The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
One alternative way of looking at things that strikes me is that perhaps the Royals - including even Prince Philip - don't actually HATE Sarah the person but HATE the damage that they perceive her to be doing to the monarchy by her behaviour, including her blatant commerical activity, which, however you look on it, is basically cashing in on her NON-Royal status....

In my very humble opinion, it does not help the situation that Sarah is so often seen at social occasions with her girls, and even holding their hands on occasions! [poor girls - and it is all a bit surprising bearing in mind that when Beatrice and Eugenie were much younger, there was much comment about how she was virtually ignoring her childre, always rushing off and gallivanting off without them].

I think that if Sarah was not seen out with her daughters - or to be more accurate, PHOTOGRAPHED out with her daughters [I am not suggesting for one moment that Sarah gives up going to occasions to which she is 'invited for her own sake' and not just as an appendage to her daughters] and instead tried to live more of her life out of the public eye, things would improve for her:there is so MUCH Sarah could do in order to remain below the radar - not walking with B&E etc etc. not going off on all these expensive holidays where it appears that her presence is in some way being used commercially to boost the profile of that place etc etc. This sounds a bit cruel, but I am thinking how Sarah could perhaps help her image, particularly with the BRF, if she started to live a less high-profile and public existence. And I did laugh at the Channel 6 interview in which Sarah was appearing to comment disaprovingly on how she had a public profile - I cannot think of any other person apart from actresses and possibly Sir Richard Branson who have worked so hard on 'being visible'.

Be a little more discreet now, Sarah, and the BRF might find it easier to accept you.

Just my thoughts,
Alex
Fixed it for you Alex.
__________________

__________________
"Not MGM, not the press, not anyone can tell me what to do."--Ava Gardner
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I think the DofE would never stop HM or anyone attending his granddaughters wedding because of their mother. Sarah did go to Diana's funeral and was there with the family so I really think that for such a public event they would put on a happy face but would make sure they didn't spend too much time with her.
That might have been right some 14 years ago when Diana died - though if memory serves me right, on this occasion, Andrew was maybe the only royal next to Sarah and his daughters. Nowadays, Sarah had the opportunity ( and didn't miss it) to pile up more embarrassing shame on the BRF therefore I'm not so sure about the DoE and I'm even voting for his side.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,291
I thought I heard in this thread that David was American. I don't think Americans buy into the mores of England of curtseying, bowing, and walking behind the person of "higher rank". Beatrice is only 24yrs old right? I doubt she is giving much thought to marriage seriously, girls today don't have to rush into marriage anymore.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I thought I heard in this thread that David was American. I don't think Americans buy into the mores of England of curtseying, bowing, and walking behind the person of "higher rank". Beatrice is only 24yrs old right? I doubt she is giving much thought to marriage seriously, girls today don't have to rush into marriage anymore.
While we generally don't care for that stuff, being asked to call someone My Lord would set off some of the more jingoistic of my countrymen, we know how to follow the rules of another culture. With immigration being the lifeblood of the nation we learn how to quickly act to at least not insult someone.

Dave has been around that long enough to know what's what. He knows the rules so it shouldn't be an issue to abide by them. We know that certain cultures dictate that you bow to certain people, not a big issue, there might be other rules that would make him bristle (I for one have an issue with kneeling before someone I don't love) but it's up to him whether or not he's willing to take the hit. And I doubt that anything would bother him so much that it'd be a deal breaker.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,134
He literally "has her back."


Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I noticed this too, in the photographs of them before the Ecclestone wedding. Normally I might see this as a red flag in a relationship; however, I think in this case, both Dave and Beatrice know that socially, she's above him as an HRH and that she - not Dave - is the one the paparazzi want to photograph. So she takes the brunt of the attention for him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
While we generally don't care for that stuff, being asked to call someone My Lord would set off some of the more jingoistic of my countrymen, we know how to follow the rules of another culture. With immigration being the lifeblood of the nation we learn how to quickly act to at least not insult someone.

Dave has been around that long enough to know what's what. He knows the rules so it shouldn't be an issue to abide by them. We know that certain cultures dictate that you bow to certain people, not a big issue, there might be other rules that would make him bristle (I for one have an issue with kneeling before someone I don't love) but it's up to him whether or not he's willing to take the hit. And I doubt that anything would bother him so much that it'd be a deal breaker.
Kneeling? Unless you are expecting him to get a knighthood we generally don't do a lot of kneeling in the UK. I think the last time I did it was to pick up something that had fallen on the floor and rolled under a chair. Bowing, like a curtsey, is also optional these days when being presented to royalty but it is from the neck as a rule and not from the waist as in Japan.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,291
I'd have no problem curtseying to the Japanese Emperor. But isn't there some weird rule that bowing to the King/Queen of England if you are American is treason? LMAO I remember hearing that somewhere. :rushestogoogletoseekinfo:
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Kneeling? Unless you are expecting him to get a knighthood we generally don't do a lot of kneeling in the UK. I think the last time I did it was to pick up something that had fallen on the floor and rolled under a chair. Bowing, like a curtsey, is also optional these days when being presented to royalty but it is from the neck as a rule and not from the waist as in Japan.
I shouldn't have mentioned the kneeling, just a personal thing, I know it's not really done aside from knighthoods and one other thing involving the Prime Minster if I remember correctly. As for bowing, it may be considered optional but the press you'd get for not doing so could make things quite uncomfortable.

Like I said, Dave knows the rules. If he's marries Beatrice and has children the kids will carry no title so, unless something catastrophic happens in the Wales part of the family, the whole monarchy thing will fade into the background as they settle into married life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'd have no problem curtseying to the Japanese Emperor. But isn't there some weird rule that bowing to the King/Queen of England if you are American is treason? LMAO I remember hearing that somewhere. :rushestogoogletoseekinfo:
Not treason at all. You're not swearing allegiance to the Monarch at the expense of the States. The one major thing we have is that it is illegal to create a title a title of nobility. You can't even accept one without permission if you're in government.

"Article 1 section nine of the US constitution:
Quote:
"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
windsorgirl's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 570
I understand that Dave Clark comes from a wealthy family, but wealthy enough to support a royal princess (in the manner to which she has become accustomed)? Did Beatrice buy an apartment for herself when she was in college? I seem to remember some small uproar about the luxurious digs she was touring a few years back. Where would they live? I can't imagine that her inheritance from QEQM was big enough to extend her lifestyle indefinitely.

Soooo.....can anybody shed some light on their lifestyle for me? Would they be in line for an apartment at Kensington or some other palace? I'm actually concerned about how they will make ends meet! (My worry is probably misplaced but I'm curious.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
I understand that Dave Clark comes from a wealthy family, but wealthy enough to support a royal princess (in the manner to which she has become accustomed)? Did Beatrice buy an apartment for herself when she was in college? I seem to remember some small uproar about the luxurious digs she was touring a few years back. Where would they live? I can't imagine that her inheritance from QEQM was big enough to extend her lifestyle indefinitely.
Well, Dave Clark works for Richard Branson, who is quite wealthy; so I would think that as Dave Clark moves up in the company, he could become quite wealthy, too.

When she was studying at Goldsmith's, Beatrice stayed in an apartment in St. James' Palace, I believe. The apartment was refurbished before she moved in, and I think it did/does have more space than most students would use - but she did also have protection officers who would need to be there as well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 282
David Clark has lived in the UK since 1988. His father, Michael Clark retired in 2005 as chief legal officer for Cadbury Schweppes. The family home in Hampstead, North London is/was worth about 5 million pounds. So Dave is probably not a poor boy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
David Clark has lived in the UK since 1988. His father, Michael Clark retired in 2005 as chief legal officer for Cadbury Schweppes. The family home in Hampstead, North London is/was worth about 5 million pounds. So Dave is probably not a poor boy.
Nor is he very American. lol 1988? Unless he's be jumping back an forth the guy has got to be more a English than American at this point. I'm not taking a shot it's just that I thought he was someone who had moved to the UK sometime in the last decade. Any problems assumed because of the country of his birth aren't really an issue, he's grown up in the Kingdom, he knows it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,134
Interesting that the family moved to the UK the same year that Princess Beatrice was born. I'm guessing that he speaks with a British accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Nor is he very American. lol 1988? Unless he's be jumping back an forth the guy has got to be more a English than American at this point.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: central valley, United States
Posts: 348
This article gives some information about Dave Clark and speculates about Beatrice's future role.
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Express Yourself :: Is Dashing Dave good enough for new-look Princess Beatrice?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 737
This story makes Dave out to be a real social climber. It will be interesting to see what Bea does next now that she won't be doing royal duties. I think Bea will remember that Dave was with her when she was bigger hopefully they both have a little more substance then what the report is saying.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 09-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,134
Mr. Clark works for his living. He has no title. Ergo, he is middle-class and must be brought to heel by the tabloids.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
This story makes Dave out to be a real social climber.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
This story makes Dave out to be a real social climber. It will be interesting to see what Bea does next now that she won't be doing royal duties. I think Bea will remember that Dave was with her when she was bigger hopefully they both have a little more substance then what the report is saying.

As the reports of her not doing royal duties has been around for the last 6 months and the idea of a smaller royal family for a decade and Dave has remained with her it is clear that it is Bea he is interested in.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 09-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 974
Yes, the article seemed to be making some digs at Dave. Not sure if there's any truth to them; Beatrice and Dave always look like a united couple to me, but who knows?

One thing I noticed from the article (this question should probably go in Beatrice's current events thread) is that Beatrice apparently doesn't have any career options lined up yet. I hope she does soon, since it's now September and she finished her degree several months ago. I wouldn't want Beatrice to be labeled as another York freeloader.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Plymouth, United States
Posts: 1,307
Certain aspects of "the press" will find fault with anyone Pss B is involved with. If the goal is to judge and criticize, anyone can find anything about anyone to ridicule. They seem like a happy couple that has been together for quite some time. I think that pretty much speaks for itself.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA, United States
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Certain aspects of "the press" will find fault with anyone Pss B is involved with. If the goal is to judge and criticize, anyone can find anything about anyone to ridicule. They seem like a happy couple that has been together for quite some time. I think that pretty much speaks for itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Y
One thing I noticed from the article (this question should probably go in Beatrice's current events thread) is that Beatrice apparently doesn't have any career options lined up yet. I hope she does soon, since it's now September and she finished her degree several months ago. I wouldn't want Beatrice to be labeled as another York freeloader.
However, "the press" will report that HRH only received any job she may have in the future as a result of who she is, not her qualifications. She will also be seen as "taking away" a job from someone "who really needs it" and Eugenie, James and Louise will deal with the same issue if they don't assume public duties. Back in the day, Viscount Linley was accused of trading on his "royal connections" when he started his now successful business. Somehow, Peter and Zara have escaped most of this, probably due to the fact that they are plain Mr.and Miss (or Mrs.) and not titled in any way - and the press have lauded The Princess Royal for refusing titles for her children (conveniently forgetting that would have entailed giving Mark Phillips a title too!). Grandchildren of a monarch not in immediate succession just can't win: they will be either royal free-loaders or cashing in on their connections - the press will allow no middle-ground.

Again, this should probably go elsewhere...
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
princess beatrice, princess eugenie, wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]