, Minnesota, U.S.A. in 1891.

Giles was the son of William Latham Newton, from a minor Yorkshire gentry family, who left England for America as a young man in the mid-1880s. He farmed near Windom with a small group of other English immigrants, including his sister Mary who kept house for them.

William returned to England in 1886 and married Violet Harrison, the daughter of a timber merchant from Leeds. He took her back to Minnesota and continued to farm before moving into Windom where he owned & operated a livery barn and served as a director of the Cottonwood County Bank, which he helped organize.

In 1893 William & Violet (and their children) returned to England for good, where William was employed as an inspector for the Board of Agriculture (civil servant).
Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Courtier

Another article on Jack Brooksbank's "posh" family background:

Princess Eugenie's fiance is every bit as posh as she is! - cetusnews
Old 01-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Anyone have a picture of Thomas, Jack's brother?

Other events this year;

Possible big Windsor Castle party for

Princess Beatrice 30; on 8th August.
Prince Charles 70; 14th November.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
Anyone have a picture of Thomas, Jack's brother?

Other events this year;

Possible big Windsor Castle party for

Princess Beatrice 30; on 8th August.
Prince Charles 70; 14th November.
Charles' is likely to be held at Highgrove. His 60th birthday was. It is usually where he hosts those type of events for himself and his wife.

I would expect a party for Bea, not sure at the main castle.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Apparently the first Stamp Brooksbank was the son of Joseph Brooksbank and Mary Stamp.
Thank you, Gawin.
You prompted me to look that up and that first Stamp Brooksbank was born in 1694. So it's an OLD name. That is quite a fun legacy for Jack.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Thank you, Gawin.
You prompted me to look that up and that first Stamp Brooksbank was born in 1794. So it's an OLD name. That is quite a fun legacy for Jack.
Small correction, 1694, he died in 1756. He was the three times great grandfather of the 1st baron, who in return was Jack's great-grandfather. Mary likely named her son Stamp because he was his grandfather's (Richard Stamp) heir. Richard's brother was Lord mayor of London. It wasn't that uncommon to use a maiden name as a given name for your child, though more commonly as a middle name.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Charles' is likely to be held at Highgrove. His 60th birthday was. It is usually where he hosts those type of events for himself and his wife.

I would expect a party for Bea, not sure at the main castle.
Charles will probably have more than one party. One at BP for donors to his causes, one for family at another Crown property and one for his loyal cadre of old friends at Highgrove.

I don't see Bea getting a Windsor Castle party in August, when it is tourist season and/or a cleaning and renovation period. Also, the last big York party had a bunch of hired Little People to be Eugenie's Seven Dwarfs as it was a fancy-dress shindig and she was Snow White. The Household would probably like to sidestep the possibility of a party where physically challenged people are shipped in to be props for royals in costume.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Charles will probably have more than one party. One at BP for donors to his causes, one for family at another Crown property and one for his loyal cadre of old friends at Highgrove.

I don't see Bea getting a Windsor Castle party in August, when it is tourist season and/or a cleaning and renovation period. Also, the last big York party had a bunch of hired Little People to be Eugenie's Seven Dwarfs as it was a fancy-dress shindig and she was Snow White. The Household would probably like to sidestep the possibility of a party where physically challenged people are shipped in to be props for royals in costume.
Yes, because the only possible party that could be held is one with little people It's her 30th birthday, there will be some kind of celebration. Since the family home is at Windsor Great Park, Royal lodge, it will likely be at Windsor. Just not at the castle which is what I said. I highly doubt the queen would protest celebrating her granddaughter's 30th birthday.

If they do what they did for his 60th, there will be 2 events for Charles. A huge gala thrown by the queen at Buckingham palace, and a private event thrown by Charles at Highgrove.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Let's stay on topic...the family and background of Jack Brooksbank.

Any and all off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Jack Christopher Stamp Brooksbank apparently inherited his other names from family members as well.

According to the following article (posted earlier) he was named Jack after his great-grandfather, Sir John "Jack" Coke.

And Christopher was the name of his maternal grandmother's brother Christopher Holland who was killed at the age 21 while serving in World War II.

Jack's grandmother Joanna (Holland) Newton speaks of her brother:

http://www.lancaster-lm658.co.uk/lan.../#.Wm8Ca6inGM9
Old 01-29-2018, 08:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Jack Christopher Stamp Brooksbank apparently inherited his other names from family members as well.

According to the following article (posted earlier) he was named Jack after his great-grandfather, Sir John "Jack" Coke.

So his "real" given name is John Christopher Stamp, and he is just called Jack by his family? (Like President Kennedy).