The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
One alternative way of looking at things that strikes me is that perhaps the Royals - including even Prince Philip - don't actually HATE Sarah the person but HATE the damage that they perceive her to be doing to the monarchy by her behaviour, including her blatant commerical activity, which, however you look on it, is basically cashing in on her NON-Royal status....

In my very humble opinion, it does not help the situation that Sarah is so often seen at social occasions with her girls, and even holding their hands on occasions! [poor girls - and it is all a bit surprising bearing in mind that when Beatrice and Eugenie were much younger, there was much comment about how she was virtually ignoring her childre, always rushing off and gallivanting off without them].

I think that if Sarah was not seen out with her daughters - or to be more accurate, PHOTOGRAPHED out with her daughters [I am not suggesting for one moment that Sarah gives up going to occasions to which she is 'invited for her own sake' and not just as an appendage to her daughters] and instead tried to live more of her life out of the public eye, things would improve for her:there is so MUCH Sarah could do in order to remain below the radar - not walking with B&E etc etc. not going off on all these expensive holidays where it appears that her presence is in some way being used commercially to boost the profile of that place etc etc. This sounds a bit cruel, but I am thinking how Sarah could perhaps help her image, particularly with the BRF, if she started to live a less high-profile and public existence. And I did laugh at the Channel 6 interview in which Sarah was appearing to comment disaprovingly on how she had a public profile - I cannot think of any other person apart from actresses and possibly Sir Richard Branson who have worked so hard on 'being visible'.

Be a little more discreet now, Sarah, and the BRF might find it easier to accept you.

Just my thoughts,
Alex
Fixed it for you Alex.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I think the DofE would never stop HM or anyone attending his granddaughters wedding because of their mother. Sarah did go to Diana's funeral and was there with the family so I really think that for such a public event they would put on a happy face but would make sure they didn't spend too much time with her.
That might have been right some 14 years ago when Diana died - though if memory serves me right, on this occasion, Andrew was maybe the only royal next to Sarah and his daughters. Nowadays, Sarah had the opportunity ( and didn't miss it) to pile up more embarrassing shame on the BRF therefore I'm not so sure about the DoE and I'm even voting for his side.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought I heard in this thread that David was American. I don't think Americans buy into the mores of England of curtseying, bowing, and walking behind the person of "higher rank". Beatrice is only 24yrs old right? I doubt she is giving much thought to marriage seriously, girls today don't have to rush into marriage anymore.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I thought I heard in this thread that David was American. I don't think Americans buy into the mores of England of curtseying, bowing, and walking behind the person of "higher rank". Beatrice is only 24yrs old right? I doubt she is giving much thought to marriage seriously, girls today don't have to rush into marriage anymore.
While we generally don't care for that stuff, being asked to call someone My Lord would set off some of the more jingoistic of my countrymen, we know how to follow the rules of another culture. With immigration being the lifeblood of the nation we learn how to quickly act to at least not insult someone.

Dave has been around that long enough to know what's what. He knows the rules so it shouldn't be an issue to abide by them. We know that certain cultures dictate that you bow to certain people, not a big issue, there might be other rules that would make him bristle (I for one have an issue with kneeling before someone I don't love) but it's up to him whether or not he's willing to take the hit. And I doubt that anything would bother him so much that it'd be a deal breaker.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

He literally "has her back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I noticed this too, in the photographs of them before the Ecclestone wedding. Normally I might see this as a red flag in a relationship; however, I think in this case, both Dave and Beatrice know that socially, she's above him as an HRH and that she - not Dave - is the one the paparazzi want to photograph. So she takes the brunt of the attention for him.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
While we generally don't care for that stuff, being asked to call someone My Lord would set off some of the more jingoistic of my countrymen, we know how to follow the rules of another culture. With immigration being the lifeblood of the nation we learn how to quickly act to at least not insult someone.

Dave has been around that long enough to know what's what. He knows the rules so it shouldn't be an issue to abide by them. We know that certain cultures dictate that you bow to certain people, not a big issue, there might be other rules that would make him bristle (I for one have an issue with kneeling before someone I don't love) but it's up to him whether or not he's willing to take the hit. And I doubt that anything would bother him so much that it'd be a deal breaker.
Kneeling? Unless you are expecting him to get a knighthood we generally don't do a lot of kneeling in the UK. I think the last time I did it was to pick up something that had fallen on the floor and rolled under a chair. Bowing, like a curtsey, is also optional these days when being presented to royalty but it is from the neck as a rule and not from the waist as in Japan.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd have no problem curtseying to the Japanese Emperor. But isn't there some weird rule that bowing to the King/Queen of England if you are American is treason? LMAO I remember hearing that somewhere. :rushestogoogletoseekinfo:
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Kneeling? Unless you are expecting him to get a knighthood we generally don't do a lot of kneeling in the UK. I think the last time I did it was to pick up something that had fallen on the floor and rolled under a chair. Bowing, like a curtsey, is also optional these days when being presented to royalty but it is from the neck as a rule and not from the waist as in Japan.
I shouldn't have mentioned the kneeling, just a personal thing, I know it's not really done aside from knighthoods and one other thing involving the Prime Minster if I remember correctly. As for bowing, it may be considered optional but the press you'd get for not doing so could make things quite uncomfortable.

Like I said, Dave knows the rules. If he's marries Beatrice and has children the kids will carry no title so, unless something catastrophic happens in the Wales part of the family, the whole monarchy thing will fade into the background as they settle into married life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'd have no problem curtseying to the Japanese Emperor. But isn't there some weird rule that bowing to the King/Queen of England if you are American is treason? LMAO I remember hearing that somewhere. :rushestogoogletoseekinfo:
Not treason at all. You're not swearing allegiance to the Monarch at the expense of the States. The one major thing we have is that it is illegal to create a title a title of nobility. You can't even accept one without permission if you're in government.

"Article 1 section nine of the US constitution:
Quote:
"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State."
Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Courtier

I understand that Dave Clark comes from a wealthy family, but wealthy enough to support a royal princess (in the manner to which she has become accustomed)? Did Beatrice buy an apartment for herself when she was in college? I seem to remember some small uproar about the luxurious digs she was touring a few years back. Where would they live? I can't imagine that her inheritance from QEQM was big enough to extend her lifestyle indefinitely.

Soooo.....can anybody shed some light on their lifestyle for me? Would they be in line for an apartment at Kensington or some other palace? I'm actually concerned about how they will make ends meet! (My worry is probably misplaced but I'm curious.)
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
I understand that Dave Clark comes from a wealthy family, but wealthy enough to support a royal princess (in the manner to which she has become accustomed)? Did Beatrice buy an apartment for herself when she was in college? I seem to remember some small uproar about the luxurious digs she was touring a few years back. Where would they live? I can't imagine that her inheritance from QEQM was big enough to extend her lifestyle indefinitely.
Well, Dave Clark works for Richard Branson, who is quite wealthy; so I would think that as Dave Clark moves up in the company, he could become quite wealthy, too.

When she was studying at Goldsmith's, Beatrice stayed in an apartment in St. James' Palace, I believe. The apartment was refurbished before she moved in, and I think it did/does have more space than most students would use - but she did also have protection officers who would need to be there as well.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Nobility

David Clark has lived in the UK since 1988. His father, Michael Clark retired in 2005 as chief legal officer for Cadbury Schweppes. The family home in Hampstead, North London is/was worth about 5 million pounds. So Dave is probably not a poor boy.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
David Clark has lived in the UK since 1988. His father, Michael Clark retired in 2005 as chief legal officer for Cadbury Schweppes. The family home in Hampstead, North London is/was worth about 5 million pounds. So Dave is probably not a poor boy.
Nor is he very American. lol 1988? Unless he's be jumping back an forth the guy has got to be more a English than American at this point. I'm not taking a shot it's just that I thought he was someone who had moved to the UK sometime in the last decade. Any problems assumed because of the country of his birth aren't really an issue, he's grown up in the Kingdom, he knows it.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting that the family moved to the UK the same year that Princess Beatrice was born. I'm guessing that he speaks with a British accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Nor is he very American. lol 1988? Unless he's be jumping back an forth the guy has got to be more a English than American at this point.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Nobility

This article gives some information about Dave Clark and speculates about Beatrice's future role.
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Express Yourself :: Is Dashing Dave good enough for new-look Princess Beatrice?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Courtier

This story makes Dave out to be a real social climber. It will be interesting to see what Bea does next now that she won't be doing royal duties. I think Bea will remember that Dave was with her when she was bigger hopefully they both have a little more substance then what the report is saying.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Mr. Clark works for his living. He has no title. Ergo, he is middle-class and must be brought to heel by the tabloids.

Quote:
This story makes Dave out to be a real social climber.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
This story makes Dave out to be a real social climber. It will be interesting to see what Bea does next now that she won't be doing royal duties. I think Bea will remember that Dave was with her when she was bigger hopefully they both have a little more substance then what the report is saying.

As the reports of her not doing royal duties has been around for the last 6 months and the idea of a smaller royal family for a decade and Dave has remained with her it is clear that it is Bea he is interested in.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Courtier

Yes, the article seemed to be making some digs at Dave. Not sure if there's any truth to them; Beatrice and Dave always look like a united couple to me, but who knows?

One thing I noticed from the article (this question should probably go in Beatrice's current events thread) is that Beatrice apparently doesn't have any career options lined up yet. I hope she does soon, since it's now September and she finished her degree several months ago. I wouldn't want Beatrice to be labeled as another York freeloader.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

Certain aspects of "the press" will find fault with anyone Pss B is involved with. If the goal is to judge and criticize, anyone can find anything about anyone to ridicule. They seem like a happy couple that has been together for quite some time. I think that pretty much speaks for itself.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Certain aspects of "the press" will find fault with anyone Pss B is involved with. If the goal is to judge and criticize, anyone can find anything about anyone to ridicule. They seem like a happy couple that has been together for quite some time. I think that pretty much speaks for itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Y
One thing I noticed from the article (this question should probably go in Beatrice's current events thread) is that Beatrice apparently doesn't have any career options lined up yet. I hope she does soon, since it's now September and she finished her degree several months ago. I wouldn't want Beatrice to be labeled as another York freeloader.
However, "the press" will report that HRH only received any job she may have in the future as a result of who she is, not her qualifications. She will also be seen as "taking away" a job from someone "who really needs it" and Eugenie, James and Louise will deal with the same issue if they don't assume public duties. Back in the day, Viscount Linley was accused of trading on his "royal connections" when he started his now successful business. Somehow, Peter and Zara have escaped most of this, probably due to the fact that they are plain Mr.and Miss (or Mrs.) and not titled in any way - and the press have lauded The Princess Royal for refusing titles for her children (conveniently forgetting that would have entailed giving Mark Phillips a title too!). Grandchildren of a monarch not in immediate succession just can't win: they will be either royal free-loaders or cashing in on their connections - the press will allow no middle-ground.

Again, this should probably go elsewhere...

Tags
princess beatrice, princess eugenie, wedding