The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Do we actually know that Princess Anne and Mark Phillips refused to help with the costs of this wedding, or is this just conjecture to explain why the rights were sold to Hello?

Old 05-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Do we actually know that Princess Anne and Mark Phillips refused to help with the costs of this wedding, or is this just conjecture to explain why the rights were sold to Hello?
Purely conjecture.

It could be that Anne and her family paid for the wedding, dresses, church fees, flowers, reception etc and Peter was paid to allow Hello to do the photographs, with the added promise of a top quality album.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

May 18th Daily Mail " The family of the bride was unable to pay the cost of the lavish ceremony and Princess Anne is said to have been unwilling to foot the E50,000 bill"
Old 05-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I'm glad she wasn't unwilling for her son to find the money from Hello, then. I mean, I have a hard time believing that she wasn't consulted about it.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
May 18th Daily Mail " The family of the bride was unable to pay the cost of the lavish ceremony and Princess Anne is said to have been unwilling to foot the E50,000 bill"
Unless we see a statement to the effect that Anne refused to pay for anything, we simply don't know who paid for what.

The Mail only says 'is said to have been unwilling', not even an unnamed source!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Courtier

i think whenBeatrice gets married, she will also have a hello exclusive because she has admitted to being a big fan of the magazine
Old 05-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Courtier

I think Beatrice and Eugenie's weddings will be well publicized just based on the history they already have with the media...their Tatler photoshoots and interviews, Beatrice on the catwalk with her mom, Beatrice with a small role in the Queen Victoria film...they don't shy away from the spotlight!

On the other hand, even Sarah is very careful about watching her step around the Queen. I don't think they'll do anything that doesn't have the Queen's approval.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_windsor View Post
call me old fashioned but when a girl gets married, isnt the wedding her husbands responsibility.
I always thought the bride's parents paid for the wedding and the groom's parents paid for the honeymoon.
Though in both my weddings, we paid for pretty much everything.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
The difference between the weddings of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and the Phillips wedding is that they are titled members of the Royal Family, so expectations are likely to be even higher.

The whole business regarding the Hello deal is really troubling since it leaves someone in the RF guilty of gross indifference. Without question, it is unlikely that Autumn's family could pay for that kind of affair, so the cost would have to be shouldered by the groom's family. You could go on and on about how they didn't need to have such a lavish event, but then we would have weeks of ranting about the small manner in which the wedding of the Queens oldest granchild was married in, ex. "The Queen must not approve, so they kept it small", etc etc. So either the Queen didn't feel the need to help out the newlyweds with the bill (and why should she, she already gave them the chapel and Frogmore) or Anne and Mark didn't want to stump up for the cost, which would be truly shameful if it was true. It wasn't the photos themselves that cheapened the image of the RF, it was the apparant need of money to pay for the affair that did.

As for the Yorks though, I hope the girls have large weddings with all the hoopla that goes along with them. They are fifth and sixth in line to the throne. A fact that seems to get lost on some as not being a big deal. Say what you want to about their mother, but at least Sarah would be most likely happy to write a million pound check to pay for the affair unlike Anne. After all, as some are happy to point out, she and Andrew are always pushing for their daughters to be acknowledged as first rate royals. As for pictures, well, I enjoyed looking at the ones from Peter's wedding. Didn't everyone else that followed it? Or did you shield your eyes? The execution of the photos was the disturbing point. Who wouldn't want to see photos of the Queen watching happily while her grandson was married? Or see photos of the guests enjoying themselves at the reception? My hope is that when the York girls get married, the weddings are paid for by their parents and lots of approved photos are published by the family so there are no more commercial deals made that cheapen the RF image.
Perfectly said, Kimebear! There is obviously a great deal going on that we do not know, and to expect Autumn's family to pay for such an event is quite unfair. Did Earl Spencer pay for Diana's wedding? Did Ronald Ferguson pay for Sarah's? Did Sophie's father pay for his daughter's wedding? I admit, Peter begin a grandson is different, but the public was excited and clamouring for a beautiful wedding--were we not all posting for months about which tiara she would wear? It is unreasonable to expect a family that is not wealthy to pay for such an expensive affair. I have to say that I am disappointed in Anne and I do think that the York girls will have wonderfully extravagant weddings; it will be nice to see, but I cringe when I think about what Bea will wear.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Unless we see a statement to the effect that Anne refused to pay for anything, we simply don't know who paid for what.

The Mail only says 'is said to have been unwilling', not even an unnamed source!
Well, my point is, if QE or Princess Anne had paid for the wedding it negates the reason for the Bride and Groom to sell the rights. Certainly either QE/PA could have made the stipulation that the photos cant be sold. For what ever reason they chose not to. So the Bride and Groom sold the rights to cover the cost.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well, my point is, if QE or Princess Anne had paid for the wedding it negates the reason for the Bride and Groom to sell the rights. Certainly either QE/PA could have made the stipulation that the photos cant be sold. For what ever reason they chose not to. So the Bride and Groom sold the rights to cover the cost.
But we don't know that. We know they were paid to allow Hello to take exclusive pictures, but we don't know that Anne & Mark or HM didn't pay for the reception - unless you have a link to a statement from either?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Perfectly said, Kimebear! There is obviously a great deal going on that we do not know, and to expect Autumn's family to pay for such an event is quite unfair. Did Earl Spencer pay for Diana's wedding? Did Ronald Ferguson pay for Sarah's? Did Sophie's father pay for his daughter's wedding? I admit, Peter begin a grandson is different, but the public was excited and clamouring for a beautiful wedding--were we not all posting for months about which tiara she would wear? It is unreasonable to expect a family that is not wealthy to pay for such an expensive affair. I have to say that I am disappointed in Anne and I do think that the York girls will have wonderfully extravagant weddings; it will be nice to see, but I cringe when I think about what Bea will wear.
The weddings you mentioned were to full blown princes, children of the monarch.

The public here don't seem to have been excited, just folk on the royalty boards, like this one. I shouldn't think that many were on here even.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Royal Highness

after reading some of the posts something ocurred to me. where would the greatest expense have come from? they wouldn't have had to pay for a "reception hall" as they used frogmore. they wouldn't have had to hire cars as the vehicles they used belonged to HM if i'm not mistaken. the biggest expense would have been the wedding gown and bridal party dresses and flowers correct? perhaps they were a gift from anne? it's not like a wedding for one of us where we would have had to hire or buy everything.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Nobility

Andrew got a 3 mil bonus when he sold Sunninghill. Maybe he will set it aside or his daughters' future nuptuals.

Prince's office confirms sale of house for £15m | UK news | The Guardian

Cat
Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Serene Highness

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was excited to see Peter and Autumn marry and I will be even more excited to see two royal princesses marry in the future. Most likely the only people that are excited about any royal wedding are the ones that follow royalty in the first place. Regardless of the relationship of the newlyweds to the monarch.

I'm with you Janet. Beatrice doesn't often pick flattering clothes. Maybe she will show us all by wearing a stunning and becoming wedding dress. Wouldn't that be wonderful!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Too young! Too young! Too young!
(Insert "La La" icon here!)
Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
My guess is, that a lot of the Princess Royal's money is tied up in trust, and land and equipment, like most farmers. (So it's quite easy to be "rich" but not have cash readily available.) And she probably spends quite a lot of money on her sporting interests, hosting events at Gatcombe, charity, Zara's riding, etc.

In Peter and Autumn's case, I would expect the major expenses to be flowers, food and drink, and staff. Her dress, while out of my budget!, was allegedly between 2,000 and 5,000 pounds, not exorbitant for a royal bride. I'm sure P&A didn't put on a tacky cash bar for their guests (I hate it when that happens!).
Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I'm sure P&A didn't put on a tacky cash bar for their guests (I hate it when that happens!).
Me too! For our second wedding, Mr. Russo and I popped down to Cali. cuz the booze is cheaper and we had an open bar. Very successful, I might add! And we had lots left over so we got a LOT of invites to other parties after that!
Does anybody know if HM or anyone of the RF has any lands they grow wine or beer (hops) or manufacture spirits so in the future to off-set these costs? Alcohol is a chunk of change in a wedding!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Her dress, while out of my budget!, was allegedly between 2,000 and 5,000 pounds, not exorbitant for a royal bride. I'm sure P&A didn't put on a tacky cash bar for their guests (I hate it when that happens!).
Her dress was not the most expensive, considering prices here.

What is a cash bar?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Her dress was not the most expensive, considering prices here.

What is a cash bar?
Exactly what it says, you pay for your own drinks!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
Exactly what it says, you pay for your own drinks!
Cheapskates!

Tags
princess beatrice, princess eugenie, wedding