The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #461  
Old 11-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
I think both York princess should get married at York. The people of York should get something out of the connection. And York Minster is indeed very beautiful.
__________________

__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 11-27-2014, 02:46 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 885
But their weddings won't be public affairs they will be like Zara and Peters. I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Westminster I think it's what their mother would want of course they want be as big or as lavish as that one was. As for Prince Phillip and Sarah I think he does really hate her the fact she only shows up when he isn't around seems to support that it isn't by accident. But he knows how to behave he would go and just avoid Sarah it could be done. Besides this could still be years down the track neither seem to be in a hurry things and things can change. Could you imagine the outcry if they had huge weddings? Harry whenever he marries will be the next big one.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 11-27-2014, 03:47 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
They might not be senior Royals, but there are still Royal Princesses and always will be, no matter who they marry.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 11-27-2014, 05:22 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
But their weddings won't be public affairs they will be like Zara and Peters. I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Westminster I think it's what their mother would want of course they want be as big or as lavish as that one was. As for Prince Phillip and Sarah I think he does really hate her the fact she only shows up when he isn't around seems to support that it isn't by accident. But he knows how to behave he would go and just avoid Sarah it could be done. Besides this could still be years down the track neither seem to be in a hurry things and things can change. Could you imagine the outcry if they had huge weddings? Harry whenever he marries will be the next big one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
They might not be senior Royals, but there are still Royal Princesses and always will be, no matter who they marry.
Royal princesses they might be, but I would be surprised if they got to marry at the Abbey.

I suspect even Harry might end up getting married at St George's rather than the Abbey.
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 11-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,925
I hope at least one of the York princesses gets married at Wesminster Abbey and if not then York Minster (or another Cathedral perhaps - St Edmundsbury Cathedral is rather lovely). But I hope St George's isn't used because if the wedding was televised and the BBC had anything to do with it, we would spent 2 hours watching choirboys along with awkward shots through stone pillars and anything else other than the important vital moments!
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 11-27-2014, 07:20 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I hope at least one of the York princesses gets married at Wesminster Abbey and if not then York Minster (or another Cathedral perhaps - St Edmundsbury Cathedral is rather lovely). But I hope St George's isn't used because if the wedding was televised and the BBC had anything to do with it, we would spent 2 hours watching choirboys along with awkward shots through stone pillars and anything else other than the important vital moments!
I have no issue with them going to York Minster or any cathedral for that matter (other than the Abbey). I suspect part of the locational choice may be based on where a reception may be held.
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I have no issue with them going to York Minster or any cathedral for that matter (other than the Abbey). I suspect part of the locational choice may be based on where a reception may be held.
I agree that the choice of church will be connected with the choice of location for the reception. And I suspect that the choice will be a very personal one. They will probably go for a venue to which they have a personal connection, and probably owned by their family. I don't know if there is such a place near York.
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 11-27-2014, 11:26 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I agree that the choice of church will be connected with the choice of location for the reception. And I suspect that the choice will be a very personal one. They will probably go for a venue to which they have a personal connection, and probably owned by their family. I don't know if there is such a place near York.
As far as I know, the BRF do not have any material property in the York area. If the girls really wanted it, they could always hold a reception at a local hotel or country house that may be available to hire, there are plenty around.

My own sense is that they will want a reception at Windsor. They may not get the castle, but like Peter Phillips, may get to hold a reception at Frogmore. It is close to London, and to Royal Lodge, where their parents live. It will also be easy for Elton John and the rest of the glitzy crowd to get to.
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 11-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I hope at least one of the York princesses gets married at Wesminster Abbey and if not then York Minster (or another Cathedral perhaps - St Edmundsbury Cathedral is rather lovely). But I hope St George's isn't used because if the wedding was televised and the BBC had anything to do with it, we would spent 2 hours watching choirboys along with awkward shots through stone pillars and anything else other than the important vital moments!
I think St. George's Chapel is simply beautiful, but I sincerely hope it doesn't feel as claustrophobic as it looks on TV. I remember watching the Edward/Sophie nuptials and feel how squeezed in everything looked!
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 11-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,192
The main property connected to the royal family in Yorkshire is Harewood House - the homes of the Earls of Harewood. The current Earl is the son of the eldest of George V's grandchildren and immediately after Princess Alexandra's descendants in the line of succession.


Beatrice was there for the Olympic Torch relay so a connection does exist but how far it is from York itself I don't know.


I don't see a big, glamorous wedding at the Abbey for either of these girls - the public simply wouldn't wear the expense involved. They aren't liked or respected, unlike William and Harry.


A smaller, private affair at St Georges - no TV coverage etc. The days of the televised weddings of the extended family are over I think.
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 11-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
I really think that if a Monarch is going to create Royal dukedoms for their children, especially dukedoms with such strong historical significance as York, even though such dukedoms are only symbolic and do not an income-producing duchy, the holders of the titles should endeavour to create and maintain a connection with the geographical location and the people living there. I think they should make an effort to have weddings and other similar celebrations within the geographical area. I think it would just be a nice thing to do for the people who live in the area their title implies they have a connection with. Good PR, if you will.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 11-29-2014, 01:42 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA, United States
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Royal princesses they might be, but I would be surprised if they got to marry at the Abbey.

I suspect even Harry might end up getting married at St George's rather than the Abbey.
Anyone can get married in the Abbey. It is after all a church and marriages are performed there on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 11-29-2014, 02:11 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Anyone can get married in the Abbey. It is after all a church and marriages are performed there on a regular basis.
This is not the case. The general public cannot get married in Westminster Abbey.

The church is what is known as a Royal Peculiar and comes under the direct authority of the Monarch.

The only people that can marry in the church are members of the Royal Family, Order of the Bath members and their children, and anyone living in the Abbey's Precincts.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 11-29-2014, 02:42 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA, United States
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is not the case. The general public cannot get married in Westminster Abbey.

The church is what is known as a Royal Peculiar and comes under the direct authority of the Monarch.

The only people that can marry in the church are members of the Royal Family, Order of the Bath members and their children, and anyone living in the Abbey's Precincts.
I stand corrected then. I did know "locals" could marry there, and that Diana's parents were married there. I would see no reason why Beatrice and/or Eugenie wouldn't marry there if they wanted to. Private wedding on a Saturday? Why not? They're not going to get the tv, public holiday package anyway so even tho' the press would stir up a storm in a teacup it wouldn't be taxpayer money beyond that of normal security for the family.
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 11-29-2014, 02:49 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,383
They would need the Queen's permission - same applies to Chapel Royal, St George's Windsor - these are also royal perculiars.

My guess is St George's Windsor but there is another royal perculiar: Royal Chapel of All Saints (in the grounds of the Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park). The chapel is less than one hundred yards from the Royal Lodge, and is approached from the lodge by a covered walk. I believe its where the body of QEQM lay prior to coming to Westminster Hall.

Info from Wiki

Royal Chapel of All Saints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/3..._chapel300.jpg
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 11-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New York City, United States
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I was thinking last night about the girls... Their nuptials will be regarded as more private events than the weddings of William, obviously, and Harry. If the monarch (either EII or Charles) declines to foot the bills on behalf of their parents, Andrew and Sarah will have to come up with a sizeable amount of cash. Andrew doesn't seem to be terribly flush, but Sarah has entrepreneurial capacity. And we all know that Yorks are willing to sell themselves to Hello! or similar magazines.

Should we expect another embarassment for BP, or should the monarch and the family decide on some rules for weddings and commercialism, and if so, what should they be?
___________

Prince Andrew is a millionaire as are all the Queen's four children. From the time her children were able to represent the Queen throughout the world on foreign visits each has been given a state allowance. These funds were invested in the best Blue Chip stock around. Also, to the children who were born at the time, Anne and Charles, have received inheritances left to them by George V, Queen Mary and George VI in their wills. The Queen Mother (Multimillionaire) left money to Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, and all her great grandchildren. When Sarah and Andrew got divorced, he did not touch his personal finances, but the Queen, it is speculated, paid a reasonable lump sum to Sarah and subsequently a smaller annuity....not enough for Sarah who spends money in an extravagant, irresponsible way.
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 11-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydia View Post
___________

Prince Andrew is a millionaire as are all the Queen's four children.
True

Quote:
From the time her children were able to represent the Queen throughout the world on foreign visits each has been given a state allowance.
Not true

Charles has never received a state allowance as he has the income of the Duchy of Cornwall.

Anne and Andrew were on the Civil List - but from 1992 onwards The Queen repaid that money to the state from her own personal wealth (as she did with the same moneys paid to her sister and cousins)

Edward was never on the Civil List as he wasn't working for the Queen by 1992 and so was never given a state allowance.

The Civil List no longer exists as it was replace in 2012 by the Sovereign Grant which is there to pay the expenses of The Queen and Philip, expenses for other only when representing The Queen, travel when on behalf of the nation, State Visits etc.

Charles pays these expenses for himself, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry from the Duchy of Cornwall.

The Queen still pays the expenses for her younger children and cousins.

Quote:
These funds were invested in the best Blue Chip stock around.
We actually don't know how the money was invested as that information is private and all we can do is speculate. There were reports in the 90s that The Queen took a large loss when the dot.com industries lost money.

Quote:
Also, to the children who were born at the time, Anne and Charles, have received inheritances left to them by George V, Queen Mary and George VI in their wills.
Being pedantic here but neither Charles nor Anne would have received anything from George V. He died in 1936 when The Queen was 9 years old. George V left the bulk of his estate to his own eldest son, Edward VIII with smaller amounts to his younger children. That preserves the fortune as there is no death duties on monarch to monarch inheritance but there is on anything left to the younger children.

Queen Mary and George VI would have established some sort of trust funds for their descendants but how much may have been put into trust for Charles and Anne we don't know.

Quote:
The Queen Mother (Multimillionaire) left money to Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, and all her great grandchildren.
Again we don't know this as The Queen Mum's will has never been made public. We do know that the majority of the inheritance would have been left to The Queen - again to avoid death duties - as her inheritance left to her daughter would have been death duties free while anything left to anyone else would have been subject to death duties.

There have been reports that she gave money to her descendants more than 7 years before she died - making it exempt from death duties but again there has never been any confirmation that that happened from anyone within the family as they do believe that there are things that should be kept private.

Quote:
When Sarah and Andrew got divorced, he did not touch his personal finances, but the Queen, it is speculated, paid a reasonable lump sum to Sarah and subsequently a smaller annuity....not enough for Sarah who spends money in an extravagant, irresponsible way.
The settlement was made public:

3 million pounds - 2 million into trust funds for Beatrice and Eugenie, 500,000 for a house that has never been bought, 500,00 for herself and an annual payment from Andrew's naval pay of around 30,000 pounds a year at the time and now from his pension.

She effectively therefore received 500,000 pounds plus a very small annuity.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 11-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New York City, United States
Posts: 2
Hi, Iluvbertie.

Thanks much for your most informative post. My sketchy information regarding the British Royals have indeed been brought up to date. A few years ago, The New York Times published information regarding the Queen Mother's wealth. It said she had 65 million dollars and intended to leave it to her grandchildren and great grandchildren in a trust fund, although her will was not published.

George V died in 1936, and Princess Elizabeth was born 1n 1926. I recall reading when George V was recuperating, the young toddler Princess Elizabeth stayed by his side playing with him which warmed his heart as he had never been affectionate with his own children. 1936 was the year of three kings, George V, Edward VIII, and George VI. I will admit the House of Windsor was not cash heavy at the time.

Over the years I've gotten much information from books regarding the Royals, and some authors take poetic license when writing. At any rate, I do appreciate your most enlightening post.
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 11-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
I stand corrected then. I did know "locals" could marry there, and that Diana's parents were married there. I would see no reason why Beatrice and/or Eugenie wouldn't marry there if they wanted to. Private wedding on a Saturday? Why not? They're not going to get the tv, public holiday package anyway so even tho' the press would stir up a storm in a teacup it wouldn't be taxpayer money beyond that of normal security for the family.
St Margaret's Church, Westminster is a separate Church next to Westminster Abbey. From 1840 to 1970 it was part of the diocese of London and so it was not necessary to have the Monarch's permission to marry there. It is smaller than the Abbey and so was used for marriages of the extended Royal Family as well as Members of Parliament and society weddings, especially when the Monarch's permission was not needed.

Lord Mountbatten was married at the Church when it was a part of the Diocese of London and Viscount Linley when it had reverted to its status as a Royal Peculiar. If Beatrice and Eugenie wanted a Westminster marriage, St Margaret's is a more likely venue than the Abbey itself.
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,331
Future York weddings

Found a Richard Kay article from 2010 which said the Queen Mum put £19 million in trust for great grandkids in 1994. There are 12 great grandkids. So if it's split even between them so it would probably be 2-3 million each given the money would have grown from investment. The Queen Mum didn't have a lot of cash but the art and jewels and such all went to the Queen tax free.


As for wedding venues, they could have it in Windsor like Peter or Scotland like Zara or at Sandringham. You could also do the chapel Royal and have the reception at St James if it's a small wedding.



Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
princess beatrice, princess eugenie, wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about royal weddings suturegeisha Royal Weddings General Discussion 187 06-06-2015 03:54 PM
Marriage Between Two Heirs? BritishRoyalist General Royal Discussion 41 07-30-2014 10:23 AM
Video Clips Of Luxembourg Royal Weddings USCtrojan Royal Weddings 7 07-02-2005 05:58 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit 2016 catherine middleton style countess of wessex coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events dom duarte duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll felipe vi grand duchess josephine-charlotte grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl gustaf's birthday king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises