The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Well said Zonk! Anyone would think these girls are in their late twenties, having squandered their youth and their looks with a decade of over-indulgence.

Yes their weddings should be quite large, and if Tom's wedding was anything to go by, HM looked like she was having a ball "Off Duty" in family setting. It was the media that started the sniping about the sponsership deal and let's face it, they could hardly be called impartial sources.

Conversely, had HM or Princess Ann stumped up the cash for a big family bash, the naysayers would have whinged about extravagance, and let's not forget, HM cancelled her own anniversary bash because of public sensibilities in straighten times. IMO she admired Tom's ingenuity, and to be honest, I can't see "Uncle Charles" being a stingy or stuffy influence should he have ascended the throne when the York girles marry.

As to the notion of paring back the "firm", the BRF are exactly that, a family, and because they are who they are spend a lot of time in each other's company, so yes I think the newer generation will be more obvious on the Balcony and if it's a "Family Affair" I can see the blended family dragged along too.

As for Charity Work, give them time to grow up and finish their education before complaining about their lack of participation.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Gentry

Who is Tom?

Do you mean Peter?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Administrator

I believe its Tom Parker Bowles and that once Charles is King he will start to appear on the balcony. Not saying that he won't attend these events, but I think we will continue to see the grandchildren of Queen Elizabeth II and the great grandchildern of George V on the balcony before him.

But that's way off topic.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
That's not reasonable. Minor royals have always (at least since the days of Queen Mary's mother) some type of chairty work. I expect if Beatrice and Euguenie are going to contine to live off the government so to speak...they will have to earn their keep.
I would have thought that the York girls would not be living off the government, and should hence, be allowed to pursue independent careers and lives of their own. Nobody is stopping them doing charitable work if they so desire, but in time, they should expect to have to do more for a living than cutting ribbons and presenting medals. As a living example, they should look to their mother for inspiration who, despite all that has and is said about her, has a life of her own.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Serene Highness

I don't believe either of the York girls will be living off the government once the come of age. It would be nice if they could pursue careers away from the RF, however, being princesses, I don't think they could be totally independent of the RF. It's easier for Sarah, a former wife of the 2nd son of the Monarch, to go her own way than it would be for two royal HRHs of the Blood who will always be royalty (Sarah lost that when she and Andrew divorced).
Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

..... though I am sure you will agree being a Princess of the blood would not stop B & E pursuing independent careers like Zara and Peter, who for all practical purposes are just as close to the throne, despite their not having titles.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, but unlike Peter and Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are HRH's and as such, more will be expected of them in terms of representing the RF as they get older. No matter whether they are on the civil list or not, they will eventually be looked upon to take over the minor roles that have traditionally belonged to the Gloucesters and the Kents. There will come a day when William is king, and with Beatrice and Eugenie being his only HRH cousins, the burden of the many minor royal appearances will fall to them. Most likely though, they will not be getting paid by the taxpayer. Let's hope they marry very well.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Commoner

I'm sorry but I dont understand how B&E are minor royalty. They are 5th and 6th to the throne,correct?! They are HRH'S. MAybe someone how is 15th or 16th in line is a minor royalty.

Also the girls are young, William did not start his "duty's" until after he finished school, so why should the girls?

And yes I am scared to she what Bee wears!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Serene Highness

I don't believe B & E are considered minor royals. They are HRHs, grandchildren of the monarch and are within the Top Ten in line to the throne. From what I believe, minor royals would be the Gloucester, the Kents and Pss Alexandra. Now, in years to come when William and Harry are married w families and Wm is on the throne, the York girls may be considered minor royals then. But not now.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the point I was making was that as time goes by, Will and Harry and have families of their own, and with time, B&E will get more and more distant from the throne - quite like the Gloucesters and Kents are, as has been pointed out. All that means is that whilst there may be minor royal duties for them in the future, they are not in any way going to be central to the monarchy. It would, therefore, be in their best interests to develop lives/careers for themselves that are independent of the monarchy, irrespective of whether they hold HRH titles or are Princesses or not. Charles does not appear to be keen to have a large working royal family - and frankly, I don't think the British public either. It would therefore make sense for these girls and the children of Sophie and Edward to build independent careers for themselves - quite like Sophie & Edward did try themselves.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Didn't the Windsors and/or BP have a committee that looked into the future of the Royals a few years ago, and the consensus was what Muriel described?

It would seem IMO that if the public isn't willing to bankroll a large working Royal Family, then the respective members of the family should be "freed" of some duties and free to engage in careers.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

I rather think it will depend, when they get married, as to how big and who will pay. Possibly if William & Harry are married and have produced heirs, the wedding will be smaller and at least partially paid for by their parents. (OK, possibly wishful thinking)
Old 08-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Courtier

York Girls' Weddings, etc.

With regard to the York girls, I can see both parents teaming up to make sure that the weddings of their daughters are Royal, and appropriately so. I can see the York girls also continuing after their marriages to join their grandmother on the balcony, as well as their uncle (should he reign) and their cousin William of Wales during his reign. After all, even after the scaling back of the Royal family, we see the Gloucesters and Kents on the balcony. However, I don’t see the Wessex children there in future reigns, given that their parents have taken a step away from the center of the family, nor the family of the Princess Royal.

A Royal marriage for one of the York girls? Wow, I’d have to go hit the books to see who would match up.

Beyond this, a bit of a t/j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I believe its Tom Parker Bowles and that once Charles is King he will start to appear on the balcony. Not saying that he won't attend these events, but I think we will continue to see the grandchildren of Queen Elizabeth II and the great grandchildern of George V on the balcony before him.

But that's way off topic.

I do not believe that HM The Queen attended the wedding of “Tom” (Tom Parker Bowles) nor can I find a picture of her dancing at his reception. I’d certainly like to see the link to that. This article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4231932.stm

would certainly have mentioned her as one of the Royals attending, and it does not. Nor does this one: http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/09/12/parkerbowles/

Nowhere in this thread:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f207/tom-parker-bowles-sara-buys-2005-a-7086-4.html

does it mention that HM attended the wedding or reception of her son’s second wife’s son by her prior marriage.

I cannot imagine why Tom Parker Bowles, not of royal blood, would be according the privilege of the balcony.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Aristocracy

In response to earlier comments.... the Queen doesn't even attend all the weddings within her own family, so why would she attend TPB's? < ed irrelevant comment: Warren > And I agree that TPB does not belong on the balcony.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post

A Royal marriage for one of the York girls? Wow, Id have to go hit the books to see who would match up.
I don't see any of the Yorkeses marry into a foreign country, so I guess no Royal marriage for them. After all, even queen Victoria's daughters did not all marry royally, as did the other Princesses of the Blood after them.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Serene Highness

Regardless of who they marry, I hope it's for true love.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Regardless of who they marry, I hope it's for true love.
On that I hope we can all agree!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I don't see any of the Yorkeses marry into a foreign country, so I guess no Royal marriage for them. After all, even queen Victoria's daughters did not all marry royally, as did the other Princesses of the Blood after them.
This is not the 19th century, when marrying a 'foreigner' was some huge thing. It would be quite easy for B and E to marry some Greek or Italian royalty who both live in the UK, or any other European royal blood. Or perhaps a noble, yes I know commoner not royalty, but still with titles, estates and a place in the aristocratic setting. I recall a show when living in London, speculating on possible brides for William, and one episode was on noble/royal brides. The Duke of Westminster's daughter, and Princess Madeline were included as well as a Greek princess. I don't know what young noble/royal men are around for the Yorks, but they would meet many in the social circles they travel, and it is likely they could end up with one. Look at Denmark (an ausie) or even Peter (Canadian) or Princess Maxima who is from Argentina.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 AM
Gentry

I believe the York princesses will have a large wedding. When it comes to minor royal weddings just think when princess Alexandra got married, it was at Westminster and from what I've seen and read it was more lavish than Edwards. I think it goes on the couple and what they want. I hope they have the traditional wedding with all the thrills and carriage rides, they are royalty and they deserve it.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Alexandra was a very popular figure and a "working royal" from the time that she was a very young woman. I don't think that the York sisters will have that kind of support for top-tier weddings unless they take up royal duties in a big way after they finish university. I see them having marriages at St. Georges or at other churches in London, not Westminster Abbey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfizzle101 View Post
when princess Alexandra got married, it was at Westminster and from what I've seen and read it was more lavish than Edwards. I think it goes on the couple and what they want.

Tags
princess beatrice, princess eugenie, wedding