The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Interesting! I googled some of the names mentioned and as an aside, discovered it is actually quite common for Americans to marry into the peerage, and there have been many since Reconstruction. Fascinating history!
If you want to learn more I suggest the following books:

Start with this one:
"To Marry an English Lord: Tales of Wealth and Marriage, Sex and Snobbery" by Gail MacColl & Carol Wallace

Also:
"In a Gilded Cage: From Heiress to Duchess" by Marian Fowler

"The Transatlantic Marriage Bureau: Husband Hunting in the Gilded Age: How American Heiresses Conquered the Aristocracy" by Julie Ferry

Old 01-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Would people frown on Jack because he doesn't have a university degree, which I assume must be not so common for a male from his social class these days ?

On a side note, Prince Andrew and Prince Harry don't have university degrees either, but at least they pursued a career in the military as officers, which some people very loosely equate to having a bachelor's degree, although that is not true in the UK.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 PM
Serene Highness

Well, it didn't stop him from being succesful, so personally I wouldn't. University isn't everything and not for everyone.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm a firm believer that pieces of paper do not make success in life. Its what is done with the knowledge one does have and how they apply it. Jack, obviously, is able to find his niche in the world and make a go of things without needing a degree.

Harry definitely doesn't seem to need a degree to do what he does. His natural charisma and his ability to communicate with people isn't something that needed to be taught. He's a natural.

Education is a wonderful thing but there are other aspects just as important in finding success. Motivation and discipline and determination also play huge roles.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 01-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Courtier

Jack Brooksbank is also related to Elizabeth Gaskell, author of Cranford, North and South, and Wives and Daughters, etc. She was a first cousin of his ancestor Charles Holland. Her husband William Gaskell and Jack's ancestor Elizabeth (Gaskell) Holland (wife of Charles) were siblings.

Chart 1

Samuel Holland (1734-1816)
|
Elizabeth Holland (1764-1812) & Rev. William Stevenson
|
Elizabeth Cleghorn Stevenson “Mrs. Gaskell” (1810-1865)
m. Rev. William Gaskell (1805-1884) (see Chart 3)

Chart 2

Samuel Holland (1734-1816)
|
Samuel Holland (1768-1851)
|
Charles Holland (1799-1870) & Elizabeth Gaskell (see Chart 3)
|
Sir Arthur Holland (1843-1928)
|
Godfrey Holland (1872-1966)
|
Joanna Holland (b, 1926) & Michael Newton
|
Nicola Newton (b. 1953) & George Brooksbank
|
Jack Brooksbank (b. 1986)

Chart 3

William Gaskell (1777-1819) – see Chart 2 for his son Rev. William Gaskell (1805-1884)
|
Elizabeth Gaskell (1811-1892) & Charles Holland (see Chart 2)
|
Sir Arthur Holland (1843-1928)
|
Godfrey Holland (1872-1966)
|
Joanna Holland (b. 1926) & Michael Newton
|
Nicola Newton (b. 1953) & George Brooksbank
|
Jack Brooksbank (b. 1986)
Old 01-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
University isn't everything and not for everyone.
Precisely, and [arguably] an easy way of incurring vast amounts of debt one then spends ones 20/30s encumbered by...
Old 01-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Nobility

All right, what's going on? People throwing shade on Jack for not being a uni student? That's some bs!

We need to have fun. It's a happy occasion! It's a wedding! It's love!

A to Z Jack Brooksbank! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't care who this mans great great grand uncle's brother was. What has he done of note if anything; I may MAY care what his parents do but not much farther back. He hasn't gone to college... so what's his job?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-23-2018, 10:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I don't care who this mans great great grand uncle's brother was. What has he done of note if anything; I may MAY care what his parents do but not much farther back. He hasn't gone to college... so what's his job?
Did you follow the link in post #15?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
ummmmm...loving, honoring and cherishing Eugenie?
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I read it but I'm hoping for more; maybe I'm not understanding but he doesn't seem to have anything necessarily steady. He seems to change professions every few years; but I might not be grasping the situation well.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I read it but I'm hoping for more; maybe I'm not understanding but he doesn't seem to have anything necessarily steady. He seems to change professions every few years; but I might not be grasping the situation well.
The article linked in post #15 states:

"Jack skipped university and started working in the hospitality trade. He first worked in pubs including the Admiral Codrington in Chelsea, London then got a job at the trendy restaurant, the Markham Inn, also in the Chelsea area of London, which has since closed. Then Jack worked as the manager of the nightclub Mahiki in Mayfair, London, frequented by the younger royals. Currently, he is the brand ambassador of Casamigos Tequila, which was co-founded by George Clooney, Rande Gerber, and Mike Meldman. In 2017, Jack set up a wholesale company for the sale of wine, beer, and other alcoholic beverage called Jack Brooksbank Limited."

He didn't go to university and he's now 30 years old so presumably this is a list of all the jobs he's held for the past 12 years or so, from working in a pub, to manager, and now owning his own company. Sounds to me like he's steadily moving up.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I don't think he would propose unless he had a credible game plan. Good for him for keeping it close to the vest.

He's moved around in the same industry, he has not changed "professions". He didn't go from undertaker to florist to liposuction clinic receptionist. Rising in ones' field is admirable.

Jack, right now, is a wine merchant, the same profession as the Duchess of Cornwall's father, the grand old man Bruce Shand.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:15 PM
Administrator

There is nothing wrong with not going off to college if that's not for you.

In one of the articles I read about him, he stated that he has always wanted to be in the hospitality business...and honestly...it looks like his series of jobs are just a natural progression of that. Started as a waiter, became a nightclub manager and now serves as a wine merchant.

In 2013, he said: 'I want to create a chain of pubs. It has been my dream since I was 18. I have fond memories of Sunday roasts in pubs with log fires, and it’s something I want to recreate. I love pubs and often go to my local for a pint.'

Read more: Who is Jack Brooksbank? | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Honestly, you dont need to go to college to start, manage or operate a pub. You need to know the inns and outs of a pub besides eating there.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
My take on it is he had a series of increasingly responsible jobs in restaurants/bars, found a niche related to that field that suited him and opened a business - his alcohol/wine business.
My guess is that as the manager at the bar he saw that selling alcohol to bars was a lot more lucrative that managing one bar and based on what he had learned and the connections he’d made he was able to open his own business supplying alcohol to restaurants/bars/etc..
How successful his business will be is not yet known.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Courtier

A wine merchant! The Queen Mum would have loved him!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:05 AM
Gentry

I believe he wouldn’t have proposed unless he could financially afford to support a Princess as his spouse. He may not have a conventional education but he’s done well for himself with lots of hard work.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think its very possible that both Eugenie and Jack knew a long time ago which way their relationship was heading and had a plan to have things well established before marriage and family. The time has come to take the plunge, so to speak, and I'm sure that they'll be successful in everything they do in the future. These are two people that know what they're doing.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
My take on it is he had a series of increasingly responsible jobs in restaurants/bars, found a niche related to that field that suited him and opened a business - his alcohol/wine business.
My guess is that as the manager at the bar he saw that selling alcohol to bars was a lot more lucrative that managing one bar and based on what he had learned and the connections he’d made he was able to open his own business supplying alcohol to restaurants/bars/etc..
How successful his business will be is not yet known.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me better understand that, you really helped. I wasn't able to see the connections between his professions; I thought he was moving around but you illustrated that he was moving up.
He seems to have done ok with himself and I applaud him for trying to become a success.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Signing on to be ambassador for the George Clooney/Randee Gerber brand is a step in the right direction. According to Wikipedia (with established links) in 2013, he partnered with George Clooney to launch Casamigos Tequila.[4] In June 2017, it was sold to Diageo for $700 million, with an additional $300 million possible depending on the company's performance over the next ten years. He also started out by opening a bar.