Engagement of Princess Eugenie of York and Jack Brooksbank: January 22, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspected that week! Sandwiched right between the Queen returning from Balmoral and before Harry & Meghan head off to Sidney. Now everyone can attend.

What makes you think it won’t be televised? Arrival and departures from Zara’s is wedding was televised.

I suspected that week! Sandwiched right between the Queen returning from Balmoral and before Harry & Meghan head off to Sidney. Now everyone can attend.

Besides, that is when the fall foliage is usually at its peak!

It should make for some wonderful outdoor photos.

What makes you think it won’t be televised? Arrival and departures from Zara’s is wedding was televised.

I'm talking about the wedding itself. Not arrivals/departures.

LaRae

Parents get fined for taking kids out of school in the UK. I know it's not a big deal for one day, I am just surprised that it's not on a weekend. Oh well, it's their choice and there is obviously a reason for it.

Even to attend a wedding? Of course they get fined if they do so for no reason but attending a wedding seems an appropriate reason to miss one day of school if related close enough. However, this might be a cultural issue as weekend weddings are less common in the Netherlands (as the civil wedding is out of office hours in that case, so more expensive), so Friday is the most popular day to get married as it is followed by a weekend. Seems like Saturday weddings are the norm in the UK.

Even to attend a wedding? Of course they get fined if they do so for no reason but attending a wedding seems an appropriate reason to miss one day of school if related close enough. However, this might be a cultural issue as weekend weddings are less common in the Netherlands (as the civil wedding is out of office hours in that case, so more expensive), so Friday is the most popular day to get married as it is followed by a weekend. Seems like Saturday weddings are the norm in the UK.

There certainly maybe some lenience in this way, but usually unless parents get permission for their child to be out of school, they will be fined per child. It has a lot to do with attendance and that being linked to rewards in the school year. A Friday wedding is quite un-usual in my opinion. I'm getting married on a Saturday.

I guess that they were looking for a Saturday as well but apparently that didn't work out for them given their guest list, so they landed on a Friday...

And of course parents should ask permission to the school for their child to attend a wedding but I would hope that that is mostly a formality and not something that schools would consider not granting (unless the family clearly abuses that option).

As I said, the day of the week depends a lot on the country, so thanks for confirming that Saturday is the norm in the UK. In Eastern Europe the Sunday seems quite common and 'back home' the Friday is the most common (at least among my family and friends, their might be segments of society with other customs).

Last edited:
Interesting that they have chosen a Friday. Wonder if the children will take the day off school as there are a number of school age children in her family. Maybe it's a "no kids" wedding...

I believe that children will participate in the bridal party. Also, will not some of the guests that are invited to attend the wedding bring their children?

I believe that children will participate in the bridal party. Also, will not some of the guests that are invited to attend the wedding bring their children?

Only if their children are invited...

It seems that many British upper class weddings only have the bridal party children attend and not other children; is that a correct impression? If so, I cannot imagine that those children wouldn't get a day off to be a flower girl or page boy at a wedding.

Getting a day off for your parent's cousin (or your second cousin) is probably a bit too much to ask if not in the wedding party.

According to UK school guidelines, which I looked up, you get fined if it is an unexcused absence. If you make a request of the school for the day off, you wouldn't face a fine. I would think the kids in Eugenie and Jack's bridal party would have plenty of time to get that permission from school.

Well was right on likely weekend of the 13th, just the wrong day :flowers:

Tad surprised weekday when not bank holiday but maybe it was the only day that worked for the schedules of everyone.

According to UK school guidelines, which I looked up, you get fined if it is an unexcused absence. If you make a request of the school for the day off, you wouldn't face a fine.

Only if the request was accepted you wouldn't face a fine. Schools in the Windsor district (ordinary ones) break up for October half term the week after.

I do think it'll be a daytime wedding simply because of the time of year, I don't think anyone would have any issues taking children out of school as I think this will be a child friendly reception at the very least.

Looking at back copies of Hello.

Charles and Camilla - Beatrice & Eugenie (16 & 15) seem to be the only children. (Photos of arrivals only.)

Peter & Autumn - young Chattos and Linleys. Youngsters from Autumns family and children in the bridal party.

Zara & Mike - only children seem to be those in the bridal party - again, only photos are those of people arriving.

Not a scientific study by any means but it seems Peter & Autumn were really the only couple who invited children outside of the bridal party.

Will the Queen gives formal consent to the marriage of Jack and Princess Eugenie like W&K and H&M?

She doesn’t need to; Eugenie is far enough down the line of succession that she doesn’t require the Queen’s consent to marry.

I wonder if Prince Andrew will like his son-in-law, Jack.

I have a lot of questions about Mr and Mrs Brooksbank.

1) Is Jack Brooksbank the typical British upper-middle class, or is he part of British aristocracy?

Will the Queen gives formal consent to the marriage of Jack and Princess Eugenie like W&K and H&M?

No. Since the Succession to the Crown Act came into effect in 2015 only the first six need permission to marry. As Eugenie - by the time of her marriage will be 9th in the line of succession she won't need permission to marry at all.

After the new baby is born Andrew won't need permission and everyone lower than him in the line of succession will be able to marry without asking for the Queen's consent.

It means that there won't be a Privy Council meeting where the issue is raised and that Eugenie and Jack - and hopefully later Beatrice - won't get the fancy parchment consent that William and Kate have, as do Peter and Autumn and Zara and Mike. Eugenie will be the highest in the line of succession, since the introduction of Royal Marriage Act under George III to not need consent.

I wonder if Prince Andrew will like his son-in-law, Jack.

I have a lot of questions about Mr and Mrs Brooksbank.

1) Is Jack Brooksbank the typical British upper-middle class, or is he part of British aristocracy?

There is a thread about Jack's family and their background. You can find all we know about his parents and heritage there.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f113/jack-brooksbank-family-and-background-44266-3.html

His great-grandfather was a baronet. But he is descended from a younger line. The current baronet is first cousins of Jack's father.

Back
Top Bottom